Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aboo1899

Advice on color for front door and shutters

aboo1899
13 years ago

We are getting a new front door next week and our shutters need to be painted so we are looking for advice on colors. Our roof has green shingles, which limits our options.

Here is a photo (we are redoing the steps and walk next.): http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/214/housepa.jpg

We were thinking of going with a mustard yellow but that may not go well with the green roof.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments (7)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

I'm thinking the shutters would look good black. Plus, those dormer windows should probably have a black line around the white trim to sort of point them up.

Are you getting a door with glass panes across the top? Small squares, maybe 3 or 4 across the top? If so, that might look nice in black also, or perhaps a deep "jet" green. You need to change that single light into a pair of lantern, one on either side.

Your house is an adorable little classic cape, and I really like it. If you are in the northeast where you have a snowy winter, I also suggest that you replace the narrow steps and wrought iron railings. Widen the steps to the full width of the stoop, and then have the railings come straight down from the brick wall all the way to the ground. You will need some railings to hold on to with the snow piling up there. Keep the wroughtiron black.

Neat as a pin. Love your house.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I was going to say black too, but it seems so predictable these days. But I just can't see any other color. I do like color they are now, but I think black would look good with the wrought iron. I'd either stick with white door, or a medium oak stain - or faux if you have a steel door.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

If you like mustard yellow for the door...why not? It's easy enough to repaint it, if you don't like it. My grandmother had a bright orange door for years and she loved it! No one ever had a problem finding her house, once they got on the right street :)

I like ML's idea of painting the trim on the dormers. If you like the dark green shutters, dark green would look nice, or if you go for the black shutters, black would look just as nice.

I think window boxes would look very cute for the two main windows, but I don't know how hard they would be to attach to a brick house.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

What a darling house. Although mine isn't brick, I do have black shutters on mine and think they work well.

What I'd love to have is real shutters like yours with original shutter hardware. They aren't costly and the hardware adds so much to the look. With black it wouldn't show up as well, but a dark green would.

Link below is like hardware used. There are other suppliers in iron. Now that I've posted this, it may be time for me to order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutter hardware

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I vote for black! And a fresh coat of black on the wrought iron. I agree with moccasinlanding on the lighting--two lanterns would look great.

The current width of the steps makes sense to me--they are the same width as the sidewalk that you are stepping onto, or from.

• rj56
    13 years ago

I like your idea of mustard yellow on the door. If you did paint your shutters black, you could put black hardware on the door. I also wonder how a deep taupe would look with your green roof.