Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shasta_2008

What color would you use?

shasta_2008
14 years ago

We have a 50's ranch with the original bathroom. I would like to spruce it up a bit but need suggestions with wall color. Any ideas? I'm painting the vanity and all of the trim white and we are keeping the tile for now-just a quick spruce up!

Comments (41)

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oooh, that's pretty! I would keep it too. Is that black or navy blue, I can't tell. What color is your tub & other fixtures? How big is the room? Do you like blue? If so, you could go a shade lighter than the light blue tile. You could also go with a pale yellow, or golden orange as a complementary color.

I'd look online for a color wheel so you can pick out your exact blue and then see what colors look good with it.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Wow, there are tons of color wheels out there when you type in color wheel interactive, but this one is pretty good for one of the easy ones.

True Value Paint Color Wheel

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Bummer, I don't know why it didn't show up. Let me try again.

True Value Paint Color Wheel

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks but I don't want any more blue. The darker part is black, the floor is small checked white and black, tub & toilet are white. I was kind of hoping to make it spa colored & thinking a light clay? Be honest you won't hurt my feelings! Oh and the bathroom is small 8 1/2' X 9 1/2'
    I also hear you can paint tile now a days too, is this so?

• idie2live
    14 years ago

First, let me say that I am the worst at picking colors. But since the tile is blue, it seems like you have to work some blue in to tie it in. Have you thought about a black shower curtain and black, white and blue towels and accessories? You could always buy the shower curtain and see how it looks with the floor tile and if it does not work, just return it.
    What do you mean Clay? Sort of Terra Cotta? Since you have blue, black and white, any thing else wil mean you are working with 4 colors.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Oh I know what you mean. I was tired of blue when I painted mine last time. I think the clay might work, but maybe in small amounts, or if it is tied into one of the other colors. Depending on how big your bathroom is, doing the walls in a dark color may be overwhelming. I can't quite picture clay walls over light blue tile even over the black tile division. But I'm not great at imagining colors together. I think Loretta's black & white idea is good, with clay accents. I can see that in my mind. Black and white harlequin pattern, or stripes.

I had a medium blue counter with white fixtures and white walls. It was pretty blah. I painted stripes on the wall, wide yellow, narrow blue, and medium white. It gave the room some punch, drew attention away from the old blue countertop, and tied everything together.

You could tie the clay color together with towels, shower curtain, or pictures. Over on the decorating forum, there is a link to the gallery where someone has posted a lot of bathroom inspiration pictures, and somewhere there is a blog or website just for 50's bathrooms with all those great dusty pink, green, and turquoise bathtubs and sinks.

Yes, you can paint tile. We bought a house with the dusty pink 50's tile that someone had painted yellow, or they had it painted. They left the pink tub, toilet, and sinks, just painted the tile, so all I really remember is that it was hideous. It also wouldn't come off because it was some kind of epoxy paint. It did hold up well though, blast it.

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

idie I really like your idea but I didn't mean clay I meant more like a bisque. Take a look at the shower curtain the bisque colored circle, what do you think? Maybe I could use this color on the walls? I think a black shower curtain would look good. Marti what do you think, I'm posting pics so you can give me ideas keep in mind I don't want to keep the 50's theme and the ocean/shell theme is a no no too. I would also like to paint the vanity, I have nickel brushed pulls for it and some trim to put on the doors.

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

I like the idea of that bisque color! Why not get a small sampler jar or the smallest can you can buy and try it out on a section of the wall next to the door and beside the shower curtain/tub opening shown in the next to last pic. If it were me, I would not paint the tile. It is in too good a condition to mess it up painting it. I would go with a blue, bisque, and white color scheme for the towels and mats. I think it is a lovely bathroom! Be thankful you have it and not one that looks like mine.

New paint on the vanity, the doors, door facings and walls will help make this older bathroom look fresh. And, it's just paint. If you don't like it, you do not have to live with it forever. Don't count the black trim as a color -- it is really only an accent trim, IMO.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Wow. I mean Wow! I seriously love your bathroom. I know you are tired of it & wish it were more up to date, but I would do bodily harm to have such a perfectly tiled bathroom.

Ok, now I've cleaned up the drool on my keyboard. No, I had to go back for another look at the countertop and mirror. Wow. They really knew craftsmanship back then.

Well, I can't see the bisque myself, but I'm really not good at that either. I've got a website bookmarked where you can upload a picture and paint your walls virtually. Let me go find that.

Love your black magazine/towel rack too.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Here it is. I've never used it, just saved it for the next time I couldn't decide on a color cuz I'm tired of repainting when I don't like a color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try out colors on your walls before painting

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Shasta I am all with Marti8 LOVE your Bath tiles. Beautiful. I can see the bisque color that is in your curtain. I think it would look good. I can't wait to try that color thing Marti8 put up. But alas this is a hit and run post I must get to work.

I would keep with the towels in the bisque with just a touch of black accents somewhere . Maybe the frame of a picture or??

WONDERFUL BATH!!!

Chris

• fuzzywuzzer
    14 years ago

Well i love your bathroom!

i think a very pale blue on the wall, or a white with a whisper of blue might be very nice and make the room feel larger. And then I would try a shower curtain in white with black, either in a large free-form print or a white with black trim.

And I would paint the cabinet white.

What do you think of that idea?

FW

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Shasta, you suffer from the same problem that thousands of others do - the tile setter did an awesome job, but we're tired of the color! lol The good thing about yours is that it is a nice neutral shade of blue. (Mine is puke green).
    I agree with the others that a nice bisque would look great with the blue (great tile BTW). And since I am indecisive, I would try different color shower curtains until I found the right one (White, black, blue, bisque or if the stars are aligned correctly, you may find the perfect ones with allof your colors!) lol
    If you go to Sherwin Williams to get the sample paint, they give you a quart for $5.00. I painted my vanity and mirror with a sample quart and still had paint left. Then I got 2 sample quarts to paint the bathroom walls - $10.00

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm all so happy you love my bath, I'd trade it for an outhouse if I could, LOL -kidding.
    You all gave me such wonderful ideas now I have a week to think about it. Marti8 I went to the website and have been on it for the last 3 hrs. I really like the looks of a real light sage but am still deciding. The bisque color didn't look too good or I haven't found a light one that I like.
    FW I'm trying not to add too much more blue to this room, although what you suggested is probably a good idea. I love your idea for the shower curtain.
    idie thanks for the heads up on the sample cans, it sure makes more sense and probably cheaper too!
    Shades, yes, I plan on putting something on the walls in black frame. I bought black sconces to go behind the toilet a year ago.....
    Teresa, you talked me out of painting the tile (I think) seems like too much work, besides it will be snowing before long and I won't be able to open the windows to air the paint smell out.
    I don't want want a shower curtain (like the one I have now) that is too much print, my eyeballs cross now when I sit and look at it. A nice border one would look nice but no patterns.
    Well, it's back to work tomorrow and I'll be thinking about colors all week. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and compliments, if you can think of any other ideas please let me know.

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

Shasta, no solutions here, but thought you might want to see this.

Vintage Blue Bathrooms

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Shasta...love the tile too. And many possibilities, but my thoughts are that you need to add what really works for you. I'm sometimes a bit off the wall with color, etc. Good ideas coming through for you from others.

Take a look at the link Marti posted. I even like the blue bath with wallpaper and am not a fan of wallpaper.

Marti, your link is new for me along with the one linked below. Guess it has been a while since looking for sites as a bunch are new ones are listed there.

This link has a pic of an aqua/black bathroom. Love the jump into color and similar to what you are doing. But the new tub inset doesn't work for me, it takes away from the richness of old tile.

How great to know we are on board together with our tiny baths...and kitchens. Many ideas in the links from Marti's suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua bath

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

I like that emagineer. I wonder why she quit blogging?

• mcgillicuddy
    14 years ago

What a beautiful bathroom! I would actually consider painting the doors and cabinet a glossy black. I think that would look beautiful with a cool pale blue wall color.

You could bring home a bunch of blue paint chips, find the one that most closely matches the blue tile color, and then go maybe a shade lighter.

I would then also replace the existing shower curtain with a simple white curtain with a black embroidery border (hotel-style), so the tilework can be the star. You could also get white towels with the black embroidery.

Here is a link that might be useful: White towels with black border

• mylittleprojects
    14 years ago

I would totally go with a light gray color on the walls. Paint the trim and cabinets white. Don't fight the blue tiles; just work with them. A complimentary gray would play up the blue instead of blending or fighting with it.

You have a very strong art deco theme here. You could do lighting and towel bars with a chrome finish. Try and work with the squares and pick lighting and accessories that also carry out the square pattern. No circles in this room!

• emagineer
    14 years ago

I keep thinking about your bath and there are some "today" possibilities. With your floor and fixtures in white I would paint all white...doors, trim, walls, sink base and even add white accessories. Think coastal, ocean decor. Many of the latest interiors pulls your blue right in. Ralph Lauren and Pottery Barn are showing interiors and furniture using this style. They even have the black added.

Arts/Crafts is another option to try for accessories and paint. Many great patterns which use your blue are incorporated into William Morris fabric.

My take is your bath is right in style for creating a charming, airy bath.

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh! I still haven't done a thing with the bath and here I am a year later! All of you have great ideas but I would like to stay away from the ocean theme. I did find one bath almost identical to ours (see below) I am thrilled! This is what I want. The only problem is the vanity top is the same tile as the walls. I don't know if I should take the tiles up and put white ones down or not. Any suggestions? Let me know what you think of this picture. I also have black sconces (sp) to go behing the toilet. I think the walls in this photo are white but to me they have a pinkish tint to them.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I'd replace the counter-top and paint the vanity black. The marble in the inspiration pic is gorgeous--if you like that look, you might search for a remnant, or search 'craigslist' for an old piece. Or, use white ceramic tile, if that's what you prefer. I love the tile on the walls and the floor!

• phoggie
    13 years ago

Are you keeping the counter top?....I think it looks like a gray in the pics...right? If you are keeping it, why not paint the walls a silverish light gray color...in line with a lighter shade of the counter top and you have the silver pulls. I am sure you can find towels that have silver,black,white or blue in them...correspond with a plain black shower curtain. Just some thoughts...and are you up to painting the woodwork white?

• User
    13 years ago

I think a black and white toile shower curtain front with a nice liner would also give more impact to the black/white.

Some of the toile prints have a little bit of gray shading in them, so gray would also provide additional impact for a really faint gray elsewhere in the room.

I love the arch on that doorway in the last picture above.

• traceee
    13 years ago

Is the grout in your bathroom a pale pink? If it is, have you considered changing the grout color with a grout colorant? I dont have experience with these products but there's some positive "on-line" info. Maybe some other experts on the forums know more about changing grout color.

It's funny to see your post from a year ago - you want to make a change but not sure what to do!!! I know what that feels like!!

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We painted the walls and ceiling bright white and I have to admit I do like it. I mean who can go wrong with white, lol. I am going to do the window frame in black and the vanity too. My question is what color do I paint the closet and entrance door and frame? I would like to go with the last picture I posted, I really like that style (not too 50ish)
    tracee the grout is white. I am keeping the counter top as is for now. I just wanted to spruce it up a bit because we don't have the funds for a remodel.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Love your inspiration picture. I do think if you follow it as close as you can with what you have to work with will be perfect. LOL At first I thought your inspiration picture was your finished and then went NO Not quite.

You really do have a lovely bath and I bet your bright white walls are gorgeous.

• User
    13 years ago

It's me again! :)
    I absolutely love white for a bathroom, including the trim.
    With yours, have you thought about a ribbon of black outlining the door. Not a perfect rectangle, but with something like a Grecian key in each corner of the door? Maybe a black border around the perimeter of the ceiling or at least at ceiling height on the walls? I still like either a black banded shower curtain or a black/white toile design.
    Some pattern in the room would be acceptable, even a black/white paisley if you like that.

There are automotive tapes available that can be applied (then burnished) to a paint job. If you are using two paint colors, such a tape at the meeting point could be pretty effective. I used a gold metallic automotive tape (used on car paint jobs down the sides) and it nicely straightened up the margin between an avocado bottom color and a tan top paint job, then a palm tree wallpaper border was applied at the ceiling. That was done back in 2004 when I rented for a year from a friend--and she's loved the paint colors so much she retained them as is for all this time. And when I visited the old house again a couple of weeks ago, I agree it still looks good.

Of course, in the bathroom they have white tiles but she freehanded a border trim along the top of the tilework of primary colors blue/red/yellow.....and a wildly wicked clear background shower curtain had the design of comical FISH in those three colors on it. A very happy bathroom overall.

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

I'm certainly not an expert, but you have tons of colors, textures and patterns in that room - two colors of wood, three colors of tile and three or four types/shapes/sizes/colors of tile. I would be trying to pull the existing stuff together, not adding another.

From the photos, you have blue and black tile on the walls, black and gray tile on the vanity, and black and white tile on the floor. Then you have the wood color on the doors and a different wood color on the vanity. Whatever color I used to paint would match something already in the room, if it's the floor tile. I would make the doors match the walls and maybe do something to the vanity top that would make it less noticably different from the walls. I would think about painting the vanity as well. Think fewer colors and fewer patterns.

As far as painting the tile, it's do-able. However, I would have it done as you have to use some pretty nasty chemicals to etch the tile. The paint used to be epoxy, which is not easy to deal with, either.

Just MHO.

bkay

• claudialina10
    13 years ago

I'd leave all the tile as is and paint the walls, cabinetry, doors and trim WHITE. that would look pretty.

Then keep your shower curtain and accessories simple, one solid color.

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all, it's been nearly a year and I haven't done a thing except paint the walls white, sheezz... I'm embarrased to admit it!
    I found a bath similiar to mine (again) and it had lavender tied into it. What do you think? link is below and I hope I inserted it right.
    So now it's a toss up, I must get this done before winter hits (I PROMISE) LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavendar & blue bath

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I like that! The lavender is really subtle. I really love your bathroom, and the inspiration picture you posted on Oct. 18. (I wish theses posts were numbered).

• mellyc123
    12 years ago

What about a light gray or silver gray color? There are a lot of grays that have a lavender hue so you could use the lavendar towels and accents or another color for the accent when you wanted a change.

• User
    12 years ago

Shasta, taking your time is a very good idea when you have so much to coordinate. I thought the thread was dead, and a different person had come on the scene to do something similar.

I cannot tell for sure what the color of your vanity tile is, but it looks like it could be a grayish lavender. You'd be surprised how different light brings tints to a gray. I bought some paint called SMOKED OYSTER, which I thought would be a nice gray, and when it went on the walls of my closet next to the white trim, it had a definite lavender tint. I liked it a lot, but DH wanted a taupe on the walls of the bedroom, so I put that up.

Now, another nice color is a pale milk chocolate, which works with blues. Very high style these days. And they paint the cabinets something called ESPRESSO, which is a dark chocolate brown. Very nice.

I had a PINK mid century bathroom at MoccasinLanding, and I could not stand the shellacked woodwork, so I sanded (scuffed it up good)and painted it all a semigloss white latex enamel. But I primed it with the alkyd enamel Kilz.

Similarly, I think the woodwork in your bathroom is quite dominant and interferes with any color scheme you might try to use. Maybe not a hard pure white, but something that will combine with any white you already have in the bath.

I know you think your bathroom is small, but my only bath at MoccasinLanding was 8 x 5, with the door in one of the 5 foot ends. Depending on where your door is located, you can have yourself a tub, a separate shower, and a single sink and a john. In short, you have a really nice amount of space to work with. And I love the floor tile. I forget what they call that pattern, but it is classic.

Glad to have you join us. Have fun.

• shasta_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohhhhhh moccasin I really like the idea with pale milk chocolate for the walls & expresso on the cabinet! What color would I paint the trim? I found a pretty shower curtain that I really like -which I will try to post here shortly. Do you think it would go with all the square tiles in the room? I don't know why everyone says my counter looks gray, it is blue like the rest of the tile (must be the photographers fault :) I really do like your idea but let me know if this curtain with the bordered flowers will look nice. Be honest please.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower curtain

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Shower curtain is Gorgeous. Yes I think it wold be fine with the tiles. no idea on the paint colors. Sorry. Still loving your bath.

• User
    12 years ago

Shasta, I think the shower curtain is really fine. It has the chocolate/espresso at the bottom and then the tile-like design across the top.

A note on doing your shopping. I found the Croskill brand greatly reduced at two local Tuesday Morning stores in Mobile, so maybe if you have those stores near you, a little browsing might yield an even lower price.

I think that blue frequently appears gray, especially in artificial light. And if the blue is horizontal, like your vanity top, light reflects differently than off the vertical walls. Blue is, to me, one of the most difficult colors to work with. But the chocolate/espresso will help warm up the cool nature of your room.

I would think that white trim and white doors would work nicely. But you have some white in there already, and before you get the trim painted you will begin to have an idea whether it suits you or not.

And if you drop in the Tuesday Morning stores, take a look at their towels. Big fat fluffy white ones....simple....not too expensive....easy to wash with the white clothes....will look good in any color bath. Or IMHO at least. :)

Oh yeah, the walls of the bath...a very soft milky chocolate and not a beige, you'll recognize the color when you see it. But buy a small SAMPLE to try on a test board. I'd not get a semigloss, but maybe a satin latex enamel. The tiles have the higher gloss, the satin will give a bit of a different texture to the room.