Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Advantage of a small house

jannie
11 years ago

My house is small, maybe 900 square feet. Three bedrooms, one and a half baths. We remodeled the upstairs full bath and we rarely use the downstairs half-bath (toilet and sink only). Cleaning day is easy. The upstairs bath is completely tiled. The downstairs bath just needs the toilet swished and the carpet vacuumed, and the sink cleaned. I feel somewhat sorry for my relatives with their bigger homes and three bathrooms to lean!

Comments (5)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Isn't it great to be living in that not-too-little-not-too-much comfort zone? My house is twice the size of yours, but still "small" by today's standards, and I try to keep things a bit minimal. If something new comes in, something old goes out, etc. It's a good life.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I totally agree on the ease of cleaning a smaller home. Ours is 1375 SQ FT and I would not want more to clean. So happy with our house. Every day I thank my lucky stars this is the plan we chose.

I just cleaned the whole living room down to the bare floors moving furniture out to put down an new to us area rug. Took about an hour start to finish and while I was at it vacuumed the rest of the house.

I am also happy to not have to pay to heat a larger house in winter or have to use expensive central air conditioning. The small swamp cooler cools as much as we need with about a 45 dollar electric bill through out the summer.

I am also happy with this size because it continues to keep me creative in use of space. Making each space work for more than one use and yet do it in a harmonious way. No one really notices the sewing room/guest and now office too, room does as much as it does in one 13' by 9' space. It is comfortable in there and one of my favorite spaces in the house. I also do a little bit of Yoga in there. So do we add workout room too??

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Love my big 500sq ft space since we renovated it ! Since the sitting room is small it's so cosy and intimate, my friend prefers it to his larger living room. The kitchen is so easy to use since I don't have to walk around a big island or far across the room to use the additional counter that I added. I regularly entertain and in the past have had 25 people hanging out. My husband has no trouble cleaning this "small (apt.)home" and now I have no trouble cooking in it and storing my massive farmer's market shopping.
    MOST important though my cat loves it because she can always find us when it's time for bed. Just a short saunter(yes she saunters, to the mattress(it's on the floor until we get a murphy type bed).

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

my house is just under 1000 sq ft.
    rented it for 3 years before buying it.

never thought I'd be a homeowner.

I moved to the country when I moved
    in here, relocated 18 years ago (WOW that long)
    from New Orleans where I moved as soon
    as I could, from a small La. town.

amazing how life changes isn't it?
    good to know that my little place is
    paid for..and I love the yard.
    been outside all day..in shorts mind you..
    working in the yard.

house is small, but yard is 2 acres.
    as much as possible yard is extension
    of living space.
    I'm a die hard diy--er.

great little forum here..I'm usually in building
    hvac repair or remodel. in order of how I visit
    them..first two change up.

easy to clean my little place, but I'd
    like to get rid of the carpet in the
    two bedrooms. can't afford it this year,
    just put in hvac system & new roof on
    addition...imagine at one time the house
    was smaller than it is now.

I changed things around from 3 bedrooms
    to 2. moved kitchen out of living room
    for home office. kitchen is now old bedroom.

I'd love to have a sunroom & bigger bathroom
    or even a second bath..maybe one of these
    years before I get too old.

I get enough of recessed lights and
    marble floors & mcmansions in my work.
    nice to come home to my little house.
    makes me glad I don't have to clean
    those I see when working!

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

I started doing in-home service work about 10 years ago. I get in to middle and upper class homes every day.

It did not take me long to realize at some time there becomes a point where "you don't own a house, it owns you." I was at one home one day and while I was there, the landscaper was there and got paid, the plumber was there and got paid, the pool care guy was there and got paid, and the painter was there and got paid. Me, too.

Another house has a full-time maid, another maid that comes in and cleans the bedroom and baths, a house manager, a personal assistant, who among other things, brings the car around in the morning (or should I say a car, as they have about 20, for two people), and at least four general maintenance staff who handle all the odd jobs. No nanny, as their kids were all adults. I think they fend for themselves for breakfast but wouldn't be surprised if the chef shows up mid-day. I'm also sure they have people who groom and care for the pampered dogs also.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida