Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Start of 'Salvaged' Kitchen remodel...

Until now, I've been calling this a kitchen 'face-lift', because that was all we had planned. As often happens, one thing leads to another, and we've planned a few more improvements. You can skip to the bottom for a link to pics.

When we decided to add on a family dining/play room (used when the extended family gathers), I told my hubby that all we would need to do would be finish off the new openings (one from the kitchen/one from the LR), and replace the counter-tops in the kitchen--probably with laminate. We'd have someone else take the measurements, finish the tops in their shop, pop the old ones off, and install the new ones. We could even cut and re-use one piece of the old counter-top in our new addition. I was going to repaint, remove wall-paper, and add a backsplash myself, because he does not enjoy those activites. ;)

But, then I found some beautiful black marble tiles, found Gardenweb while searching for info on black marble, and found a wonderful resource in all of you! I also found some epoxy-resin table tops from an old school, for counter-tops, and some vintage cabinets, salvaged from another old school. The cabinets will fit our North wall if we move the stove out. I've always wanted a vented hood, which I can have only if we move the stove to the South wall, where the fridge has been for the last 16 years. (This is the best spot to route the vent through the roof, with no turns.) That would work out great, but the fridge would have to find a new home.

So, I had the idea to remove the kitchen door, from the mud room, cover the back of the opening (to create a shallow alcove), and slide the fridge into the vacated alcove, which would also make it counter-depth, and leave a little more floor space in our small-to-middling kitchen.

But then we had to cut a new 'back door' to the mudroom, from the dining room--just outside the kitchen, about 2 1/2 feet from the old door. The new door makes more sense, and I wish I'd thought of doing this 16 years ago when we bought the house. One can now enter from the mudroom, and go either upstairs (where the kids' rooms are), to the LR, or to the hallway which leads to the bathroom, laundry, and master bedroom, without walking through the kitchen. Since the original four-square house has additions on the East, West, and South sides, the dining room is now the geographic center of the home, so I think the new entry will work out very well, once we get used to the idea. (LOL, right now we seem to be walking in circles, trying to follow old traffic patterns.)

Not to get all 'Kitchen Forum' on everyone, but the remodel will achieve the following:

1) Allow us to install a vented hood.

2) Divert through-traffic around the kitchen.

3) Allow us to make the fridge counter-depth, without spending our daughter's college tuition for next quarter on a real counter-depth fridge.

We could do that without replacing the North wall of cabinets with the vintage cabinets, but the vintage uppers have a lot more storage than our current upper cabinets on that wall. And besides, the vintage cabinets are the same type commonly used when our house was built, and I love the vintage look. :)

To date we have:

1) Finished the two new openings into the addition.

2) Installed the new door in the dining room--still need to finish trim.

3) Enclosed the old door opening, and moved the fridge.

Next, we need to move the 220-volt plug from the North wall to the South wall, so that we can move the stove. We'll probably also move the old non-vented hood, and use it for a while longer, until we decide what kind of hood (low-end) to install.

I'd like to take out part of the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make the kitchen a little roomier and further improve the traffic flow, but that's a decision that we'll have to put off for now--it seems that there are more electrical lines in that wall than we suspected.

We also plan to build a shallow pantry underneath the stairway, on the kitchen side (East wall), and add some cabinets or open shelves on both sides of the refrigerator, in its new location on the South wall. We'll replace the flooring, and install matching flooring in the new addition.

We plan to do everything DIY, one wall at a time, while still using the kitchen every day, and still hosting extended-family meals, which we do at least once a month.

I'm adding a link to the pictures I've organized so far--if anyone has advice or comments, I'd love to hear them. You may have seen some of the pics before, and I've tried to add captions to explain the pics, if you haven't read my other threads. I'll try to add pics as we make progress.

Wow, this is a long post. If you haven't become bored and left to watch 'Pawn Stars', thanks for reading to the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

Comments (149)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Time for an update:

I still haven't made a decision on the white/green open shelf cabinet dilemma, but I've been busy working on the sink wall. I've commented on a couple of other threads that I knew it would be the most difficult part of the remodel--the sink cabinet is out of plumb, out of level, and the previous owner had actually reinforced in that way. I didn't want to disturb the plumbing, so I decided to build a skin around the cabinet, to square it, and to support the heavy countertop slab.

It's going on three weeks since my BIL unhooked the sink and dishwasher, but I've been able to use the sink in the new addition. I've been getting plenty of exercise, running around the corner every time I need to wash my hands.

The big news is that I've learned to use the router! I've routed a couple of pieces of trim (which isn't put up yet), and today I finished another project:

I used a 5/8" core box bit (actually ruined three of them) with a jig that my father built to gradually raise the router and taper the ends of the runnels. I'd have liked to have made them 15 inches long, but three chewed up $18.00 bits is enough of an investment for me. I've read that pro's charge $350 to $500 for runnels in marble and granite, so ap. $60.00 (bits and sand paper) isn't too bad.

Sanding and polishing:

Work table:

SAFETY FIRST: When cutting and sanding epoxy resin, always wear eye protection and a dust mask:

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh, the countertop is beautiful! What a wonderful idea...you never cease to amaze me :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

AW Look at you all pretty and not a spec of dust on you. GREAT job with the router. Amazing that stone eats the bits like that.

I am also laughing at your pup just laying there like oh well. nothing new in this life. LOL

Do you think you have enough tools going on there? your kitchen is so amazing.

• Nancy in Mich
    12 years ago

Yet another WOW!! MamaG mooment!

MamaGoose, did you have a of your supplies - the old school cabs with hutch, the resin tops, the marble tiles, the feed bin, on hand with a complete vision before you started work on the kitchen? Or did you start with one aspect (like the school cabs from that guy's garage) and then watch for tiles and just happen to find the resin counter tops?

I think I have learned a lot watching your kitchen remodel. I don't think I have had the patience that you have, though. I settled for a Wilsonart laminate from Craigslist for my library counter top, then had to buy the beveled edge. It is still a lot cheaper than stone, but I am waiting to see if it will turn out to be a good choice, or if it will look cheap.

You really do need an HGTV show, MamaGoose!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender, thank you, sometimes I wonder, "What was I thinking?!"

shades, LOL, thank you, but that grayish mask started out pure white. The dog is afraid of gunshots and thunder, but for some reason she feels safe under my feet, even with (many) power tools involved. I put a pic of the destroyed router bits in my kitchen album, link below.

nancy, we built an addition in 2008, cutting an opening in the kitchen for access. At that time we knew we'd need new countertops, but I was planning laminate, similar to what you will have in the library. However, when TV broadcast switched over to digital, and I found HGTV makeover shows on satellite, I started saying to myself, "Hey, that's neat, but I bet I can make it myself, for much less money." When I started using the internet shortly after, found ebay and craigslist (yeah, I'm a slow learner), the wheels started turning.

I found Gardenweb in April, 2010. By then I had the black marble tiles, and an image of what I wanted. I started searching for a salvaged marble slab, then found the table that we converted to an island. I already had a plan for the baking area, that included using the existing cabinets and adding open shelves, when I found the old school cabinets and knew they were meant for my kitchen! Since we hadn't started the remodel, it was easy to switch gears.

All the major pieces were stashed away before I started tearing off sheetrock to relocate the back door. LOL, I even had the paint purchased. I really enjoyed the 'treasure hunts' that may DH and I used to take, searching for used and salvaged items--some lovely memories of last spring and summer. After starting the remodel, I've found a few good deals on ebay--the ss farm sink, show-room bridge faucet and filter faucet. The bridge faucet is ORB--not my favorite, but such a good price, and it's the style I want. I guess the key is being flexible and waiting for the deals.

I don't think I have had the patience that you have, though. It helps to be a little crazy. ;)

You really do need an HGTV show, MamaGoose! Being a little crazy would help with this, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: lost cause

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

You've really done a great job!!!

I also have visions of LOTS of salvaged materials for my next house. I'll be going for primitive/industrial/organic, & I expect that my "hunting & gathering" process will be similar to yours...I am fondly watching your example...

~Jeana

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

InteriorStylist, Thank you very much. I'll be looking forward to following your progress, too.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Wow Mama Goose, that is just perfect! You totally rock. I love seeing what you accomplish with this kitchen. How did you sand inside the runnels?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, marti8a! I wrapped sandpaper around various sizes of wooden dowels and tubes, and used a small dowel with a sharpened point for the tapered ends of the runnels. I buffed the whole top again, then used the little felt cone-thing from the Dremel tool kit to polish the very tips of the tapered ends.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Very clever. I love it!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I'd be finished by now, but no...however, I have water in the kitchen again, and some progress pictures.

Do you remember this? The cabinet was tilted toward the front right corner (1.5" off level), and someone had chocked the back of the cabinet before we bought the house. I didn't want to disturb the plumbing, so I had to square up the cabinet the best that I could.

Now it looks like this:

Check out that bubble, folks!

I added a 'skin' to the outside of the cabinet, to square it up, and to support the slabs. Also decided to use a short scrap piece of countertop for a backsplash, then added some of the left-over black marble. I cut a new window ledge from a scrap 1x12 (ripped it to 7.5" wide), and painted it to match the cabinet knobs. My long-suffering BIL cut the holes in the slab, then I installed the faucets and placed the sink. He hooked up the drain and reconnected the DW hose and drain:

Long shot (don't know why I can't seem to focus a camera):

This is the cup/spice shelf and paper towel holder:

I wanted to use some vintage sewing machine drawers beside the sink cabinet, but after adding the extra panels, the remaining space, was too narrow. I added some shallow shelves, where I have jars of baking spices, near the mixing/baking area. The old Mccoy pieces were a gift from my sister:

Different view. The paint is drying on the cabinet doors, as I type:

And, finally, the sink is just right for a four-year-old to relax and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Mama Goose- It's wonderful! I think, no I'm sure...your kitchen is my very favorite remodeling project, on the forum. You've got a wonderful ability to see the possibilties in things that most of us would never consider. And, your storage solutions/shelving is just perfect. I love the cup/spice shelves, the shelves above the sink, next to the sink...I'm definitely saving these pictures for inspiration for my kitchen and pantry/laundry area.

Your style is so unique...I'm going to call it vintage/practical with a lovely spin on farmhouse. Does that fit? :)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

LOL, I love the four year old in the sink. I agree, you have a good eye for seeing potential. I especially like the narrow shelves beside the sink.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, lavender. Your description is perfect!

And speaking of practical, I forgot to include info on the faucets. I'm going to include the cost of each, because they were such a fantastic deal!! I found the main faucet, a Franke Manor House, on ebay for $99.00 including shipping. It had been a showroom model, and had a couple of small scratches, which I covered with my daughter's bronze nail polish.

The filter faucet is a Little Gourmet from Mountain Plumbing, found on ebay for $26.00+11.00 shipping. It's an instant hot-only, meant to be used with an under-counter heater, but I hooked it up to the old Multi-Pure filter, and it works fine.

The sprayer is a Giagni, part of a set, but was sold alone on ebay for $12.00 including shipping. It's not hooked up yet because I'm still trying to figure out how to add it to the cold-water line without buying a separate pressure regulator. LOL, it may end up being a decoration. My grandmother had a hole for a sprayer, but no sprayer on her sink, so she always kept a bunch of plastic flowers in the hole!

Marti, thank you. He's always right in the middle of every project!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

mama g - that faucet is incredible! I've not seen one I like better. and what a price you got on it! If you hadn't posted that the parts weren't a set I wouldn't have known it.

the granite behind it really sets it off I think.

when you finish up you should take some time off and go to AZ to soak up some sun. If you like to camp out in the semi-wilderness I know a great place - and it's free.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I love your cup rail and the towel holder is exactly what I have planned in my kitchen, except it will be for cloth towel. I love your kitchen!

How hard was it to attach the paper towel brackets to your existing top cabinets? Or how did you do it? Dh put about 3 nails into one here and I don't really like the way it turned out and don't want to repeat that with the towel holder.

• hlove
    12 years ago

I just have to write and say that you are my hero. :)
    Your vision, creativity, and ingenuity are absolutely astounding. Your style is so my style, too, which makes it even more wonderful as I watch your kitchen progress. I'm about to embark on a remodel, including our kitchen...I'm also going with green and white cabs, I already own white appliances...including the same range you have!...and although can't fit it into the remodel now, plan to have a stainless apron front sink in the future. I'm currently fretting about range hoods and yours is fabulous!
    I wish I could hire you to do my kitchen!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

desertsteph, Thank you, the faucets look even better in person--the camera flash shows the red in the 'Mahogany Bronze' filter faucet. I knew my Smaller Homes friends would appreciate that deal! Thank you for the invitation ;). If my son was still in San Antonio, I might head that direction, 'cuz I need a vacation--even a working vacation!

Thank you, Marti! Each corbel is two pieces of board, laminated with glue and screws. One side, depending on which side of the cabinet it is mounted, is 3/4" taller than the other piece. That 3/4" lip is screwed into the bottom (rail?) of the cabinet side, underneath, lined up so that the shorter piece is flush with the cabinet side, outside. I then added a 3/4" trim piece to the bottom of each cabinet--mitered corners and trimmed to fit each quirky cabinet. I screwed through the shorter piece of corbel/bracket (upper curve area), into the cabinet, and added a screw near the bottom of each corbel, where it meets the back wall. I didn't need to line them up with studs because they aren't supporting anything. The towel holder corbels and spice shelf are attached to support pieces, which are screwed into the wall studs, parallel to the counter. The pieces are all connected--you can see them in the pic with my grandson in the sink. All the screw holes were countersunk and filled. I hope this isn't too confusing--if you (or hubby) need pics, I'll upload some. BTW, I can't take credit for the towel bar--it was part of a towel holder that my late MIL gave me years ago. I spray painted it to match the jar lids and old pantry boxes.

hlove, Thank you!! You all warm my heart. If you knew how many times I've had to back up, re-assess, and start over, you'd never want to hire me, especially by the hour! I have to say that after doing dishes by hand for a few days (DW heating element burned out during 2nd load after reconnecting it), I love the apron sink. It's a little deep for me, at 5'7", but I washed my biggest, heaviest baking dish in there today, and it was wonderful! I hope you keep us updated on your kitchen remodel. LOL, maybe we'll finish at the same time.

• amarantha
    12 years ago

mama goose,
    you have done some amazing work! It looks great and so very welcoming! Could you elaborate on how you made your hood - it's fantastic and I would love to be able to do something like that. I've got an old vintage stove that needs something like that above it. Any photos showing how you did it? Thanks!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

amarantha, thank you, I love to pass on info! The link is for my hood album, with pics and captions. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. You can also click on my user name, click on the albums link, and find the same info. Feel free to look at any of them.

Hood Album

Hood inspirations pictures

• User
    12 years ago

Looking great there, Mama!! I copied your cup rail and the beadboard backsplash under the upper cabs, easier to show my DH and the designer what it is I want in my kitchen.

I can tell that this kitchen is CUSTOM, and it gives the feeling that there is a place for everything. It is understated, and one thing which gives it all away in a soft whisper, is the shallow shelves at the end of your sink cab.
    That, and then your paper towel roll is absolutely in the right spot, above your DWasher, and those drain strips (runnels?) are right there too, making it possible to rinse your messier dishes before dousing them in the DWasher. I don't care how they say you don't need to prerinse, I do it because I hate to clean the drain in the DWasher. I do not believe in garbage disposals, they create a sludge which gunks up the water treatment plant in a city....and I'm sure they are not friendly to septic systems either. Plus, it is not friendly to 4 year old sink sleepers.....:)

It is always a pleasure to see what you've been up to lately, we always know you'll do something outstanding.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

moccasinlanding, I love that you'll have beadboard and a cup rail like mine. Here's a close-up showing how everything fits together:

The shelf sits on top of, and is screwed into, the long support piece, and there's a screw that goes through the corbel into the shelf, toward the front. LOL, at this distance you can see the seam where the two corbel pieces are joined. Oh, well, it adds character ;). BTW, the corbels are cut on the same curve as the supports for the old school cabinet, across the room. They're 1.5" wide, compared to 3 inches on the school cabinets.

This pic is of the underside of the corner, with a scarf/miter joint. Each piece is cut on 45 degrees, then fitted together and nailed, making a stronger joint than a butted joint. It's actually backwards, because my miter saw 'reclines' in only one direction, and I didn't want to cut the angles by hand. One could also use a biscuit/slot to add strength.

Marti, I took a couple of pics for you, too. This is the support for the towel holder:

The corbels are attached to either side of the 'placket', which is screwed into studs. The window used to be wider, so there's an extra stud in that area. The corbels were then attached to the cabinets as described in my post above^^^.

The underside of a cabinet, showing how the corbel is attached--you can see the screw holes:

Hope this helps!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Great photos, thanks! Did you cut the corbels with a scroll saw after they were laminated together?

I think I'm going to have beadboard too, either that or a wider tongue & groove, but definitely a wood. I think. lol

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marti, since the curve is very gradual, I used a jigsaw with a thin blade. I cut out the two pieces separately, to cut the taller 'lip' on one side, then glued and screwed them together. After the glue dried I used a belt sander to smooth the seams (used the end of the sander on the curve), then hand-sanded. I made the corbels months ago while I was waiting for help with another project, before I learned to use the router. It would have been easier to use a profiling bit. I've also used the jigsaw to cut legs for the cabinets, out of scrap pieces of whiteboard.

Yay! One more beadboard kitchen!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

All the hard work really shows the love you put into this kitchen - it's very beautiful. Congrats. Wish I had somewhere to put corbels in my kitchen.

• User
    12 years ago

MamaGoose, do you realize how very PROFESSIONAL you sound? You really have the technical terms down pat! Most impressive, and I bet you have not paused long enough to compare where you began versus your expertise today. But we notice. Where do you find all that Kickapoo Joy Juice?
    You are a real life Rosie The Riveter, fast forward a generation. :)

There are so many informative shots in your thread, I will just have to keep the link to it. Please do not remove or move your photos or I'll be lost.

Have you thought about getting a local paper to come out and photograph some of your projects for their At Home pages? I'd say the stove hood would be a real winner. And you look good doing the job too. Get to blogging lady. You have a message to communicate.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I've thought before that if you had a blog, it would be a big hit. Something to think about mama goose. Some people actually make money with their blogs, although I'm not sure how they do it.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

schoolhouse, Thank you. Can you find a small space or corner where a little shelf supported by corbels will fit? I love their old-fashioned look.

Kickapoo Joy Juice--
    LOL, ML, I think the spectre of cooking another holiday dinner in a partially finished kitchen was the 'kick in the pants' that I needed! Our last Monthly Family Dinner was sans kitchen sink--do-able but not so much fun.

I remember early on, calling my father or my BIL, and pestering them with many, many questions. Bless them, they never made me feel like a dunce, and they're both proud of me now.

I'm really not interested in blogging (still have a guest room to finish), but if any GW'er would like to blog about my kitchen, please send me a PM. Thank you, ML and marti8a, for the votes of confidence. Everyone's encouragement has meant so much to me!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Ooooh yes, I'd love to feature you, not that I get many hits on my blog.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

If I had a blog I'd put your projects on! bet many women (and some men) would love to see what you've done and read your instructions for it. I have no idea how to even make a blog!
    marti - post link to your blog!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marti, I sent you an email. And I agree with steph--we need a link!

desertsteph, neither do I--I'd have to ask one of my kids!

• User
    12 years ago

hehehe...."have to ask one of my kids!" Mama, now that is a wise woman talking!

And Marti, it would be fantastic if you could maybe feature MamaGoose now and then who knows later on.....how about NancyinMich with her remake of the plain bookcases in her music room....provided she is willing?

I know there is a thread somewhere about all our "blogs" and websites, but it somehow got lost....when I have more time, I'll see about dredging it up from the past. We have a bunch of new folks dropping over and we might as well bring things current... InteriorStylist, and Caligal, and Ross and OGRose, and ......I'll have to refresh my mind in other threads, because the list is getting much much longer.

Marti, there are a lot of bloggers who feature projects of their friends. And you have a pretty blog.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Mama-G it all looks so wonderful. Love the narrow shelves and your faucet it so pretty. A new faucet is a must for me. I REALLY dislike the one we have. I am sure many people would enjoy reading a blog of your kitchen remodel.

• User
    12 years ago

Marti, do you remember the blog with the beadboard wallpaper? It is all about EVERYTHING as you describe. I think it is Southern Hospitality? It is as you describe your own blog. And I think maybe another Texas lady with her blog, COTE DE TEXAS. Very well thought of they are. Let me see if I can get you the link to that Southern Hospitality.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Hospitality blog

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Yes, I've seen her blog. Great photos and well written. She covers different things, but it's still mostly home & garden type stuff. I treat myself to a pity party every once in a while; not something blogs with a large audience do. lol But mostly it's a way to let my family see with what we're doing, and now what the in-laws are doing.

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

WOW I want to learn how to use power tools !!!!
    Love those salvaged cabinets the shallow cabinets too(I have shallow tall uppers(just 2) it's so much better than the deeper ones.and the old stove. GREAY JOB with counter ...
    I want to raise my DW(love that idea) but I just realized that if I did that I would lose 24" of usable counter space...
    Look at that photo, your'e a grandmother !!! your're so young!
    Hey if you ever want to take a break and visit a city, come to NY ! I need help here :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

moccasinlanding, "have to ask one of my kids!" Mama, now that is a wise woman talking! It's a fact--my kids know more about the internet, than I ever will.

marti8a, I checked your blog, and read your bio. I love it! It's the perfect spot to feature my kitchen--you and I have so much in common. The ceiling trim still isn't up, but I'll be posting some progress pics. Chris' mosaics would be great--every time I click on her album I get lost in the pictures!

shades, thank you, I'm still thrilled with the faucet deal--I hope you can find one that makes you just as happy!

EATREALFOOD, thank you for the compliments and the invitation. Learning to use power tools is, well, empowering! :) I'm waaaay old enough to be a grandmother (27 when I had my first child)--the mask and eye protection must cover all the wrinkles!

Here's a picture of the sink cabinet with re-used doors from one of the former (now demolished) cabinets:

After using the sink for a few days (without caulk), I took the drain apart and pulled the sink forward 3/4", so that I could try using it with a cutting board resting on the back reveal and front edge:

With the cutting board:

I like it better this way, although I have to wipe the water off the back reveal. The cutting board is also convenient to use for stacking dishes, since I have only a narrow piece of countertop on the right side of the sink.

And, I finally decided that what was bothering me about the open shelves beside the fridge wasn't just the color--it was also the asymmetry. In my sketches, I had always colored that stack green, so I framed in the shelves, re-used a door from the former cabinets, and painted everything green. I really like it better, and I want to thank everyone again, for all the suggestions. I also repainted the Stardust yellow wall Adobe White. My DD2 wanted yellow, and I tried to love it, but I like the off-white better. Moccasinlanding, I think you suggested that the yellow was too close in color to the green cabinets, and you were right! (DD is in Colorado for a month or so--she hasn't seen the newly painted wall yet.) I left the inside of the opening yellow for now:

I changed the wing on the upper doors adjacent to the stove hood, to help visually separate the green and white cabinets. Going around the room:

Longer shot:

Other than the ceiling trim, I'm finished until I decide on flooring. I just want you all to know how much your encouragement, good wishes, and friendship have meant to me. Being able to post pictures and enjoy your comments has helped me to keep making progress. I'll be starting the dining room soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: for more pics, scroll backward

• mgreenman
    12 years ago

Mama_goose,
    Thank you for sharing your story on this Thanksgiving weekend. I am so sorry for your loss, but am so inspired by your spirit. Obviously you are someone who coaxes and encourages inner beauty to shine--whether it's a tilted cabinet door, a flood-rusted stove, or a four-year-old hiding in a kitchen sink. Your home and family must love you well, as you, so obviously do, them.
    Best wishes to you.
    Maura

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Oh Mama-Goose your kitchen turned out so pretty. An amazing transformation. You are one talented woman!!!

• User
    12 years ago

Maura/mgreenman, your words are well chosen, and express very well what I and others here have observed about MamaGoose. It is a brighter day when we get word that "Mama is in the KITCHEN." :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mgreenman, thank you for your thoughtful words of encouragement.

shades, your talent and DIY projects have been an inspiration to me--so has your encouragement, especially in the early, bewildering times.

ML, thank you--you all certainly brighten my days. I've mentioned that I was fairly new to internet use when I found GW. I'm thankful that I finally learned to use the internet--it's been a wonderful resource.

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

You must be so happy with your new kitchen. WOW a lot of work went into this, BUT so worth it! I love the sink, and the re-purposed cabinetry! Beautiful kitchen!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mary_ruth, thank you, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I mentioned that I'd like to make curtains to hide the baking supplies in the glass cabinets. I did another budget blitz by using wooden dowels (Restore, 10 cents each) and a 6yd curtain panel from a clearance outlet ($5.00) Total: $5.80. It's a long, thin 'swaggy' type, in a silky, iridescent green--very close to the green cabinet color. Last year I used a small piece of the panel to make toss pillows for the window seats.

I use another of the $5.00 panels for a table cloth for large gatherings--it covers three 6ft long tables, with white sheets underneath for the drop. LOL, I'm getting my money's worth of that bargain!

I posted these on a thread in the Kitchens forum, along with the observation that I kinda miss seeing the jumble behind the glass. :[

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Mama Goose- I agree with your daughter (on the kitchen forum) now all the big jars could be candy! LOL

Beautiful job and you find the best prices! Can you take me shopping? :)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Mama Goose, I love that look. You are making the most of that bargain.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender_lass, thank you! I would love to go shopping with you, and then we could take a break and have tea together. :) BTW, did you see my recent thread in the Antiques forum? I lucked into a wonderful deal on vintage silverplate flatware:
    Vintage silverplate cutlery
    I had no idea of the value until I started doing research and checking ebay!

marti, thank you! And I still have three unopened panels! BTW, I'm trying to decide on flooring--I haven't forgotten your blog.

Today I dragged the upper from the second old school cabinet into the middle of the LR floor. If possible, it's in worse shape than the first one, but at least now I know how it will look when finished. I plan to put it against the east wall in the DR--I'll start a new thread for that project.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Wow mama goose, you hit the gold mine silver mine!

I haven't forgotten either, and will email you as soon as I get some fires put out.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Mama_goose I love the curtains!!! You have the best of both worlds this way. So charming.Your kitchen turned out amazing. I also posted to your silverware thread.Looking to add to a partial set I have and love but never seem to find more of.:^(

• lpalta
    12 years ago

I love the enameled bins, did you paint them yourself? And the antique stove next to the stairs--I love it there. What a great conversation piece.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, marti, I know you're a little busy right now! ;)

Shades, thank you, I like the curtains more each day. I'll email you about the silverplate.

lpalta, thank you--yes, I spray-painted the old pantry boxes and bread bins, as well as the lids on the glass jars. Our back door is directly across from the vintage stove--it's the first thing that one sees upon entering the house. It get lots of attention!

Well, it looks as if this thread is at its limit, so I'll start a new thread as I start work on the dining area of the kitchen. Thanks again for all your encouragement--you've helped me through the bad times, and I appreciate every one of you.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner