Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

215 sq ft 'Flat Pack' House by Tata

Nancy in Mich
12 years ago

I somehow got subscribed to Anchor Bay Tile's newsletter and they had this article about a house that Tata (a manufacturer in India that I know of by their cars) is selling for about US$700.

They include a floor plan in the article.

If you are not familiar with the term, "flat pack" describes how all of those build-it-yourself furniture pieces are made, to fit into a flattened cardboard box for shipping. RTA kitchen cupboards and Ikea furniture are "flat pack".

Here is a link that might be useful: Tata's Flat Pack House

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

That's really small, but a boon for low income people.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Dam, the shower is almost as big as the kitchen! What do they mean by $700.00? If that is US Dollars what in the hell are they selling you?

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

WOW that IS a small one. Considering their bedroom and living room is only one foot larger than our guest/sewing room I do not think I could do it. but it would be a roof over your head. I do not see any way for heating. Tried to find a picture of this more then just the floor plan.

I am stretching my brain this early. I think in our city the house has to be at least 320 SQ FT. Will look it up toda. Curious now.

Thanks for the link Very interesting.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

Interesting concept. Also interesting: a search for Tata flat houses (or something like that) brought up many articles from many countries but the text was the same (or nearly so) in all of them. Copied from a press release? Still, it's interesting. I wonder if they will really last for twenty years.

• User
    12 years ago

millworkman, I don't think that's the shower. At least the lines marking walls exclude it. I don't know what it is though.

• User
    12 years ago

Haven't looked at it yet, cuz when I do I'll be off on a wild goose chase and won't be back for hours. For now, I will add my comments which require no checking.

First off, such a 'flat pack' house would have to meet local code. That is one big problem in many parts of the US. Someone who is not wealthy enough to influence the city government would be less likely to get such permission, than a big developer who wants to put up such dwellings close together and be a slum landlord. The situation then would be the provision of municipal services such as water, sewer, power, phone. Population density is a consideration, like we cannot have anyone living in our 450 sq foot Teahouse, because of population density, and then subdivision rules in various neighborhoods do not allow homes of more or less square footage on their areas.

We are always shooting ourselves in the foot, it seems. We want to allow folks to get smaller homes, but then make it hard for them to find a place to build. If they picked the top school district for their home, you bet someone would scream if they were not "just like us."

So all other things being equal, it is nice to see that some places in the world are thinking small is beautiful.

Of c ourse, we might consider breeding smaller people to make less of an impact on the earth's resources one day. Miniature horses don't need as much pasture land or food. Just an example.

Oh yeah. My power just came back on about an hour ago. Been off since last Thursday I think. Time flies when you're having fun. :)

• User
    12 years ago

It just dawned on me, my 25 x 20 approx. Teahouse is 400 square feet, right?

With a loft that is 8 x 20
    So hmmmm, why not get one of those used highway vans, move several together, and build a house too? The raceways for piping and electrical can be run outside the containers or between two of them, so you can walk into the utility spaces, and service things there. If you have the space, or the land, you can add on any time. Like the lowly oyster keeps building on to its shell.

Great idea. Just very small small small. A short term option or a single person option. I love sheds, and of course this would qualify as one.

• User
    12 years ago

I got a kick of this ML: Of c ourse, we might consider breeding smaller people to make less of an impact on the earth's resources one day. Miniature horses don't need as much pasture land or food. Just an example.

I'm there already! Too bad I live with a giant.

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

If I recall correctly, I saw a Paris "apartment" about this size this week on House Hunter's International for $140,000 U. S. dollars. :)

• User
    12 years ago

Ahhh, PFMastin, what a good place to get rid of a few extra US RRRR quickly....

I am glad to find someone else who watched HGTV. House Hunters International is a good check for Americans to see how other nations live.

• cosmo_nj
    12 years ago

Interesting. In India, $700 USD is an absolute fortune for many (as in - more than a year's salary). If these could start to replace the blue tarp shanty dwellings, it could be a huge quality of life improvement.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES