Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Gallery wrapped canvas prints

jamie81
11 years ago

Just wondering if any of you have tried this before. I have some photos from my garden that I would like to display. I was thinking of having several of them printed on canvas and hanging them in our bedroom.

There are so many online sources for this, its a bit overwhelming. Have any of you tried this with your photos? Can you recommend any sites? Good, bad results??

Its not cheap, so any guidance is appreciated. Thanks

Comments (17)

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

My friend used to do this kind of printing and the pictures looked really nice. I do know it is expensive.

• carpecattus
    11 years ago

I've taken advantage of several deals in the past year through things like Groupon and Living Social - the two companies that offered the deals were Canvas on Demand and Canvas Pop, and the deals were 16" x 20" canvas wrapped over 1 1/2" wood frames for about $35.00 each. Both websites were easy to navigate, and I was very happy with the quality of the canvas prints, with one caveat - because the prints are wrapped around the wood stretcher frame, the edges of the prints basically disappear. Not a big deal for most photos, but in one of the photos I had a tree on the far edge that framed the scene; this tree ended up on the side of the frame, so looking straight on at the picture it disappeared. (I ended up removing that canvas from the stretcher frame, mounting it on a piece of foam core and cropping the whole thing to fit in a ready made frame, making sure the tree was now visible. In the end I liked it better in a frame.)

Both of these websites were set up to let me know immediately if the photo I uploaded wasn't a high enough resolution to still look good when enlarged. The last two photos I had done about a month ago - turn around time was only a couple of weeks, and they were well packaged. The "gallery wrapped" canvases definitely have a casual feel since they are made to be hung without a frame, something to keep in mind depending on your decorating style.

• carpecattus
    11 years ago

I've taken advantage of several deals in the past year through things like Groupon and Living Social - the two companies that offered the deals were Canvas on Demand and Canvas Pop, and the deals were 16" x 20" canvas wrapped over 1 1/2" wood frames for about $35.00 each. Both websites were easy to navigate, and I was very happy with the quality of the canvas prints, with one caveat - because the prints are wrapped around the wood stretcher frame, the edges of the prints basically disappear. Not a big deal for most photos, but in one of the photos I had a tree on the far edge that framed the scene; this tree ended up on the side of the frame, so looking straight on at the picture it disappeared. (I ended up removing that canvas from the stretcher frame, mounting it on a piece of foam core and cropping the whole thing to fit in a ready made frame, making sure the tree was now visible. In the end I liked it better in a frame.)

Both of these websites were set up to let me know immediately if the photo I uploaded wasn't a high enough resolution to still look good when enlarged. The last two photos I had done about a month ago - turn around time was only a couple of weeks, and they were well packaged. The "gallery wrapped" canvases definitely have a casual feel since they are made to be hung without a frame, something to keep in mind depending on your decorating style.

• oneblueonebrown
    11 years ago

I have also bought Groupons for Canvas on Demand and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. The website is easy to use and production/shipping time was very reasonable. I believe you can select a solid border around the sides to eliminate losing the picture in the wrapping.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see what I can come up with. I had never heard about Canvas on Demand.

• User
    11 years ago

There is another source of the photos turned into canvas works of art. I've used them in the past, and they are very reasonable. Forget the exact cost, but I gave them as gifts.
    My daughter-in-law is an excellent photographer, and I had two of her pictures turned into canvas art.

The link is below.
    www.art.com/photostoart

Here is a link that might be useful: Art.com photos to art

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

I made my own:
    Canvas from craft store $14 for 8
    Print photos
    Modpodge $5

They hang next to my purchased canvas and look the same.

The mod lodge gives a painted brush texture but the photo shows through beautifully.

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

houseofsticks, can you explain just this works to get the same results as your purchased canvases? I'm totally challenged on how it would be done...

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

Sure Ogrose,
    Supplies:
    MODpodge
    paint brush
    photo or photo paper and printer
    gallery stretched canvas from craft store
    heavy book for a weighted press

So easy, just paint the canvas black -don't forget the sides as these will be visable and give the finished look.
    Allow dry time.
    Paint the canvas front with Modpodge and place photo. I use a popsicle stick for an even placement. Put a hardcover (heavy) book on the inside of the canvas for a bubble free finish.
    Allow dry time.

Optional-but I like the finish, paint the photo with Modpodge and again, allow for drying time.

I gave these out to grandparents and family for gifts. We have a professionally done one next to the one I did and everyone always says, "Oh, I want more of these too, but they are so expensive..." Mine hangs at 7' high and no one can tell it's my work.

If you want a custom size just use an exacto knife on the sides after you place the print/photo (before final finish coat)

I also use industrial velcro to hang as they are light and that way I don't put holes in my logs (log home).

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Thank you! That looks like something I could do! Does this work with regular photos or do you use printer copies of the photos?

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

I've used both. The printer copies are only as good as your printer/computer/camera capabilities. I do use photo paper. They often run free 8"X10" coupons on my favorite website for coupons. It's southernsavers. Also, check for coupons on the website for the hobby store you pick up the canvas and modpodge-many have 40-50% off single items. My cost for all 8 was $20+ printing the photos (ink and my photo paper):)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• daz25
    11 years ago

I can recommend Inspiring Imagery, they did a great job with mine, it was so easy to do as well, just upload your photo and choose your size etc and job done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiring Imagery

• new_home1024
    11 years ago

I've made my own as well following the instructions on the link below. It was surprisingly easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Canvas

• bubblefruit
    11 years ago

Hi I had some canvas prints made for my family last Christmas they made a great and original gift too. A photographer friend recommended a business that did this for me as he said Tesco and most high street products are cheap and substandard. I wanted them to be be well made and last. i used Giclee trade printing they also give trade prices to joe public too. Not sure if they ship to the US but great for UK. Friendly too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digitalmoods

• juliapeter001
    10 years ago

Canvas Prints is usually constructed from paper prints about Specialized Photograph Papers bonded on top of museum excellent canvas, or maybe Art work Prints produced right on top of the canvas stuff Masters WA

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.masterswa.com

• PRO
    Canvas Champ
    4 years ago

If you're looking for cheapest canvas prints online with excellent quality then i will suggest you to go with CanvasChamp. it's one the leading online photo/Canvas printing service provider in USA. Hurry! print now & get up 93% OFF on your order.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH