Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

o
Start of 'Salvaged' Kitchen remodel...

Posted by mama_goose (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 20:50

Until now, I've been calling this a kitchen 'face-lift', because that was all we had planned. As often happens, one thing leads to another, and we've planned a few more improvements. You can skip to the bottom for a link to pics.

When we decided to add on a family dining/play room (used when the extended family gathers), I told my hubby that all we would need to do would be finish off the new openings (one from the kitchen/one from the LR), and replace the counter-tops in the kitchen--probably with laminate. We'd have someone else take the measurements, finish the tops in their shop, pop the old ones off, and install the new ones. We could even cut and re-use one piece of the old counter-top in our new addition. I was going to repaint, remove wall-paper, and add a backsplash myself, because he does not enjoy those activites. ;)

But, then I found some beautiful black marble tiles, found Gardenweb while searching for info on black marble, and found a wonderful resource in all of you! I also found some epoxy-resin table tops from an old school, for counter-tops, and some vintage cabinets, salvaged from another old school. The cabinets will fit our North wall if we move the stove out. I've always wanted a vented hood, which I can have only if we move the stove to the South wall, where the fridge has been for the last 16 years. (This is the best spot to route the vent through the roof, with no turns.) That would work out great, but the fridge would have to find a new home.

So, I had the idea to remove the kitchen door, from the mud room, cover the back of the opening (to create a shallow alcove), and slide the fridge into the vacated alcove, which would also make it counter-depth, and leave a little more floor space in our small-to-middling kitchen.

But then we had to cut a new 'back door' to the mudroom, from the dining room--just outside the kitchen, about 2 1/2 feet from the old door. The new door makes more sense, and I wish I'd thought of doing this 16 years ago when we bought the house. One can now enter from the mudroom, and go either upstairs (where the kids' rooms are), to the LR, or to the hallway which leads to the bathroom, laundry, and master bedroom, without walking through the kitchen. Since the original four-square house has additions on the East, West, and South sides, the dining room is now the geographic center of the home, so I think the new entry will work out very well, once we get used to the idea. (LOL, right now we seem to be walking in circles, trying to follow old traffic patterns.)

Not to get all 'Kitchen Forum' on everyone, but the remodel will achieve the following:

1) Allow us to install a vented hood.

2) Divert through-traffic around the kitchen.

3) Allow us to make the fridge counter-depth, without spending our daughter's college tuition for next quarter on a real counter-depth fridge.

We could do that without replacing the North wall of cabinets with the vintage cabinets, but the vintage uppers have a lot more storage than our current upper cabinets on that wall. And besides, the vintage cabinets are the same type commonly used when our house was built, and I love the vintage look. :)

To date we have:

1) Finished the two new openings into the addition.

2) Installed the new door in the dining room--still need to finish trim.

3) Enclosed the old door opening, and moved the fridge.

Next, we need to move the 220-volt plug from the North wall to the South wall, so that we can move the stove. We'll probably also move the old non-vented hood, and use it for a while longer, until we decide what kind of hood (low-end) to install.

I'd like to take out part of the wall between the kitchen and dining room to make the kitchen a little roomier and further improve the traffic flow, but that's a decision that we'll have to put off for now--it seems that there are more electrical lines in that wall than we suspected.

We also plan to build a shallow pantry underneath the stairway, on the kitchen side (East wall), and add some cabinets or open shelves on both sides of the refrigerator, in its new location on the South wall. We'll replace the flooring, and install matching flooring in the new addition.

We plan to do everything DIY, one wall at a time, while still using the kitchen every day, and still hosting extended-family meals, which we do at least once a month.

I'm adding a link to the pictures I've organized so far--if anyone has advice or comments, I'd love to hear them. You may have seen some of the pics before, and I've tried to add captions to explain the pics, if you haven't read my other threads. I'll try to add pics as we make progress.

Wow, this is a long post. If you haven't become bored and left to watch 'Pawn Stars', thanks for reading to the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start of 'Salvaged' Kitchen remodel...

I adore the cabinets from the old school! Those are going to be fantastic in your house. Are you going to keep the sink in it?

o

MamaGoose sez:"But, then I found some beautiful black marble tiles, found Gardenweb while searching for info on black marble, and found a wonderful resource in all of you! I also found some epoxy-resin table tops from an old school, for counter-tops, and some vintage cabinets, salvaged from another old school. The cabinets will fit our North wall if we move the stove out. I've always wanted a vented hood, which I can have only if we move the stove to the South wall, where the fridge has been for the last 16 years......."

Mama, are you trying to say that (ahem) we are a bad influence on you? hehehehehehe

Yep, one thing has a way of leading to another, doesn't it.
And you have turned your creativity loose on your house, and it seems that in the process even your DH is catching the bug too. My goodness, you really have gotten him to go along with a great many changes. Bravo!!!

Now about the pantry shelves to be located on either side of your relocated fridge.

How wide and how deep and how tall will they be? I have come to the conclusion that as long as I can make my pantry cabs the right dimensions, I can go purchase off the shelf a great many roll outs of all sorts. From the runners on the sides, to the wood shelves with retaining walls to hold in canned goods or whatever, and to wire baskets set on runners. But to use the wire baskets, I'd have to really build the cabinet the right width to handle the multiple roll outs.

My DH installed several years ago the roll out wire baskets in his small galley kitchen, and they help a lot. I'd never be able to get down on the floor to find anything in the back of those cabs. He uses the wire baskets on runners to house pots and pans as well as canned goods. The tall and heavy bottles of juice is stored in some shallow cabs (like a buffet cab) in the adjoining dining area. Cabs look the same but are the depth of wall cabs.

Of course, if you have a narrow pantry which is deep, or as deep as your fridge, you could make a single rollout like a microwave cart, with the wheels on it in a fixed position to keep them straight ahead. You can also buy a rollout unit from Rev-A-Shelf to see what is possible go look at their website.

Your plan to DIY one wall at a time is a good idea. It will spread the expense out over a longer period of time.

Oh no, Mama, I would not miss a word of your post. I was busy last night watching HOARDERS though. And this morning we took a drive to drop off my absentee ballot for the election....EVERYONE GO VOTE......and then drove by a house which recently sold for $688K...about 2 blocks over. HUGE
remodel they did on it, and now they sold it. WOW. It is encouraging that homes are at least selling around here.
Maybe next summer we'll be selling THIS house. But no way for that much....oh boy could I do things with that kind of money!!!

o

I looove those school cabinets! that's gonna be a beautiful kitchen when you're done!

o

marti & steph, I KNOW! As soon as I saw the pics of the cabinets, I fell in love. I've always said I wanted cabinets that were shallow enough that I didn't have to move stuff in the front to get to stuff in the back. The uppers are only 10" deep, but they have an extra shelf, which should make up for the loss in depth. Thanks for your encouragement. :)

The small sink is out of the cabinet, and sitting on the old washtub-stand on the front porch. LOL, recently a friend spied it there, and asked if that's where I'm going to keep it. I put it (and the pipes that I cut out of the cabinet), on the porch because when I pulled them out of the cabinet they still had nasty, rusty, standing water in them, most of which ran out on the floor!

We are going to use black marble tiles for a counter-top on that run of cabinets, and try to re-use that wonderful 1" thick lumber to complete the shelves in the new closets. With a little trimming the boards should just fit.

ML, you probably noticed that the vintage cabinets have doors on the bottom, but no drawers. I'd like to re-use the drawers from our current cabinets, and build a bank of drawers on the left side of the fridge, or have a trash pull-out with drawers above. There is ap 16.5", which is the width of our current single cabinets. We may be able to re-use a box that already has two drawers, or we may start from scratch--at any rate, I'd like to make it 42" tall, with room for the phone to be mounted on the wall above, and room for cell-phone chargers. We'll have either open shelves, or re-use an upper cabinet above.

I considered a ceiling-height roll-out pantry for the 16.5" slot beside the fridge (and it's still not out of the running), but I need the drawers. I'm planning to re-use the other left-over drawers beside the stove, for cooking utensils, knives, etc.

We'll re-use as many doors as possible--from our old cabinets and the school cabinets. I'm hoping that paint will make them all blend together. The cabinet that is on top of the fridge is the one I had planned to use for a baking center, before I found the school cabinets. I made sure it would fit on top of the fridge, if the plans changed. It will have glass doors--I have the doors and the glass, just need to get it cut.

The pantry under the stairs will be one can deep from about 62" to 88", or whatever height we decide to make it. That's because there is a closet pole on the other side that I don't want to move. From 62" down, we can make it deeper--maybe 8-10".

The microwave will be housed on the right side of the fridge--I have plans for a cubby that will be 42" high--the same as height as the drawers on the left side. The microwave is 24" wide--by making the cubby 27" wide, that should leave 9-10" for a 36" high landing space on the left side of the stove. There will be ap. 44" of counter space on the other side. I'm the shortest in the family, at 5'7", so I'm thinking that the 42" counters should be just right for my 6'2" son, but low enough that we can use them for landing space for the fridge.

We've lived here for 16 years without improving the kitchen, and we need to think about things that will make our lives easier as we age.

Please let me know what you think about the microwave set-up. I'm tired of having it on the counter, and my hubby doesn't want it under a standard-height counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rough sketch of South wall elevation/microwave cubby

o

Here are some pics with counters of two different heights, to help illustrate the microwave cubby concept.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics 39, 40, 41,42

o

WOW I am stunned with how gorgeous the new to you cabinets are. WOW WOW WOW You will have such a beautiful kitchen when you get done.

the two level is interesting. I like it higher I am not sure I like the lower. We had a house with 34 inch high cabinets. I am 5'5". It hurt my back to work at the lower height. There was no high low all were low so maybe having higher here and there would help.

I do have the island I made about 32 inches and it is fine but not a main work space. The best part of a lower counter is when making bread. It is easier to kneed at a lower height. For me that is.

mama-goose this is going to be a fun kitchen to watch. Still swooning over the cabinets you bought. WOW

o

I just LOVE those salvaged cabinets they are wonderful!!! I can hardly wait to see your kitchen makeover. You must be so excited, I am and it's not even my kitchen. Are those cabinets oak?

Happy Kitchen renovation ~ FlowerLady

o

I just wanted to pop in to say that I also LOVE the salvaged school cabinets. What a find :-)

o

shades, flowerlady, melle_sacto, thank you all!

I am trying not to get too excited, because it's going to be a slow process. Plus, the only place to store the school cabinets is in the house--bases in the new addition/middle of the room, and tops in the LR, behind the couch, with the glass doors tucked safely behind the tops. Both rooms are a little crowded. :(

An advantage will be using the extra cabinet to store everything that has to come out of our current cabinets. I'll be able to see everything--won't have to dig through boxes.

The cabinets appear to be stained pine. They were used for display of some type, maybe lab specimens--there's still residue from labels on the upper shelves. Then they had been cut-down and reworked for use in a teachers' lounge, hence the sink, and electrical outlet for a coffee pot and microwave.

They are quirky--as I mentioned, no drawers in the lower cabs, and the glass doors for the uppers are each 26.5" wide. By putting them on the buffet/baking wall where they won't open into the cooking area, I'm hoping to avoid any head-banging.

The lower cabinets are only 16" deep, but that is perfect (and what helped me decide to get them), because the North wall is adjacent to the LR, where there is a 64" bump-out (into the kitchen), with a built-in bookcase on half the wall. That used to be the knee-space for the former snack bar.

This would be a good time to take out the bump-out, and I considered it, but DDs want to keep the bookcase--DD1 says it's charming, and DD2 never wants ANYTHING to change. Beyond the bump-out we'll put a rail on the back wall to support deeper cabinet shelves.

ML says, "...it seems that in the process even your DH is catching the bug too. My goodness, you really have gotten him to go along with a great many changes. Bravo!!!"

I think he's in shock!

o

Mama, keeping your cabs in the house for storage is a really good option. They need to "season" to the atmosphere so there will be no splitting of the wood. Heck, I still have boxes of porcelain tile under my loveseat in the living room, and only a week before coming north did I get to take the closet stuff out from behind the sofa! Now it waits patiently for me in the doorless closet. At least we have a tub, I tell myself.

It is good to have as many of the pieces to your project collected BEFORE you begin the actual reno. I love being involved in a home project, and I can tell that you are reining yourself in to keep from jumping up and down with anticipation. It will come to pass, all shall be done, and the process of getting there is half the fun.

But boy do I recommend keeping lots of Tearz for your eyes...the DUST....oh my does it hurt my eyes.

Mama, I think the furnishings you've gathered for your kitchen are on a par with Sarah Richardson's kitchen. If you can "play like" you are Sarah, that should be very inspirational....at least, CONSIDER what Sarah would do, before making up your OWN mind. That's the way I feel about even GOOD designer advice.

Love your black granite ideas. We used black granite for our hearth and fireplace surround in the living room of DH's cape. It is gorgeous too.

o

MamaG, I love your kitchen plans, too! Your school cupboards reminded me of THIS piece that is at our local resale shop. I had considered it as one side of an unfitted kitchen plan, but DH is not adventurous, so we ended up with real kitchen cabinets instead. If I were alone, I would have gone to see this piece in person. Luckily, I guess, I am not alone!

I also considered steel laboratory cabinets. DH vetoed that , too, so I bought them for my garage workshop, instead. I have the resin tops and the two guys I bought them from who set it all up could barely lift them, they are so heavy. I am glad you get to use them in your kitchen, they seem a great material.

I am also looking forward to the evolution of your kitchen. One advantage of taking it one wall at a time is that you have the opportunity to still look for great finds to finish it up as you progress. I think the black marble will look great on your cabinets. I believe I read that you plan to paint, so everything blends together better. Do you have an idea of what color/s you are thinking about?

o

Hi, nancy, when I saw the pic of the cabinet you had considered buying, I had to catch my breath--it's so similar to the cabinets that were in my HS science lab. I was instantly transported back 35 years!

Back to reality: I love the color of my current kitchen cabs, a cream color that I put on 16 years ago. I have to laugh when I see people painting their cabinets off-white, and using a darker glaze to simulate wear and age. Mine are like that but the grunge is authentic.

I want to freshen the cabs that we are re-using and paint the new/old ones to match, so I've chosen Adobe white, which is a shade or so lighter (or cleaner) than the present cream color--very close to our bisque stove. I have some green that I'd like to work in, too. I've already used it to paint a small cab for over the fridge, and the doors on island.

Also, I've been considering mixing a small amount of the green with Adobe white to paint the ceiling--just enough to give it a hint of color. We'll see...

Oh, BTW, we used an oil-based paint 16 years ago--it has worn really well, and I'd use it again, but it's not available at our local Lowe's. I'm not advertising for Lowe's, but I like using their paint--I've never had a problem with it, and the store is convenient--I live only 10 minutes away. I'm using their 'Kitchen and Bath' paint, which has a medium gloss that seems to 'de-gloss' somewhat as it cures.

Anyone have advice or experience with using latex enamel over old oil-based paint? Thanks for any info.

o

Love, love, love it Mama Goose! I have serious 'old cupboard' envy!!
Can't wait to see the end result. :o)
~Missy

o

MamaG,
The last I knew, you cannot use latex over oil without using a primer in between. And I think the primer has to be oil-based as well. Doing this has the advantage of allowing you to use latex forevermore. Is there a painting forum here? I don't think so. Would the folks in Decorating have the skinny on this? I will check that out and do a web search if not.

I am always interested in this question because my house in Baton Rouge was AlL oil-based and I was totally stuck. I would have had to move out to get the oil-based primer on (and who would do it, I never could figure because the nonD-H of the time was not reliable). We only learned about the oil-based wall paint when the kitchen woodwork and lower walls I had painted with latex started PEELING off. DH just wanted to paint it again and told me to make sure the vacuum and broom never touched the woodwork. That was his solution! I hid the paint on him. The only paint I left out where he could find it was the oil-based primer. Then I sanded off the latex and de-glossed the oil so the primer would stick. Then I had to wait for him to decide to do the primer and isolate the kitchen from the HVAC so that the fumes would not spread to the rest of the house. We were divorced before the rest of the rooms were tackled.

So I am always interested in the state of the paint technology for those oil-based surfaces we want to freshen up!

o

mama g - those shallow pantry shelves will be very handy! the more shallow ones can hold items you usually only buy 1 of and the lower those that you want several of - like soup. I think I remember that a campbell's soup can is about 3" in diameter - so maybe 3 cans deep.
Also, things that need the depth because of their depth. but you shouldn't have the problem of things hiding behind other things with shelves like that. I'm planning to put a 9" shelf in between 2 of the deeper shelves (about 18" deep. think I'll measure those later to be sure).
my pantry shelves:

Photobucket

the 2 height base cabs is also a good idea. I'm hoping to do that with mine. The dw will need to be on the higher run but the cooktop needs to be a bit lower for me. I'm just 5'.

here's a few pics I've saved - all gw kitchens I think except pic #5 - that's from the local Lowe's!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Time for the promised update. The link starts with the newest pictures and captions, from November and December, but it's been so long since I've posted, you may have to go back through the album to start at the beginning. We are taking a break for the holidays, and so that my father can work on one of his own projects.

Thank you, prairie, right now the cabinets don't look like something to inspire envy, but I'm happy with them, and they will be finished eventually.

Nancy, Thanks for the information on paint--I'm still trying to decide on the color for the vintage cabinets--green to match the prep-sink cabinet, or off-white to match the others. I think the uppers will be off white, with green interior to show behind the glass doors.

desertsteph, Thank you for all the pictures. I'm still planning a raised counter over a microwave cubby. The shallow pantry pic is similar to what I want. I'd like to use metal rails for adjustable shelves--I have the material already, and I think that would be a space-saver. I've decided to keep it the same depth all the way to the floor, so that I don't have to break into the closet under the stairs.

***Thank you all for being wonderful friends. Have a blessed holiday and a very happy and prosperous new year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from November and December

o

Mama, wonderful to see your recent activities. Rome was not built in a day, so no hurry finishing this kitchen. If you finished, what would keep you busy afterward?

I have a cold which is knocking my brain sideways, cannot put two and two together now, so will save observations for later when I make sense.

Great pictures.

o

OH WOW What a difference. You have done so much.I can remember big projects in building. Every little gain no matter how small feels like such an accomplishment. I think this is going to turn out wonderful.

Laughing at the sour dough starter. Mine is way more runny than what yours looks to be. Need to get your recipe. Was on the phone yesterday morning and happened to look over at the counter and my sour dough starter was running all over the counter. I had just refreshed it and it got way too happy. Yummy stuff though.

You and your Dad are doing a fantastic job. Merry Christmas to all of you. Hope you are dodging some of the hard winter storms.

Chris

o

moccasin, LOL, your words are proving prophetic--the kitchen is on hold until my father can get started on it again. I am trying to keep busy with the smaller projects--just finished re-working a wall cabinet into an old-fashioned 'end cabinet.' It was one that my husband had built for temporary storage when we took out a bank of cabinets for the opening into the new addition. I wanted to keep the cabinet, so I decided to convert it. As always, I love the vintage style.

Also, I built a shallow pantry between the wall studs, in the area under the stairway. The original plan was to make it deeper, but I decided not to move the closet pole on the other side. I'm making adjustments to my plans, but that's OK--I'm learning new skills. Next up is the stove hood
project.

The link is for the converted cabinet, but you can scroll backward to see the new pantry and the rest of the kitchen album.

Chris--I've hardly baked since I've torn the kitchen apart, but I love the 'fruity' smell of rising sourdough. I use the starter in pancake batter, too. Oh, I can't wait to get that baking center finished!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old-fashioned open shelf

o

You just nonchalantly say you made a door yourself, and I find that AWESOME. Your kitchen is looking great, and I know it will be a great place to host the extended family. Adjusting things on the fly is how I do it too....nothing wrong with that if you are doing the work yourself.

When I was moving some knotty pine upper cabs in my MoccasinLanding cottage, all by myself, I stacked books beneath them. So when I removed the things (studs or screws) holding the row of cabs up, the book stack supported it. I got my microwave cart/small island, and rolled the cab on it to its new location. Then I used more stacks of books to walk it over to the counter top of the lower cab. By adding books first one end and then the other, I finally got it up to the height needed. Sort of precarious, but I was younger and determined to do it one way or another. This cab was within inches of being 8 foot wide, with doors. Which I removed to make it lighter and get a grip on it. I rescrewed the thing into the studs on that wall, and rehung the doors, and VOILA, it was done.

So I am confident that you will be able to achieve a lot by your vision and determination as well. Good show, Mama.
Love all your pictures. Nibble away at it, and it will get done.

o

Oh Mama!!!!
It is going to be so very beautiful. The epoxy instead of grout is wonderful, I cannot tell that it is not a solid surface. The color on the old school cabinets is perfect. I can't wait until the hutch is installed.

How did you find a fourth latch to use on the tray cabinet? Or did you have to find four new matching ones?

Your reworking of the end cupboard by the sink is just right. You must have thought on that one for quite some time before you took saw to wood. The bowls you have on display there are like a preview of what's to come, with their pretty colors. Love your pantry, too.

I am not one to gush. The comments everybody makes on the KF after somebody posts a kitchen get old really fast for me. Here I am gushing, though. I just love your repurposed items, your creativity, your thrift. I have been thinking of you and waiting for an update, and boy, did you come through.

o

OK I am going to try to address all of what you are doing. And then some. LOL The corner cabinet shelf is wonderful and I really like the heavier shelves. Your pottery is gorgeous.

The pantry cabinet is great. I like all the doors. The one I used to have had two doors and I think your way is more functional.Love the way you made the shelves to fit the different cans. Not only functional but pretty.You gained lots of storage in a small space. And how darling your little grandson on the shelf. LOL

I BET that cabinet shelf is heavy. I hope you will have help getting it into place. That dried hydrangea is a really pretty green.

Your building skills are amazing. Looks so good. Vinegar and heat. Hummmmmmmmmm Never tried that one. Looks good.

LOL your shelves are entirely too tidy.OH Wall paper on the shelves. Was wondering. So glad you brought that up. I have wall paper. Hummmmmmmmmmmmm Was thinking of the bead-board paper but it is so expensive for as many cabinets I have to do.

Counters are gorgeous and I love the fossils too.Perfect fill job on your tiles. I forgot it was tiles. Guess I am looking at your pictures back wards. LOL

I think of you so often and your kitchen renovation. The store here is going out of business and they have rows of cabinets similar to the ones you got here. Almost sorry I did not wait to redo our kitchen.

You are doing a wonderful job of this. I love it you have the ability. You should be so proud. So glad you brought us up to date. You have been missed.

o

Shades, well, of course you are looking at them backwards, that is what I did too.....great minds work alike?

And now I realize why I went to the local nursery and HAD to buy two hydrangeas, a LIMELIGHT and an Oakleaf. It is because Mama Goose planted the DRIED HYDRANGEA image in my head. The name of your paint is tantalizing me.

Please, what brand is DRIED HYDRANGEA? I think I want to try it on the interior of the Teahouse. A soft and aged look is definitely my style.

o

It is looking good! I still can't get over how good the marble tile looks like a solid slab of marble. In one picture you were sanding it. Doesn't it come ready to lay? I think I've asked you before how big are your grout lines? Or did you use something besides grout?

o

Thank you all for the welcoming words and praises!

moccasin, I can just imagine you stacking books--you are one determined woman! I used a section of 2x4 for a cabinet cleat. I don't think I'd be up to balancing an 8-foot wide cabinet on a MW cart, although I once used my kids' little red wagon to transport big rocks for a stone wall. It was just the right height for me to roll the rocks onto it, then roll them into place on the wall. Of course, that was 15 years ago...

The paint is Valspar, Kitchen and Bath, in soft gloss. I live 10 minutes from a Lowe's, so most of my paint comes from there (or from my mother, who buys lots of 'mis-tints' and mixes her own.) The paint was one of the first things I bought for the kitchen, and I still love it.

Nancy, I am blushing! The original latches were not salvageable--I even took them apart, hoping to be able to repair them. I got lucky and found 7 latches for $28.00 (including shipping!) on ebay. When I asked, the seller included both right and left hooks, so I can use the latches on either side. I'm using the other three latches for the extra cabinet that will go in the dining room.

Shades, I've always envied your pantry! I used wallpaper in the pantry, too--cut it to fit all those little shelves--that way I didn't have to wait for the paint to cure before loading them. I buy the wallpaper at a local outlet for $1.00/roll, and it's usually pre-pasted, so if you wet it, it stays in place.

You mentioned the vinegar/heat technique: The latches were shiny brass. To make them look vintage, I soaked them overnight in apple cider vinegar, then 'baked' on a cooky sheet, 300 degrees, until they darkened. After I attached them to the cabinets, I used a scrubbie to take the patina off the top of the handle--as if it hand worn off with years of being pushed with a thumb. Wish I were closer to take advantage of the deals on cabinets. I decided to buy inexpensive drawer bases at Lowe's--they'll be painted the Dried Hydrangea color. It's so nice not to have to rinse sawdust off everything that comes out of a lower cabinet! I look at magazines backwards...talk about great minds ;)

marti8a, my very first question on GW was about black marble. I bought polished tiles at Lowe's (I really don't own stock in Lowe's, LOL) for $1.49/sq.foot. I'm sure it was seconds, and was highly polished. I bought more than I needed, then culled out the best tiles for the kitchen counter. I used the best of the 'rejects' for the prep sink counter, since it was practice for the kitchen. I honed the tiles by dipping them in a white vinegar bath, then in a baking soda bath to neutralize the acid. Rinsed in water, then sanded with progressively finer sandpaper, to a soft glow.

On the prep sink, since it is a 'wet' area, we left a 1/8" space for grout. After I grouted, I wiped out the bevel. When the grout cured I used Milliput epoxy putty in each grout line, cut level with the surface of the tile. Again, I got lucky--the Milliput putty comes in three colors: white, gray, and black, and the black is a perfect match for the New St.Laurent marble. When the epoxy cures, it can be sanded and buffed to match the different color nuances in the marble. I used a pin to scratch lines across the cured putty, connecting the natural lines in the marble, and also used some of my daughters' cast off nail polish, which worked amazingly well to simulate the white marble veins.

Since the kitchen counter is mostly a buffet (not wet, or a prep zone), I skipped the grout, butted the tiles, and filled the bevels with the epoxy putty. Then scratched the designs on the cured putty, as before.

**I admit--this is an experiment,** but a fairly inexpensive one--the kitchen counter cost only about $100. It would have been closer to $150, but I used some left-over materials. If it doesn't hold up, I can redo it myself in a few years. So far, the prep sink counter is holding up well, with daily use. Currently the coffee maker is sitting on a metal tray on that counter, and no problems, except for a few surface scratches where the tray has been pushed around. I take care of scratches and etches with a fine sanding sponge, and try not to nag everyone :(

Sorry if this is more than you ever wanted to know about marble tile :)

o

Not too much, never can tell me enough about how something was done. Thank you. I love that you etched and painted your epoxy to make the whole thing flow.

o

"Sorry if this is more than you ever wanted to know about marble tile :)"

Not at all I was absorbing every word. REALLY. It looks so good. And now I see why.

o

Mama, I was completely absorbed in your account. My hat is off to you for being so innovative. You used the apple cider vinegar for the latches, and the white vinegar for the marble. Vinegar is a great all-purpose chemical, good for many many things. I'm saving your post in my Clippings because of the detail you give us. Thank you a bunch.

o

"Mama, I was completely absorbed in your account."

me too!wow - you've gone to such detail!

o
Mama, Dried Hydrangea is beautiful

I was first fascinated with the name, then discovered that about 3 manufacturers make a paint with that color name. You said Valspar at Lowes is the one you used.

Well, I went to Lowes to get it, and they said they'd discontinued the SeaScape line of paints which included that Dried Hydrangea, but he could mix me an equivalent color. I said give me a sample of it.

This morning I made a sample board with that paint over a white primer. And it looks like an antiqued golden green, which I thought I'd ask you about. Is that similar to your paint? It could also be considered a little metallic because of the gold in it. A very subtle paint, and I think it would look great on some furniture pieces, as well as walls.

Anyway, now I am heading to Home Depot in a day or so to get the version of that paint under the Martha Stewart brand, then Ace Hardware has one by that name. I will get samples of all of it, to see how they all interpret it. My impression is, all of them realize it is a name which evokes a lot of fond memory for many people.

o

Thank you all!

Moccasin, funny that you should describe the Dried Hydrangea as 'antiqued golden green'. I had painted a hand-me-down curio cabinet with some left-over Green Willow, then antiqued it with left-over Golden Oak stain. I liked the color so much that I chose the paint chip that most closely matched it. I don't remember the brand of paint for the chip--our guy at Lowe's will mix any color in Valspar. Once I mixed up a bunch of left-over paint in a five-gallon dry-wall bucket, trying to get a good color for our house foundation. Couldn't get quite what I wanted, so I asked him what colors to add. Some of the paint wasn't even purchased at Lowe's, but the paint guy said, "Bring it in--I'll tint it for you." It came out perfectly!

o

Mama, can you show me the pictures here of the Dried Hydrangea painted objects, as well as the other stuff painted with the "golden green" antiqued paint/stain? I cannot tell which picture it is that displays your use of it.

The sample I got from Lowes is the most antiqued looking, and over a white-primed strip of wood, it looks very distressed...which is GOOD for me.

My first use is to paint the borders of the double doors of the Teahouse with a shamrock and some trimlines. I want it to look old for years, not freshly done. At this time, I have three choices to try. For instance, my samples change color as they dry for several days, and I will wait for that change. I'm inclined to call the color CHAMELEON, or GECKO GREEN......hehehehehe

o

moccasin, I put together an album with pics of my green cabs, both with and without flash. I bought the soft-gloss kitchen and bath paint, which loses some gloss as it cures. The flash makes it look glossier than it is IRL, after several weeks of curing. My pics aren't very good quality, and everything's still in a mess, but I hope it helps. Your teahouse door sounds lovely--the 'Dried Hydrangea' would make a good choice, similar in color to the 'Sheepshire'/sour clover/oxalis we used to eat as children.

Here is a link that might be useful: It ain't easy bein' GREEN

o

After Nancy asked about the latches on the old school cabinets, I started thinking about a project to use them, even though they no longer work. They have a great patina, and I couldn't just toss them, so I decided to use them on a small bi-fold door, on the closet under the stairs. I trimmed it in poplar, painted to match the kitchen cabinets, then attached a vintage latch to each section.

Here is a link that might be useful: bi-fold door, pics 76--80

o

Oooohh, I can't wait 'til you see what I found this week-end! I plan to use it in the dining room area for storage. It needs some work, but I'm getting used to that.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics 82-84

o

OH WOW It is darling!!! Do you have the drawers or do you need to build them? It is not all that hard to build drawers. Paint them the same color perfect storage. I just love to re purpose things.

o

That is so cute! I've never seen a stove like it. It will make a good storage unit. You find the best stuff!

o
Me again, with a question for you

How much time do you spend every day working on your projects? You seem to get so much done while I just think about what I want to do.

o

Mama, you mean to say that stove sat with the rusty sediment in its seams since 1937? SEVENTY FOUR YEARS? Waiting for you to come along and save it from oblivion....

Hmmmm, you did wonders to those bifold doors. The trim made a big difference. And the old latches used as handles or pulls is sheer inspiration. You do quality work, lady. I love shutters and bifolds, they take up much less space than a full swing door. Even opening like French doors, they look great too.

o

Thanks, shades! The drawers are all there--one of them has a timer that still works! All the drip pans and oven racks are there, too--I've been painting the boxes and pans to seal the rust.

Thanks, marti! I drove for over 2 hours to pick up the stove, in Galloway,Oh. The stove had a paper sticker attached, from an antiques store in Brandenburg, NC ($150 negotiable :P). When I took the drawers out, I found a metal tag from the Buckeye Stove Co., Portsmouth, Oh, which is 20 minutes from where I live! That makes it all the more special.

I have to wait for help for the heavy work on the kitchen, so I try to stay busy with smaller projects. I don't work outside the home--I babysit our 3-yr-old grandson, so I have time to work on the house. When he starts school, I'll probably start looking for a job. :(

moccasin, it's definitely been in a flood. I've been working on the stove today, and I found that the u-channel at the bottom edge of the stove body was full of packed dirt and rust. I loosened it with a screwdriver, then attached a small tube to the shop-vac to get as much out as possible.

Thank you for the compliments! I plan to put the stove on the wall beside the bi-fold doors. It's directly across from the back door, and is the first thing anyone sees when entering from that door--should be a real conversation starter!

o

I guess I missed the other pictures. This is such a treasure. So happy for you. Even all the effort to deal with the rust will be so worth it. It will be perfect storage.Over the top cute to look at.

I also missed the doors you fixed up. They are wonderful. Love the latches. I wish you had been around when we had our last house. I would have taken pointers from you to make my flat doors pretty.

Your workmanship is wonderful.

o

Thank you, shades, that is a great compliment--'cuz your workmanship is excellent!!

I just have to link a thread I found in the kitchen forum, about vintage, and vintage-style hardware and mortised hinges. According to the posters, mortised hinges (like the ones on our old school cabinets) are around $25.00 per pair. There are 10 pairs on each of our cabinets--that means our cabinets ($250.00 each) were virtually FREE!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Woohoo!!

o

Progress pics on the vintage cabinets, and a question:

I'm trying to decide whether to paint the glass door frames off-white or black. With all the colored pottery, I'm thinking off-white, but I like the inspiration picture (scroll forward to #88), and black would match the island/work-table, and counter and cabinet pulls on the other side of the room.

What do you think? Am I trying to cram in too much vintage pottery? Too many colors? Thanks in advance!

BTW, the old stove is finished, and nestled against the stair-wall--scroll forward for pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage upper cabinet--chock full of junk already :)

o

I think white too. Your inspiration picture didn't have as many things going as your kitchen, so it needed something.

I LOVE the way the old stove turned out. You sure do work fast.

o

This is one of the absolute BEST kitchen renovations I have seen--and I check out the kitchen forum often. You did an outstanding job. The vintage pottery is perfect!

o

WOW LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have done. The stove is so darling.I love you are using it in an unexpected way. Perfect. Would like to know more about the putty door knobs. Maybe a close up.

I think the inspiration picture is wonderful . I also like the idea of white door frames.To me the black frames are a more modern look.

Even with out the fancy hinges I think your cabinets are worth a million bucks in appearance. And what you have done to them. CaChinggggggggggg I drool every time I look at the cabinets in the old grocery store. Very close to what you have.Not as nice and not uppers with glass doors.

PS. Columbine are growing great guns!!! They are going to be hardy ones.

o

Thanks, marti8a, that's what I was thinking about the door frames, but it's nice to have backup. :) The stove was in good shape on the outside--just needed some touch-ups. I sprayed the rusty inside panels, drawer boxes, and drip pans with epoxy appliance paint, so that was easy, too. The metal tag on the inside of the stove says '60th year,' which dates it to 1932.

dretutz, thank you very much. I'm only half-way there, so stay tuned!

shades, thank you so much--it's a relief to get the cabinet mounted, and out of the living room. It's like taking down the Christmas tree--an added bonus is that the LR seems bigger now. I hope there are vintage cabinets in your future!

I've added a close-up of the stove knobs. I used the Milliput brand, two-part epoxy putty, the same that I used to fill the grout lines on the marble tile counter. I love that stuff! I've used it to repair chips on pottery and old enamel bread boxes, and to join two pieces of marble to make a door pull. It cures HARD, and can be sanded smooth, then painted.

Thrilled about the columbine--I feel like a proud aunt. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stove knobs

o

WOW So happy to know about this putty. I remember you doing the counter with it. I did not know you could do so much else. Going into my address book of must remember items. I am SURE I can use this stuff in a project or two. Your knobs look great. I never would have noticed they were not original.

o

Small update:

I finished the cookbook shelves at the end of the vintage cabinet run. I was so ashamed of the condition of two of my favorite cookbooks, I covered them with scrap wallpaper--after 33 years of use, one was literally falling apart. The top shelf displays more vintage pottery.

I also hung one of the glass doors to check the fit before painting. I've been considering leaving off the two middle doors, for open shelf display--I have a mock-up of trim pieces at the top corners. The cabinets are only 10" deep, rather than the standard 12" for upper cabinets, so the advantage to leaving off the doors, is that I can store my dinner plates there--if the doors are on, the plates won't fit.

The unused doors will fit the cabinet that I plan to put in the dining room. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: cookbook shelves

o

I really like the idea of leaving the doors off the center cabinet. Especially if it makes it more user friendly. And to be able to use them in another place is even better. I also like the trim pieces you are considering. Nice touch.

Loving your Jar collection. Good idea on the cook book re-cover. I have one in that condition. An old Betty Crocker.

o

Thanks, shades, and thanks for the compliments on the stove knobs.

Betty Crocker's Cooky Book was one of the cookbooks that I re-covered, along with a Better Homes, loose-leaf.

BTW, there is a current thread in the Kitchens forum, encouraging posting of progress pictures, so here is my thread there:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty in Pink (you know my kitchen isn't pink, but there's a reason for this title :)

o

oops I posted answer on your other thread. Got confuzzled as to where I was.

I AM going to cover that cook book. Maybe even make a place on my pantry shelves for the books. Right now they are in cupboard in plastic dish pan. I have to drag it out to get one out. Not very handy. I have some lovely paper and I even know where the paste is. Did you have to tape your binding before papering it? Mine is loose.

o

LOL, it was in such bad shape, I used duct tape on it, inside and out! I used double-sided tape for the wallpaper.

o

Hey, Shades, I covered a lot of my old books with scraps of the textured wallpaper. You can use a watered down carpenter glue (the white stuff), and let the paper soften up a little before smoothing it out. I still have some of those books, and I did it about 20 years ago. Of course, I used to work in a public library when they were underfunded, and repairing books was one of my chores there. However, nothing to it.

Duct tape is a marvelous thing, if it stays stuck. I worked with a guy (on the boats) who used it wrapped around his shoes when the soles came unsewn, he never spent money if he could help it.

o

Hi, ML, duct tape has held the deli drawer in my fridge together for 5 years. Every time I open the door I think of Red Green!

o

Since I put the old stove in the DR side of the kitchen, I thought I'd add a couple of pics of that area. The cabinets that are lined up against the far wall were in other locations before we added the new back door, and took out part of the dividing wall. I guess I'll have to find a new location for them (probably the bedroom--everything else seems to end up in there), because that wall will house the second school cabinet.

The oak pedestal table is an heirloom, but it seems really dark--maybe I can paint the chairs several light colors, and throw on a vintage-style table cloth. They aren't original--what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: how the other half lives

o

Looks great. I do not think it looks too dark.

I used to use an old jelly cabinet in our bedroom for sweaters. Jeans on the bottom shelf. I figured how to fold them to fit the shelves. Worked great and the cabinet was much narrower then a dresser is and holds as much if not more. Just a thought. I think I put lace across the screen door that is on the cabinet. I do not remember.

I would do it again if I did not already love my dressers so much.Cause it really worked well for the clothes.

I think the cabinets look fine in the room they are in. Maybe lighten them up. Table and chairs are beautiful.

o

shades, I like your ideas! The pie safe on the left used to store folded fabric, so it would be perfect for stacks of jeans and sweaters. I plan to put the other school cabinet on that wall in the DR--the cabinet is 10' long--no room for pie safes and flatwall cabs.

Update on the kitchen:

The green cabinets are anchored to the wall, and the refrigerator cabinet is finished, except for a small piece of trim on each side. I'll add the trim after the upper cabinets are installed.

I used the cabinet that we had built for a baking cabinet, when we were planning to put it in the slot left vacant by the recirculating hood. That was before we found the school cabinets--the 'baking' cabinet has been sitting on top of the old fridge, patiently awaiting it's turn! It has vintage green glass knobs, and re-used hinges from the former kitchen cabinets.

This has been my baby, start to finish. I went to the hardware store, bought a piece of 4x8 birch plywood for $46.00, brought it home in the pick-up, marked the measurements, and cut it with a jigsaw. I turned the smooth factory edge to the front, so my sometimes wavy cuts won't show. I used the table saw to rip various scraps of 2x2s, 1x4s, 3/4"x1/4" trim, and a routed scrap from another project, for the apron. I mitered the thin trim pieces with the chopsaw--my first project with mitered cuts.

The apron can be removed by taking out two screws on each side, in case the next fridge is taller. Required clearance on the sides and top is 3/8", but I have 3/4" on each side, and 3 1/2" on the top. Required clearance from the back wall is one inch--with the alcove, there is ap 5".

The old fridge is in the mudroom, being used as a backup. New fridge is an inexpensive 18cu.ft Frigidaire, bisque in color, but a little lighter than the stove and DW, oh well.

It took me days to level and anchor those cabinets--they aren't perfect, but they aren't going anywhere now!

And, since I've learned to post pics in the text--tada!!

Photobucket

Ready for salvaged countertops...I'm trying to recruit my BIL to help with that project!

Here is a link that might be useful: Refrigerator cabinet project

o

It looks great! Very smart of you to put a removable piece in case the next fridge is a different height. I am so proud of you for doing so much of this all by yourself. Woman power!

o

Thank you, marti! The smaller fridge has a more vintage look, but the appliance store rep told me that a lot of the smaller/top-freezer models are being discontinued. I don't know what will be available when this one needs to be replaced--I hope that will be many years in the future, but we lost a fairly new fridge to a power surge a couple of years ago--I want to keep my options open.

o

This looks Fantastic. Love the green knobs shining like jewels. You have a wonderful vintage can collection.

o

Mama- You continue to be my inspiration for wonderful ideas...especially in the kitchen :)

o

shades and lavender, Thank you! Oooooh, my mother just called this AM, to tell me that she found two more vintage green-glass pulls in her junk, er, I mean treasure stash!

I'm sorry for all the drive-by's lately--I've been hanging out in the Kitchens forum, while making slooooow but steady progress on my small projects.

Except for some short curtains to screen the two lower shelves, the vintage cabinet run is finished. (Imagine 'Ode to Joy' in the playing in the background.) I used a 1x6 filler piece at the top, then re-used the crown molding from both of the cabinet uppers. I had to piece it together to accommodate the filler piece. It's my first project using compound miter cuts, and let me tell you--I've had plenty of exercise running between saw and kitchen, making tiny cuts, trying to get the angles right on that old 'unsquare' cabinet!

I decided to use all four glass doors--another adventure, because I'm not sure if they're all (or, any of) the original doors to this cabinet--the hinges on one door are slightly longer that the others, and I had to plane a few corners to get the doors to close. I guess it's all part of the vintage charm!

I'm ready to start experimenting with a couple of small pieces of epoxy resin for the countertops. One of my brothers has offered to help, so I hope in my next progress update I can report success. If not, I'll go back to the drawing board. Or maybe I'll use painted plywood, as they did on the set of 'Something's Gotta Give.' (Remember the T1-11 countertop!)

Anyway, pics of the cabinets:

Photobucket

Rebuilt side:
Photobucket
(This side was a 3/4" board--I added a 'false side' to match the rail on the left side, and I had to reposition the corbel.)

Fuzzy pic of the whole 11' run:
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Before pic of vintage cabinet

o

oh, mama g! that is beautiful! awesome! wonderful! gorgeous!

oh, lucky you! lol - 'oh, hard working you'!!!

o

AMAZING!!!! GORGEOUS!!! I have total kitchen envy. You have done such a wonderful job. So proud of you learning all the wood working skills and doing such a professional job of it. I am in AW.................

Love all your gallon jars lined up. And your pretty vintage pottery on the top shelves.

Did you paint the gallon jar lids?

Every thing looks so good!!!

o

desertsteph, thank you! Lol, when I get so excited over finding a couple of old glass pulls, do you think it's time for a break from kitchen stuff?!

shades, yes, I spray-painted the lids on the gallon jars, with paint left over from other projects. Some of them had already been painted blue-green to match the old kitchen. Thank you for the compliments and encouragement!

Oops, I forgot to mention--I haven't yet learned to use the router, so my BIL kindly routed the 1x6 filler piece on the trim. Buying a board and routing it was less expensive than buying preformed trim. Before I do the trim at the ceiling, I need to learn that skill.

o

Well, I'm reporting success in cutting the lab-table tops, at least the two smallest pieces. My brother used a grinder with a diamond-tipped blade, the same as for cutting tile. He clamped a straight edge to the slab, then made several passes of 1/4" deep cuts. He clipped the corner for the piece for either side of the fridge, to allow the door to open past 90 degrees, and so no one will hit a sharp corner on the other side.

The cuts were made so the raw sides would be against the wall, and against the fridge cabinet. I sanded the clipped corners with a belt sander, with 220 grit paper, then used 400 grit on a palm-sander. Finally used 600 grit with a buffer (automotive type), then buffed with the fuzzy bonnet. Also rounded the beveled edges with the same process, and used the buffer on the top surface, with the 600 grit paper, then the fuzzy bonnet.

I scrubbed the tops with dish soap and a scouring pad, then polished the pieces with a little mineral oil, and slid them into place (with help from my elder daughter--those things are heavy!)

If you recall, we bought four 30" x 54" oak lab tables that were salvaged from an old high school, for $20.00 each, but I'll need only three of them. So, except for the cost of a saw blade, the countertops on one side of the kitchen will cost about $60.00. I plan to use the left-over epoxy putty from the marble top, to fill the seams (one long seam, in the ell left of the trash pull-out, and two short seams behind the sink.)

*NOTE* If ever you cut or sand epoxy resin tops, be sure to wear eye protection and a dust mask, and cut OUTSIDE, upwind of the work area. I was amazed at the amount of dust that the grinder produced--it was a nice breezy day, which helped blow a lot of the dust out of the area.

Larger of the two pieces--the microwave will sit beside the fridge.
Photobucket

Long shot, during salsa season. :)
Photobucket

o

wow - that counter top looks great! so smooth looking. bet you love that!

love the tomatoes too! I'm not doing any this yr. I bought 2 plants. 1 was eaten w/in hours and the other one died within days. (after it was adjusted to the outside) - sigh. I guess it wasn't meant for me to have home grown ones this yr. I'll try again next yr.

I did think about buying some just to make up some sauce quickly in the food mixer thing - then decided naw...I've got too much else going on that I'm not doing...

o

Thanks, steph, my daughter is the gardener this year, although most of the tomatoes in that pic came from my father's garden. I'm making him no salt/no sugar salsa.

The countertop is nice and smooth. Same issue as stone though--if I dropped a jar, I'm sure it would be history. I think if I used the 400 grit paper on the palm-sander and got a little creative, I could make it look more like soapstone--before I polished it with mineral oil it was lighter in color. But, with the mottled black marble on the other side of the kitchen, that might be a little too busy.

I didn't sand out the deeper scratches--IRL, if you look closely at the back right corner, you can see 'KYLE' faintly scratched into the surface.

And, since we know they came from a high school science lab, I think this piece of scrap speaks for itself (LOL):

Photobucket

Here's a pic of the slabs, top and bottom, stored on the front porch:

Photobucket

And today's pic with bargain-bin hardware (.99 and 1.78)--I couldn't get enough of either style to do every drawer the same:

Photobucket
I decided to put regular pulls on the bottom drawers, so I don't need to bend quite as far--I pull them from the top. The cardboard box is roughly the dimensions of a smaller microwave that I have on order--it will leave more counter space in front and side, for landing space.

o

Again you have pulled off another great project. Totally loving those counter tops.I also like the mix up drawer pulls.

I also have a router. Never used it and have had it for over 20 years. EEEEKKKKK I did finally take the plunge and use my tile saw after having it over a year. Sheese it was a piece of cake to use. I do not know why I was so afraid of it.

Those tomatoes are gorgeous. Ours are still very green. Hoping they turn soon.

o

You are brilliant! Those countertops are perfect. If they're not soapstone, what are they? I just love the way your kitchen turned out.

o

Those countertops are beautiful! Your kitchen is such a treasure and I look forward to seeing each new piece, put into place. It's the only 'GW' kitchen my DH even has an interest in, as he's been very impressed with all your creativity...but I think our favorite part is still the vent/hood over the stove :)

o

I agree, another great project of re-use in the Re-Model of the century!

I had my eye on old lab cabinets on Craigslist about two years ago. I tried to talk DH into letting me do the kitchen with these steel cabinets with 30" deep resin tops, but he vetoed it. Upon reflection, it was a good idea. The drawers were only 18" wide, and the deep ones would not have worked well for pan storage, being so narrow. But we did buy the set anyway, and I have them in the garage. We are slowly moving the tools, hardware and painting and plumbing supplies into them. The resin tops were so heavy that the guy who sold them to us and his son could barely lift them into place. He said I didn't have to worry about my cabinets going anywhere with those resin tops on top.

I love how you have the patience to do the work to make your kitchen become just how you want it to be, Mama Goose.

o

Oh, Mama, you are so GOOD at what you are doing! I love your schoolhouse cabinet. The muntins in the four glass doors are combining with the shelves to create a grid like subway tiles. All the same dimensions and very pleasing to the eye. And you've filled it with great objects as well. Those huge brackets reveal that this piece of cabinetry is not wimpy and can take anything thrown into it.

But tell me....on the beadboard beneath that upper cab, IS THAT DRIED HYDRANGEA COLORED PAINT? And is it Valspar or is it Martha Stewart or is it Ace's brand of Dried Hydrangea?
Is that the color you are using in your kitchen? It is a very soft shade, and I still like it, but have not finished my job using that color.

Like Nancy/Mich says, your kitchen redo will be the remodel of the century! And it will probably last into the next century. Especially since you allowed room for a variable size replacement fridge. Smart not to box yourself in.

And when you have those extra pieces of the counter tops, I can see them used, even without honing down, just cutting to shape, and placing them in your BUTTERY PROJECT. In fact, when you feel this kitchen project has begun to wind down, cast your creative thoughts toward the Buttery. I know there is no one else on this planet who has the opportunity to create a private haven in such a structure. A real little jewel, and such a great place to run away from home. Even drag a laptop (or tablet or notebook) and a cuppa tea to chat with all of us teahouse afficianados.

Well, my coffee is getting cold since I type with both hands, so gotta stop. Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

o

shades, thanks, I love my tile saw! I'll let you know how the router works out.

marti, thank you, I'm happy with them, but it's nice to know others like them, too. About a year ago I found an add on craigslist for used lab tables for $20.00 each. They had been salvaged from a high school in Springfield, OH, then used in a church/Sunday school. The tops are epoxy-resin, impervious to most chemicals, very dense, so they don't absorb anything, therefore no stains. They will scratch, so can't be used for cutting boards, but since I never cut directly on my laminate that won't be a problem.

lavender, I'm glad that you and DH can enjoy my kitchen projects together--I'll try to keep 'em coming.

nancy, tell DH he missed a great opportunity, but your cabs sound great for the garage, too. My hulking brother did most of the moving of the slabs, and all the cutting. I did the easy part--sanding and polishing. I love that kid!

moccasin, you don't miss a detail, and never fail to leave thoughtful comments--thank you. Yes, the paint on the vintage cabinet beadboard is from the same can of paint--I painted the panels before I attached them to the cabinet, then used a thin strip of scrap wood for trim where the panels meet the marble top. The paint is Valspar Kitchen and Bath, soft gloss, but I don't remember if the paint chip I selected was in the Valspar line.

My plan is to try to finish the house this year (I can work inside during cold weather), then next summer devote my time to the yard and outbuildings, including the buttery. I'm finding that I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time--better get all this done before I get much older. ;)

o

""My plan is to try to finish the house this year (I can work inside during cold weather), then next summer devote my time to the yard and outbuildings, including the buttery. I'm finding that I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time--better get all this done before I get much older. ;)

MamaG, sounds like a plan to me. I will be there with you every step of the way, excited at the prospects of what that buttery might become. You know how to create a new identity for old objects, so it will be newly incarnated for the next century of its existance. Little out buildings are opportunities to express your creative side.

In my case, the kitchen HAD to be put on hold so we could spend our money on the Teahouse. Then we'll have some place to store the contents of our house while they tear it apart to do the kitchen, the whole house floors, and extend the master bedroom when they raise the level of that old back porch and add it into the kitchen. That, simply put, is the nature of our kitchen project. Everything else, like the dining room window seat, MAY have to be postponed depending on the cost. This economy is turning ugly on us.

o

moccasin, I have to admit that when I saw the living roof on the Inspiration Green blog, I thought of my buttery roof. It's metal (tin?), sloped, with an eastern exposure, but it's so old I don't know if it would support the weight of a living roof. LOL, every year silver maples sprout in the gutters--would that count as a living roof? :)

You have so many interesting ideas, I'll look forward to your new projects, especially the kitchen.

I've been busy in my kitchen, working on the cabinets for either side of the fridge cabinet. As usual I re-used some things from the old cabinets, and used some scrap pieces. For the drawer cabinet, microwave cabinet, and open shelf all I had to buy was a sheet of 4x8 birch plywood, and two pieces of poplar trim--about $55.00.

***I painted the open shelf and microwave cabinet 'Adobe White,' but I can't decide if I like it, or if it would look better painted green. I'd appreciate your opinions.***

I used three drawers and the drawer pulls from the old kitchen cabinets. That's a wooden tray, from Goodwill, in the cubby:
Photobucket

Re-used a cabinet door for the microwave cubby. The bar on the front supports the door when it's open, to extend the landing space for the fridge:
Photobucket

I lined the door with left over aluminum flashing, so it can be used for landing space for hot pots from the stove:
Photobucket

I am experimenting with ceiling trim, as you can see in the first pic above. My next project is molding, then I'll be ready for the sink wall, where I'll replace the sink and faucet, and use the other lab tables for countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Kitchen album--scroll backward

o

Mama, I like the way the cabs around the fridge are green, and the frames of the glass fronted doors are white, as are the interiors of that cabinet.

I'm not sure if the entire stove area cabs should be painted green or not, but that might look good green as well. But leave the interiors white?

The white seems to match the appliances, and it would be good to also have the crown molding white. But I think the green could even up the cabs you've combined around your range and the gorgeous hood. It would serve to focus more attention on your hood, you backsplash behind the range, and high light the crown molding.

If you used a different green for the walls beside the fridge cabs, it seems to be green as well. Is that OUR
Dried Hydrangea? If you do not want the entire cabs upper and lower to be that darker green, then WOULD it work to turn those white cabs that lighter green? I'm asking, not saying it would do it, but just wondering how that could fit in. That is a big chunk of white in a kitchen that is not a "white" kitchen.

You did a great job with the painting, so meditate on doing some other color. I don't think I'd bring in a third colorway, you kitchen is the proper mood for your house.

And as an aside comment.
Wow, I did not realize that you started this thread almost a YEAR AGO? Time flies when you keep busy.

o

"I did not realize that you started this thread almost a YEAR AGO? Time flies when you keep busy."

A remodel is hectic for sure, but this has been therapy.

moccasin, my DD2 requested a yellow kitchen, so the wall color is yellow (Star Dust), with a green undertone--kind of the opposite of 'Dried Hydrangea,' which you observed is green with a gold cast. My mother likes the green so much, she wants me to paint all the cabinets 'Dried Hydrangea!'

I'll live with it for a while. I plan to attach corbels to the other cabinets, and build an under-cabinet shelf for jars of spices. The corbels are already built and painted white, so painting the open shelves green may help balance all the white on that side.

The backsplash will probably be beadboard, which I was considering painting 'Star Dust.' I'd like to do subway tile, but the beadboard will be OK for the time being.

o

I love the microwave cubby. It looks like a bread bin. What is lining the inside of the door?

o

I have a corbel! Just one, but it's lovely, Adobe White, and the cabinet has a bottom rail to match the vintage glass-front cabinets. Actually, I have a few more corbels, but I can't attach them until the beadboard is on the wall behind the sink. They match the upper curve on the huge corbels across the room, but are only 1 1/2" wide, to be more in proportion to the smaller cabinets. I cut them with a jigsaw, from a left-over 1x12 board, then laminated and sanded.

Unpainted beadboard:
Photobucket

Wider shot. I plan to put a cup hook or two in the empty space between corbel and microwave cabinet.
Photobucket

martia8a, thank you, the breadbox look was what I was hoping for. The door liner is a left-over piece of roof flashing (edges sanded), from the hood project, applied with some thumbtacks.

BTW, the old pitcher belonged to my husband's grandfather. He used it to dip sugar and sour mash in his homemade 'still. ;)
The rooster is a S/P shaker my grandmother probably picked up at a yard sale or flea market. She always rescued the ones that were missing a mate. :)

o

I like the corbel! It really makes that corner and I think cup hooks are a great idea :)

The microwave does look like a bread box...very clever!

o

Pure genius, Mama! I aspire to your level of invention and courage to try new things, but I doubt I could ever match you. The breadbox idea, then the landing spot and tin for the breadbox door - and a perfectly made handle that provides a level surface - are so Mama Goose!

I am with ML in thinking that there needs to be green paint on the breadbox and the cupboard above the corbel. I am leaning toward wanting the open shelves above the microwave left white, but I also like the balance created when only the frames of the glass doors above the fridge are white. That draws the eye upward and visually extends the fridge. I also agree that making the right side cupboards green brings the hood into prominance.

Good job all around, as usual. I can't wait for the next steps!

o

Thank you, nancy, I am leaning toward the green paint, too. Although the white is OK, there's something about it that's off. If I start painting those cabinets green, that may be a 'slippery slope'--where do I end the green paint? The white cabinets to the right of the stove hood will have the same bottom rail and corbel, painted white to match. So, would those elements be white or green? Green cabinet and rail, and white corbel?

Close up of trim:
Photobucket

When I was planning that side of the kitchen I envisioned the microwave box in black, to go with the counter, as shown in this rough mock-up:

Photobucket

A green version:
Photobucket

And yellow, as ML mentioned:
Photobucket

I have an extra door, already painted green, and I had planned to reverse the door, anyway, so this is what it would look like with only the door painted on the cabinet next to the hood (wooden block is just a chock):
Photobucket

And, with the microwave cabinet painted green:
Photobucket

Should I do as my mother suggested, and paint all the upper cabinets green? Yikes--too many options!

Thank you to all who have tried to help me with this dilemma. We're having gorgeous weather, so I may take a break to do some much-needed yard maintenance, and give the kitchen a rest. :)

o
One more

With green door, black microwave box and white shelves:
Photobucket

I gotta get some fresh air...

o

I think I found the answer. It is in your photos:

We needed to see this photo to understand that the tall narrow cab needs to remain white. You gave us a clue when you talked about the cabs to the right of the stove, so I went looking for a photo.

Since the cab is white, the rail and corbel can be white. :-)

In order to balance the green from the left of the fridge, I would paint the shelves to the right green. At least the front edges of the rounded shelves, the tall left vertical edge and the top. I believe that the right side remains white because it is actually the box of the white cabinet. You can leave the interior side and back white, at least as you try out the new green front and evaluate further. The green edge may be all you need to balance the cabs on the right and left of the fridge.

Once that shelf edge is green, you can decide if the breadbox needs to be green. You may be able to leave it white, but from your mock-up above, it may look better green. It will "pop" more white, though. It is not actually a cabinet, but its own entity, like an appliance, so maybe it can be white, like the fridge. A photo taken from farther away once the edges of the open shelf are green would show whether you need to go green with the breadbox, too.

Green appears to make those cupboards retreat, or fade back out of sight. The cabs to the left of the fridge seem to have disappeared to me, with the wall by them green, too. Is that the dried hydrangea, as ML said? If it is, maybe cutting it down by half would make the green cabs reappear?

Isn't it easier to have strong opinions about each other's projects, rather than our own? It feels good to get away from my own paint dilemmas for a while and tackle yours!

o
RE: black breadbox

I just realized I skipped your idea of the microwave breadbox being black. I think black should be reserved for your amazing counters and the table/island that you and your DH made together. The black pot on display is fine, as are other black decorations. Making the breadbox black would make it hard to distinguish against the countertop and would make the countertop pop less. If you want the breadbox to pop, leave it white. If you want it to fade into the cabinetry, paint it green.

o

nancy, until I read your perspective I hadn't realized that I didn't have a picture of that whole wall. I should have uploaded one, to give everyone the full picture and more information.

To preserve my sanity, I've been thinking of the kitchen remodel in stages, and trying to finish each stage before going on the the next one:

1) east wall--wider opening, pantry cab
2) north wall--vintage glass front cabinets
3) south wall--fridge cab area to stove/hood
4) west wall--corner to right of stove, sink wall

The old white upper cabinets are part of the sink wall, so I didn't think to include a picture of them. Here are a few of the whole run, taken from the door from the living room:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Wider view of the stove area:
Photobucket

Different view, taken from the entry from new additon:
Photobucket

As I said before, the cabinets to the right of the stove will have the same style bottoms rails and corbels, but will also have a cup shelf where I'll keep my herbs and spices in pint jars.

The laminate tops will be replaced with the black lab tops, and the sink will be replaced with a new stainless steel apron front, with a bridge faucet. The base cabinets will be green 'Dried Hydrangea,' with a new drawer base to the right of the stove.

The color on the east wall, beside the green cabinets to the left of the fridge is 'Star Dust,' a yellow with a greenish tone. I'll be using it in the dining room, too.

I hope this helps with the overall feel of the room--I'm still open to ideas.

o

That did help, seeing the whole run.

I am considering the wall cabinets under the soffit as a set. For that reason, I still believe that the wall cab to the left of the stove needs to be white. Since the open shelf to the left of it goes to the ceiling, I group it with the green cabs as part of the fridge surround. That makes it green. I still think that the edge alone may be enough to make it feel like a part of the fridge surround. The breadbox could be either color, but I like leaving it white so it 'pops,' for the same reasons I said above.

I guess I didn't change my mind, then!

Come on, everybody, look at the whole area and give your ideas!

o
RE: more pics

That did help, seeing the whole run.

I am considering the wall cabinets under the soffit as a set. For that reason, I still believe that the wall cab to the left of the stove needs to be white. Since the open shelf to the left of it goes to the ceiling, I group it with the green cabs as part of the fridge surround. That makes it green. I still think that the edge alone may be enough to make it feel like a part of the fridge surround. The breadbox could be either color, but I like leaving it white so it 'pops,' for the same reasons I said above. Also, if the beadboard is going to be dried hydrangea, the breadbox might disappear if it is green.

Come on, everybody, look at the whole area and give your ideas!

o

Oops, a message popped up telling me that the message was rejected, so I changed the title and tried again. I Still got a message telling me that there was a problem with the web site and that the message didn't load. It was a really weird message, too. So beware and don't trust messages that lie!

o

Thank you, Nancy! I can use another cheerleader!

I agree about the 'sets.' The same thought has been in the back of my mind, but you articulated it so much better than I could have. The open shelf cabinet is also part of another set--the other open cabinets with rounded shelves, painted white, which is why I went with the white, even after planning for the cabinet beside the fridge to be green. Actually I couldn't decide until recently what to slide into that space, so I didn't really have a clear picture in my head.

And, another thought--if I paint the edges green, what do I do about the bottom shelf, which appears to be the top of the microwave cabinet? I built the microwave box to slide right under the shelf, as shown in this pic:
Photobucket

I know I'm over-thinking at this point, but I like your idea. I just need to give up coffee for a few days, so I can paint with a steady hand!

Another kitschy idea: I had wallpaper in both the old kitchen and dining room, and I'd like to use some wallpaper in the dining room. I could paper the back of that open cabinet (I made that suggestion on your 'bookcase' thread.) Since I have solid-color items on those shelves, would it be too much to have patterned paper? The back is smooth--I didn't use beadboard, since I paid extra for the nice birch plywood.

Thank you again, for taking the time from your projects to give me advice.

o

Yeah, Mama, have a nice cuppa camomile tea, sweetie!!!!

Nancy does have a good point. I am always in the corner of making a kitchen WHITE. That is always good, and can have a different effect quite easily in the future by painting the walls.

And I saw on the HGTV kitchen/bath newsletter I got today, a set of upper cabs just like your schoolhouse set with the glass doors. Fantastic looking, and a real designer used them in a kitchen they did for a paying client. You are right up there with the BEST, Mama.

If I read it correctly, Nancy says to paint the cabs surrounding the fridge white also. I think so too.

You can get the wallpaper in an allover green/white or gold/white design. Or even a black/white design. I bought a piece of fabric from Joann's Fabrics that is a gorgeous black/white abstract floral, and I really like it. It would even look good as a seat cushion fabric for your dining chairs. It or something similar to it, would be available in several colorways, just choose one that has the look you want. I might have to put up a picture for you to see what I mean. But such a wallpaper would fit into the back of cabs or small areas of wall surface. To my eye, it has a lot of impact, and would look fairly traditional. Are you into traditional stuff, Mama?

And this is the sort of design I was thinking of, but not it exactly. I left the b&W print and only have a pic of this chocolate/white thrown across the bed to see how it worked in the bedroom. But something graphic. Or maybe a toile. B&W or maybe G&W.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

moccasin, thank you, those glass front cabinets make me smile every time I walk into the kitchen!

I was thinking that Nancy meant to keep the cabinets around the stove white, but just this evening my DD and I had a conversation about painting the cabs to the left of the fridge white, too. I know the drawers would look so much more 'classic' in white with the black pulls, and white would lighten up the cubby, which is 21" deep, and looks like a dark hole. To balance everything, I believe you are right about painting them white.

In the meantime, I've been playing with wallpaper--I used some pieces from a roll of border I purchased at a Restore. I love the colors and pattern of poppies, but not as a border on a wall. The paper isn't pasted on--I left a little space between the pieces, which repeats the pattern of beadboard:
Photobucket

And with glass bowls on the shelf:
Photobucket
I'd like to use vintage-looking wallpaper in a tiny print, same colors, somewhere in the dining room.

That chocolate print is pretty, though--it reminds me of something from the 1950's. With all the mishmash of colorful pottery I'm displaying, I'm not sure about black and white.

I'd have to say my taste runs to vintage, with some American primitive (authentic--not painted crows or distressed cabinets), craftsman, and cottage styles. I love looking at pictures of primitive and shabby chic decorating, but couldn't live with either style IRL. I like earth-tones and neutrals--I'm breaking out with color in the kitchen. Before finding the kitchen table/island and lab-table tops, I've never decorated with the color black. (Other than my son's room, and I let him make the choices, there--B&W striped wallpaper and checkerboard floor, neon accent colors, and a blacklight to make sure that no one left without vertigo.)

o

I like the green, but I'm going along with the paint the cabinets white group. I think it will give everything a cohesive look and make your space look larger.

o

Thank you, marti8a!

When I thought about the finish I wanted on the cabinets, I wanted them to look as if they'd been here for decades, hand painted many times. LOL, looks as if that's exactly what I'm going to get!

o

Oh, if we have the option of changing the color of the cabinets above the counter to the left of the fridge, then I am all for painting them white, too. All white on the top and all green on the bottom would be a fine look.

I think a tiny print walpaper on the back of the shelves might look good, especially if the paper background is a white close to the paint color. Then the tiny repeating pattern would show several times around the items on the shelf. I believe that the larger poppy print is not visible behind the glass bowls and looks more busy. Sometimes BUSY can look CLUTTERED. I have so much clutter in my life that I would never encourage anyone to make any simple, uncluttered space look that way!

JMHO as always!

o

Mama, that is why I thought the black and white toile design would be to your liking. I made another shot close up of the brown/white fabric. If you can copy it to your computer, just lay it in the back of your cabs, the white ones, and see how such a graphic design might work. Do a plain paper black print, not a color print. It will come out b&w.

Drats, I sure wish I had the piece of fabric with the scroll b/w design. Reminds me of wrought iron in New Orleans. I left it in Mobile.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

nancy, clutter is my middle name. I hadn't considered painting the green cabinets white until DD2 mentioned it. If I paint the column of green cabinets white, I'll probably just keep the back of the open shelves plain. Unless I find a tiny print wallpaper for the DR, that I just LOVE. I was thinking of something that looks like chintz, that might even read as a solid color from a distance.

moccasin, I'll try printing that off. In the meantime I googled 'black and white print fabric' and found some nice ones. The fourth one reminds me of my parents' bedroom when I was growing up. Except the wallpaper was red, flocked, and I thought it was horrible! In black and white it's pretty.

mama c.goose :)

Here is a link that might be useful: B&W prints

o

Time for an update:

I still haven't made a decision on the white/green open shelf cabinet dilemma, but I've been busy working on the sink wall. I've commented on a couple of other threads that I knew it would be the most difficult part of the remodel--the sink cabinet is out of plumb, out of level, and the previous owner had actually reinforced in that way. I didn't want to disturb the plumbing, so I decided to build a skin around the cabinet, to square it, and to support the heavy countertop slab.

It's going on three weeks since my BIL unhooked the sink and dishwasher, but I've been able to use the sink in the new addition. I've been getting plenty of exercise, running around the corner every time I need to wash my hands.

The big news is that I've learned to use the router! I've routed a couple of pieces of trim (which isn't put up yet), and today I finished another project:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I used a 5/8" core box bit (actually ruined three of them) with a jig that my father built to gradually raise the router and taper the ends of the runnels. I'd have liked to have made them 15 inches long, but three chewed up $18.00 bits is enough of an investment for me. I've read that pro's charge $350 to $500 for runnels in marble and granite, so ap. $60.00 (bits and sand paper) isn't too bad.

Sanding and polishing:
Photobucket

Work table:
Photobucket

SAFETY FIRST: When cutting and sanding epoxy resin, always wear eye protection and a dust mask:

Photobucket

o

Oh, the countertop is beautiful! What a wonderful idea...you never cease to amaze me :)

o

AW Look at you all pretty and not a spec of dust on you. GREAT job with the router. Amazing that stone eats the bits like that.

I am also laughing at your pup just laying there like oh well. nothing new in this life. LOL

Do you think you have enough tools going on there? your kitchen is so amazing.

o

Yet another WOW!! MamaG mooment!

MamaGoose, did you have a of your supplies - the old school cabs with hutch, the resin tops, the marble tiles, the feed bin, on hand with a complete vision before you started work on the kitchen? Or did you start with one aspect (like the school cabs from that guy's garage) and then watch for tiles and just happen to find the resin counter tops?

I think I have learned a lot watching your kitchen remodel. I don't think I have had the patience that you have, though. I settled for a Wilsonart laminate from Craigslist for my library counter top, then had to buy the beveled edge. It is still a lot cheaper than stone, but I am waiting to see if it will turn out to be a good choice, or if it will look cheap.

You really do need an HGTV show, MamaGoose!

o

lavender, thank you, sometimes I wonder, "What was I thinking?!"

shades, LOL, thank you, but that grayish mask started out pure white. The dog is afraid of gunshots and thunder, but for some reason she feels safe under my feet, even with (many) power tools involved. I put a pic of the destroyed router bits in my kitchen album, link below.

nancy, we built an addition in 2008, cutting an opening in the kitchen for access. At that time we knew we'd need new countertops, but I was planning laminate, similar to what you will have in the library. However, when TV broadcast switched over to digital, and I found HGTV makeover shows on satellite, I started saying to myself, "Hey, that's neat, but I bet I can make it myself, for much less money." When I started using the internet shortly after, found ebay and craigslist (yeah, I'm a slow learner), the wheels started turning.

I found Gardenweb in April, 2010. By then I had the black marble tiles, and an image of what I wanted. I started searching for a salvaged marble slab, then found the table that we converted to an island. I already had a plan for the baking area, that included using the existing cabinets and adding open shelves, when I found the old school cabinets and knew they were meant for my kitchen! Since we hadn't started the remodel, it was easy to switch gears.

All the major pieces were stashed away before I started tearing off sheetrock to relocate the back door. LOL, I even had the paint purchased. I really enjoyed the 'treasure hunts' that may DH and I used to take, searching for used and salvaged items--some lovely memories of last spring and summer. After starting the remodel, I've found a few good deals on ebay--the ss farm sink, show-room bridge faucet and filter faucet. The bridge faucet is ORB--not my favorite, but such a good price, and it's the style I want. I guess the key is being flexible and waiting for the deals.

I don't think I have had the patience that you have, though. It helps to be a little crazy. ;)

You really do need an HGTV show, MamaGoose! Being a little crazy would help with this, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: lost cause

o

You've really done a great job!!!

I also have visions of LOTS of salvaged materials for my next house. I'll be going for primitive/industrial/organic, & I expect that my "hunting & gathering" process will be similar to yours...I am fondly watching your example...

~Jeana

o

InteriorStylist, Thank you very much. I'll be looking forward to following your progress, too.

o

Wow Mama Goose, that is just perfect! You totally rock. I love seeing what you accomplish with this kitchen. How did you sand inside the runnels?

o

Thank you, marti8a! I wrapped sandpaper around various sizes of wooden dowels and tubes, and used a small dowel with a sharpened point for the tapered ends of the runnels. I buffed the whole top again, then used the little felt cone-thing from the Dremel tool kit to polish the very tips of the tapered ends.

o

Very clever. I love it!

o

I thought I'd be finished by now, but no...however, I have water in the kitchen again, and some progress pictures.

Do you remember this? The cabinet was tilted toward the front right corner (1.5" off level), and someone had chocked the back of the cabinet before we bought the house. I didn't want to disturb the plumbing, so I had to square up the cabinet the best that I could.
Photobucket

Now it looks like this:
Photobucket
Check out that bubble, folks!

I added a 'skin' to the outside of the cabinet, to square it up, and to support the slabs. Also decided to use a short scrap piece of countertop for a backsplash, then added some of the left-over black marble. I cut a new window ledge from a scrap 1x12 (ripped it to 7.5" wide), and painted it to match the cabinet knobs. My long-suffering BIL cut the holes in the slab, then I installed the faucets and placed the sink. He hooked up the drain and reconnected the DW hose and drain:
Photobucket

Long shot (don't know why I can't seem to focus a camera):
Photobucket

This is the cup/spice shelf and paper towel holder:
Photobucket

I wanted to use some vintage sewing machine drawers beside the sink cabinet, but after adding the extra panels, the remaining space, was too narrow. I added some shallow shelves, where I have jars of baking spices, near the mixing/baking area. The old Mccoy pieces were a gift from my sister:
Photobucket

Different view. The paint is drying on the cabinet doors, as I type:
Photobucket

And, finally, the sink is just right for a four-year-old to relax and enjoy!
Photobucket

o

Mama Goose- It's wonderful! I think, no I'm sure...your kitchen is my very favorite remodeling project, on the forum. You've got a wonderful ability to see the possibilties in things that most of us would never consider. And, your storage solutions/shelving is just perfect. I love the cup/spice shelves, the shelves above the sink, next to the sink...I'm definitely saving these pictures for inspiration for my kitchen and pantry/laundry area.

Your style is so unique...I'm going to call it vintage/practical with a lovely spin on farmhouse. Does that fit? :)

o

LOL, I love the four year old in the sink. I agree, you have a good eye for seeing potential. I especially like the narrow shelves beside the sink.

o

Thank you, lavender. Your description is perfect!

And speaking of practical, I forgot to include info on the faucets. I'm going to include the cost of each, because they were such a fantastic deal!! I found the main faucet, a Franke Manor House, on ebay for $99.00 including shipping. It had been a showroom model, and had a couple of small scratches, which I covered with my daughter's bronze nail polish.

The filter faucet is a Little Gourmet from Mountain Plumbing, found on ebay for $26.00+11.00 shipping. It's an instant hot-only, meant to be used with an under-counter heater, but I hooked it up to the old Multi-Pure filter, and it works fine.

The sprayer is a Giagni, part of a set, but was sold alone on ebay for $12.00 including shipping. It's not hooked up yet because I'm still trying to figure out how to add it to the cold-water line without buying a separate pressure regulator. LOL, it may end up being a decoration. My grandmother had a hole for a sprayer, but no sprayer on her sink, so she always kept a bunch of plastic flowers in the hole!

Marti, thank you. He's always right in the middle of every project!

o

mama g - that faucet is incredible! I've not seen one I like better. and what a price you got on it! If you hadn't posted that the parts weren't a set I wouldn't have known it.

the granite behind it really sets it off I think.

when you finish up you should take some time off and go to AZ to soak up some sun. If you like to camp out in the semi-wilderness I know a great place - and it's free.

o

I love your cup rail and the towel holder is exactly what I have planned in my kitchen, except it will be for cloth towel. I love your kitchen!

How hard was it to attach the paper towel brackets to your existing top cabinets? Or how did you do it? Dh put about 3 nails into one here and I don't really like the way it turned out and don't want to repeat that with the towel holder.

o

I just have to write and say that you are my hero. :)
Your vision, creativity, and ingenuity are absolutely astounding. Your style is so my style, too, which makes it even more wonderful as I watch your kitchen progress. I'm about to embark on a remodel, including our kitchen...I'm also going with green and white cabs, I already own white appliances...including the same range you have!...and although can't fit it into the remodel now, plan to have a stainless apron front sink in the future. I'm currently fretting about range hoods and yours is fabulous!
I wish I could hire you to do my kitchen!

o

desertsteph, Thank you, the faucets look even better in person--the camera flash shows the red in the 'Mahogany Bronze' filter faucet. I knew my Smaller Homes friends would appreciate that deal! Thank you for the invitation ;). If my son was still in San Antonio, I might head that direction, 'cuz I need a vacation--even a working vacation!

Thank you, Marti! Each corbel is two pieces of board, laminated with glue and screws. One side, depending on which side of the cabinet it is mounted, is 3/4" taller than the other piece. That 3/4" lip is screwed into the bottom (rail?) of the cabinet side, underneath, lined up so that the shorter piece is flush with the cabinet side, outside. I then added a 3/4" trim piece to the bottom of each cabinet--mitered corners and trimmed to fit each quirky cabinet. I screwed through the shorter piece of corbel/bracket (upper curve area), into the cabinet, and added a screw near the bottom of each corbel, where it meets the back wall. I didn't need to line them up with studs because they aren't supporting anything. The towel holder corbels and spice shelf are attached to support pieces, which are screwed into the wall studs, parallel to the counter. The pieces are all connected--you can see them in the pic with my grandson in the sink. All the screw holes were countersunk and filled. I hope this isn't too confusing--if you (or hubby) need pics, I'll upload some. BTW, I can't take credit for the towel bar--it was part of a towel holder that my late MIL gave me years ago. I spray painted it to match the jar lids and old pantry boxes.

hlove, Thank you!! You all warm my heart. If you knew how many times I've had to back up, re-assess, and start over, you'd never want to hire me, especially by the hour! I have to say that after doing dishes by hand for a few days (DW heating element burned out during 2nd load after reconnecting it), I love the apron sink. It's a little deep for me, at 5'7", but I washed my biggest, heaviest baking dish in there today, and it was wonderful! I hope you keep us updated on your kitchen remodel. LOL, maybe we'll finish at the same time.

o

mama goose,
you have done some amazing work! It looks great and so very welcoming! Could you elaborate on how you made your hood - it's fantastic and I would love to be able to do something like that. I've got an old vintage stove that needs something like that above it. Any photos showing how you did it? Thanks!

o

amarantha, thank you, I love to pass on info! The link is for my hood album, with pics and captions. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. You can also click on my user name, click on the albums link, and find the same info. Feel free to look at any of them.

Hood Album

Hood inspirations pictures

o

Looking great there, Mama!! I copied your cup rail and the beadboard backsplash under the upper cabs, easier to show my DH and the designer what it is I want in my kitchen.

I can tell that this kitchen is CUSTOM, and it gives the feeling that there is a place for everything. It is understated, and one thing which gives it all away in a soft whisper, is the shallow shelves at the end of your sink cab.
That, and then your paper towel roll is absolutely in the right spot, above your DWasher, and those drain strips (runnels?) are right there too, making it possible to rinse your messier dishes before dousing them in the DWasher. I don't care how they say you don't need to prerinse, I do it because I hate to clean the drain in the DWasher. I do not believe in garbage disposals, they create a sludge which gunks up the water treatment plant in a city....and I'm sure they are not friendly to septic systems either. Plus, it is not friendly to 4 year old sink sleepers.....:)

It is always a pleasure to see what you've been up to lately, we always know you'll do something outstanding.

o

moccasinlanding, I love that you'll have beadboard and a cup rail like mine. Here's a close-up showing how everything fits together:
Photobucket
The shelf sits on top of, and is screwed into, the long support piece, and there's a screw that goes through the corbel into the shelf, toward the front. LOL, at this distance you can see the seam where the two corbel pieces are joined. Oh, well, it adds character ;). BTW, the corbels are cut on the same curve as the supports for the old school cabinet, across the room. They're 1.5" wide, compared to 3 inches on the school cabinets.

This pic is of the underside of the corner, with a scarf/miter joint. Each piece is cut on 45 degrees, then fitted together and nailed, making a stronger joint than a butted joint. It's actually backwards, because my miter saw 'reclines' in only one direction, and I didn't want to cut the angles by hand. One could also use a biscuit/slot to add strength.
Photobucket

Marti, I took a couple of pics for you, too. This is the support for the towel holder:
Photobucket
The corbels are attached to either side of the 'placket', which is screwed into studs. The window used to be wider, so there's an extra stud in that area. The corbels were then attached to the cabinets as described in my post above^^^.

The underside of a cabinet, showing how the corbel is attached--you can see the screw holes:
Photobucket

Hope this helps!

o

Great photos, thanks! Did you cut the corbels with a scroll saw after they were laminated together?

I think I'm going to have beadboard too, either that or a wider tongue & groove, but definitely a wood. I think. lol

o

Marti, since the curve is very gradual, I used a jigsaw with a thin blade. I cut out the two pieces separately, to cut the taller 'lip' on one side, then glued and screwed them together. After the glue dried I used a belt sander to smooth the seams (used the end of the sander on the curve), then hand-sanded. I made the corbels months ago while I was waiting for help with another project, before I learned to use the router. It would have been easier to use a profiling bit. I've also used the jigsaw to cut legs for the cabinets, out of scrap pieces of whiteboard.

Yay! One more beadboard kitchen!

o

All the hard work really shows the love you put into this kitchen - it's very beautiful. Congrats. Wish I had somewhere to put corbels in my kitchen.

o

MamaGoose, do you realize how very PROFESSIONAL you sound? You really have the technical terms down pat! Most impressive, and I bet you have not paused long enough to compare where you began versus your expertise today. But we notice. Where do you find all that Kickapoo Joy Juice?
You are a real life Rosie The Riveter, fast forward a generation. :)

There are so many informative shots in your thread, I will just have to keep the link to it. Please do not remove or move your photos or I'll be lost.

Have you thought about getting a local paper to come out and photograph some of your projects for their At Home pages? I'd say the stove hood would be a real winner. And you look good doing the job too. Get to blogging lady. You have a message to communicate.

o

I've thought before that if you had a blog, it would be a big hit. Something to think about mama goose. Some people actually make money with their blogs, although I'm not sure how they do it.

o

schoolhouse, Thank you. Can you find a small space or corner where a little shelf supported by corbels will fit? I love their old-fashioned look.

Kickapoo Joy Juice--
LOL, ML, I think the spectre of cooking another holiday dinner in a partially finished kitchen was the 'kick in the pants' that I needed! Our last Monthly Family Dinner was sans kitchen sink--do-able but not so much fun.

I remember early on, calling my father or my BIL, and pestering them with many, many questions. Bless them, they never made me feel like a dunce, and they're both proud of me now.

I'm really not interested in blogging (still have a guest room to finish), but if any GW'er would like to blog about my kitchen, please send me a PM. Thank you, ML and marti8a, for the votes of confidence. Everyone's encouragement has meant so much to me!

o

Ooooh yes, I'd love to feature you, not that I get many hits on my blog.

o

If I had a blog I'd put your projects on! bet many women (and some men) would love to see what you've done and read your instructions for it. I have no idea how to even make a blog!
marti - post link to your blog!

o

marti, I sent you an email. And I agree with steph--we need a link!

desertsteph, neither do I--I'd have to ask one of my kids!

o

hehehe...."have to ask one of my kids!" Mama, now that is a wise woman talking!

And Marti, it would be fantastic if you could maybe feature MamaGoose now and then who knows later on.....how about NancyinMich with her remake of the plain bookcases in her music room....provided she is willing?

I know there is a thread somewhere about all our "blogs" and websites, but it somehow got lost....when I have more time, I'll see about dredging it up from the past. We have a bunch of new folks dropping over and we might as well bring things current... InteriorStylist, and Caligal, and Ross and OGRose, and ......I'll have to refresh my mind in other threads, because the list is getting much much longer.

Marti, there are a lot of bloggers who feature projects of their friends. And you have a pretty blog.

o

Thank you ML. I've thought of asking Chris before if she would guest post with her mosaics. What do you think Chris?

The thing is, my blog isn't about one thing, like all about crafts, etc. It's anything and everything from projects I've done, recipes, jokes, weird things I see on the side of the road, and stories to my kids. So I don't get a lot of people who check in with me regularly.

It's The Next Fifty Years

o

Mama-G it all looks so wonderful. Love the narrow shelves and your faucet it so pretty. A new faucet is a must for me. I REALLY dislike the one we have. I am sure many people would enjoy reading a blog of your kitchen remodel.

o

Marti, do you remember the blog with the beadboard wallpaper? It is all about EVERYTHING as you describe. I think it is Southern Hospitality? It is as you describe your own blog. And I think maybe another Texas lady with her blog, COTE DE TEXAS. Very well thought of they are. Let me see if I can get you the link to that Southern Hospitality.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Hospitality blog

o

Yes, I've seen her blog. Great photos and well written. She covers different things, but it's still mostly home & garden type stuff. I treat myself to a pity party every once in a while; not something blogs with a large audience do. lol But mostly it's a way to let my family see with what we're doing, and now what the in-laws are doing.

o

WOW I want to learn how to use power tools !!!!
Love those salvaged cabinets the shallow cabinets too(I have shallow tall uppers(just 2) it's so much better than the deeper ones.and the old stove. GREAY JOB with counter ...
I want to raise my DW(love that idea) but I just realized that if I did that I would lose 24" of usable counter space...
Look at that photo, your'e a grandmother !!! your're so young!
Hey if you ever want to take a break and visit a city, come to NY ! I need help here :)

o

moccasinlanding, "have to ask one of my kids!" Mama, now that is a wise woman talking! It's a fact--my kids know more about the internet, than I ever will.

marti8a, I checked your blog, and read your bio. I love it! It's the perfect spot to feature my kitchen--you and I have so much in common. The ceiling trim still isn't up, but I'll be posting some progress pics. Chris' mosaics would be great--every time I click on her album I get lost in the pictures!

shades, thank you, I'm still thrilled with the faucet deal--I hope you can find one that makes you just as happy!

EATREALFOOD, thank you for the compliments and the invitation. Learning to use power tools is, well, empowering! :) I'm waaaay old enough to be a grandmother (27 when I had my first child)--the mask and eye protection must cover all the wrinkles!

Here's a picture of the sink cabinet with re-used doors from one of the former (now demolished) cabinets:
Photobucket

After using the sink for a few days (without caulk), I took the drain apart and pulled the sink forward 3/4", so that I could try using it with a cutting board resting on the back reveal and front edge:
Photobucket

With the cutting board:
Photobucket
I like it better this way, although I have to wipe the water off the back reveal. The cutting board is also convenient to use for stacking dishes, since I have only a narrow piece of countertop on the right side of the sink.

And, I finally decided that what was bothering me about the open shelves beside the fridge wasn't just the color--it was also the asymmetry. In my sketches, I had always colored that stack green, so I framed in the shelves, re-used a door from the former cabinets, and painted everything green. I really like it better, and I want to thank everyone again, for all the suggestions. I also repainted the Stardust yellow wall Adobe White. My DD2 wanted yellow, and I tried to love it, but I like the off-white better. Moccasinlanding, I think you suggested that the yellow was too close in color to the green cabinets, and you were right! (DD is in Colorado for a month or so--she hasn't seen the newly painted wall yet.) I left the inside of the opening yellow for now:
Photobucket

I changed the wing on the upper doors adjacent to the stove hood, to help visually separate the green and white cabinets. Going around the room:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Longer shot:
Photobucket

Other than the ceiling trim, I'm finished until I decide on flooring. I just want you all to know how much your encouragement, good wishes, and friendship have meant to me. Being able to post pictures and enjoy your comments has helped me to keep making progress. I'll be starting the dining room soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: for more pics, scroll backward

o

Mama_goose,
Thank you for sharing your story on this Thanksgiving weekend. I am so sorry for your loss, but am so inspired by your spirit. Obviously you are someone who coaxes and encourages inner beauty to shine--whether it's a tilted cabinet door, a flood-rusted stove, or a four-year-old hiding in a kitchen sink. Your home and family must love you well, as you, so obviously do, them.
Best wishes to you.
Maura

o

Oh Mama-Goose your kitchen turned out so pretty. An amazing transformation. You are one talented woman!!!

o

Maura/mgreenman, your words are well chosen, and express very well what I and others here have observed about MamaGoose. It is a brighter day when we get word that "Mama is in the KITCHEN." :)

o

mgreenman, thank you for your thoughtful words of encouragement.

shades, your talent and DIY projects have been an inspiration to me--so has your encouragement, especially in the early, bewildering times.

ML, thank you--you all certainly brighten my days. I've mentioned that I was fairly new to internet use when I found GW. I'm thankful that I finally learned to use the internet--it's been a wonderful resource.

o

You must be so happy with your new kitchen. WOW a lot of work went into this, BUT so worth it! I love the sink, and the re-purposed cabinetry! Beautiful kitchen!

o

mary_ruth, thank you, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I mentioned that I'd like to make curtains to hide the baking supplies in the glass cabinets. I did another budget blitz by using wooden dowels (Restore, 10 cents each) and a 6yd curtain panel from a clearance outlet ($5.00) Total: $5.80. It's a long, thin 'swaggy' type, in a silky, iridescent green--very close to the green cabinet color. Last year I used a small piece of the panel to make toss pillows for the window seats.

I use another of the $5.00 panels for a table cloth for large gatherings--it covers three 6ft long tables, with white sheets underneath for the drop. LOL, I'm getting my money's worth of that bargain!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I posted these on a thread in the Kitchens forum, along with the observation that I kinda miss seeing the jumble behind the glass. :[

o

Mama Goose- I agree with your daughter (on the kitchen forum) now all the big jars could be candy! LOL

Beautiful job and you find the best prices! Can you take me shopping? :)

o

Mama Goose, I love that look. You are making the most of that bargain.

o

lavender_lass, thank you! I would love to go shopping with you, and then we could take a break and have tea together. :) BTW, did you see my recent thread in the Antiques forum? I lucked into a wonderful deal on vintage silverplate flatware:
Vintage silverplate cutlery
I had no idea of the value until I started doing research and checking ebay!

marti, thank you! And I still have three unopened panels! BTW, I'm trying to decide on flooring--I haven't forgotten your blog.

Today I dragged the upper from the second old school cabinet into the middle of the LR floor. If possible, it's in worse shape than the first one, but at least now I know how it will look when finished. I plan to put it against the east wall in the DR--I'll start a new thread for that project.

o

Wow mama goose, you hit the gold mine silver mine!

I haven't forgotten either, and will email you as soon as I get some fires put out.

o

Mama_goose I love the curtains!!! You have the best of both worlds this way. So charming.Your kitchen turned out amazing. I also posted to your silverware thread.Looking to add to a partial set I have and love but never seem to find more of.:^(

o

I love the enameled bins, did you paint them yourself? And the antique stove next to the stairs--I love it there. What a great conversation piece.

o

Thank you, marti, I know you're a little busy right now! ;)

Shades, thank you, I like the curtains more each day. I'll email you about the silverplate.

lpalta, thank you--yes, I spray-painted the old pantry boxes and bread bins, as well as the lids on the glass jars. Our back door is directly across from the vintage stove--it's the first thing that one sees upon entering the house. It get lots of attention!

Well, it looks as if this thread is at its limit, so I'll start a new thread as I start work on the dining area of the kitchen. Thanks again for all your encouragement--you've helped me through the bad times, and I appreciate every one of you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here