Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Would you use buffet lamps on bedside tables?

TxMarti
15 years ago

Currently we have normal fat ginger jar type lamps on the tables, but I have a couple of buffet lamps with typical little lampshade. But they are really too short to read by, and I thought the height of the buffet table would work better, plus they would take up less room on the table.

What do you think? Are buffet lamps only for the buffet?

Comments (10)

• johnmari
    15 years ago

IMO a lamp is a lamp, pretty much - if they work size-wise (especially height) and fit your decor, go for it. I found buffet lamps to be too tall for our nightstands so we got a lot of glare from the bulbs, and it was hard to reach the switch without streeeeeetching. If you don't already have the buffet lamps, stack your existing lamps up on some books or boxes to the same height as an average buffet lamp would be, and see if you get glare in your favorite reading position.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*slapping my forehead* That is so practical JohnMarie! Why didn't I think of that?!!!

I do have the lamps, but they have the little shades. I was going to find a bigger shade for one & try it, but I like your idea better. Thanks!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

The main thing is, do the lamps provide enough wattage for reading?

Teresa, who does have her bedside lamp sitting on a pile of books!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't have enough good solid book handy, so I put it on a jewelry box & it works great!

Teresa, did you raise both lamps or just the one on the side of the bed for reading?

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Marti,
    It's just me in the bed at present, so I just have one lamp on "my" side. There is a quilt rack in the corner by the other side of the bed.

Teresa

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish I could get rid of the table on the other side too Teresa but it holds a clock, and it looked funny to me without a lamp, so it has a matching lamp. I would much rather have that lamp in another room where it could be used instead of just being a place holder.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Is there some "law" of decorating holding that lamp in place, Marti? LOL! I promise you "Martha" is not going to raid your house and give you a citation if you move that lamp. What about a tall container of silk or dried flowers or a live plant to replace the lamp but still give the bulk that was the lamp?

Guess I'm too practical to think that everything has to be matchy matchy.

Teresa

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's been there so long that dh would probably squawk if it were gone. He does turn it on every once in awhile but I unplugged it one time & it was a couple of weeks before he noticed. And this is terrible but I like the bulk of it because it keeps dh from piling more stuff onto his table. Flowers, even fake, are out because of dh's allergies. When we build our next house, I am going to have wall lamps and very small tables next to the bed. So for now, it's all about getting this place ready to sell.

• barneycastle
    5 years ago

I used a couple of Ralph Lauren buffet lamps with larger shades. I also needed the height to read, and they look great.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm