Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Take a Color Test!

Nancy in Mich
12 years ago

Have you felt that you just do not "get" color when decorating your smaller home? Do you struggle to decide if something matches? I ran across a color perception test today that I found very interesting.

Give it a try and see how you do. It could explain EVERYTHING!

Here is a link that might be useful: Xrite hue test

Comments (31)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Nancy- Fun idea, but my monitor doesn't show the colors as being all that different. However, I could pick thread out for my grandmother (from looking at the fabric and walking across the store to grab the thread). I got pretty good at that, which used to give her a chuckle :)

• idie2live
    12 years ago

teeheehee! I scored 128 which proves that I have no color sense.

• Shades_of_idaho
    12 years ago

Interesting. My score was 53. Guess that is not all that good.

Shows lowest score for my age range was 0 and highest score was 1520. There did not look to be that much difference in the colors to me either until I started lining them up.

Fun Thanks

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I got 18. how weird it is - those colors are very, very close!

• joycedc
    12 years ago

That was fun. I scored 58, which isn't very good, but is better than 1520!

• idie2live
    12 years ago

I think the lower the score, the better you are! So low scores are good.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Hi, idie! Nice to see you posting again. :)

Thank you, nancy, this is really interesting. I scored a 26, but my perception was that I had them perfectly sorted!

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

I wonder if this test considers the monitor people are using and their graphics card?

• User
    12 years ago

I think I've seen this before, and it is interesting. I didn't do it this time because like LL, some of the colors in each row look exactly alike.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My guess is that the colors on the monitor do not matter as much as the definition of your video card. It is the relative difference between the colors that counts. So if your card does not have the capability of showing the subtle differences, you can't do the test. If your monitor is just off a bit with the color, it won't matter, because the relative difference between the colors is what matters.

Of course, this is only my guess, and I could be completely wrong.

Did anybody retake the test? Did your scores improve?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

didn't redo it. was a strain taking it once...
    I think I'm fairly blind so no idea how I managed 18!

• User
    12 years ago

Very interesting little test. I scored a 48.
    And most of my deficiencies came in the range of the blues.
    I wonder if that has anything to do with my lack of discriminating between blue hues, and that I really do not lIKE BLUE. Perhaps it is my vision that does not let me see much in that range?

Because at either end of the results, my results were all flatliners. It was the middle part of the results that had peaks.

• aa62579
    12 years ago

That was fun, but challenging.

Scored a 10!

• flgargoyle
    12 years ago

I scored a 237, which is not bad, considering I completely flunk regular color-blindness tests. I found it easier to arrange them as I got closer to having them right. At first glance, I couldn't even tell where to start! I only spent about a minute or so on it; I wonder if I could do better taking my time?

• aa62579
    12 years ago

I'd be scared to think what my husband would score on this test. He truly is color-blind. He got "fired" many times when we were trying to help my mother pick out the paint color for the house they are building.

It would drive me up the wall when he said the samples looked the same when I could clearly see different undertones and shade variations.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my GOSH! I have "perfect color vision"! I scored a O. Wait until I tell DH. I can always tell when something is off, and he thinks I am nuts. LOL!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

shelayne - that's awesome! you can pick all of our colors... lol!
    my problem came with the blues also - very interesting ML as blue is one of my least favorite colors. turquoise is a favorite and teal tho. my sister and I always disagree on these shades. she'll say something is green and I'll think it is more blue. If I think it is green, she'll think it's more blue.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great Shelayne! I had a 4 the first time, but when I took my time and went back over my arrangement to make sure I had it,I got a zero, too. I found it easy to tell that I placed something wrong once I had the colors lined up and just wanted to verify if I wanted to move a color or not.

I have a good color memory, as well. I can buy something to "go with" a fabric I do not have with me, and often it is perfect. Occasionally I am dead wrong, though. I do enjoy color. I wonder what I could have done with my life differently if I had known I had this good color sense earlier. I bet I would have a more creative job than being a Social Worker! lol!!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Yes, if I moved the colors, I could immediately see if there was more yellow or more blue to it. I was surprised when that message was at the top of the screen. Ha!

Nancy, I have good color memory as well and have been very fortunate when picking out things--especially clothes. But now I know why it took so long to pick out paint for our kitchen cabinets--it had to have just the right hue, and I could not get *that* color I was looking for, so I created it by mixing colors and having Sherwin Williams color match it.

Like I said, DH thought I was nuts. Shhhhhh, he may have a point. ;^)

• xantippe
    12 years ago

I got an 18, which did not satisfy me, but towards the end, I have to admit that I was rushing (dinner was ready!).

This was fun. Thanks for posting.

I am going to send the link to my friends and family!

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I got a 12. It showed my deficiency area as in the middle of the blue-green range. I ought to have DH do this.

• kitykat
    12 years ago

How fun!!! Saw this a few days ago but did not take the time to play. I scored an 18... resultant smile on face.

• User
    12 years ago

I couldn't remember if I took the test on this computer or my desk top, so I did the first section again, just for fun. Scored a 0 on that part so thought I'd go ahead & do the rest. Of course going back meant doing the first part over again, and the 2nd time I didn't get them all in order. lol

• peegee
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting this - it was fun - I got a 4!!!

• hlove
    12 years ago

That was fun! I got an 8. Definitely helpful in understanding why it takes me forever to choose a paint color...although I'm sure DH won't be impressed. :)

• User
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I wonder if this test was posted on the Home Decorating forum yet?

Where the mavens of color correctness hang out, I bet there are many of them who can score down there near perfect too. I think you have to be very patient and be able to SEE where there is a touch of green or yellow in a hint of a tint
    and ... I do not think I am that patient. I am OKAY, but I just don't see it all the time.

This has been a learning experience for me.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I never got around to posting it over thee, feel free to do so, ML.

I am still wondering what I would have done differently if I had known I had a talent like this when I was young. I have been seeing the opthalmologist every two weeks since I had the shingles, and on the last visit I asked him about the ability to distinguish hues. He said that this is something inborn, not learned.

• User
    12 years ago

I think that's where I first saw it ML.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Fun post, thanks! I scored 11 and I'm happy with that!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I got a 40 which is a so-so score. Funny thing, the test made my eyes ache.

Rosefolly

• KingsTable
    12 years ago

I scored a zero, too. I had to stop halfway through for a couple of minutes though. Staring at the screen made the colors start jumping around.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington