Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

OT- Does anyone else still like fairy tales?

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Many of you know I love cottages, have deer wandering through my garden (but leaving most of the plants alone) and even have a 'fairy garden' :)

It looks like I'm not the only one, who still likes fairy tales. Anyone planning to watch "Once Upon A Time" tonight, on ABC? I saw the clip on the Yahoo homepage and it looks promising. Of course, who am I to turn down a chance to watch another version of Snow White and the Evil Queen? It is a classic! LOL

Comments (18)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

When the kids were young, we taped The Tenth Kingdom mini-series, and watched it sooooooo many times that I almost knew it by heart. Once Upon a Time sounds as if it's an updated version.

I really like Shrek. :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Tenth Kingdom...I remember hearing about that, but I never saw it. Now I have something else to watch this winter, if the episodes are online.

Shrek is cute...my nephew loves it! :)

Kind of off topic, but here are a few pictures of my garden, since I mentioned it earlier. No house pictures, because I've been spending all of my time outside! LOL

A picture of a little rose, still blooming in October. {{gwi:316314}}From Lavender's Garden

The birdbath being 'guarded by one of the barn kitties. {{gwi:759374}}From Lavender's Garden

Close up of kitty :) {{gwi:759377}}From Lavender's Garden

And a picture from the fairy garden, looking at the kitchen garden, full of fruits, flowers and veggies. The roses and herbs are in the fairy garden :) {{gwi:759371}}From Lavender's Garden

Another shot of the kitchen garden, which is being expanded this year...so it's kind of 'under construction'. The white pot is where my birdbath or sundial is going...depending on what I can find. This picture is taken from behind the new bench. {{gwi:763845}}From Lavender's Garden

A better shot of the bench. The little bells are so cute and have a soft, low tone. {{gwi:763844}}From Lavender's Garden

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

I love fairy tales and collect different translations in English and French. I wish I read German too then my collection would be even larger - like I need more books around here. Donkey Skin is one of my favorites, though I like Snow White too. Have you seen the movie version with Sigorney Weaver - it's a fun kind of scary.

I just finished watching the new ABC Once Upon a Time - it was great. All of the parts are in place, so now I await the unfolding of the plot. I just hope ABC doesn't cancel it.

• User
    12 years ago

I love the old fairy tales too. Actually, I discovered that you can get MOST of the good ones for FREE for the Kindle thru Amazon, and that is true even if you install the Kindle app to your smartphone or your computer. Free beats .99 also. The only problem with the free versions is, they are good for reading aloud to your kiddies or grandkiddies, but not as picture books. I also got Black Beauty for free, and the Just So Stories (Kipling), and I am going crazy reading these days. Like a mad dog in a meat factory.

Just got my computer back around noon, and been busy getting it back like I like it. Browser is Firefox 4 not 7. They had upgraded to 7 and it does not support my Norton Identity Safe, so I yanked it out. :)

I bet ya didn't even know I was gone, did ya?

• Nancy in Mich
    12 years ago

Noticed, and missed you every moment. Actually, those sentence fragments were so uncharacteristic, it is good to have you expounding again!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ae2ga- Glad you liked it! I haven't read Donkey Skin.

ML- So glad to see you back! I agree with Nancy, we all missed you :)

If you missed the show, I believe there's episodes online. Here's a trailer, if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trailer for Once Upon A Time

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, is there anything more romantic, than the Prince kissing Snow White and telling her, he will always find her? :)

I like the song, too. Also, if the trailers seem a bit confusing, the pretty blond gal, is the baby the Prince is protecting from the bad guys in black. They've been frozen in time for 28 years and now she's come to save them...although she doesn't believe it, at first.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trailer with Prince Charming

• Nancy in Mich
    12 years ago

LL, sorry, didn't mean to ignore you.

Pretty garden! No fairy tales here, I was more into Greek Mythology. I guess that makes the little stream in my front garden the River Styx...

So, how was the show Lavender Lass? I saw an ad for it and thought it might be cute. It was NOT up DH's alley, though, so I took a pass. If it was good, maybe I will look it up.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My husband didn't want to watch it either (thank goodness for 2 TVs LOL) but I thought it was great! I love fairy tales :)

Thanks for the nice words about the garden. Not much blooming any more, so it's nice to see the few flowers that are left. Especially this late in the season.

Do you have a picture of your 'River Styx'? :)

• Nancy in Mich
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, no. I have a little pebble-bottomed stream bed that goes from the downspout under the Japanese Maple, through the flower bed, to the lawn. It suffers from neglect. I looked at by pbase album and am ashamed to say that the garden looked better when the pictures were taken than they did this year. Two years of no energy or time left over for the garden have taken their toll. Plus, this spring, when one's fancy turns to gardens, I was being told I would have to dig mine up! Maybe next year.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy- Post an older picture...I don't care. I just want to see your garden :)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I used to love fairy tales, but haven't actually watched one in years. I missed the trailer for that one or I might have watched it.

Ae2ga, I collect old books of fairy tales too and I do have one in German, not that I can read it. I bought it for the pictures and cover, and because the friend who owned it needed the money.

• Nancy in Mich
    12 years ago

Okay, but some o these plants have died, some are SMALLER due to neglect.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden, spring 2010

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Nancy, your yard is so perfect! The bleeding heart is (or was) gorgeous.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy- Your garden is so pretty! I wish you knew the name of that plant with the little white flowers. That would be perfect in the fairy garden :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the show, if anyone wants to see it. I think you'll really like it...once you get past the 30 second commercial :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Once Upon A Time

• Nancy in Mich
    12 years ago

LL, I thought it was an Oakleaf Hydrangia, but the leaves look all wrong. Next time I am out there, I will look for a tag. It MAY still be on the plant.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone ended up watching the show. Last Sunday was the season finale and it was wonderful! Everything came together and it looks like a great second season for this fall :)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm