Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heating room for food storage

Posted by erin_mama (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 11:12

I am going to steal space from my garage for food storage. My 3 kitchen cupboards just aren't cutting it!

We have a detached garage with a small room (7x9) that was used as a workshop. It has a door and appears to be insulated. I want to use it to store canned food and dry goods. The garage is unheated, and all I really want to do is keep this small room above freezing.

First of all-do I need to keep the temperature above freezing, or is this a figment of my imagination? If so, is there a space heater that is energy efficient and safe to use for this purpose? Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heating room for food storage

Yes above freezing is very important, and possibly above ~ 45-50 F, as contents could be affected (separation, etc.) by drastic drops. I'd be more worried about what gas fumes would do to my dry goods though.

o

Ah... Thanks Lucy. I didn't think about that. Maybe just the canned food, then.

o

You could add more insulation to the room so a small electric heater would keep the temp you want without running all the time. Another consideration is the humidity level. You don't want your dry good to "cake" or the lids on the canned food to rust. But sounds as if this shouldn't be too big a project. Tom

o

My first thought was adding insulation due to change in temps both winter and summer. An unattended heater would worry me. Although there are heating "mats" for workshops, etc. which could be used. Also heating strips which are safe.

The Greenhouse forum may have some ideas for you. They have many suggestions for managing temp changes and most of their buildings are totally without insulation. There must be some safe and suitable heating options on their forum which might work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here