Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Mrs. Blandings chooses paint colors :)

lavender_lass
9 years ago

Saw this on the Decorating forum and wanted to share it here. Love this movie and this scene always makes me laugh! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to clip

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

Lav, I know exactly which scene you mean, because it struck me as funny when I saw the movie (again) on Retro TV channel about a year ago.

Another one that is good is The Money Pit. Remember that one with Tom Hanks and ......what's her name....?____ Long from Cheers?

There is a blog which features movie houses on Mondays.....I wish I could remember what it is called....but the blogger is in Texas.....something like Cote de Texas?
    You probably remember better than I do.

• wordie89
    9 years ago

Oh yes! One of favorite parts of the movie. If you are in the midst of selecting colors this is a badly needed moment of comic relief.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm going to try for a nice soft yellow ochre which is earthy. It is my favorite yellow, like sunshine. I regret that Behr stopped making that color paint, but I'm taking a board to them to be mixed for me. The last we had on hand was used to paint this enclosed back porch. See how the light enlivens the space? and that was the best part of the porch, the light and the color.

Paint: Behr THREADED GOLD.

What with the white cabinets and the stainless steel appliances and the Silestone 'Stellar Snow' countertops, it will be a scheme of yellow walls, gray and white, with ash hardwood flooring throughout the house....except bathrooms and sun porch which are tiles.

• User
    9 years ago

I'm back.

Well, I visited Home Depot for Behr paint, and discovered I did not need a sample of the THREADED GOLD I'd had mixed by another company to get the paint I wanted. Apparently, the color is back by popular demand, which had been removed from the Behr database as if it never existed. I was distraught, you can imagine, and hoarded the remaining can of MY FAVORITE YELLOW EVER, until I was afraid it would not apply correctly.

But now, I have a 5 gallon bucket of it ready to go. I also got another 5 gallon bucket of the super dooper paint and stain blocking primer (it has more of the "hiding" feature in it than any other all in one).....in Behr ULTRAPURE WHITE....which I've loved because it has no blue tint in it at all. I've used it for woodwork and ceilings too.

I never use "ceiling paint" because it is so blah. Our ceilings are not smooth, they are sort of bumpy and definitely cement plaster, so they do not produce a shiny surface. However, I like to have a WHITE CEILING, and discovered the same scrubbable paint for walls works equally well on the ceiling. I hope I am done burning things on the stove as I've been known to do in the past.....things like forgetting the pot of eggs boiling on an electric burner, until a big POP POP POP startled me into awareness, and I find the eggs had exploded to the ceiling and the aluminum pan had melted and run down into the burner drip pan.... when I'm reading I'm oblivious of all around me it seems.

Now I will be painting out the WARM TERRA COTTA color on my living room and dining room. I'll definitely cover the white cover coat with the THREADED GOLD yellow in the dining room. I might leave the living room, joined by a 5 foot wide doorway into the dining room, ULTRAPURE WHITE for a while. I did that before when I painted MoccasinLanding, I mean, why not since it will be clean and pretty for a little while at least, and I might decide to include a different soft color in this room which is too dark for my satisfaction, although it has light from southern facing and western facing windows. I want LIGHT EVERYWHERE. Like on the sunporch, THAT much light.

Although I did discover that there is a time for darkness, and that is at night. The neighbor has spotlights burning all night long aimed at our house, and we don't need to turn on a light to travel safely to the john during the night. I'd prefer it be otherwise, since I like closing my shutters only at the bottom, leaving open the tops to see the trees in the moonlight, not suffocated by curtains, not resentful of observation by prying eyes. A large crape myrtle and a young bald cypress tree are growing to block off the intrusive inconsiderate invasion of our privacy.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Your Threaded gold is Gorgeous. I went away from yellow many years ago when it was the only COLOR besides white I was allowed to paint. Now I think I could easily go back to it. So pretty.

AND ML I need to find out more on the sliding door you are going to put up. Considering doing one on our kitchen to laundry room. This would keep a DOOR out of the space but I would still be able to close it off when I was doing laundry at odd hours, which I tend to do.

I NEED to find a place for my step stool and step ladder too. I am sick of seeing them in my laundry room leaned against the wall. Tacky.

Boys came come from morning adventure I need to get back to my wifey duties. Lunch time.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I seem to remember you called one of your previous homes Canary Cottage, which sounded yellow to me. :0
    I looked at the small smear the mixologist for Behr put on top of the white bucket, and it honestly has an undertone of gray in it. So I will be very happy with this choice in the new kitchen, with the white cabs, the stainless touches of gray, the gray sparkle in the Silestone Stellar Snow, and then the yellow walls and light (tones of ash have some yellow blonde in the wood) ash floors. If it looks cheerful, I'll be super happy!

I know I ordered test samples of several yellow colors. I think they call them "white boards" with a couple from Benjamin Moore, one from Sherwin Williams, and then this Behr Threaded Gold mixed by the matcher company. I tested them all under incandescent lamp light, under just florescent, and then by daylight straight on and daylight indirect. It was a blind test, did not know which was which, and the Threaded Gold kept its nature the best. Even DH, who is a touch color blind, picked it from the lineup.
    I think tomorrow is cover-it-up-with-white day. Clean slate. I'll do the master first. I hate the Classic Taupe in there. It was a big flop. I'll get it back to white and go to yellow I do believe.

If you can think of a better color for the living room that will go with white woodwork, white slip covers on the chairs, ash floors, dark wood of the sofa and loveseat, and will lead gently into the open doorway to the yellow dining/kitchen, let me know. Same for the master. I'm not painting the study this time. Not touching anything inside that room.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Wel you know me I am all about color. But in your case I think the white and yellow would look best and add your colors in with accent pieces. I think White and yellow is about as cheerful as you can get.

Which brings some thing to mind. I keep leaning towards the very pale mint green and the living room and master are this color and the hallway eventually will also be. What is not covered in Glass. LOL I wonder if I am so happy with this light green here because so much of our year is spent browns and very little green=summer time. So the green makes me feel like spring??

I think the pale yellow and white will do for you the same as the pale mint green and white I have here. And that might be a funny thought to paint for the color of outside. LOL

I know most have seen this green of our master.

• User
    9 years ago

Shades, remind me what the name of your wall paint is. I like it a lot. I don't like an avocado green for walls, although that is fine for things like flannel sheets, which will peek out as part of the entire scheme. You have some yellow in your room, the coverlet is sort of a shrimp bisque with a rich cream...now that is not only pretty, it is delicious as well. :)

I will be posting some pictures on Flickr later. We're watching the election results now. Or, DH is, I listen selectively, same way I used to do ball games while I was sewing in another room.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

ML this green is a mixture of green and white paint I had on hand when I decided to paint our room at 6PM and closest paint store was 45 miles away. I just grabbed left over greens and white paint inside and out some flat and some semigloss. Poured it all in my canning kettle and started painting. I had one half pint left when I was done. PHEW. I would say it is very close to a green I used at the last house called Perfect mint.

I left the easiest wall to paint for last just in case I ran out of paint.

I think this is the only house I have had called Canary Cottage. You are probably think of my Canary Cottage Flicker account. Making two canary cottages.

• valerie427
    9 years ago

Now I wish I could see "Threaded Gold!"
    When I was looking at yellows (for the kitchen), I finally settled on BM's Hawthorne Yellow (or maybe it's was called Hawthorne Gold) - it was from one of their historical collections, and I really do like it, it's not too bright but it is definitely yellow.

• User
    9 years ago

Valerie, I got a sample of the Hawthorne Gold, BM brand, and it is quite similar to Threaded Gold. It is what I call a nice soft yellow ochre, which is very earthy looking, mixed from natural pigments, like from the soil. So yes, it would be a nice historical color. I've used Threaded Gold in about 3 kitchens so far, and it looks good applied solid over white, or even sponged on in a small room over white, which to me makes it look like sunshine lighting up the room. I did that to an 8 x 9 room that I used as a study, just sponged it over the white paint, didn't cover it all, left some white peeking through, and honestly it felt like the walls dissolved.

My philosophy about painting is to do the rooms white to start with. Live with that for a while, after all it is clean, might as well enjoy that. Then later on, when I have some more energy and I'm thinking about the rest of the colors I like, I try the sponge or rag roll technique. I did one bedroom in a rag roll of lavender on ONE WALL (the wall opposite a window, so it would reflect the color back onto the other walls)....and then I painted some shutters I bought for $5 each (they were old bifold closet doors) and put 4 of them across one corner to make a sort of hidden closet for out of season clothing boxes. I painted those bifolds alternating lavender and sort of soft aqua.....and then put a twin bed in front of the shutters longways (not with headboard up against the shutters, which would look fine if the room was large enough). I lost my pictures of that setup, but it was great looking.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz