Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This probably belongs on the Reno board, but...

Posted by young-gardener (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 14:31

Does anyone know what this dark stuff on our wood is and if sanding will remove it?

Today, I uncovered it during a wall project. I'd LOVE to expose the wood if we can. This is the last room without wood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This probably belongs on the Reno board, but...

Is the tile on top of the wood floor or is there plywood between the wood floor and the tile? Or is that vinyl flooring between? Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like mastic.

If there is any chance that was put down before 1980, the VERY first thing I would do is get it tested for asbestos.

If no asbestos, and it is mastic, it can be sanded off.

o

Hi, Marti!
From top to bottom we have: tile/mastic, linoleum, plywood, black/dirty goo, hardwood.

I hadn't thought of asbestos. I'll look into that.

o

I think I'd either ask on the remodeling or old house forum, or find a construction forum somewhere else. There might be another way to remove it that doesn't involve sanding.

o

I removed black goo from my pine floors by covering the area with wet rags for a few days. Then I was able to wipe up most of it, scrape the rest. I had similar layers in a 1930s house. Your goo may be different from mine however. Good luck!

o

Thanks for the tip, Maureen! I also read on the reno board that a steamer helps. I never would have thought of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here