Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Window seat or armless settee?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I really want to have a window seat or settee on one long side of my oval dining table (when I remodel). While window seats are cute, I'm thinking a settee would be more comfortable...but the arms are always in the way. You can't slide in and out for seating.

Anyway, what about an armless settee? I found this one on the Internet. I'd change the upholstery, but what do you think of the idea? (Third picture down.)

Thank you and any other pictures or ideas would be great :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Armless settee

Comments (14)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I like it, and I've thought about something similar but dh is adamantly opposed. Sure would be a space saver though. My question is - where do you find one?

• emagineer
    13 years ago

The HD forum had a photo long ago of a window seat with a round table and two chairs. It was beautiful, they had upholstered all in a strong pattern. Was located in a corner of the room. As I recall the window seat was more of a slight round than straight across.

I love window seats, so my opinion is one sided. Would go that direction.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Oh I love it! One other thing to consider is that pedestal or trestle tables work much better with banquette or settee-type setups. You don't want to have to negotiate going around that leg every time you go in or out.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wi-sailorgirl, Great point! I've always thought tables with legs were awful pulled up to window seats, but you see it all the time. Pedestal tables are so much nicer and much easier on your knees :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I love window seats! However, a settee would be more versatile, if you need to rearrange furniture, and could be almost as cozy as a window seat. Here's a lovely example:

from the linked blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: stamptillucramp.blogspot

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mama goose- I can't get the settee blog to open. I'll check back, later.

Here's another idea, something in between a window seat and a settee. Much too fancy for my space (and I'd have windows behind it) but you get the idea :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining idea...Sarah Richardson

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

There is NO WAY I'd turn anyone in my family loose on that Sarah Richardson room!! Maybe if it was upholstered in oil cloth. I like the lines, though.

The 'Settee' link is to the pic I saved in an album. You can click on the bottom link--it's working for me. Scroll waaaaay down until you come to the 'Bachman's Idea House' section. That section is very interesting, if a little quirky--probably why it appealed to me. :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Here it is again

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I used to have this little couch in the kitchen as a settee and it was great. I have it in the living room now. The smaller low arms were not a problem at all for getting in and out from the table that is not there in the picture. LOL

We did have a table there when company would come.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small couch

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Lavender, a good option for a window seat is also what was once considered a "fainting couch". To me, it seems to be the perfect type of seating for in front of a window. To relax in, and look outside at the beautiful surroundings.

They can be a bit Victorian and stuffy, but oh well. They are still neat.

Some of them look similar to a settee, but a real/traditional fainting couch only has one side that is raised, and then one narrow side that is raised so that a lady could "faint" on it without hurting herself.

Link below is a "real" fainting couch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fainting Couch

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mama goose- I saw the settee, very nice. Thanks for the link :)

Shades- Great idea! The arms are so low, they wouldn't be in the way. Nice idea for extra seating.

Krycek- The fainting couch is great. Can you imagine two (mirror reverse) in a corner window, with an end table and maybe a palm? Then a round table, with a couple of extra chairs. Fancy!

Nancy- The banquette is amazing. I would love to have something large enough to seat three. That would be great, for large get togethers.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

mama goose, I agree with you. That dining room is gorgeous, but that blue velvet wouldn't look nice long in very many dining rooms.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH WOW Nancy. that banquet is GORGEOUS!!! Would not work here but I sure do love it.

Krycek that would make a perfect window seat.And LOL over the pint of ice cream.

Mama-goose I need to spend some time looking over this quirky house. Some really neat ideas. Love the re-purposing of so many items/ I used to have a book that told how to make furniture of newspaper. Not sure if I still have it. Was a fun read.

Dinner needs cooking. Hit and run post. Dang I am wanting to re-arrange our whole house again!!!

Chris

• User
    13 years ago

Marti sez, "mama goose, I agree with you. That dining room is gorgeous, but that blue velvet wouldn't look nice long in very many dining rooms."

Oh my, I have a disastrous story to tell about a velvet banquette and a tiny table in a French restaurant on their opening night in New Orleans.

Can you guess what happened when I, wearing a long pinwale corduroy shirtwaist dress sat down and tried to slide on the velvet? Catching the tablecloth in the process? And it was the first date of my reunion with my now-DH after 50 years? Ahhhhh it was a memorable event. Stemware went everywhere. Mostly on the floor.

So I do not ever plan to have velvet anywhere that involves a dining table. :)