Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole75_gw

Our "new" 900 sq ft craftsman

nicole75
11 years ago

Ive been a long time reader/lurker here and I'm so excited about our "new" old house that I had to finally make an account! We are a small, young family of 3 that just bought a 900 sq ft craftsman. It's a foreclosure and we got the house for next to nothing. We put our final cash offer in this Monday and they accepted. We close on November 14th! The home is remarkably well preserved but it has also been updated with new wiring, new central heat and air and new energy efficient windows (and all the glorious windows. Coming from our 20 year old cookie cutter ranch that is dark, all this openness and light is amazing).

It has a full walkout basement that needs A LOT of work (cleaning and finishing) and sits on just over half an acre corner lot in a charming neighborhood, most of which is fenced. We absolutely lucked out on this house. It's in fantastic shape. The only work it needs are cosmetic things and some TLC. It all came together so perfectly for us I can't help but think it was destiny for this house to be ours.

I've always wanted a craftsman but so many were either priced out of our budget or had undergone country or ranch style remodels it was hard to imagine their previous craftsman glory.

At any rate, it will be the perfect house for us. It's just big enough for us without being too big and the compact size allows a certain coziness and charm that's been lost in today's bigger is better lifestyles.

I'm so excited to finally be on here and to have the house I've always wanted. So here's a big wave and hello from me in the middle of nowhere MO, to y'all!

I've attached a picture of the only room that will see major renovation. The kitchen. Those darn builder oak cabinets!! Also? They sprayed ceiling popcorn on top of the original beadboard ceilings and kitchen walls!! What were they thinking?

Comments (30)

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

WOW CONGRATULATIONS. Those doors are beautiful.
    I hate when people renovate and "modernize" to the point where they erase all the traditional beauty.
    "It's just big enough for us without being too big and the compact size allows a certain coziness and charm that's been lost in today's bigger is better lifestyles." I agree with you, those large houses leave me cold--I love craftsman houses.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Concratulations on your new home! Our current home is MCM, but we had a series of 1920s homes before this one, and the charm really can't be beat. We need more pictures, of course, and look forward to watching you make it "yours".

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your new house. I think oak cabinets are fine. I wish I had them here. That popcorn will come down with some elbow grease. Use a sprayer to wet it and start scraping it off. I would use a plastic scraper so you do not mar the wood too bad.

I really like the light the light in your kitchen It looks like a very serviceable space.

I am sure all of us are wanting more pictures. hint.

Welcome.

Chris

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Congratulations...you'll have so much fun making this house your own!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Congratulations! It does sound like you got the bargain of a lifetime with that house. Are you going to gut the kitchen? It's too bad about the ceiling. That popcorn stuff is a pain but it is pretty easy to scrape off.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Can someone please explain those "popcorn"ceilings. Were they a 1970's product used to hide cracks ? I thought they were only popular in basements.

• marymarymaryk
    11 years ago

Congrats! Sounds like a fantastic lot, too!

Our house had popcorn ceilings at some point, too. I only know because in the hall linen closet, they didn't bother to scrape the ceiling! ;p

EatRealFood, I definitely think they were a 1970s thing, but as far as I know, it was just the look - not used to hide cracks or anything.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Nicole75-more pictures, more pictures! Love those doors. Any chance you'd want to post pics of the outside and more of that craftsman charm???

• columbiasc
    11 years ago

Well no wonder you got such a great deal on it, it's sitting on it's side! :)

Eatrealfood, popcorn ceilings became commonplace in the 80s. They were used to cover up poor workmanship as the true craftsmen retired from the trades and the younger crews couldn't find it within themselves to hide drywall joints and seams. It amazes me to walk into expensive model homes with popcorn ceilings.

• kimkitchy
    11 years ago

Hi Nicole!
    Looks like you may have closed on your home today! If so, a big Congratulations to you. Your kitchen has a lot of potential. It will be nice to restore the beadboard ceiling - just lots of elbow grease! I'm with the others... would love to see more pictures.

• nicole75
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We did close today!

I'll be busy moving and painting the next couple weeks.

I've attached a pic of the beadboard ceiling w/popcorn. I've been told since it was painted over it'll be impossible to remove :-(

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

Popcorn ceilings (ugh!) are ubiquitous in FL. I would try an inconspicuous area, using a stiff scraper so you can get under the paint and popcorn. The stuff may come off, or at least enough to remove the layer of paint so you can then spray it with water. Our ceilings in FL are painted, but the water goes right through to wet the popcorn. Flat ceiling paints aren't waterproof.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Who would popcorn a beadboard ceiling?! ugh is right. I'd try to scrape that stuff off somehow or get a sander.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"Who would popcorn a beadboard ceiling?"

someone who didn't like the look of beadboard!

• bluesbarby
    11 years ago

Popcorn ceilings became big in the 60's. It was cheap and it helped with accoustics. Before scraping make sure it doesn't have asbestos. Asbestos wasn't outlawed until the late 70's and all popcorn ceilings had it before then. We had to have a special company come out and scrape it in our current house. The house before was done in the 80's and it was OK, so we did it ourselves.

• User
    11 years ago

Ah HA! I see that Scott came out of hiding to post on this one. Love your comment about the house being cheap because it was ON ITS SIDE. I looked at the picture and wondered about all those paned SKYLIGHTS myself, Scott! hehehehe

But such a great space. You might just replace the oak doors on the cabs and paint the boxes, and be solid and nice too. I would like to see the layout of the kitchen, beyond the range, to know if you could put in a peninsula for more counter space and some bar seating while keeping traffic out of the kitchen work area. I'd also make sure there was a table outside those lovely doors, that kitchen is a very sociable one. Somewhere there is a fridge? And doorways to the dining room? How many doorways do you have that empty into the kitchen? Where do you put your garbage? How do you bring groceries into the house? Those questions are always important to efficient use of your kitchen.

I love the light, and the doors are great. You should be very happy in this sweet little Craftsman. Glad you came out of lurk mode to join us.

• nicole75
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot how long it takes to get settled in after a move! Getting to know this house and the flow of things has been fun.

We are fixing to rip up the nasty, hideous carpet and see what's I underneath. I'm hoping the wood floors are salvageable. We are putting back in period, Craftsman doors. We've got a structural engineer coming in February because we think the kitchen addition over the walkout basement may need to be jacked up.

It's a warm, cozy house though and we have fabulous neighbors who are dedicated to preserving the old homes in our neighborhood. It feels like home and I think that's the best thing that can be said about any house.

Will post more pics soon, of our basement (dungeon) and rest of the house.

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouraging words!!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Nicole75, congratulations on your new cozy home! I have the same builder grade oak cabinets but mine do not have the cathedral pattern on the doors. I have no hardware but I do have updated stainless steel appliances and plans to install the large tile I bought last year as soon as I have time to hire a contractor to double check my measurements so I can order kitchen cabinets. My kitchen is only 12 X 14 which includes are area the cabinets are sitting on and the table area to eat in the kitchen that is next to a sliding door. I have Styrofoam popcorn ceilings throughout my two story townhouse. They were a clay color that I painted bright white when I moved into my home. I wanted to remove the popcorn but it is too much work as it is in every room except the bathrooms. My townhouse was built either in 1990 or 1991 and when I bought my townhouse in 1997, I had thought they were beautiful but now I see they are dust collectors and they make it difficult to have recessed lights sit flat against the ceiling.

I can't wait to see more pictures and changes you make!

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I hope you continue to love your house! Our first house was a '70s ranch which a whopping 860 sqft. The layout wasn't great, but we loved the size. It had zero charm except for the huge sugar maple tree in the front and the towering oak in the back.

We have a house more than double the size now, but we really bought it for the land (10 ac). Now we're moving (with a two year old) to my in-laws farm and looking to build a 900 sq ft cottage.

• anno
    10 years ago

Re: popcorn ceilings
    I have a friend who had her popcorn ceilings covered with Sheetrock rather than going through issues with removal. They look great.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

ammiann, thank you for letting me know about the popcorn ceilings being covered with sheetrock!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I just removed popcorn from some of my ceilings, and really, scraping popcorn and retexturing is cheaper and easier than putting more sheetrock over it, whether you do it yourself or have it done.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you marti8a for letting me know that scraping the popcorn off and retexturing is cheaper than putting more sheetrock over it.

• anno
    10 years ago

If the popcorn has asbestos, covering it might be a better solution. Marti8a, I hope you wore a mask to prevent inhaling the fine particles that come with scraping it off whether they have asbestos or not.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Great message for after it was done ammiann. Try to use some tact to remind others to test their surfaces or use protection.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

My popcorn ceilings are just sprayed on Styrofoam tiny balls.

• anno
    10 years ago

Iowacommute, Marti8a said she had scraped "some" of her ceilings. I only meant for her to be aware of the asbestos and particles of dust in case she did more of them. Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone; just concerned. Marti8a, I am sorry if my message came off as offensive.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

ammiann, I thank you for the warning for others that have real popcorn ceilings and not fake Styrofoam balls on their ceilings as I do. I know you were trying to help.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Check the roof and the plumbing! It looks like someone had grand plans and something happened.

I'd live in it a while and figure out what need doing.

Popcorn ceilings are EASY to get rid of. Don't panic at the doom-mongers and the asbestos. The wetting process takes care of the dust issue, and then you bundle it up in the plastic that's protecting the floors.

If the kitchen is post-1980, so is the popcorn, and they required asbestos-free stuff starting in 1979. Check the building permits and ask the neighbors to see when the addition was made.

Ah .. it's been painted over. Still not a problem: use one of the spiky wallpaper removal rollers to puncture the paint layer, and wet it with warm water that has a bit of detergent in it. You will wet the popcorn, it expands and the whole layer weakens and can be scraped off.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I wasn't offended. I did use a mask even though my ceilings were post 1980. Ours were painted also and I did an initial dry scrape to get the big hunks off ( I think all popcorn ceilings, or blown acoustic, is Styrofoam) and make it possible for the water to penetrate. Then I sprayed with a water bottle, let it soak a minute and it peeled off leaving nothing but the sheetrock. Not hard, but messy (the scrapings usually landed on me) and hard on the neck.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio