Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SHADES---mosaic question

Posted by EATREALFOOD (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 10:00

Hi Shades
I have been looking at your flkr photostream and it is inspiring me.
I would like to do some basic tile or broken plate mosaic. Can you recommend a website with the information to get started. Also is there a good online company for supplies ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SHADES---mosaic question

Sorry it took me so long to get back here. I have been working my job and yard stuff.

GW actually has a mosaic board with people to help. I have noticed it has been pretty slow lately but the more people join in the better it gets.

If you have an idea of colors and style I have lots of china stuff I can send to you. I got most of it at yard sales. Buying on line can some times be tricky.And was really happy with the seller. I have several links for mosaic tiles online. Email me and I will share them. There is also another mosaic board I can send you a link to but if I do it here they will remove it.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW mosaic and stained glass board.

o

Thank you Shades.
I did go on the mosaic forum the other night trying to pull together information. This is a book that was mentioned in one of the threads:
Mosaics: Inspiration and Original Projects for Interiors and Exteriors by Kaffe Fasset.
One important question--must I have separate room to work in ? In other words I'm concerned about flying shards in a small space LOL.

BTW I love how your sexy Caribbean "woman"(that's what she looks like to me !) project is turning out.

o

I have a milk carton I nip into. I cut away part of the top leaving the handle. Place my hands nippers and glass inside. So no you don't need a special room but do be careful. I clean up every night or when I am done for the day. I am also very aware if a chip flies and search it out before going on. I used to do it over carpet and I hated that. I put down a drop cloth. It helped some.

I only have one mosaic book. You can get free books at the library. Try inter library loan. I bought a book once at a yard sale for 10 cents and have loved it but really all the information you need is online or on u tube.

Tile nippers are not the same as glass nippers. Just so you know. Tile nippers will shatter glass and it is not pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here