Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Building permit obtained, demo starts Monday

User
9 years ago

Yes, that just about says it all.
The contractor got it Thursday I think.
The demo will start Monday, when two guys show up to take down the 10x12 wood deck.

I'll be salvaging the 2x2 vertical wood parts to use for pot feet on my big flower pots. And, the 2x6 boards which are also treated wood, will come in handy for raised flower bed edging. Save me some money there too.

So let the games begin! Whoopeeeeee!!!!

Comments (29)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

BRAVO!!! take pics of the demo! we wanna see it!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very good, Steph. I'll try to get some today before it starts in the morning. Actually, I pulled off the 2x2 verticals today and moved them out of the way. And, I'm taking up the bricks of the bbq grill pad, about 300 of those, to save for the new patio area which DH and I will put down around the new natural gas grill....which I've already had installed by the gas company when they did our tankless outdoor gas w/heater. Want pics of that too? I'll go get some as soon as I recover from my morning of hauling bricks!

For good measure, I took the bird cage outdoors and washed it, gave my parrot a bath, because with the deck off we won't be going out the back anymore until it is DONE....

Although Bobby (he is the contractor) said they'd start with demo of the deck, that means the old back porch is coming off after that. We enclosed the back porch to hold the stacking laundry unit and the sidebyside fridge with a loose cab either side of it. So my fridge and my laundry are going to be displaced next....what we will do I haven't a clue yet, but it will be worked out. If I were doing it, I'd knock out part of the kitchen wall so we could move the fridge into the dining room at least....w/o taking the doors off of it.

I'm looking forward to having the floors all the same level, because that back porch is about 4 inches lower than the rest of the house, and it is a pain to move things, and I hurt my instep when I misstep going across the threshold. And then, where will everything go when they are ready to put down the Bellawood Select Ash flooring throughout the house? The master closet, the sun porch, and the bathrooms are all that will keep their porcelain tile floors. I guess I could squeeze a good bit into those spaces. Just keep a clear path to the john and the shower.

I must go pick up an exercise pen for the two doxies, since they will be very disturbed by not having free run of the back yard during the project. And, I'm watering my garden today, since I don't know when nor how long the water will be off. I have bottled water for drinking, so that is no problem.

Can you tell I'm excited? I have my notepad where I'm making notations to remind Bobby about the things he cannot tell from the working plans.

Over the course of the last 2 and more years, I've prepurchased a lot of items to use. Like the 3 "dark sky" outdoor lights for the back deck. Two round big cloud ceiling lights for the kitchen--one in old part, one in new part. Two wall sconces that are frosted white with the light going UP, they are half moon shaped, and I'm putting them in the living room instead of a ceiling fixture. A large ceiling fan to match the one in the dining room is going into the living room. Ceiling huggers. I also purchased 4 kitchen swing arm wall sconces that I can use for task lighting, they are stainless, think I have pictures of them somewhere to show. Two for wet side, 2 for cooking side.

I have to get out there and sand my cypress door, or at least get it cleaned up better than it is, once Bobby shows me which one he prefers to use. I have two of them, one is really thick, the other one is only 1 3/4" thick.

Since the new deck won't be 36" above the ground, there is no need for a railing at all, but I'm having 4x4 posts anyway, and then galvanized pipe rail at the top. No in-fill required. However, that will allow me room to hang flower pots around the gaps between the posts. The shower will be near the door into my bedroom, and easy to step inside. The shower pan is to be fabricated of galvanized metal, the controls inside the new exterior wall, and I have the tiles for facing the house wall, 12x12 with some 2x2 set on 12x12 to go at the spots where the pipes come through the wall, and I already had enough bullnose edgers from the walk in closet and master bath project. I never returned those for credit, which is a good thing.

I also have a new set of attic steps, the pull down kind, which will replace the set falling apart on us, since they will be building a new closet in the hall anyway, and this should be a lot better. The closet will replace the old doorway to the master bedroom. They'll put a hole in the wall through to the dining room, and then I can have all the electronics for a wall hung large TV in the dining room, but the router, the printer, the cable box, hidden in this closet. I forget what size TV we have, flat panel, Vizio, but we don't need a huge one with the room only 12 foot wide. I will be able to see it while I'm in the kitchen, dining, or living room. It is a full swivel mount.

I just pulled the old gas logs out of the fireplace, they are disgusting. So old, and I believe they were dangerous. I might find a small electric fireplace unit, but was thinking about just filling the fireplace with short logs like a pile of stovewood. It is a toy fireplace anyway. Too small for any meaningful heat, and the hearth is only a foot deep, so it would tend to burn the wood floors. I won't feature it but will essentially IGNORE the dang thing, It just messes up the furniture arrangement, which will be difficult enough without the new entry that I had to cut from the plans because of budget constraints.

Well, it is time for me to get back outdoors with the brick moving.

Oh yes. A note for folks building a deck. Our old deck was basically put together with nails. Some had shanks, but I think just put in with a nail gun. Where DH did some repairs and used screws, you can tell. I could not get those 2x2s off. But the nailed one came off quite easily. This is to give you a heads up if you live in tornado country, since those winds would pull it apart like tiddly winks. but not so with the screws. Same for building docks, subject to wave action. Water is quite a powerful force. I saw a whole dock, with long pilings, pulled right out of the bottom intact, by a storm surge, and it was clean as if a dentist had extracted a tooth. It was put together with screws, and bolts. Did not come apart at all.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

ML - I had to post quick that you are so energetic! I wish I had just a smidgeon of that energy! I struggle to do a few things a day - certainly not including moving brick!

I think it's great that you are saving what you can to reuse - I'm the same way. I also envy you the outdoor shower.

yes, show pics of all you can. I thought about how weird this sounds... but we are weird! Then I remembered that I sit in front of the TV and watch demo on shows about people I certainly don't know. This is more like partaking in the demo of a friend!

I am just so excited for you! will post more later.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I'm glad to hear that the flooring will be all one level. That 4" would cause me major problems. I'd fall down and up it!

I hope the deck isn't high enough for the pups to fall off and get hurt. Would they fall off? They'll be in a pickle for a time but they'll be ok and before they know it back running around the whole yard!

wow - you've even thought to get a new stairs for the attic! great move to get it done now while you have workers there to do it. The 'dark sky' lights sound great too. I think I've heard of them and wish everyone had to have them. Too many people have moved out here and think they need outside lights all night long...my stars are fading (can't be my eyes, can it? lol). I've thought about getting a telescope for yrs now, maybe I need to work on that this next yr. or 'dark sky' glasses if there is such a thing.

yes, post your light fixtures/sconces too. would love to see what you chose.

tiddly winks - haven't heard of those in yrs - maybe decades! do they still make/sell them? do kids today have them?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steph, my neighbor across the street, maybe 200 feet away, has these powerful spotlights aimed right at our house windows, and it lights up the entire back yard too. Plus, there is a streetlight beside our driveway, and another one beside the drive of the peeping tom neighbor next door. I really resent it, because it also interferes with the lightning bugs coming to the garden. I know industrial lights are probably necessary, but not so with individuals. It is against city code to have lights shining on your neighbors, but when I mentioned it to her, she just stared at me.

Anyway, the demo began yesterday, and it was slow going. The stucco on the side of the enclosed porch was put on with square wire mesh, the big stuff, and it just about did not want to come down. I think the wood could have totally rotted away, and it would not have fallen, it was so sturdy. I uploaded some photos of the deck going down, and the rot on the wood floor of that porch, where it had once been screened in and water damage occurred. The washer was out there, so was the water heater until I had it changed. Now we have a tankless exterior water heater mounted on the side of the house fairly close to the gas meter. I like it, but for the kitchen I'm having a booster 3 gallon electric tank heater put beneath the sink near the dishwasher. DH wants to have HIS dishes STERILIZED.

They found some issues with old plumbing, as I'd told them they would, and a hidden plug that was in the wall covered up and it was LIVE, could not find which breaker it was on. So, all the inside power to my phone, router, computer, such as that, was out for a while. Mercy, the old wiring was terribly eaten up, no insulation left on it. Except for what DH ran new for our washer/dryer and the new fridge with a separate breaker. Now all the electrical will be reworked to be 3 or 4 wire, don't know the difference, and upgraded to 200 amp service. I want to keep the major appliances on separate circuits, I'm tired of illogical parts of the house being off when a totally unrelated item is being worked on.

Putting things in my Teahouse is a pain right now, what with DH having that GASOLINE generator in there. I told him he must build it a separate dog house outside for it, because I'm NOT keeping gasoline in there. One spark with fumes and I go up in a puff of smoke along with my parrot and my paints and so forth.

I had an issue this morning with DH telling the contractor that HE was going to do the baseboards, to take it off the project. I was spitting cotton about that, because at almost 82 he cannot get on his knees to do that work, and I refuse to live in a construction zone for the next two years when I can have it done and enjoy a completed job. He said in the beginning that it was ALL MY PROJECT AND HE WAS NOT GOING TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I emphasize that, because now all of a sudden he changed his mind. Yeah, right. After he said NO IKEA CABINETS, he tells me SOLID WOOD CUSTOM because our house is not modern construction. So the cab estimate comes in, and I accept the total, but he wants to talk about THAT tonight. I said you can talk all you want, I've given you what you asked for, but I get what I want in the kitchen. I told the contractor privately, I get along with the cab guy James, and intend to use him. I like his work. Also, about the baseboards, leave them in the estimate and if DH does not have them done in a timely fashion (before flooring goes down), then the contractor will finish the work. I'm thinking that the way he buggered up the floor of the master closet and the master bath (raised them about 1.5 inches higher than existing hardwoods) that they will be requiring a marble threshold and so we must wait to see what level the floors come in....in case they must put plywood on top of the old floors to raise them to a better height. Steph, I know about hurting the feet on these various levels of floors. It won't work for someone in a wheelchair or with a walker, or otherwise disabled. Nor will it work with birdcages!

Well, we had no water today, and sometimes no power. It is night now, after dinner. DH and I had a heart to heart. He backed off about the cabinets, but wanted to take out the exterior painting of the new stucco. It has to season 3 months anyway, so we'll take that out. Then, I guess he will paint that. Hopefully not getting it all over the new deck and the new windows and shower. He still wants to do the baseboards, and says after the flooring is down he'll add those. I reminded him he hasn't done the baseboards he wanted on the sunporch, they've sat there in my way for over a year now, no effort to add them. So, the whole project won't look finished until he adds the stupid baseboards. With all of that, he just took off $3000 from the total estimate. And we won't be finished when the contractor is done. I hate that, since he can barely walk anyway, much less act like a human being to anyone around him. He will be 82 in February, for Pete sake, what part of GIVE IT A REST does he not understand? I am way put out about this, as you can tell. I wonder if it will be 6 years before he does the work, which is what it took him to do his house in MA.

Here is the before (almost).

In process.

and where it stands tonight. They are bringing in heavy equipment to take it down tomorrow so they can pour the new 4-sided foundation....it doesn't want to come down.

and then here I was with the kitchen and dining room taking the removed objects....except the washer/dryer combo, which they dropped on the way to the Teahouse with it.

I see what they mean about a remodel leading to DIVORCES. :)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"the old wiring was terribly eaten up, no insulation left on it"

it's a good thing they finally got to it before a tragedy happened! The new appliances do often take higher amps? Where older stoves could operate on 120, newer ones need 240? whatever. I needed a higher whatever for my stove and it isn't even new. So good to have that wiring done and be safe!

Could you give dh a time line - like 3 months to finish baseboards or the contractor's guy comes back? painting outside too. Goodness gracious at 82 he has no bz up on a ladder! Tell him you just love him too much to have something happen to him - that you want it done so the 2 of you can just spend time together enjoying it all! Maybe that'll sweet talk him. Could have just been a bad day.

He IS used to doing a lot of that stuff, isn't he? then it's not easy for them to let go of it. I know it bugs the heck out of me that I can't do things I used to do so easily! such a bummer. I'm finally giving up trying on so many things. it's not worth the pain and 3 or more days down hardly able to move.

Sadly here my handy guy broke his ankle about 5 wks ago. he had 2 surgeries on it. Don't know how long before he can come back to do things here.

about the neighbors flood lights... does she live alone? have anyone to help her? maybe she doesn't have a clue what to do to change the position of the lights? My neighbor across the road had 1 aimed right at me when they moved in. I went over and told him he needed to change it. It took awhile but he finally did. I really don't think he realized that every time a car went down the road the light came on.

I have flood lights on 3 corners of the house but I only use the back 1 plus light at the doorway when I take the dog out at night. Otherwise they're off. Unless the dog hears some weird noise at night...or I do. That happened once or twice. I think the one time it was just something blown against the outside in a really bad wind storm we had.

I hate to say it but my kitchen looks a lot like yours (nothing to do with cabs etc) and I'm not even remodeling... oh dear!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Loving your photos on the progress. I think the hardest part for me getting our kitchen cabinets re-done was having to move out of them except for the things we used every day and most of that was in boxes in the dinning room. I could still use the stove and counters but when they would come back to do some more work everything had to be off the counters. It was so hard.

Everything seems to happen so fast I could hardly get out of their way.

I think Steph has a good idea about telling DH you are just too worried about him hurting himself and would rather pay some one to do the base boards and painting so you two can have more time together enjoying things.

Time for me to get back to work here myself. Racing to get the yard chores done before winter strikes.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I think your DH is having trouble admitting this is more than he can do...now. I'm sure it's difficult for him to admit he can't do what he once thought very easy. My DH is having some of the same problems, although he is progressing very well with his therapy.

My advice...tell him you want the contractor to do the baseboards. It's your project and you want it done now. The whole point of this remodel was to get it done, so you could both enjoy it.

Then, put on something very pretty and tell him it's much more important to keep his strength up for other activities...that only he can do :)

Full disclosure...this was a VERY hot topic, on the kitchen forum last year! LOL

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lassie, you are so right! I feel his pain, but I also want what I want when I want it. He feels that I am being critical of him when I mention he cannot get down on his knees and do the work. I watch him wearing knee pads to brace his knees even to walk, and I see him fall because he cannot stand up, It alarms me to think how quickly he is failing healthwise. He says he will DO IT, DON'T NAG. Yet, the kitchen faucet was messed up, for over a year he did not repair it. So I did it last week. He wanted me to reuse that one in the remodel, and I said IF IT CAN BE FIXED....which sent him into a foaming-at-the-mouth rage....and that's when I fixed it. It is a good faucet, a Moen single hole with pullout sprayer, and I would get another one just like it anyway, so they just must salvage that one for reuse. I also have a new sink waiting to go in, undermount no holes at all, 30 inch.

What I'm trying to do is tippy toe around his ego and his desire to maintain control of everything. He knows that the cost went up when he said NO IKEA but WOODEN CABS FOR SURE. And now that we have them, I might can save some by reusing the RevAShelf roll outs instead of having wooden drawers built. I told him that we could reuse two of them existing now, but actually that would not be worth the trouble. I'd just as soon leave those installed in the old cabs and move those into my Teahouse as is....without tops for now. I need a cutting table for fabric that is fairly wide, could put a top on it. Yep, I think I'll leave them installed as they are.

I reminded him that the estimate includes stuff besides kitchen cabs. Like the wall tracks for book shelving in living room, master bedroom. Like the window seat in dining room, a bar with support brackets, and brackets plus shelf for the toaster oven shelf. What I want for the space is furniture leg look, and that was part of my IKEA plan that I refuse to give up. I've prepurchased all the lighting as well. I'm about to repaint the bedroom, dining room, living room before any work moves to inside the house...at least paint over the old color and add new color where no work will impact it.

All he is removing from the estimate was less than $3000. I don't think it is worth it if he is debilitated by the work, and is unable to perform. There is that word which is so touchy for so many men.....PERFORM....it is like they fall into a prickly pear cactus when it is mentioned. For a man who won't go to the doctor to find out what is wrong healthwise, the consequences are frightening for the spouse. Not just me, but I'm sure that any spouse would feel troubled. If he had the stamina and strength of even TWO years ago, when he was completing his home in MA finally after six years of married life put it on the market to sell, it would be different...I'd say go ahead. BUT, he has gone downhill so quickly, it is not a viable plan.

Can you tell my thinking is distracted here? I keep going in circles..Bless you, Lass, I know you understand what I'm thinking.

And Steph, I'll address your response tomorrow. I'm just so .. what shall I say....distraught?....I even locked my keys in the car at the post office today, thank God I had my phone and wallet with insurance card in my pocket. I had to call for Road Side Assistance to come open the car for me. I was having a "sugar low" and was shaky and could not think clearly, it took them 30 minutes to arrive, which was good. And while I was writing down my info and signing the form, he had the door already open and asked me to start it up...in case the security system thought something fishy was going on. Oh boy, I was so relieved the keys were not LOST. I had my hands full and left my purse in the car, had attached keys to the straps, instead of to the belt loop on my shorts. Oops.....it's been a long time since I've done something that inconvenient and I regard it as a sign of distraction caused by stress. Setting myself up to be a loser.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

ML- You need to take a deep breath and let this stress go. It's a house. I know you've been looking forward to this for some time, but it won't mean a thing if you're not around to enjoy it!

You sound like me...you take on too much and keep thinking you'll just deal with it. Then, I know I need to stop, take a break, do some yoga breathing and just let it go.

All this chaos really makes me re-evaluate what is important. What is the most important thing in your life? For me...husband and me/our happiness, my family, our animals, our friends (what few we have left...people don't like illness and tend to disappear, but you treasure the ones you have left) and then home, career, money, etc.

So...while I know you want to enjoy the process and you could if someone would take one big step backwards, the reality is we are married to stubborn men. That determination and refusal to give up is probably one reason we married them, but... :)

As for health worries, tell him he HAS to go to the doctor. Not that seeing a doctor is any guarantee, but if he loves you...he needs to go. It's not fair to hold another person hostage, by refusing to live. Existing is not enough and not what any of us signed up for, right?

You know, I think I've been watching Frozen too much with the nieces and nephews (LOL) but there's a lot of truth to "let it go" and "existing is not enough, you have to live".

Good luck with the remodel and the other stuff. And know that we all wish we could get together, have tea and enjoy your beautiful home with you!

Here is a link that might be useful: This might help :)

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 23:52

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"he has gone downhill so quickly, it is not a viable plan. "

oh dear ML, I'm sorry to hear that! It probably scares him too - for himself AND you. And he's afraid to talk about it hoping it'll change back. I gotta tell ya it really bugs me that I can't do some of the simpler things I used to do. My hands will shake now so much of anything that needs detail I can't do - not even usually a screwdriver. Imagine trying to screw something in while your hand is shaking! Can't even keep the driver in the screw head. (it's better with the power one). I figure if I'm like this now, what will I be like in 10 yrs? yikes!

your dh is thinking back to redoing the other house and wondering what happened to him... he wants his old self back! Bless his heart - and yours.

"I've done something that inconvenient and I regard it as a sign of distraction caused by stress. Setting myself up to be a loser. "

now you sound like me... I do some really stupid or strange things and then wonder 'what WAS I thinking'. My brain doesn't seem to always follow thru with a thought process... oops. It takes an 'off ramp' somewhere... too much whirling around in my head and my 'processor' has slowed down.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steph, I learned years ago what the "danger signs" were for me, that I was going down the slippery slope, shooting myself in the foot as it were.

First sign was I "misplace" my car keys, my wallet, my checkbook, things like that. I lock myself out of the house or the car. I miss paying a bill on time. I leave the water running and flood the house. I leave groceries in the store parking lot. If I catch myself doing any one of those things, it is time for me to exercise diligent attention to what I'm doing, and thus break out of the pattern. Truthfully, it's been a while since I've done any of them. So locking my keys in the car while away from home gives me a heads up. PAY ATTENTION.

You probably have your own personal yardstick for things which signal the start of a losing streak. I'd be interested in hearing any that I might need to add to my personal signal list. But for now, those are the major signals for me.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

OH Dang Barbara. What should be a joyful occasion with the remodel finally happening is becoming so much more stressful. Remodels are always stressful but I see you have added stress to your plate. :'( And I think the stress will add to the blood sugar issue some.

I totally get the forgetting things and also try to pay even more attention to the little things some times even speaking out loud things like unplugged coffee pot. Locked door. Stove is off. Then I have a routine walk through checking things. I know this is a sign of OCD but I need to do it to help me to stay calm. It is like"NOW I KNOW all of this is done" I can let that go from my brain. HA my biggest issue right now is standing there waiting for some thing to cook and I have not even turned the stove on. sigh.

Too bad DH could not take this chance to go visit his kids or friends for a month or two. Would be so much easier for both of you and the workers too. Can you send up smoke signals to one of the kids to call and suddenly need his help or presence.

Hang in there and know you always have us to blow off steam with. I so feel for you.

And LL I know how it is when Friends suddenly disappear when some one is ill. It was needed when Joe was on chemo and when he first came home from the hospital so debilitated, 14 months ago. Now he is doing well and they still rarely come around. Except for the three very best friends So I guess if we can say we have three very good friends through thick and thin we are doing well.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Shades- That's exactly it! You find out who your real friends are (the few that are left) and stop wasting time on the 'fair weather' ones. Now, I understand that term. We are looking at houses near one of my husband's true friends. He lives in a small town and we hope things work out to move there.

Even if we could stay here...I don't know that we should. His family has NEVER come out (even once) to help with anything. Very sad, disappointing...and total BS, because it's their family farm. I have to ask myself, why am I working so hard to keep their farm? I love the land, but if no one ever plans to help, it's more than I can do by myself.

ML- You and Steph need to cut yourselves some slack. Yes, it's good to know you need to take a break and slow down...but everyone forgets things. Everyone gets distracted and does things without thinking. And everyone can't do what they once did, as they get older.

Instead, let's do this...let's have tea today! It's Thursday and I say we need a break. If anyone wants to do this, I'll post on the Conversation side of the forum :)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

LL - I don't usually stress over things I can't find unless it's the remote... or house key and I'm locked out. All most did that this past yr - BUT I've learned to hide a key outside. That's also for Jed 'cause there were times I wouldn't be back from errands when he was coming over to work. The remote - well, last major time I couldn't find it that was because it was in my LEFT HAND!!! for pete's sake!

I've done things like miss my drive way... and there are times I seem to be walking to my left - even tho I don't mean to or want to. when that happens I have to really focus on where my feet go...(my sister does this also).

I also keep an extra set of car keys in my purse (in a zippered inner pocket) in case I do lock my usual set in the car. I seldom get out of the car w/o my purse. Tho maybe I should wear as a necklace... lol!

I do lose days. Like it'll be Wed and then it's Friday and I don't know what happened to Thurs... A few wks back I woke up early and watched Joey and Rory on RFDTV (music). I usually fall back asleep cause they're on at 5 am... when I wake up again it's around 8 and it's dark out - I'd slept the WHOLE day - and it was 8pm! I also didn't (still don't) understand what was wrong with pupperoni - no trips outside, no food, no cookies... but she was right here on the bed with me. I think they know when something is wrong... She did that wks back when I was sick and mostly sleeping (tossing/turning) for several days. Hopefully I got her out at least 2x a day... no messes inside so she did good!

I go to the doctor tomorrow so I'll see what he says - and how blood tests come out. may not know tests results til next wk.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a drawing overlaid using the Snipping Tool, to show the portion of the old stucco coming down and the walls coming down. Above the cutouts will remain a "header" for showing the remnants of the old house.

Right now the crew is trying to level up the framing where the crew which laid the blocks Sunday (they were hung over I said at the time, not surprised they did not get it level) gave it a slant downhill just by about 1 inch I think. The level of the new addition MUST match the existing floors, since new flooring awaits the entire house. Heaven knows, I've kept about 1300 sq feet of Bellawood air conditioned for over TWO YEARS, waiting for this moment to arrive, I don't plan on anyone screwing up that part of the job now.

Beyond this new portion with new blocks, there will be a wooden deck with new materials. It will have steps as shown, be 8 ft d x about 24 ft w x about 28 inches high, same height as the house. Outdoor shower will be installed in the new back wall on right side of the deck,

Any questions?

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

ML - awesome! (ok, strange to say about a house w/siding torn off, block w/o floor/walls/roof on it and a bunch of black lines on it - lol!) but it IS progress and signs of what is to come.
    Will the left have a regular door or sliding/French door on it? I forget...
    that will be a good sized deck on the back. I can easily visualize it because my LR/DR is 26' front to back and about 15' wide. It'll be a good amount of space for sitting out to view the gardens, birds and pups - and eat out. You have pretty good weather for the most part don't you? I think much like here - we have about 4 months that aren't real good for 'sitting outside' (you'd burn here) but the rest of the yr is mostly awesome outside.

can't wait to see more. crack a whip and tell those guys to hustle, hustle, hustle!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steph, the portion to be built over the new cement block foundation will be an extension to the kitchen on the left and a new sitting space for the master on the right. The deck will be only 8 feet deep, and will come almost to that grill. I drew the black lines to show what would come OUT to create openings to join the two spaces together.

They are almost done framing in the back wall of the new addition, which will be almost all 24 x 72 inch tall glass low-e double panes and 2 glass doors, one to the bedroom (beside my outdoor shower) and the other from the kitchen which will be the REAL "back door." Maybe I can get a shot of it with my phone to show you....hang on...be right back....

Start from the left on the back wall...
    1. solid wall
    2. short window with doggy door below (small dogs)
    3. 36" wide glass back door swings in with knob on right, hinges on left
    4 -6. Series of 3 windows 24 x 72 tall non opening
    7. skinny little solid area where a wall between kitchen and bed/sitting room goes closed off by a surface mounted barn door
    8 - 10 Series of 3 windows 24 x 72 tall non opening
    11 36: wide glass door with knob on left, hinges on right, also swings in
    11 solid wall which will hold plumbing for outdoor shower on the deck.
    The side walls at both ends of this addition (not the deck now) will have no windows. End on LEFT will have washer/dryer stacking unit, a pantry and laundry hamper, the fridge, and one 18" wide cab tall, built in cab also above fridge so all will look like a solid wall. Nothing fancy.

So far I think it will look about as good as I hoped. Haven't run across anything which makes me uneasy.

I haven't had time to mark up this photo, but if it will help, I'll mark it up with the Snipping tool again. I cannot write with my right (mouse) hand though. I uploaded some uninteresting photos of the dirty stages so far.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, Steph, I marked the photo and here it is

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

thx ML. good to see the framing going up! bet you're loving that.

I think your appls/cabs in there will be wonderful - right by kit / access to bdrm (for laundry). Extra storage space too. I think you'll love your sitting area - even with just 2 of you there, it's good to have space for quiet/alone time when needed. Also in case you DO get an overnight guest you'll still have a sitting space.

I did see the dotted line showing the deck area on the prev pic but these pics w/ the numbers and list are wonderful. so many nice windows and glass doors - you'll really be able to look out there at your garden area and Thouse!

tell the guys I said 'thx' for getting that framing up - lol!

btw, on the FP - I also have a gas one I won't use. I'd be afraid of gas - and afraid I'd burn the place down. BUT, on qvc yesterday the TSV was a duroflame 'woodbox' - that doesn't hold real wood but it's the inner box with flame - it's electric and a heater! To put inside of an unusable FP. I love the idea. It was a 100.00 or so. I'm gonna think about it down the road if I manage to get boxes out of my LR area and furniture in it. I usually only need some extra heat at night during a few months in the winter. I have a FP heater (moveable) in my bdrm. It has a remote and is great for the wee hrs when it does get cold in here. No need to heat all the other rooms. Seldom gets below 30 here.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Today a little more demo happened. You know the vent on the top of the gable of a house? Well, the vent part was taken out to be reused in the new end gable. Then they started with the original stucco wall beneath it, and I went out to see what was happening in time to see them looking in puzzlement at the bare minimum of that cement stucco their sledges had managed to remove....and that wasn't much. Aha! I thought they would need to take enough out to let a man walk inside the attic to access this area....they couldn't crawl through a triangular hole at waist height, now could they! So the wire was exposed, the wire reinforcement inside every wall in this house, making it hard to get wireless reception, phone or TV signals through these walls. Thus my love for lots of windows, and lots of openings to nature.
    I got a couple of pictures of the process but only from ground level.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

OH WOW it is coming along. Were you hoping for storage in this new attic area? I guess the strong wire wrap around the house gives one a sense of some security in a hurricane.

I get it how the outside wires in the stucco would be a problem for wireless. Is it in the inside walls too? Even in our manufactured home the wireless signal is so much less in the master bedroom only 40 foot from the router. Looking into the booster routers that just plug into a regular socket.

So different to see a roof truss with 2 by 4's. We have to be 2 y 6's or 8's here because of the minimum 85 pound per SQ FT snow load.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting us in on the process. I love these add-on tours. I always learn something new. In this instance, I would have never noticed the 2x4's likes Shades. How long do they think it will take to finish the process?

Three thing to ease the strain of a remodel: paper plates, plastic forks/spoons and plastic cups. Lifesavers.

• valerie427
    9 years ago

Looks like great progress over the last two or so weeks! Can't wait to see the final product!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shades, the timbers for the framing are 2x6 and then some are larger. When they were doing the verticals, they were 2x6 also. I see some 2x4s on the ground waiting to be used, but do not know where they are being used. I believe even the "eyebrow" pieces which will cover the back doors and all the windows in between (using metal roofing on that part) are 2x6 as well.
    I'll pay closer attention to it when I go out.

They are working hard to get it closed up to weather before it rains. I see a stack of plywood for the roof deck, ready to go, but they must get in all the work while they can stand up and move freely up high. When it is closed in, and the windows/doors are installed, they'll open up the interior walls for demolition.

The lead carpenter framed in the doorway to take my 83" tall old cypress door, and will add more blocking at the top to handle the heavy hardware for that. I must scrape off the old paint and get the rustic look I want. I mean, it is very old and I want to keep it looking old. I might just oil it, with mineral oil and beeswax. It would be very warm looking.

Yesterday I removed all my RevAShelf cabinet inserts that I want to use in the new cabs, cleaned them up, removed all the cab doors, took out a 15" wide cab that I will salvage for the Teahouse. I'll have two now, and put a top on them for fabric cutting and such as that. I'm thinking something must have wheels on it, or I'll be breaking my back when I get an urge to MOVE FURNITURE....which will happen sooner or later, knowing me!

Trying to plan ahead, and remove as much unnecessary items now before the crew squeezes us into the living room and sun porch and front bedroom. We'll have to access the small bath with the shower, most things from the bedroom will be moved into the walkin closet and master bath. I'm already doing laundry at the laundromat twice a week. Oh yes, I also removed the door jambs and framing (??) so the fridge can once again be moved further into the house, like maybe the living room where there is a 3-prong plug. DH does not like his routine messed up, but I already have him down to 1 chair--his desk chair on wheels--for dining table as well. Chairs take up so much space. I don't know what we would have done if it were not for the Teahouse being so roomy for storage. It is PACKED FULL, and will only have wiggle room when the flooring begins to be laid.

Speaking of flooring, I noticed the old KITCHEN FLOOR has hardwood beneath a 1/4" sheet of plywood and then about 2 layers of linoleum or sheet vinyl, and then DH's sticky back tiles. All that must come up and hopefully it won't damage the original hardwood too much in the process. I tried to take some up yesterday, but it was beyond my ability or my tools were inadequate. "Back in the day" I could have demolished with the best of them though. :)

My sleep schedule is greatly disturbed by having to arise soon after daylight. The dogs must be fed and given a run out to the back yard, by way of the front door. Then the crew arrives about 6:30 to maybe 6:45 I barely made it inside before they arrived last two days. It takes me a while to fall asleep, since I am imagining what I must do to keep ahead of the work. It is great to see the building process and finally know the sequence of work. Watching it come together is interesting. Adding the closet in the hall (utility type) will be a godsend for ugly stuff like the vacuum and bulk supplies, as well as a couple of shelves to hold electronics and WIRING for the DVD. router, all sorts of chargers on a shelf. By having the WiFi router in this spot, it's signal should reach the entire house, every room.

Valerie, I've stocked up on paper plates. Keeping the soup bowls close to hand though. Perhaps plastic hot/cold cups are something to remember next shopping day.

I go out each evening after the crew leaves and use the magnet to pick up nails. And I take pictures then. However, they've worked for almost 3 hours now this morning, trying to cover the roof before rain begins, so the picture below I took from my bedroom window--the one which will come out along with much of that back wall to join the old with the new.

And, the contractor says it will be finished near the end of the year. Not too bad, actually. Based on weather of course. We usually have a wet winter, so closing it to the weather is a top priority right now. Then the inside demo can be done without making mud pies.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

After I showed Joe he corrected me too on the 2 by 4's. He said too far to span and they must be 2 by 6's. Sorry. i could tell the uprights were 2 by 6.

It is a whole lot of work trying to stay ahead of a remodel. I had this in our kitchen resurface and the thing that cracked me up the most is the guy doing the work would tell me I will be working in this area and I would clear it then he would get here with a change of plans. Hahaha It almost got to be a joke. Finally I just cleared all of it out and had needed supplies on a couple trays I could move in or out.

Love the pictures. It is all starting to come together nicely. I am sure it is going to be wonderful. The end of the year is not that far off.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Everything is moving so quickly...at least from my view! So excited to see your project progress from one stage to the next. While it's obviously a disruptive process, it looks like a lot of fun, too. Just keep thinking how wonderful it will be to have it all completed :)

• valerie427
    9 years ago

And now that you bring up the dog.... well that's something I really haven't factored in when I think of upgrades myself, but so important to keep them on a routine (I'm not sure what I would do since I'm gone to work all day, so if I ever did something really invasive, I would have to consider how to handle the dog). I'll cross that bridge if/when I ever come to it.

I can't wait to see the expanded kitchen especially (are you adding an island?).

Cheers

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was expecting to add an exercise pen for the doggy girls, but I think in you case, being gone all day to work, one of those smaller kennels (covered top and probably lockable) would be more secure. Unless you dog is a confirmed DIGGER. :) Plus, factor in the weather conditions at that time of year.

Not an island. I will have a peninsula which is at right angles to the cooking side of the kitchen. One end of it is across the aisle/walkway from the fridge, and a couple of steps from the sink and dishwasher.

I have a rolling cart that I use as an island. In a previous kitchen, I had one on wheels (it drowned in Katrina) that stayed in the middle of the kitchen, which had no walking path through the main kitchen. That kitchen was 11 x 17, and when I remodeled it, it cost me $5,000 for the changes...I'd moved existing cabinets around myself and got kind of inspired by scotch one night and took the sawzall to a wall and opened it up....best thing I ever did, very courageous I thought. Then the contractor came in and I gave him the money to tidy things up for me. I loved that kitchen, even hung the track lighting myself, with the help of a painter's extension handle to jam the long track to the ceiling while I screwed in/mounted the other end. It is amazing what you can do from necessity.

I'll have enough room to park this rolling cart out of the way beside the back door. It can even be pressed into service to roll out the goodies when we eat on the back deck. I'll be so happy to have floors the same level with no steps down between rooms or to the deck.

This kitchen as it is measures almost 8' and almost 12 feet with the 2 doorways straight across one end, making only a U-shape kitchen possible. And no room for the fridge nor the range in the U because the room is so narrow. Hence, the fridge was put on the back porch (with washer/dryer) and the open porch was enclosed to the weather.

When the remodel is done, the dimensions will be 17 1/2feet front to back, and existing section remains almost 12 wide and the new section will be 15 1/2 wide (almost 16). I think of it as a galley shaped kitchen with a T-peninsula at the far end.
    By having a peninsula at one end and a short 48 inch bar at the other end (of the cooking side), I secure the cooking side from all traffic. I mean, in a house with two elderly residents, that is not much traffic to worry about. Even if one of us winds up with a walker, a wheelchair, or a scooter!
    Features in this kitchen are a combination of my likes from previous kitchens I've lived in before. I know they work for the way I use the kitchen, the way I get my chores done.

Also figure that the dining room will be carrying part of the kitchen load, with cabinets at either end of a window seat. The 39 x 39 table will be pulled up to the window seat. The wall shared by dining and kitchen will be removed to visually increase the sense of space....I say that will be the effect, and surely the dining room is badly underutilized in a small home, a room needing to serve multi functions for sure. So beneath the window seat will be two lateral file drawers to keep such files as we don't access every day but need to keep.....including appliance manuals. I have a full tilting wall mount for a 32 inch flat TV and it will be located opposite the window seat with a buffet beneath it. A hole in the wall will allow the wires and DVD/router etc to go on a shelf in the closet backed up to that TV location. I hate spaghetti wires.

Well, the doxie girl wants to go to bed, so I must head that way with her. Buena noche

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA