Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

small homes--how high would you go?

I really like the way that people are finally beginning to build tiny/small homes that have some style to them and don't just look like they belong to old hippies, but I'd be curious to know what y'all think about this tumbleweed in Maine.

I think the house is stunning, but the price seems quite insane to me, despite the river. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: tumbleweed for the wealthy

Comments (7)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

it's way over my budget! and so close to a river that might flood?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I found the river part confusing, too. Elsewhere the woman who built it says she put the mechanicals in the loft area because of that, and also to provide the basement for storage, but what's the point of that? It sure looks to me like that basement would have plenty of water in it several times a year.

• User
    9 years ago

As much of a water person as I am, the closeness of the river concerns me with this house too. I mean, look at the nature of the water flowing past the house. That can become mean quickly.

However, looking at the style of the house, not to buy this particular one, I see a lot of things that are interesting. Like the kitchen sconces. I bought 4 of those for my kitchen, in the chrome or brushed nickel, to be hardwired in. I also have a minimum of wall cabs, to keep down the claustrophobia of smaller spaces. I have 2 cabs uppers w/o doors.

So I like the ideas and the spareness of this house. It is not a cheap place. It is new construction. The Berkshires, western MA. Heavy snow there. Melt runoff in the spring. Always something. I imagine this is a second home, not a primary residence. Don't see much storage, do you?

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Well you all know how I feel about the water and this would totally freak me out. It is a great plan. I enjoyed the large open feeling kitchen. Very sparse furnishings. I liked the small house but would not want to live in it. I need more than this as my home. Not to mention the cost is crazy.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Very cute if you could afford it and if you did not need to store anything in the basement. Seems more like a summer home to me.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I remember thinking to myself how expensive the Tumbleweed Houses were and that was years ago.

• User
    9 years ago

Thought I'd just add this photo showing how basic it can get for a house when you have no resources. This was "back in the day" between 1960 and 1970 and housing for the poor was in the public eye.

Part of a series in the Library of Congress photo collection from the early Civil Rights Movement. There are many more to be seen.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living