Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellusionz

Care Cottages/Other Options?

ellusionz
9 years ago

I thought I posted this question previously but can't find it so here I go again...

I have a house on a half acre with a good amount of space to add on. My parents live with me and I would really like to give them their own place, sort of mother in law suite apartment style (out of my house) LOL. I'm not looking to spend alot, hopefully around 50k if possible. I've seen a nice RV park model type of home called ESCAPE but its a bit more. Or a "tiny home" could work but it appears most build up and I don't think they could navigate the stairs very well.

Any suggestions on where I can look for a home to be put on my property? I know I still need to check into zoning laws but as my home is more in a rural part of the city I don't think there would be too many problems.

Comments (7)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Look for house to be moved. Those moving companies usually have an inventory. You pick the house and they move it to your lot. Sometimes lots of work required, sometimes not.

If you have acreage, it might be simpler to just build a studio type structure. Here the per foot price is about $100-125 per square foot. So, for a 1,000 sq ft studio, it will be about $50K. That's the size of an extra large 2 bedroom apartment. If your the cost per sq ft is substantially higher in your area, just build smaller to get it to budget.

• User
    9 years ago

Great idea about moving an existing home. If for a lowball price, you'd have money left over for the new foundation, electrical, and perhaps ramps and covered outdoor spaces to drive the car up for easy moving your parents into a vehicle winter or summer, rain or snow.

I recently read an interesting book about creating community as we age. So you could include a spot for your parents to entertain in their home while they are able, without interfering with you and your children or any separate activities. I give the link below. Read the reviews to see if this could interest you. It discusses options for those still mobile and not handicapped to remain in their homes (or in the cottage on your property) instead of a nursing home. Planning ahead now might assure this is possible down the road.

You are wise to plan for it now, and you are a good child for including them in your life. Old age is definitely not for sissies. We will all need every bit of help we can get.

Here is a link that might be useful: With a little help from our friends...book

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I think you are going about this backwards. Checking the zoning laws and what restrictions there are should be the first step. That way you can narrow down what you are looking for to only those things that would be allowed. I think it is a mistake to assume that just because you are in a rural area there won't be problems with having two residences on one property, especially when you only have a 1/2 acre lot. We have friends that have 72 acres and when they build their new house they will have to remove the old one because only one residence is allowed per property.

• User
    9 years ago

When we visited Shelbourne Museum up in Vermont, I was fascinated by a structure called The Kalkin House. It was built of shipping containers and had two rollup warehouse doors so it became an indoor/outdoor spot.

The particular one I liked had metal steps going up each side to the two lofts at either end which were bedrooms. All public rooms were downstairs. Floors were cement foundations.
    Shipping containers are interesting things, especially if one is a good welder and can cut out the openings for windows/doors/utilities and such. I give one link below, not to the Shelbourne Museum structure, but to another site that features work done by Kalkin.

Consider this to be in 'Other Options' category.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adam Kalkin shipping container Quik-House

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

We discussed these shipping container homes a few times on HT.

Here's another site with simple to elaborate.

Here is a link that might be useful: I see possibilities here

• User
    9 years ago

Duluth, I was pleased to note that your link had The Kalkin House at Shelbourne Museum as #4, and I recognized it. That is the perfect picture of its interior....except you don't see the kitchen and the other loft space. Which, since it is all so open, I now believe must have been a study or similar space. It was some years ago now that I was there, but it remains my idea of an exciting way to live.

• wordie89
    9 years ago

dekeoboe makes sense: check out zoning first.

That being said, I've frequently thought that adding a pool house/guest house is a way of accommodating elder parents and later, maybe rental income.

Here is a link that might be useful: ne style pool/guest house

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms