Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncledave_ct

Finally downsizing, hooray!

uncledave_ct
9 years ago

I'd like to say that I'm joining the ranks of the Smaller Home Society, but the truth is I never lived in any home that was 2000sf or larger. The current house is 1968sf, which is technically not "big" although it is big for just 2 people.

We bought our current home when our son was small, with hopes of expanding the family. However, my wife passed away, leaving just me & the kid in this 4-bedroom house. Plus we bought at the market peak in early '07, so the mortgage is even bigger, and much harder on the budget with only one income. Fortunately I finally have an opportunity to break even, so I'm off to greener and more manageable pastures. :)

The new place will be closer to family and shopping, cheaper to heat and maintain, and hundreds of dollars less each month. It is 1200sf with no basement or garage, but has a huge attic, large shed and utility room so storage should not be a problem. Just the right amount of space for me & my son plus a home office.

If all goes well, I'll be buying us a house for the holidays. Woo-hoo!

Comments (8)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

bravo! welcome to small homes. so sorry about your wife.

This should be a great move for you and your son. Less to spend out, less upkeep, closer to family etc. that = less stress and more time. Sounds like a real winner.

keep us posted. Post pic of new home - or even prospects you are looking at.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Sounds like a great move for you and your son. Saving money and time! Looking forward to pictures and updates.

I'm very sorry about your wife. Your son is lucky to have a level headed dad like you. You'll be happy in your new abode, I'm sure.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Welcome. 1200 sounds like a perfect size with the added storage you will have. So sorry about your wife. Glad you can break even and make the move. Always happy to have folks in visiting about their houses.

Chris

• uncledave_ct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I hope to take tons of pics during the home inspection. This is exciting, I know I won't be able to relax until I have the keys in hand!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

OH we LOVE pictures!!! OF EVERYTHING!! I know the feeling of that wait for the keys. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

• User
    9 years ago

Welcome to the Smaller Homes Society, UncleDave!
    Looks like there is about to be a rebirth or a renewal of energy and commitment to the SHForum, and I for one am so glad. It will be so nice to have some new homes to explore, since we've just about remodelled or demolished or repurposed so many of existing forum members' dwellings over the years. And I don't see anyone volunteering to move--except perhaps LavenderLass, who has moved in her head without lifting a packed up box physically! Now I think she is gonna hitch up the horses and drag everything down the road to a stable with room in the inn for herself and the DH. Hopefully by Christmas, eh?

It's taken years for me to get the house remodel begun, which was the topic of years of conversations on this forum. And then there is MushCreek, which is Jay's home such a labor of love done by himself, we've been hanging with him and his wife as they discussed and planned for their move from Florida to the hills of NC. Plus Marti8 in Texas and Steph in the wide open desert, I could name many more, who are all in and out, including Shades from Idaho, they are closer to me than most of my real neighbors. Goodness knows I've spent more time with them!

Simpatico is a good word to use for the folks you meet on this forum. We even have some from the New England area, in case you think no one will understand the issues you encounter up that way. I'm assuming you will remain in that area when you move? For a few years I had the pleasure of living in a small town in Massachusetts, and discovered the differences in gardening there and in south Alabama, plus finally had to deal with wintertime issues so alien to life in a subtropical climate. I sent my "Nanuck of The North" heavy coat to family still up there just this week, in fact.

Enjoy the forum. Welcome to you and your young son.

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

Welcome.

My DH and I recently moved from 2,000 square feet to about 1,150 in our main house plus about 400 in the converted garage (now laundry/dogs/DH's office). Some things seem a bit tight (master bath is ca. 1960 small) but we don't truly "need" any more than this. And the house truly feels "right".

Here's to your new, simpler life.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Welcome Uncle Dave. My condolences on the loss of your wife. Being close to family is great. I wish I could have lived near my family when my children were young. Have you got a contract on your current house or are you just beginning the process?

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms