Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kren_pa

front entry, how small

kren_pa
16 years ago

hi all

i am an owner of a small (well the rooms are small anyway) bungalow. the county says it is 2100 sq ft, but i find that hard to believe...in any case, the second floor rooms have those sloping ceilings and we are looking to maximize the room. for you small house fans, we actually decided against a family room addition of 500 sq ft that was designed and had bids. 100K was WAY over the budget!

we are now working with what we have and reconsidering each area of the house. as for the entry...the front of the house is a porch, 7x24. the front door enters into a room that is about 12x12. walls have been removed, so this room is bigger than it used to be and is continuous with a living room, also on the front, about 12x13. somehow the "one big room" concept (12x24) that worked in our old 900 sq ft bungalow doesn't work here, i think because of the entry door.

so...we are planning to make the entry smaller and redefining it with a room divider. this will also restore the closet (removed by PO!) to the adjacent bedroom. my question for you GWers is...how small can an entry be and still be useful? 8x12? 6x12? we know that this area will remain 12 foot on one side. the other side is flexible.

thanks in advance for any suggestions, or reports of your own SH entries. kren

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator