Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny Houses on HGTV!

Posted by enigmaquandry (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 14:49

I just saw that "tiny houses" made an appearance for the designer's challenge on design star. Exciting they're getting some attention!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny Houses on HGTV!

I agree that is exciting. If they come up with some neat ideas, folks might pay more attention to the very different needs of smaller homes.

I hope they make that episode of Design Star available for ON DEMAND. Thanks for the heads up, I will try to watch it.

o
Candice Olsen Kitchen Bath online

I got an email from HGTV that said Candice was listing the features of a good small kitchen design. I visited the link on her part of HGTV, and came away with a few pointers.

As usual, she created a fantastic looking room. First pointer was: minimize the contrast. So there was little difference between the cabs, counters, floors, or any wall paint or displayed items. Two: she varied the floor with two different squares of color, ON THE DIAGONAL, to lead the eye in a longer line Three: she added functionality where the counters were uncluttered, the cooking odors vented outside, more than one cook accommodated, and the recycled goods and trash were given convenient space.

It was sort of a galley design, which was of interest to me, because my future kitchen might have to be a galley.

Candice always gives great eye candy to her fans, and there is the entire 30 minute program online. Worth viewing.

o

Can you post the link here?

o

Marti, I'll link to Candice's HGTV program page.
Look down it to BIG DESIGN IDEAS...SMALL KITCHENS.
It was the program of Aug 31st. Shown in "Recent Episodes."

I watched the whole program on my computer so I know it is there. But I deleted the email/newsletter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Ideas...Small Kitchens

o

Thanks, that was great. I love the way they made the new cabinets match the original ones.

o

I think that episode of CANDICE TELLS ALL will air again on Sept 28? You might check your local cable lineup.

o

You can watch the episode right here:

http://www.tinyhousetalk.com/hgtv-design-star-tiny-house-challenge-full-episode-s06e09/

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV Design Star Tiny Houses - Full Episode - Season 6 Episode 9

o

Yes, but they didn't take them seriously. There wasn't one of their houses that you could really live in. These aren't as glam, but people do live in them, and I think the winner did a much better job than any of the Design Star folks. I was actually pretty disappointed with the HGTV episode: to me the main shortcoming of so much of the tiny house mvt is a tendency to live like you're in a college dorm or an over-the-hill hippy from the 60s. It would have been a great chance to show how to live small with style and instead it was just an attempt to impress the judges.

Here is a link that might be useful: tumbleweed small house contest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here