Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enigmaquandry

Discovered house's 'nametag'!

enigmaquandry
12 years ago

We took the plunge and ripped all the vinyl siding off our house (another, looooong story) and while replacing some of the cedar shakes that were original, we removed some over the door and discovered nailed to the house's sheathing the original "tag" of the homebuilder! It says "Peaseway Homes". I've tried to find some information about them online, but all I've come across is that they are prefabricated houses (similar to a sears house), postwar and have a different kind of framing called "stress skin panels" with plywood instead of drywall finishing the inside (which is one of my favorite things!). Anyway, I'm super intrigued if anyone has any info on Peaseway Homes, I'm also a little concerned since I don't understand what stress skin panels are but it seems that the plywood is structural, and three rooms of our house have had the plywood replaced with drywall. We are hoping to add a large dormer addition eventually and now I'm also wondering if a "modular" built home can support it, given their unique building techniques.

Anyway know about these houses? Our whole neighborhood was clearly built by the same builder (with extras and additions here and there). On the whole they seem sensational quality, with poured concrete basements and wide oak flooring.

I'll try to post a picture soon of the tag I found, it was so cool!

Comments (6)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

That is neat. I had to look it up and the pictures I found look a lot like the house dh grew up in.

• User
    12 years ago

Enigma, over on the OLder Homes forum, an expert in older kit homes sometimes hangs out. If I'm remembering correctly, she is Rosemary Thornton? I'll try to research some on her name, because I sent her an email once upon a time, and I've purchased one of her books as well. Worth a try isn't it?
    I'll be back if I find out anything.

• User
    12 years ago

Enigma, you can look up the user posts on The Old House forum, and then go to her page and send an email.

I did a search on that forum for Rosemary Thornton, and found a long listing, many about kit homes.

Hope this helps. BTW, I did notice you'd posted on that forum also, but an email might help too. Good luck.

• enigmaquandry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marti, did you really find pictures? I could only find one on the whole web!

Moccasin, thank you for the info about Rosemary Thornton, I will try to email her and look at those posts, I did post in the old house forum as well hoping for an expert...I can find extremely little on these houses!

• User
    12 years ago

And Enigma, I Googled Peaseway Homes and found several hits. One was a PDF documment from Kentucky about these homes and others, which I downloaded with intention of sending to you. However, I discovered no email thru GWeb. Then I went to your blog Grey Stables, and did not see how to send you a link to it. However, I got sidetracked looking at the updates to your blog. My dear heart, you need to let me KNOW when you do so MUCH to your home, and I spent a lot of time browsing through your shed photos. Something about a shed really gets me going.....I'm fond of my Teahouse, and your shed pictures are gorgeous. But then I really love the job you are doing on your sun room. Amazing what white paint can do to bring a room forward and make it cheerful, then furnished so tastefully. You are doing a great job on your blog. I also like the signage for your herb garden. I have all sorts of SHIMS I could use for that, my hostas need some name tags...."Hello, My Name Is HOSTA BROTHER STEFAN".......

• enigmaquandry
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Moccasin, thank you! Haha, I didn't realize my GW profile didn't have an email address, I'll be sure to add that right now. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog :) I haven't been able to update it lately because we're in the midst of SO MANY PROJECTS but when the weather cools down and things come to a finish there will be dozens of renos up there :)

I've come to the conclusion that I will go mad if I'm not working on some project or other!

The Kentucky article is the ONLY thing I've found that mentions Peaseway Homes at all, other than that I don't know why I can't find anything. I did email Rosemary so hopefully that will lead to some insight.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz