Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

spray insulation- DIY

ilmbg
15 years ago

I learned about the spray insulations about a year ago.

There is Tiger Foam, Green Foam, for closed cell, and Icynene for open cell.

I am interested in finding someone who has done the spray themselves.

Is it doable for an average person? I know you have to learn fast due to the cost of the product- but if I use this when I build, I will have to do it myself.

Thank you

Comments (8)

• lucy
    15 years ago

You're welcome (and I really think you should not be trying that on your own BTW).

• emagineer
    15 years ago

Have you tried a search on GW for this? I'm not sure if the Builders forum would have info or Old House, Repair, etc. But worth a try. Put quotes around "foam insulation" for the search. Or the names of the ones you listed.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lucy- I/m afraid I do not quite understand your reply.

emagineer- I have tried the Building forum, but nobody there did it themselves- some have had it done by subs, but I want to know about someone trying themselves....

• lucy
    15 years ago

Well if you've never done it before, or really even been shown by a pro., it seems that it might be a bit much to take on by yourself, and I'm sure you'd want the job to be done well, by people with some experience. I found out a bit about it when I had my ex-house (old!) done last year by pros, who told me about how they removed the siding, just where and how they pumped in the stuff, and when they stopped pumping in which area, and how to be careful about electrical wiring, etc. etc. There's always more to something like that than you'd think from a basic description.

• sduck2
    15 years ago

I looked on gardenweb "renewable energy" forum and found lots of information on blown in insulation. I actually decided on and did the fiberglass blown in insulation last week. The cost is about 1.45 a square ft. I am also waiting for a rebate from the gas company(up to $2k)for insulating the house which will pay for 2/3's the cost!

Here is a link that might be useful: renewable energy

• breenthumb
    15 years ago

A little late, I know, (haven't been here in a while) but just wanted to let you know it can surely be a DIY. Especially if you're just in the building stage where studs are still exposed.

My son-in-law knows all about this from environmental science college programs he teaches. Long story short, he brought along his heat sensing equipment and canisters of spray foam when they came for Thanksgiving because I'd been researching ways to insulate the bandjoist in basement. Job took very little time and it's much warmer now.

What they used was Handi Foam. More info at fomo.com, but you've probably found this and other sources in your searches. For our small job he brought the smaller size canisters. Just wanted you to know its very do-able.

• spunbondwarrior
    15 years ago

>>>> "I am interested in finding someone who has done the spray themselves.

Is it doable for an average person? I know you have to learn fast due to the cost of the product- but if I use this when I build, I will have to do it myself." 1st: use an efficient form of search: click on the link for the best (IMHO anyway) general purpose search engine/service results currently available.

2nd: go to groups.google.com and yahoo groups as well and search through them, and more specifically, search out those groups that are construction-topic-centric and then search for specific information/help......Lots of for real extremely knowledgable folks read and respond to questions comments thoughts theories and the like at groups.....

Hope this helps those looking for such related information

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY spray foam

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

A concern for spray roof insulation that doesn't seem to be mentioned....Down the road your roof starts leaking...you'll never know until some structural damage occurs (collapsing roof?).

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure