Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Trying out pictures over the bed - opinions?

TxMarti
13 years ago

I currently have a green comforter on this bed and am planning on changing to something with blue, so I pulled the green one off for these pictures. Better you see white than green while trying to decide, right?

{{gwi:2075859}}

As usual, I'm standing in the closet with the camera pulled as far back as possible to take this picture. The painting over the bed is an oil painting in a darker blue frame. I don't care for the frame color and thought I might paint it some other color if it stays, but what color?

What I like is the colors in the painting and the subject. What bothers me is that the bed isn't centered on the wall, therefore, the painting isn't centered on the wall and I think the vertical shape of it may compete the with the vertical shape of the mirror. Or is that just me?

The other thing that bothers me is the way it looks from the door.

{{gwi:2075860}}

Again with the off-centered-ness. If I use this painting here, it looks like something else belongs on the adjacent wall.

What do you think? Any suggestions? I've got a lot of pictures, and might have something better I can use there.

Comments (7)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the pic there. it does look like maybe it should go just a tiny bit to the left and be straightened. that part might be the angle tho.

I think it looks fine with the oval mirror there.

I can't see the colors in the painting that well but I like the dark frame, so maybe a dark wood tone frame?

if it were me I'd put a simple cross on the side wall. If that isn't something you'd like, I'm sure you'll find something.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Pretty painting. AND the bed and dresser are pretty too. I think it looks fine as it is above the bed but then I can never see straight or crooked off set or not. Why all my pictures are crooked. LOL

I also thought something on the other wall other then picture would be great. Something with irregular shape.

• User
    13 years ago

If you have another picture which can have a landscape shape and not a portrait shape (be horizontally mounted so it is wider than it is tall), it would fit better with the mirror. Just keep the above-bed painting and frame the same height as the top of the mirror.

If I could see the entire wall that you are working with, I'd be able to tell if you might balance that wall by adding a couple of smaller pictures to the left side of the bed. And what about bedside lamps and tables? Isn't that mirror hung above your old sewing machine cabinet? Or was it an old desk? I cannot recall now.

But you can achieve an asymmetrical balance by varying the size of the lamps or bedside tables. To make them just alike would invite someone to note that the room is not a symmetrical balance. Get your balance but do it without symmetry.

Is that the color wall you will have permanently? I thought it was going to be a deeper color overall, maybe the flash on your camera faded the tone out?

Anyway, try a horizontally framed picture in that spot.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Moc is right on. Can you find another in the same style/colors? The current one would work well beside the drapes...if I'm seeing the dimensions correctly.

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Hi, I don't post here often, but I thought I'd chime in. I tend to agree that a horizontal rectangular painting may work better on that wall. However, I do like the painting and I am wondering what it might look like if you painted the frame in a burnished antiqued brass. That might pick up and accent the colors of your furniture and also the colors in the painting. Cheers, -Kim

• garden_obsessed
    13 years ago

Hello there,

I've never posted here but I have a suggestion...how about you hang the mirror over the bed in a horizontal position, and then hang the artwork where the mirror was (over the nightstand). This would solve two issues you mentioned. First, I think your headboard needs more "weight" and since they are the same color, this would do it. I'm sure when you put your bedspread and pillows up it practically disappears. It's such a nice headboard, I wonder if there's any way you could raise it? Maybe install it on the wall higher? Second, doing this would minimize the different heights of the artwork and mirror. The different heights don't bother me much but it's something you mentioned.

If I were to paint the frame, taking into consideration your furniture color, I would paint it a matte black. It's elegant, neutral, and timeless, plus the artwork colors would look nice against this color frame.

Since your bed isn't centered on the wall, have you considered placing it on an angle by the window? This would take the focus off that problem and can really look nice. It often opens up a small room, as long as you can walk around the bed.

I really like your furniture, by the way!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, it's taken me so long to get back to this. My dd came into town for homecoming last weekend, and the first time I got back online after taking them to the airport Monday, I got a nasty virus that shut down my computer. Just got it out of the shop (yes, I couldn't clean it myself - it was that bad).

Anyway, to answer your questions....

steph:

"I can't see the colors in the painting that well but I like the dark frame, so maybe a dark wood tone frame?"color> The colors are pastels, mostly light blue, with some medium blues, pinks, and then other dabs of color. I think a wood tone would be a good choice. Maybe with a metallic over it?

"if it were me I'd put a simple cross on the side wall. If that isn't something you'd like, I'm sure you'll find something."color> Oh I like that idea.

"it does look like maybe it should go just a tiny bit to the left and be straightened. that part might be the angle tho"color> We measured so it should be centered, but could be crooked. As usual, I'm crammed in the closet when I took the photo. ;)

ML (and emagineer):

"If I could see the entire wall that you are working with, I'd be able to tell if you might balance that wall by adding a couple of smaller pictures to the left side of the bed."color> The bed and little dresser take up the whole wall. Here's a picture that shows the whole wall better, with a horizontal picture frame over the bed. (It was the only large thing I had to get a visual. Please excuse the junk on the dresser, it's stuff dd wanted to take home with her but it has to wait until Christmas when she brings her car.)

{{gwi:2075862}}

"And what about bedside lamps and tables? Isn't that mirror hung above your old sewing machine cabinet? Or was it an old desk? I cannot recall now." There's no room for a bedside table. I'm not wild about the size of the lamp on the little dresser, but it was either that or a big brass lamp or a buffet lamp. I thought this one matched the style best. This room is 10x10 and all that is in there is this bed (full size) and the little dresser. There is enough room on the other side of the bed that I can squeeze in to open the window and at the foot of the bed to open the closet door. It's tight. I'm trying to think what sewing machine cabinet you mean. I used to have an old treadle cabinet in the den but I'm not sure I ever showed it here. I had a vertical picture over it though. I can't think of any other mirrors I have.

If you have another picture which can have a landscape shape and not a portrait shape Just keep the above-bed painting and frame the same height as the top of the mirror.color> You would think, with as many pictures as I have stacked in the corner, that I would have a horizontal picture. But I don't. The only thing I could find is this picture frame. I just hung it on the nail that was already there, which makes it a little higher than the mirror. I put the blue picture on the adjacent wall. Again with the bad pictures, but this camera doesn't like the lighting and a flash didn't work with the mirror. Also, I'm out in the hall holding the camera against the door frame so I couldn't really see what I was taking a picture of.

{{gwi:2075863}}

"But you can achieve an asymmetrical balance by varying the size of the lamps or bedside tables. To make them just alike would invite someone to note that the room is not a symmetrical balance. Get your balance but do it without symmetry."color> Now that you've seen the whole room, do you have any ideas? btw, the wall adjacent to the little dresser has a quilt rack and quilt from the corner to the door.

Is that the color wall you will have permanently? I thought it was going to be a deeper color overall, maybe the flash on your camera faded the tone out?color> Yes, that's the color - it's a tan, but usually looks yellow. Not my first choice with the color of the wood, but I wanted the same or similar colors throughout the house, and it was this or white as far as dh was concerned. I'm working on him to go gray though. I adore gray. If he doesn't agree, there's always next year when he goes on his annual hunting trip. lol

kimkitchy:

"I tend to agree that a horizontal rectangular painting may work better on that wall. However, I do like the painting and I am wondering what it might look like if you painted the frame in a burnished antiqued brass. That might pick up and accent the colors of your furniture and also the colors in the painting."color> I was wondering that too, and do have some paint in that color. You can't tell in these pictures, but there is a linen lining part in the frame and it's rather dirty. I'm not sure what to do about that. Never tried to paint one.

garden_obsessed:

"I've never posted here but I have a suggestion...how about you hang the mirror over the bed in a horizontal position, and then hang the artwork where the mirror was (over the nightstand). This would solve two issues you mentioned.color> Wouldn't work with this mirror because the hanging thingy on the back will only work vertically. The mirror used to be attached to the dresser, but somewhere along the line, someone took it off and it is hung by the parts that were left on the back. However, I like your idea and I think another oval thing would look good there.

First, I think your headboard needs more "weight" and since they are the same color, this would do it. I'm sure when you put your bedspread and pillows up it practically disappears. It's such a nice headboard, I wonder if there's any way you could raise it? Maybe install it on the wall higher? Second, doing this would minimize the different heights of the artwork and mirror. The different heights don't bother me much but it's something you mentioned.color> The headboard seems small because I just put a high profile mattress on the frame. It's an old four-poster and the headboard and footboard are connected with side boards and that is what holds the mattress. When I get around to making a quilt, I won't have extra pillows on the bed. The ones in shams just get thrown on the floor by guests anyway.

"If I were to paint the frame, taking into consideration your furniture color, I would paint it a matte black. It's elegant, neutral, and timeless, plus the artwork colors would look nice against this color frame."color> I'm not sure about black with so much pastel, but if I put other dark colors (like a cross or metal something, then it would blend).

"Since your bed isn't centered on the wall, have you considered placing it on an angle by the window? This would take the focus off that problem and can really look nice. It often opens up a small room, as long as you can walk around the bed."color> There's no room. The closet doors wouldn't open.

"I really like your furniture, by the way!"color> Thank you. I do too. It belonged to my grandmother and she gave it to me when I was 12.