Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

CNN article/video on tiny homes

More on Tumbleweed (ie really tiny) sized houses:

Here is a link that might be useful: article/video link

Comments (7)

• lucy
    15 years ago

But where do they put their STUFF?? I mean I can see it (and think the concept is great) if you're very young with no stuff, or if you also have lots of sheds, no winter clothes or hobby equipment, but other than that....??

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I think the point is that they think you don't need so much stuff. I'd also have a problem with this, but then some of the larger tumbleweed houses have a whole loft for just storage, not sleeping.

• columbiasc
    15 years ago

I have been captivated by small homes for a long time. However, I think that homes like these are really more experiments or studies in minimalism. Yes a few people have "lived" this way for extended periods of time. But seriously, even if you went in with an iPod and a laptop with all paperwork like bills and banking online you still don't have enough space to be practical. I've personally pared down my wardrobe and still can not put my pants, shirts, suit jackets(3)and winter jackets(2)and shoes(4 pair)into one 1950's closet. If I did, everything would be squashed and wrinkled.

The kitchens are so small all you could really do is warm up food, not really cook.

If you have to turn to rented storage or a storage shed to store sporting equipment, luggage, etc. you really haven't accomplished anything because you still need walls, a floor and a roof to store those items I mentioned, which I believe everyone can agree are not exactly luxuries.

Bottom line, they are sort of like those homes of the future Disney used to feature in some of their exhibits. Interesting but not truly practical.

With that being said, I agree that too many people are living in spaces far too large for their needs and own way too much "stuff". But, practicality kicks in somewhere and 100sf is a bit small.

What I would really like to see are more real world examples of attractively designed homes around 500sf to 900sf sited on adequate lots in neighborhoods designed to accomodate such homes. Here in Columbia, the City made one attempt at a "smaller" home neighborhood and it appears to be a flop. The houses are ugly, the neighborhood layout is absolutely awful, the site lines have you looking right into adjacent homes. And, they are expensive. I'll try to take some photos and post them.

~Scott~

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

There is a tiny house next door. I have no idea the actual size. I finally have a day off tomorrow. I will see if I can measure and get a pitcure of it. I was told the two sisters of the man that owned the second house on the property lived in this tiny house for many years.It is pretty ramshackle now but still sort of cute with it's sagging curtain on the front door. I would love to go into it some day.

I think as small houses go our house is on the extravagant end of a smaller house. For us it is perfect even with a little maybe wasted space. I could get rid of some figurines and just things. But they are here now and I enjoy seeing them or using on a daily basis. I will always be a collector even though I do not know why. I try not to.

Chris

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

As I once said in another thread- that's not living, that's camping out! There is probably a huge number of people living in other parts of the world living under far worse conditions, but they tend to be in tropical areas, where you can spend much of your time outdoors. They probably can't read, or if they can, they can't afford books. Their clothes consist largely of what's on their backs, and it's the same weather year-round- warm.

I know people with Master closets that are bigger than 150 sq ft. I've been thinking a lot lately about smaller homes as we plan our build in SC. Our current plan is about 1200 sq ft, with a full basement the same size. As our equity in our current home dwindles, I'm re-thinking that, and may go down to 800 sq ft, if I can keep the basement. Our first house was that size (without a basement) and it was adequate. We nearly have enough cash on hand to build a small, simple house without selling our current house, and that may be the path we have to take. If we can't sell our FL home, we'll simply rent it out until (if) things improve. We'll certainly save money by living in a small (but not tiny) home.

• che1sea
    15 years ago

Here is a list of some small living articles.
    We are currently working on decided where the line between small and too small is for us and 2 kids. Right now it seems to be around 1100 sq feet.
    My sister on the other hand can envision having kids in 400. Obviously she has never had kids :)

Here is a link that might be useful: small house/katrina cottage articles

• johnmari
    15 years ago

FWIW, a good friend of DH's has a 6yo in an about-450sf apartment in a large apartment complex - no yard either, nowhere to kick the kid out ;-) to get him out from underfoot. Of course, the apartment is also a perpetual disaster area, between her stuff and the kid's stuff, but kiddo also has a VERY indulgent grandma who gets him a lot of toys and such.

I grew up in tiny trailers and spent my teen years sharing a

Sponsored