Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IKEA making prefab homes

Posted by moccasinlanding (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 23:54

Not new, since it was in April that this was written,and, it's been going on in Europe for several years.

Isn't it something, that this big corp which understands small home design and furnishing and LIVING, is thinking along those lines.

Anyway, once again, this is from LifeEdits. Take a look.
And why not? To have a total house for about $86K is not bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prefab IKEA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IKEA making prefab homes

And, then to top THAT, there is this:

IKEA IS DESIGNING ITS OWN CITY.

How about that one?

Very logical extension of the IKEA concept. But I really hope it doesn't end up shaped like a rhino or an elephant, the way the newly designed cities in China are reportedly being designed.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA designed city

o

I can't help it, but all I can picture is someone trying to load enough boxes to build a house into their min-van.......

o

LOL Jay. I've put together some Ikea furniture, I sure wouldn't want to live in an Ikea house.

o

I like that house. I like the whole pre-fab idea in general, and it appears these folks have managed to get the price point down a bit, to about $115 per square foot. The pricing is usually much higher, so pre-fab typically loses its appeal (to me) when comparing to stick-built prices in the majority of the country.

We've considered building something like this for my mom. We've got three acres and a couple of nice wooded spots where it could be tucked and we would all still have some privacy.

o

Great! Even if not the IKEA concept, it is an option to build.

o

We actually went in one this summer. It was incredibly cute. It made us regret (a little) our recent old house purchase. Everything was very well thought out.

o

I've been rethinking this concept and my original opinion. We've been exploring housing alternatives for dd. However, $86K for a small house is pretty pricey when that doesn't even include the land.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here