Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_gardener54

Small House Designers

young-gardener
13 years ago

Who are your favorites? I have only found a few firms that offer a wide(ish) selection of plans under 2000 sqft.

Allison Ramsey

Moser Design Group

Ross Chapin

Lew Oliver

Are there others?

Comments (13)

• rafor
    13 years ago

Owned a Ross Chapin design in Vancouver. Loved it!

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I get aggravated by a lot of house designs out on the web, whether they be for small or large houses, because the vast majority of them have the dining area in between the kitchen and family room/great room whatever they want to call it. Having to walk around a big dining room table to get to the kitchen from the living room and vice versa to me is a deal breaker.

Yet it's almost always like that. Is there something I'm missing? Is this appealing in some way?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Krycek- Would you prefer the dining room in the front, with a kitchen/family room in the back? This would keep the table out of the way. Put a little parlor/library in the front, opposite the dining room, and you have a nice, traditional style.

I like a separate living room and a big country kitchen, but that fits my farmhouse. I can only move so many walls. LOL

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rafor- How lovely! I like his Songbird plan. I'd love to see his homes in person.

Krycek- I understand your frustration. DH and I have been looking at plans for 2 years now. I've noticed that there are really only a few basic designs available online. Everything else is a variation on the theme.

Lavender- I've always been smitten with the idea of a country kitchen. I bet yours is lovely!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Young- Thank you, but it's all in my head. I've been working on this remodel for a long time, but I'm going to need more money before I can actually start. While we've put some money into the old farmhouse, it's going to take a lot more, before I'd actually move in. I'm hoping if I get the plan just right in my head, the money will magically appear :)

My grandfather always said, if you can really picture something in your mind, you're much more likely to achieve it...so here's hoping! I also entered Publisher's Clearing House, just in case. (LOL)

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lavender-- I'll cross my fingers for you. I know the frustration of having a dream all set and not stumbling into the cash quite yet. We've been in our fixer upper for just shy of four years. If we could, there's so much more we'd opt to do.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I had a terrible time finding a suitable design, and eventually went to my own design, which is still a work-in-progress. I wanted a house about 1000-1200 sq ft, but not a 3 bedroom. I wanted a luxurious 1 or 2 bedroom home instead. We also have a beautiful view out the back, and it's hard to find designs that address that. I had some luck looking at waterfront homes, since the view is usually in the back when you live on the water. If nothing else, I know that our house will be unique!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

krycek, I got around the table problem by not having a table as we never use one. I really like this set up..

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: No Table in dinning room

• rafor
    13 years ago

krycek: in my small (900 sq ft) cottage the kitchen had an island and the living room was on the other side of the island. There was a dining alcove at one end of the kitchen. Basically it was a great room if you can call it that in such a small house! See pics 4, 5 and 6 in the link and that should give you some idea of the look.

Here is a link that might be useful: my cottage

• traybob
    13 years ago

I really like robinson house plans.

Here is a link that might be useful: robinson house plans

• young-gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

fl- I think the plan you came up with is lovely. I love cross gable homes and can't wait to see it completed.

Thanks for sharing RHP, traybob. I'm going to check it out.

rafor- What a lovely home you had! Thanks for letting us take a look.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Rafor...love your little cottage and the things you have done to it. Amazing how small can be so wonderful. Thanks for posting pics.

• traybob
    13 years ago

Oh I almost forgot, I really like the bungalow company house plans, there are a few of there houses here on Whidbey island (where I live). They have all the character that I think a cottage should have. http://www.thebungalowcompany.com/ I also stumbled upon this site the other day, http://www.homepatterns.com/. Hope that helps.

Sponsored