Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Anyone downsized to senior living community?

TxMarti
15 years ago

There is a complex being built in my town and my in-laws are interested. So far, there is no information except a sign on the lot, so I don't know if it's even what they want. We were going to build a house for all of us, but if they do this, everything changes.

Do you know how much kitchen and other space is generally in these apartments?

Comments (4)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

My parents are living in a very nice patio home in a retirement community. The two bedrooms and bathrooms are very nice and roomy. The living room/dining room space is plenty big enough and there is a lovely small sun room off the living room. There is a small breakfast area off the kitchen - but, the kitchen is way too small in my opinion. My mom seems to function just fine in it, but if there are two people in there, it turns into a "one-butt" kitchen.

I could happily live in this space otherwise, but even if it was just me by myself I would want a larger kitchen. My mom cooks everyday from scratch and they do not go out often.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My mil cooks a lot too. Is there a dining hall or anything in your parent's community? My in-laws actually acted excited to hear this was being built because they would rather live in a place with people their age if they have to leave all their friends behind. And we will be close enough to visit every day or two.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Yes, there is a dining hall on the campus. They meet their court neighbors there once or twice a month to eat dinner as a group. They visit with their court neighbors back and forth almost daily. There are maybe 10 patio homes in their court. My dad goes every other Friday to a memory center to "work" and mom is able to continue with her regular bridge group on those days. This community is in the same area where they have lived for the past 50 years, so they know lots of seniors living there.

The community has independent living condos and houses, apartments, assisted living apts. and nursing care to provide care at each stage of retirement living. It is the Twin Lakes Community just outside Burlington, NC.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Twin Lakes

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think my in-laws would like a patio home better than an apartment too. My fil has a hearing problem and listens to the tv so loud it's hard to be in the same room with him. If that was a shared wall with another apartment, they might not be too happy with fil.

I wish they could find something closer to home, but they want to be close to us too. A lot of their friends are moving to a city about 70 miles from their little town, and they have talked about that too. That would be fine as long as they can both care for themselves, but fil has Parkinsons, and I don't know what the future will be like.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler