Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Very cute 400 sf home in NC

Here's a really adorable new 404 sf house in North Carolina. (Although I think I would have skipped the orange and blue color scheme for the kitchen, myself.)

If you click on the word Harbinger on the page, the link takes you to a slideshow with more photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: tumbleweed harbinger

Comments (6)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It is cute, but it also looks like the person who built that one enlarged it a bit, adding on a few feet on the back, and it also looks like they changed at least one of the loft areas.

I think the Tumbleweed Homes are great, well-thought out, and practical for low income or even a retirement home.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's the alternate plan. It's 300 sf without the back room (they call it bedroom on the plan) and 400 with it, if you look at both available floor plans.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My main problem with them for a retirement home is that I wouldn't like having to climb up and down that ladder now. I doubt I'd like it any better when I'm 80. :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Yeah, the ladder thing would be something to think about. Plus, those tiny houses come with such a huge price tag. Very cute though and practical (except for the ladder).

• User
    12 years ago

Really nice!
    I agree about the ladder being a problem. You just never know when you'll hurt some body part and it stops working like it should. I think a ramp is a fine thing, and having an alternate way of getting to your bed is a big plus. The old "chamber pots" used when the outhouse was outside and a walk in the dark was out of the question, it is a lot less expensive than increasing the size of your house to add such a feature near the sleeping area.

And, I also think a nice composting toilet is a good idea. Yeah, I know, I seem to be thinking about the john more than I should, but please excuse it.

Anyway, I copied the photo of the housefront. It has a solution for the two gables at the front of the house, and how it works together would be important to what I plan to do with our kitchen remodel. The back porch presently has a low shed roof, and I'll be wanting it changed to a second gable nesting a little lower than the existing main house gable to which it is attached. Hmmmm, and I could even think about adding loft storage space there too. But we'll see.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Thanks writersblock, I thought that was the bedroom at the back. No, that ladder wouldn't work at all for anyone retirement age, or probably even over 50. I lost my footing coming down the attic pull down stairway the other day. Good thing I was almost at the bottom.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994