Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

Questions on steel wool and a scraper

desertsteph
13 years ago

what # of steel wool should I get to clean rust off of metal?

and is a straight scraper better than a bent one? not bent by accident - it's make that way.

I need something to scraper crud with and to use to help pry trim wood away from - things - like walls, cabinets etc.

Comments (25)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Depends on how badly it's rusted. Just a little rust, use 00 steel wool.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's bad. do they pkg several different #'s together? maybe I should look for something like that - I'm sure I can always use it!

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi Steph, I like a small prybar for prying wood trim apart. I like a scraper or cheap putty knife more for scraping gunk.
    ~Missy

Here is a link that might be useful: small prybar

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I bet there are some packs of assorted sizes. What are you cleaning?

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

prairie girl - thx. that's a good idea! I'll pick one up at W or HD. along with a putty knife (which I probably have but haven't a clue where).

marti - rust off of my pruning clippers (left out in rain - shame on me).

ok - such helpful people! how about a drill? how powerful of one do I need? volts? I won't be using it to build a house or anything (lol!) but to put screws in/out of many things around here.

I have one but can't seem to recharge it. my BIL says after a time they don't recharge anymore. don't know if that's right or not. He's one to toss anything that doesn't work properly w/o help/repair etc out and just buy new... do they just get old and quit working? (like my vac...) I've had it about 12 yrs but it probably hasn't been used as much in 12 yrs as a guy would use it in a yr.

then again, my BIL wouldn't think buying a new one each yr would be weird. I would.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Ohhh, I see now. Are they badly rusted? I use an SOS pad on mine, dry really well, then oil. That's when they've been left out overnight and there was a light, unexpected rain.

Yes, drill batteries can quit charging. We used to have a Makita and it lasted about 5 years before the battery died, and the batteries wouldn't hold a charge long before they finally quit charging. We bought new batteries for it once or twice and then couldn't find them any more. We had a DeWalt and the replacement batteries are really expensive. Now we have a Ridgid and the batteries don't last as long as the Makita but they hold their charge longer between charges. Also, there are other parts you can buy for it (and probably the others). We especially like the flashlight, though I use the drill a lot too. Of all the 3, we like the Ridgid best. Whatever you get, buy 2 batteries so you can always have one charged. With the Ridgid (and probably the others) you aren't supposed to charge until the battery is completely dead. But, you can't use the drill when the battery is low. So we put the low battery on the flashlight and let it drain on down and use the fresh battery to finish the job.

• User
    13 years ago

Steph, you can also get a WIRE WHEEL for a drill, and that is good for removing rust from metal.

There is also a chemical which converts the rust into good metal, and that you must use heavy chemical gloves to protect yourself. I became sensitized to the stuff many years ago, and now I am susceptible to all sorts of reactions to chemicals like mineral spirits, Ospho, Chemprime, poison ivy, bleach, etc.

This chemical I am talking about is called CHEMPRIME. It is what we used on the oil field boats. Another version of it is OSPHO. If you go that route, be very protective of your skin, and also BREATHING.

Now, I've used a Black and Decker hand held grinder which is a wonderful little $100 piece of electrical equipment. I still have it 20 years later. You can put a hard sanding disk on it, or a wire wheel, and it will take off any rust....and if you are not careful, take the metal with it. I know some folks who use it to carve wood with it, and they can use all sorts of attachments to do that.

If you use fine steel wool, also protect your hands. Those fine little strands can get into your skin quite easily. I'm all about wearing good gloves...working gloves.

If you are trying to remove this rust from your pruning clippers, why not soak them in some WD40 or LPS3? Those are lubricants, and they seem to help open up the hinges of stuff that gets stiff with rust. You can also try a nice emery file, like something you file your fingernails with. You don't want to hurt the sharp edges.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

We bought ridgid mini drills on sale early in the spring and I absolutely love them. :) They are little enough to use with ease but seem to be powerful enough for lots of jobs. When we built the deck this summer my DH drilled all the screw holes with a corded drill and I followed him with the little mini battery drill, putting in all the screws. I agree with marti8a - always buy two batteries so you always have a charged one when you need it.

There are lots of reviews online if you do some searching. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: one review site

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ah... I can try an SOS pad! maybe i recharged the battery when it wasn't drained and ruined it?

getting a part for the drill to remove rust on the rails might be easier to do! I don't think I wanna try chemicals. I react so badly to chemicals. windex and lysol kill me... my hands are in such bad shape from just water in the past few weeks.

I think when I go back to HD I'll look at those mini rigid drills. sounds like what I could handle. and check out the attachments available for it.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I don't think you can ruin a battery by charging it when it still has a charge, it just causes it not to hold the charge as long. Kind of like the older cell phone batteries.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Hi Steph, one of the things we really like about the mini drill is that all of our regular drill bits and drivers will fit. The chuck is large enough to accommodate them. We didn't have to buy any special bits. :o)

• wantoretire_did
    13 years ago

Steph - If you can use rubber gloves EVERY time you use water/chemicals, etc., it may help to cut down on the irritation. Also, have you ever tried Bag Balm on your hands? Wonderful stuff. Put it on at night w/cotton gloves. It's originally used for cows but available in lots of larger drug stores. HTH

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wantoretire- thx for the info. I think the smell of the chemicals would do me in before my hands!

I'll ask at Walgreens about the balm - but I'll have to find some very very light cotton gloves - or wait til it's down to freezing here. gloves on my hands at night would drive me nuts. (no comments on how close to that I am w/o gloves at night...)

• emagineer
    13 years ago

The older drills/drivers' batteries used to die. You would have to have extras on hand already charged or head off to buy one. Black and Decker were the worse for this.

Things have changed a great deal in the power tool world. Just looking at the tool area is like Christmas.

To the original question, I'd use a roofing scraper. Or buy a set of chisels. My son made me do this with the promise I will always use them. And I do, into second set and use them for anything and everything. They last forever and you'll find things never thought of for a job.

Here is a link that might be useful: chisels

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"you would have to have extras on hand already charged or head off to buy one."

mine didn't have changeable batteries. it just hooked into a plug and then into the socket to recharge.

I think I'll look at chisels at W tomorrow. I know I saw some there - just didn't pay much attention to them!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Doesn't anyone besides me ever use an electric drill? After battery screwdrivers and drills not being charged when I needed them, or not holding a charge, I just got over them and now use electric exclusively. I really like a push drill (like below) for starting holes for screws too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yankee push drill

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I switched to rechargeable when I moved out here because I have no outside electrical outlets.

I still only have 1 - but am hoping that I can add another 1 so there'll at least be 1 in the front and 1 in the back!

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Chemocurl,

Yes, me. I got tired a long time ago with the battery deal and the good ones (contractor) are too large/heavy for me to use. There is always a short extension cord stored with the electric power tools and wouldn't do it a different way.

Steph, sometimes the electric are less expensive too and you can always add an extension cord. I'm amazed at how many times I use one, inside and out.

To most mens' chagrin I also have an electric lawn mower. Pulling ropes to start and maintaining was too much for me.

Electric are easier to use and lighter. Especially now, than from way back when they weighed a ton. Hand tools definitely have their place too. Look at the capabilities though to make sure you spend money well. Not all are in the same bucket when it comes to speed/power and lasting. I haven't had to replace any for years. But there are more and more that turn my head and would like to spend some money on.

Sandy in CO

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

if they all have those battery paks on them now i might have to go to a plug in... those paks might make them too heavy for me to hold up if I need to use it on something vertical and from my shoulders up. i don't think i'd have the strength in my arms to do that. i'll have to check them for that in the store. I hadn't thought about the weight of them!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Sandy, I used to have an electric lawn mower and loved it! No fumes, wasn't loud. I didn't really mind mowing as much with it. Then we got a huge yard and I had to go to gas. Now we've got an acre and a riding lawn mower. I still use an electric weedeater, but I did buy a B&D battery one because it was a lighter weight.

Steph, I think it depends on the balance of the thing and how you are using it. Our Rigid is balanced well but I couldn't hold it over my head very long; I probably couldn't hold an electric one over my head very long either though.

I used the electric cord Dremel today and the blasted cord kept getting in the way. I think I nicked it once. Now that is a good weight and easy to hold if it will do the trick for you.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i probably won't be doing much any more than putting a screw in to hang a shelf or something. doubt I'll be building anything much.

the last time i 'built' something it was a 'barricade' for my old steps (from my dog). I used about 6 fence pickets and only had to brace them together and then I wired them to the rail of the steps. took me about 6 weeks and I thought I'd die...

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Steph,

If all you are doing is pics and shelves, power doesn't seem necessary. Sometimes more damage to wall trying to hang. I'd wait and see what you really need.

Marti,
    I'm not against BD, they have most likely changed since long ago (10 yrs). At the time I got really tired of having to buy batteries. No clue why they wouldn't hold a charge after a year, even buying their new "gold" ones.

The new dremel is a magnet. Like the way they have changed the design. May consider since I have more than enough attachments.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

The weight (or lack thereof) is one of the reasons I like the mini drills.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i have to remember to look at drills on my next trip to HD or Lowe's! i keep forgetting. The weight of it will be a major consideration because of my weak / painful hands. my arms are weaker than yrs ago also. the 'bulk' of it will also matter for gripping it.

dbf's new huge wet/dry vac says 'RIGID' on it... lol!

• User
    13 years ago

I agree that B & D has changed a lot over the years. My hand held grinder was purchased almost 20 years ago and it is still good. One of my favorite tools, because I hate power tools in general. Also, I have a tiny Dremel, it just looks better to me, not hard to store. Of course, I also love the Tiger Saw, a Porter Cable reciprocating saw that can cut almost ANYTHING with the proper blade. Fantastic tool. And a nice rotary sander which can get into tight spaces, like corners. The devil is always in the detail work.

I had my own personal tools before we got married 4 years ago. I keep my tools very clean, and like to have them close by when a job turns up. It really irritates me that DH has taken some of them under his "protection," which means they are now grimy, coated in paint, grease, and I have to search for them in the cold/heat of the garage (up north) or the shed (down south). I had several versions of needlenose plyers and cable cutters, all kept lubed properly so they always worked. He even broke my Snoopy lunch box, which held my set of tools for working with rope and such. I'd had that lunch box for over 20 years! A real bummer to lose it. I get no respect!!!! (rant over)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz