Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zandra_gw

You have got to see this (link included)

zandra
17 years ago

Check out this link for a designer-manufacturer of truly tiny homes:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Comments (16)

• IdaClaire
    17 years ago

Oh, my goodness -- those are adorable! I think it would be a challenge to live in something like that (especially as a woman who likes clothes and artwork and a house full of animals!), but, if I were single and didn't have all of these critters, it might be a fun challenge! I'll bet it would cause a person to really reevaluate how they live.

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

Might make a nice mother-in-law suite :)

• postum
    17 years ago

Thank you! I love that site!

• delvo
    17 years ago

$30,983-$51,047 seems like a lot of money to pay for what amounts to a decorated shed.

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

Wow -- I love those houses! They make me want to buy a few acres in the middle of nowhere and plop one down.

• southernheart
    17 years ago

My thoughts were the same as mcgillicuddy...it would be so nice to have one of those on a piece of property, maybe the woods on the edge of a lake. They look like something you would stumble upon in the pages of a storybook.

• jakkom
    17 years ago

Considering the building codes in CA, it's a lot more than just a 'decorated shed', actually! When you consider the average new building cost here is $250-350/sq.ft. and remodeling costs run around $400/sq.ft., a well designed and well-built small house for those prices is quite reasonable.

• marysdottir
    17 years ago

I agree with jkom51. Where I live in Canada the building costs are about the same as yours and this seems like a good deal. Even with the exchange rate on the dollar.

Beautiful!

• postum
    17 years ago

Here is another company that makes small buildings - sheds, summer houses, cabins - their prices seem pretty reasonable to me, and they have free shipping on a lot of stuff. I got a nice catalog from them a couple of years ago...

Here is a link that might be useful: Spirit Elements

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

I would love to replace my useless, one-car garage with one of the tiny Tumbleweeds.

City codes probably wouldn't allow it, but it would be so wonderful for guests!

Maybe I'll just throw a few bunkbeds and a camp stove in the garage and call it a "guest suite" :)

• xtreme_gardener
    17 years ago

What a relief to see some houses smaller than mine! They all look like doll houses. The designs are kind of inspiring. I can't believe they fit toilets and sinks into the tiny tumbleweed houses!
    Toots

• akesling
    17 years ago

I love Tiny Tumbleweed Houses. My husband and I are gathering materials to build the one on wheels, the second one down in the list of photos.

I'm new, so I'm just jumping right on in. I, too, am a pack rat, BUT I'm teaching myself new living skills. I'm working with a sustainable community group and this "disposal" lifestyle is killing our planet. So, I've done a few things that are really helpful. My friend and mine keep all our crafting supplies at her house and our sewing supplies at my house, and that way neither one has too much junk and we have an excuse every week to get together.

I WILL live in a tiny dwelling one day... for good. :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Katrina Cottages

• mary1helen2
    17 years ago

My daughter put up one of these at her lake cottage for guests to sleep in. I don't think it's the same brand, but is the same idea. It is adorable, and everybody fights to sleep in the "little house" instead of the cottage.

• tinylady1
    17 years ago

I dont know about you guys, but I thought they would make a great summer cottage for guests. I cant afford those prices, but hec why couldnt you take one of those pretty sheds built by the amish or who ever and insulate it then finish it with sheet rock or paneling and some comforts of home. You are only going to use it in the summer months. I have the perfect place for that in my side yard.

• flgargoyle
    17 years ago

I wonder how you get around 'anti-shack' laws with one of those? Many areas require at least 700 sq. ft. I guess if it was considered portable, you could get away with it. I would want it tied down well at those prices, though!

• raylp
    17 years ago

I have a 9x16 tiny house that was made by the Tiny house Company.

It's similar to the ones produced by Tumbleweed. I absolutely love the space, and have used it as a studio for years. What a luxury to have a place to get away to.

I'm going to part with it soon, so that I can make a smaller one. I don't need all that extra space (lol)