Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Began demo this afternoon, sheetrock removal question

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 19:12

I know several of the ladies here are really good at this and I'd like your advice before continuing.

I've got all the stuff moved away from the wall, got the trim off the wall, and an attached fold-down table off.

Now I'm ready to remove sheetrock. Is there any way to remove it in more or less complete sheets? I don't think there's any way dd & I can bring home replacement sheetrock from the store.

Dh is gone this weekend and I'd like to have the wall moved and put back in the new spot before he returns Sunday, because when he sees it, it may be the last time he leaves me home alone. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I forgot to add photos

This is what I've got to move, just that one wall from the door frame to the window.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm off to get out the door frame right now. Check back later.

o
RE: Began demo this afternoon, sheetrock removal question

By the sound of your comments I'm assuming you plan to use the same studs and plates. What are your plans for electrical? How are you moving the jamb and door? What are you using to remove the top and bottom plates? Do you know how to frame the corner? If you can't get sheetrock home, how are you getting your 2x stock there? Is this something you've done before? What do you have in the way of tools?

o

marti8a, are you asking if the sheetrock can be removed in whole sheets because you want to re-use it? Even though I love re-using materials, I wouldn't recommend reusing sheetrock, even if you could remove it whole. Taking it off the wall will probably flex it, causing it to break or 'crumble' between the paper layers, and it's going to be crushed where the nails or screws were put in.

If you want to try to take off large pieces to avoid dust, use a utility knife to score it as deeply as possible, on the studs (beside the nails), pull off the large pieces, then break off the small pieces that were held by the nails.

I've used a large (contractor's size) trash bag, screwed to the wall with a piece of scrap 1x2, spanning two studs, to help catch debris.

Good luck with your week-end project!!

o

Yes, I plan on re-using it. There wasn't a lot of flex taking it off the wall. As soon as the screws were out, I cut the tape and ripped it off and let it slide down onto our toes. Then we just lifted it and moved it aside. I actually figured out an easy way to find the screws this morning. This is the 2nd piece, and it's 4x12, not 4x8.

The corners are the only concern putting it back up, but I may need to cut it to go around the new doors I'm putting in, and then I'll have a fresh edge for the screws.

Photobucket

o

What are your plans for the room? Making it smaller or bigger?

o

Making the room at the back of the garage smaller so there will be more work space in the garage.

o

marti8a, you and DD should turn pro! That looks great--I've never been lucky enough to find sheetrock that was put up with screws. Maybe because our home is older, but it's all nailed into rough-sawn 2x4s that are hard as rocks.

I'm checking in this AM to see what DH had to say about the project. ;)

o

I didn't get it finished. Dd helped me with those two pieces and then took off. I did get all the sheetrock off, and started unscrewing the top plate, but dh had taken the good drill and I only had a little cordless drill. It didn't have the oomph to back out the long screws.

So dh saw it the way it was, wasn't upset with my doing it, just that his desk was covered with stuff.

I am going to need his help to move the wall anyway, so just as well.

I'll post a pic when we start again. I'm anxious to have this done so we can start building our addition.

o

Marti, you are AWESOME, lady!!!!

Nothing quite like working up a sweat to get rid of your devils. I'm no help these days, got a lot on my mind. But you are an inspiration. You, Nancy, and MamaGoose.....really heavy hitters.

o

Marti, aren't you just getting over Shingles? Are you sure you want to be doing this? You are more energetic than I am. I got worn out today just going out doing errands with/for my mentally ill friend for three hours. Right now I would like to shoot off the upper right quadrant of my brain. Where is Dick Cheeny when you need him? (Inside joke for those who did not read my Library thread.)

I am glad your DH did not mind this project, Marti. It would have been too much if he had said "Please put those back," when he saw the drywall sheets!

o

I'm laughing here and also remembering scenes in the movie FRIED GREEN TOMATOS, where Kathy Bates was trying to remodel her house after she became EMPOWERED by Miz Threadgood (Jessica Tandy's role)....she was swinging that sledge hammer and saying TAWANDAAAAAA!!! Oh yeah, she was EMPOWERED...

And now I'm catching glimpses of many different homes where the Spirit of Tawanda brings many changes.

Where ever you find your inspiration, it is precious.And so are you self-starting folks unafraid to tackle new projects.

o

ML - not me. I'm a wimp these days!

ya'll put me to shame.

o

WOW Marti good and BIG job!!!!

LOL at Nancy I did catch that bit on your library thread. Nice of you to help your friend though.

o

mama goose, when we built this garage, I thought the guys putting up sheetrock were doing it the hard way with the screws. Now I'm so happy they did. btw, one of the guys was just a little taller than me, twice as big, and could lift the 4x12 piece of sheetrock all by himself and climb the ladder with it. Then his helper climbed another ladder and they screwed it to the ceiling. I'm impressed that dh can lift a piece of 4x8 sheetrock and nail it overhead without having to climb a ladder at all, but this guy was totally awesome.

But yes, now I'm thrilled with sheetrock screws, and wish our house had them too - especially now that some of the nails have started backing out by themselves.

Nancy, my shingles are all but gone. Just a few spots and that annoying tingling/itching. When I get tired, I stop. This was a project dh & I have been talking about doing; I just got tired of waiting for him to help. But now that I've got it started, he's in there helping. I knew he would.

We got the wall moved last night and went to the orange store for more studs to frame out another wall and two doors.

I'm so excited about putting our woodworking shop together now that we have room for all of it. I've got a couple of tools I haven't been able to use for a couple of years with the table saw taking up the prime space in the garage, and dh bought me a planer at a garage sale last weekend too. I feel like a kid with a new toy.

o
Another update

With dh helping now, this is going much faster.

We put in a few studs, trimmers and header for a new door in the entry hall. I need to put in the door today and put a foam gasket strip under the bottom plate in the wall between the "clean" and "dusty" sides of the garage.

LOL, I don't know what to call the clean side now. The kitchen strip or dh's office. Poor guy will be smashed between the bookcase and the sink.

o

Whoaaaa, lady, you are going like a house on fire. It is so nice to read your posts....which are appearing one on top of another before anyone else has time to comment!!!! I think it is GREAT, Marti....

When you say "entry" you mean the back entry? not the front door adjacent the two front bedrooms? You have yet to approach that job I think. That will be a big one. But it sounds to me that by the time you square off on it, your skills and your confidence will be high enough to knock it out without stressing yourself.

There was a song, "Anything you can do, I can do better."
That tough guy who lifts 4x9 sheets and climbs a ladder with them, has nothing on you and your DH. Even a mountain can be moved a spoon at a time with perseverence.

o

Well, if I could remember everything I want to say, I could put it in one post. I also have to go back into the house to get something I forgot at least once every time I get in the car to go to town. ;)

I should have started off with the pictures again. I posted a while back about how to best reconfigure the garage and office space.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The gray area is the original office space and the red lines are where the new walls are. There is a door into the back of the garage, which makes an entry between the closet and bathroom, and by putting a door there, we can close off access to our office equipment and our inventory and have a bathroom for neighborhood kids who come over to visit the garden and workmen who do our addition.

I don't know why it is, but every kid who has ever come over here has to go to the bathroom, even kids from across the street. Maybe it's the waterfall. lol

o

Have I ever said before how much I hate sheetrocking? Well, I do. But I'm almost finished. Just have to go around two doors and I'm through hanging it. Then I have to mud & tape. I hate that part too. I'm tired. I want to stop right now. Wish me luck.

o

Luck!

o

Go marti8a - you can do it!

o

Marti, I have every faith in your persistance....you not only CAN do it, I know you SHALL do it. You have what it takes. And you do a great job of it too.

You are one of the ANGRY BIRDS.....
Ask one of the little kids who come over to use your bathroom if they know what the Angry Birds are. If you don't already know, they will be happy to tell you. I'm becoming addicted to the games on my phone and on Chrome browser. But you, lady are worthy of Angry Bird status, you keep on going.

o

I vaguely know what angry birds are. My future son-in-law plays it on his phone all the time. But that is all I know about it, and snippets from a tv commercial. So do I take that as a compliment? lol

This wall is soooo out of square. Nothing has gone right from the insulation being too thick to put the sheetrock on easily, to the new wall being about an inch shorter than when it was in the other spot 5 feet away. Don't know why. We decided to put plywood on the wall on the garage side so we can hang tools anywhere on it, and I used the two best pieces of sheetrock from that side to fill in where the old door was and the bit of wall around both sides of the new door in the entry area. And the sheetrock that was on the garage side (the 4x12 size) is 1/2 where the stuff on the other side is 3/4". Argh! But by the time I get through with it, it shouldn't be too noticeable. I'm looking at it as honing my drywall skills, not that I EVER want to do this again.

o

Marti, why am I thinking this photo will interest you? Were we talking about it? Anyway, let's see if it works. From Houzz.

Whole House Green contemporary bedroom

Ah, now I remember. Storing your quilts. And I suggested hanging them. And this shows how I meant it to be hung on your high cathedral ceilings. Not as a window cover, due to light. But anyway, this is one way to make use of your lovely quilts. Just sew a sleeve top and bottom, thread the rod through the top one, and put a dowel through the bottom one to hold that edge straight, and then attach each corner of the dowel to a cup hook, or a tack in the baseboard.

o

marti - YOU GO GIRL!!! This is WAY more than I would do myself!!! I'm great on ideas, but not actual physical execution...princess that I am!!! LOL!!! CH just brought home a new impact drill & wanted me to try it - as much as I love power tools I NEVER got the hang of them & they scare me!!! LOL!!!

~Jeana

o

Thanks Jeana. Oooh, impact drills are hard on you. I used one on my fence and didn't stop vibrating for a good while afterward. lol

Today I'm trying to replace the ceiling fan light fixture with a flourescent. The problem is that there are NO instructions with the fixture on how to connect the wires and the flourescent has an odd connector. Came in to see if I could find directions online. *sigh* Nothing is ever easy, is it?

I just got a text from dh that all the hiking he has been doing this week has just about done him in, and I texted back that I'm the same. My back and hands are killing me.

Well, back to it.

o

ML, I love that room. Some of the quilts I have could be hung, but most are too delicate (as in they would rip with the pressure). I read somewhere that some people stack all their quilts on the floor and roll them up like a Little Debbie Swiss Roll and then store them in a long cloth bag under the bed, so that's a thought. Sure would make it easy, but I'm not sure how safe they would be from dust and bugs under there.

o

This wall is soooo out of square. Nothing has gone right from the insulation being too thick to put the sheetrock on easily, to the new wall being about an inch shorter than when it was in the other spot 5 feet away. Don't know why. ...And the sheetrock that was on the garage side (the 4x12 size) is 1/2 where the stuff on the other side is 3/4". Argh! But by the time I get through with it, it shouldn't be too noticeable. I'm looking at it as honing my drywall skills, not that I EVER want to do this again.

I can sympathize, marti! I don't think there's a level floor, or a plumb wall in our whole house.

Hang in there--the reward will be worth it.

o

Marti I think they build in a slight slope to garage floors to keep water from running into them or making it drain out when it comes in on the cars. That might be why your wall heights are different. Just a guess. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. You might get to rest just a little while the mud is drying.

o

Most of the time that's probably right Chris, but this one was supposed to be level. We wanted to be able to turn it into a mil apartment easily if needed.

This weekend, dh pitched in and we got an upper cabinet moved from the office side to the garage side, the folding table attached to the wall, two shelves reworked for storing lumber, and a shelf for holding folding tables.

o

Just an update. This is the wall after I finished sheetrocking and floating out the joints. The red arrows point out the only joint I couldn't flatten out. I guess that's what happens when you move a wall with a sledge hammer. ;) Dh did say that all the sheetrock was the same size, the wall was just wonky.
Photobucket

When I had finished the taping and bedding, and was thoroughly sick to death of sanding drywall mud, I started putting on the trim. Then I closed the door to the little entry area and realized I had never even looked behind it. Rats! More mud and tape.
Photobucket

Then I built a small workbench for the chop saw and scroll saw.
Photobucket

The cat supervised. He practices shop safety too.
Photobucket

o

well dang marti! if I can't get Jim out here, you'll sure do! I have some drywall in need of taping/mudding/sanding (just a small patch - not more'n a ft sq) plus some sawing and 'dooring' (hanging 2 doors, figuring out what to do about pantry door and knocking another one thru some drywall)!

come on out!

o

I'd be there in a flash - if you hadn't said drywall. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here