Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chair rail, paint color, help!

Posted by joneyjmw (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 10:01

Hello,were getting ready to move in to and remodel a small doublwide manufactured home. My son picked out a red bamboo for his flooring, and im having some trouble working with it. Its not wood stained red, its dyed red, RED. Its a small room, and I'm trying to make it appear larger. Right now I'm thinking about matching the red from the floor and take it part way up the wall and add a chair rail and then do cream or something light on the top. The room has a slanted celing if that makes a difference. Oppinions please, my husband is tired of me talking about it....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chair rail, paint color, help!

Can you post a picture? Also you might post this in home decor thread...lots of helpful people there.

o

this is the room now, were just in the beginning stages. and i cant find a picture of what i want it to look like, google images is no help here.
I'll post this on the other forum, i;m new here, so I'm only about 25% sure of what i'm doing.
Thanks

o

joneyjmw, are you putting the same flooring throughout the house?

I know this isn't what you asked, but if your son really wants red in his room, I'd go with a rug, curtains, or bedspread - something that can be easily changed out when he or you get tired of the color.

To answer your question, I think if you put red floor and red halfway up the walls, it will look even smaller. To make it look larger, go with a lighter color on the walls.

o

marti8a, no the red is not going through out, the rest of the house will be a darker wood. When we went with my dad (my contractor) they (my son,6, and his Grandpa) fell in love with the red wood and bought it on the spot, and I'm stuck with it... Hes instisting on either red or matalic gold on his walls, I think I'll be vetoing all his future design ideas ;)
and thanks, I'll go back to the drawing board on my plans.

o

the red floor he picked out

o

wow-that is (orange)red ! Is it darker in person ? Sometimes the flash changes colors on screen
I suggest bringing a sample to your local benjamin*moore shop and looking for a paint that will complement it. No way would I put that on the walls. As marti said it will really make the room look smaller. Also in a few years when you want to rip it out you'll have less to deal with :)
You could do a cool painting on it-like a stenciled rug. I'm going to look for ideas...

o

no its not really darker in person... this is pretty accurate. Yay for grandpa! On the bright side, since they picked it out, he paid for it :)
and i get to figure out what to do with it... I know that I will not be allowed to paint a stencil on the floor, but that is a great idea. there was some talk about making some of the boards look like train tracks, but that was changed, and we also talked about a train mural on the wall. The jurys still out on that one...

o

I think a "clifford the big red dog" needs to be somewhere in the room--maybe painted on the wall ! I like the train track idea. Have your Dad build a bed that looks like a train car...
When you are finished post it here first !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here