Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligal_gw

Built in media center...anyone have?

caligal
12 years ago

I have a 970 sq ft house. Not a cottage, or a bungalow (I wish), but an 80's track home that I am trying to make cottage/retro. My kitchen is done and I love it! We are trying to get a middle room done to be an office/guest room/media room.

I want to put a media center in the closet. Has anyone done this to their small home? Here is a picture of two options I like. My space is 77" wide and the tv is a 42" flat screen. I don't think I can do the sliding doors(in 2nd photo), but i like that it still can function as a closet. Any input or ideas?

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Wow~ !! I love that second option, which really sinks the TV behind the sliding doors. If the bedroom is the room you wish for your TV, that is fantastic. It works with drawers and shelves, but would not work with hanging garments.

I also like the top one, but that is not so unique. I've seen similar setups on HGTV, where they have access to all the electronic equipment from behind. If you are really into electronics and movies and have lots of STUFF to go with the TV, that will be a convenient plan.

In our case, we have a 42 inch flat panel presently mounted above our fireplace. I'm planning to put in book shelving all along that wall, and maybe bring forward the fireplace surround a few inches to make it appear part of the whole thing. I will get a modern gas fire box with glass front and the crystal clear stuff (whatever it is called) instead of lava rocks and get rid of the smelly old style gas logs. I hate the smell of gas in the house. BUT, The entire wall being shelving, the TV above with maybe shutters to bifold and cover that black hole when it is off, it sounds very cottagey to me.

Do not worry about making it FLAT, because a cottage look allows for surfaces to be broken and lots of molding will add to the character. Be sure to keep trim all the same color for a "birthday cake icing" look, unless you want it to be very modern like the second picture.

How about showing the room that you already completed? Then we'd have a better idea of your style. Very interesting project, and so pleased to make your acquaintance. :)

• caligal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you moccasin landing for the input.
    The room is our spare room, so we won't need to hang clothes in there.
    Here is the kitchen we re-did. I like the modern yet cottage feel of the room. The lighting is kind of bad in the pics.
    It is much warmer in person.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen. It looks so comfortable, yet clean & efficient.

• caligal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank u marti... i was just posting the room we redid to show the style I like.

Anyone else have a built-in type of entertainment center they would like to share? Or pictures I could see?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I like both shown above. I've just had the wood look kind that you put together yourself (from Target, W etc). Sullivan is one brand name.

I don't plan to reuse them tho (have computer table also) - too big and bulky. I want to streamline. I have several smaller cabinet type pieces and I'll use 1 for the tv. not sure what I'll use for computer but don't see the need for such a massive unit for it anymore. My new one has the slim monitor and smaller CPU. hoping to just put on a small side table/small coffee table.

They'll be in a 9x 12 room tho and it'd be overwhelmed by a big unit.

• caligal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

right now i have a 42" tv on a nite stand sitting in the closet. It is so sad looking. I need to decide what to do and then have my husband's friend start building it. I want it done by Christmas.

My son spends the most time in the room. It is where his gaming system lives. We will be putting a desk in the room too.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

What kind of closet doors do you have on it now? That 2nd picture is a lot like your style, and I like the way the closet doors slide independently so they can meet in the middle and cover the tv or on each side to cover closet stuff. That would require tearing out all the wall around the closet though.

• caligal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marti, I don't have any doors at all. I do like the sliding door look though. I have room to slide a door to the right of the closet. Barn door style would be cute.

I found another look that might work as well. I would make the bottom cabinets a little lower. I think this tv sits a little high for viewing.