Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Sarah Richardson's Farmhouse Kitchen

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Has anyone been watching this series on HGTV? I love the layout of the kitchen and dining room. With a few 'tweaks' it could work very well for my farmhouse. Of course, I'd like a woodstove, where the stairs to the basement are in her kitchen. Very cozy :)

Here's a website with some nice pictures of the farmhouse, including the kitchen. I like all the old parts of the house...the mudroom/entry, bath, bedrooms, kitchen and dining room. The rest is an addition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's Farmhouse

Comments (39)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There aren't any really good photos of the seating area in the kitchen, but I found this short video of the dining room. You can see the kitchen in the background. In my kitchen, the dining area would be more in the kitchen, with the window seat being the seating on one side of the table.

I love all the vintage corbels she uses in the kitchen and in the entrance to the dining room. Nice chandelier, too :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Short video of dining room

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, I have LOVED that series...the old house is beautiful, I really love the vintage farmhouse style. The kitchen is amazing, I just wish her resources weren't SOOO seemingly unlimited...

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

I LOVE Sarah Richardson. The woman can do almost no wrong in my book. I save all those Sarah's house episodes and refer to them often. What's interesting is that she really does do more high and low stuff than you might imagine. For instance, I absolutely fell in love with the dining room chairs in the farmhouse. And then I found out they are from Ikea! In one of her houses (the Victorian, I think) she used all Ikea cabinets for media storage in the family room as well as in the office. She even used Ikea kitchen cabinets (custom painted, of course) in one house.

What I love is when they go to flea markets and auctions and find these amazing treasures. Of course she turns around and has them reupholstered and repainted professionally at a high cost, but they are just awesome.

If I could choose any famous TV-star designer to do my house (unlimited budget of course!) it would be her, which is interested because I used to be such a Candace Olsen fan, but now I'm all about Sarah!

I wish they would hurry up and play Sarah's Cottage on HGTV in the U.S.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

I've never heard of her, but then I don't watch TV except for Survivor during season. I loved that entry with those red door cupboards and the wonderful piece between, with the carpeting. A great welcome to family and guests.

Her work is inspiring.

FlowerLady

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I also love Sarah Richardson. I can just listen/watch to her all day. I think every thing she touches becomes perfect. Wouldn't it be nice?? I have only watched a couple minutes of her show as it seems to come on at a time the man wants to watch something??? LOL

Thanks for bringing this up.

Chris

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I agree - she's by FAR the best HGTV offers! Of course, I don't have cable, but I've watched two seasons on hgtv.com.

• User
    13 years ago

Oh yeah, Sarah is wonderful. I remember when she was really young and had a series on HGTV, she was so fresh and original. Then she seemed to drop out of sight. Now she is back. I'm thinking that she was having a family? Because in part of the Farmhouse episodes, she appeared to be maybe pregnant, but very skillfully photographed so you could not really tell.

Anyway, I've always admired the way she thinks out loud which lets me in on her decision making process.

They had a set of her rooms on HOUZZ a couple of weeks ago. So many of you connect to the HOUZZ blog that I don't mention that often, but I am now a HOUZZ fan. I have the RSS feed on my homepage and get the email notices too. I highly recommend it to you if you enjoy eye candy....keeps you from having stacks of magazines all over the house.

• djsaw
    13 years ago

You can watch the episodes of Sarah's House on www.hgtv.com It shows the houses from seasons 2 and 3 I think. I would die for that chandelier in the farmhouse dining room. She also used IKEA cabinets in the kitchen of the farmhouse. Tida I think. Aplad(sp?) was used in the season 2 kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Episodes

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

This is great. Will enjoy watching the episodes on my computer. I love to listen to her voice and humor and ideas.

Thanks so much djsaw!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I watch her in re-runs on HGTV. I, too, love that she does 'field trips' and shows us the process. Thanks for all the links.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I just watched the first video for the farmhouse. I'm in shock. She paid $600 for a chest? Not crazy about the bathroom right inside the entry either, but then, I've lived with a bathroom in a similar location.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

I loved her farmhouse! Hearing those were IKEA cabinets just made my day! I thought it was way out of our budget, but Ikea is very reasonable. We would just have to find someone handy enough to make some accent details.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like the mudroom and would love to have something like that, with the half bath, for my front entry. It's so practical out in the country. We have clay soil and it's a mess between November and April! In the shots, where she and Tommy are sliding around in the mud hole...very realistic. LOL

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I couldn't remember where I found the link to the full episodes, but now I know! Thanks djsaw - I watched all day, in fact just finished watching the last three episodes tonight. Thanks so much posting. I sent the link to a friend, I know she'll love the show too.

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for this post! Sarah is my favorite designer and I have been following her on hgtv. The farmhouse is exactly my style--just wish I had her budget! Does anyone know if she is keeping the farmhouse or if she renovates to simply turn the property over for a profit? I can't imagine getting rid of it. Thanks again Lavender Lass. It is good to hear from others that they too are really taken with her decorating.

• User
    13 years ago

Hey Lavender.
    I watched the Sarah's House episode tonight. It was about her choices for the two bedrooms. Done with her usual joy and attention to detail, and of course she explained her thinking. I really do admire her. So fresh.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Did you hear the appraiser's comment that there was no garage? The whole time I didn't even think of that. Another big expense if the owner wanted another building on the lot. Perhaps Sarah didn't like the idea of a modern garage against the brick house, and I can see that.

• User
    13 years ago

I was browsing House Beautiful website, and ran across a LOT of info with pictures on kitchens. One feature was the farmhouse kitchen, with the link I give below. 8 photos.
    Different layout, it says.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmhouse kitchen, different layout

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Nice link ML. Love the sinks. Not sure I would need four but one of those would be wonderful.

• amarantha
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if the cabinets in her Farmhouse kitchen really are Ikea? And if so are they Tidaholm. I only have seen anecdotes but not confirmation. If anyone knows for certain I would appreciate you posting. I'm talking about the kitchen with the yellow island that lavender_lass linked in her first post. (not the one linked to HouseBeautiful website)

Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

According to the show, Sarah and Tommy (her assistant) bought the cabinets at Ikea. They even show, the two comparing two cabinet doors...but they ended up getting the wrong one, painting them...and having to start all over. They finally ended up with the right drawer and door fronts! What a mess :)

If you check out the video on HGTV, they look for cabinets in probably the first five minutes of the show. They wanted (and finally ended up with) the cabinet doors that were more Shaker and well made, then the thin veneer doors. Hope that helps!

Oh, and I think there's a link to the videos on the Cottage Garden Forum, conversation side. I remember Schoolhouse saying she was watching them.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

I loved her Farmhouse series, I didn't know until this past week (when HGTV aired a couple episodes) that she has (or had) a show called 'design inc.' (link below). Does anyone know if it's still in production?

Here is a link that might be useful: design inc.

• traceee
    13 years ago

Anybody else wish she had picked "tommy's green" for the kitchen instead of the yellow? Everytime the kitchen rerun comes on I watch it hoping she will change her mind and go with the green! I am the world's WORSE decorator and I have NO right, but she pulls you in when she is shopping so you feel like you are there with her!!!

Love her and Bromstad of course!!!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The fern print would have been pretty! I didn't like the green paint colors, but if the fabric had been available, she would have picked a better shade of green.

The kitchen is beautiful...but it looks a lot like the upstairs bath :)

• User
    13 years ago

Traceee, I'm with you on Sarah and Bromstad. Both have a joy of life in their work. I am a fan of yellow kitchens/white trim/stainless appliances. Not a fan of green or blue.

DJ, thanks so much for the link to full episodes online for Sarah's shows.

GhostlyVision, I've watched Sarah's different shows for many years now. She seemed to disappear for a few years, or maybe it was I who disappeared....dropped cable for a period of time....and she has really matured. I remember watching Design INC or something similar in the past.

Another one I liked who seems to be producing now, is Debbie TRavis. If you like books, I recommend checking out one by the British lady, Jocasta Innes....PAINT MAGIC...or her NEW PAINT MAGIC. She knows a LOT about painting EVERYTHING. My copies have my personal notes in the margins of just about every page.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

moccasinlanding - thanks, I hadn't seen or heard of design inc. until this past week and just wondered if it was current or out of production now.

I love Debbie Travis!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I love Debbie Travis too! What is the name of her new show? I don't have cable, but maybe I can find some episodes online.

• hogar
    13 years ago

Hi, does anyone knows the name of the fabric that she used in the yellow farmhouse kitchen? Love it!. I'm also adding a roman shade to my kitchen window above the sink and would love a fabric similar to the one she used (without the yellow color flower, maybe a rust or green one?)..any other fabric suggestions? Thanks :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the episode, she was looking around a large fabric store or outlet, in Canada. There were several different choices, but I don't know if there were other colors, in the same pattern. There were in the dining room, but that probably doesn't help much!

I'll check tonight...or you can download the episodes on HGTV. They might have a product list on the website, too :)

• User
    13 years ago

Ghostlyvision, not sure if the production date, but I've been watching episodes of Sarah's Design INC every week. On HGTV.
    So far, all programs were new to me.

And I have not seen any episodes featuring Debby Travis on any channel this year....or last year either. Too bad. However, I do enjoy watching Candace Olsen, who has a new series just now beginning.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hogar- I saw the fabric, but I couldn't read the tag, to see what company makes it. It did come in at least two other color schemes, but not with the cream background. They had pink flowers on a light green background and lavender flowers on a pale blue background. Pretty, but not as striking as the cream and yellow :)

• hogar
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Lavender for checking it for me. I have set my tv to record all the series of Our house shows from Sarah RIchardson. Any suggestions of brands where I can search for fabrics similar to the one in the kitchen farmhouse. I just search under schumacher fabrics with no luck. I'll search under Kravet next. Thanks!!!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd look under Waverly and maybe Hancock. It may not be the same fabric, but Waverly especially, should have something similar :)

• yogieb_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

The kitchen window fabric is by Telio. Pattern name is Harlequin Amaranta Fiore 9202.

• User
    13 years ago

What a happy thing to discover the designer of this fabric.
    I just Googled "telia fabric" and wow, the results were multitudinous! Thanks, Amy B, for sharing your knowledge.

Here is the one I located online, probably the lavender colorway, because it looks like a wisteria to me.

Fascinating to discover this series of fabrics based on old floral documents. Really like them. To find that particular fabric, I put into the search box "Harlequin fabric 9200"

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

That's really pretty fabric. Not what I would expect with the name Harlequin.

• User
    13 years ago

Marti, I'm thinking the designer is Telia, (last name) and the manufacturing company is Harlequin. It had a couple of floral terms going with a lot of the index entries.
    Amaranth and fiore are two of them.

• barbcollins
    13 years ago

I loved watching Sarah's House. She spends a lot more than I do, but she does show ways to save money. I get the feeling she is very "down to earth".

I see there is a "Sarah's Cottage" show. It has not been on HGTV in the US. I tried to watch it on the internet but it didn't work.

Also miss watching Debbie Travis, I wish she would do more shows.