Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyyanks_gw

Sorry

jyyanks
17 years ago

I just re-read my post. I hope I didn't come off sounding like a total snob! I apologize if I did. All I wanted to say was that you can raise happy, successful well adjusted kids regardless of the size of your home. I applaud you for realizing that you don't have to "keep up with the Jonses"!

Comments (2)

• emagineer
    17 years ago

JY,

I didn't read anything in your post that required an apology. Most of the posts in the thread were sharing experiences and didn't find that you sounded like a snob or "telling" someone what they should do. My take...

Sometimes I write and don't share completely what was meant only to sound like an idiot. Thought your writing seemed fine.

Did you think your link was the problem? I also live in an area similar to yours, many large...over a million in price with tiny homes tucked inbetween. The area is sought after because of the school district and "old" established homes of historic value. My house though is a non descript rancher (not completely, but almost), less than half the price of homes you posted a link to. One of my reasons for buying here was knowing the area, a safe place and where people take care of their homes. My previous home was 1,000 sq ft larger, with a basement and 2 car garage. Sold it for the same price I paid for this little house because I was seeing the area go down (commercial building, traffic, homes not being cared for) and love this new setting along with art resources/shopping so much close at hand. If it were not for family nearby I would head to someplace with a lower cost of living/housing....but plan on being here for the long run.

Along this subject, it amazes me how homes are priced in different areas of the country. Understand locations where I live, but Colorado hasn't gotten to the level of east/west. And, I still can't figure out how these higher priced homes are afforded by so many. Actually I don't know how they do it with the mansions around me, or what they do in huge 5,000 sq ft or more. I have and have had friends who live in them, understand work/business/lifestyle as part of all, but I've probably been out of the loop too long....or just plain getting old and life has become simple rather than complicated.

Hopefully I haven't added anything of conflict to this post. Small homes are part of us for a broad range of reasoning and many of us have been in the big at one time. It is all part of personal choices just as it is with how we live our lives. Greatfully we are all unique in our own way....individual to make personal choices, to learn from each other and to enjoy the wealth of special qualities.

You sound like a caring person to take the time to make an apology....for something I really didn't read into.

• jyyanks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Emagineer,
    Thank you for your kind words. It was indeed the link and my first 2 sentences in my post to crystal386 that bothered me. I really just meant to use it as an example of the diverse homes (and prices) in my neighborhood. I have seen first hand both from growing up in this area, and living here now that my kids are in school, that living in either a large house or a smaller one doesn't affect/bother the kids.

Your post made me feel better. I know what you mean about wanting to move to a place with a lower cost of living. I, too, am tied to this area by family and am not moving anytime soon. It is a struggle as almost all of our money goes into the mortgage and the cost of living in a NYC suburb. But I am grateful for my small house. I am grateful that we were even able to buy a house, grateful that the house is in a great school disctrict and grateful that it is close to family and friends.

Thank you again.

P.S. I thought I posted this under crytals post and not as a separate topic but it must have been late and I must have been delirious!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH