Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Old Fashioned Way or...New Gadgets?

User
13 years ago

This is something that came to mind after reading about Flgargoyle and the GPS.

When it comes to the kitchen, I basically like the old fashioned way of doing things. No electric knives, no electric can openers, no Teflon. Just a few electric pots and pans will do, plus the microwave and coffee pot. But the reason I want a gas stove is to do wok cooking and use my tiny Bialetti espresso coffee pot on the burner, not one of those fancy space-age coffeemakers.

Then again ELECTRONIC GADGETS outside the kitchen are fascinating. Unlike my DH, who has a background in space-age things, yet could not care less about having a GPS or a DVD/BluRay player that can connect you to the Internet and stream movies to your TV. And put your caller ID information up on the TV screen (if it is on).

My brother is sort of like me. He is into fancy cars which go really fast, and sound systems, and outside lighting which comes on when anyone drives up. He won't let me touch his stereo because I have a track record of magnetizing things and they then go kaput, don't know why, but can only wear a few watches for that reason.

I love my Blackberry and my cordless phone, I love my Garmin GPS, I love my laptop, I love my digital camera, and I love/hate the software that goes with these things. I especially love the wireless router which keeps cords at a minimum to the printer, the computer, the TV.

Wires and cables are a man thing designed to drive women nuts. I believe the cordless/wireless revolution is a female innovation because we hate those wires running everywhere. So in that respect, I am into the wireless gadgets.

Comments (40)

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

LOL ML I was just asking DH what this Tivo and DVR thing is. I am so behind the times. We do have laptops and an abundance of them. I need to deal with that some day. Just a pain to take all the information off them. We do have a wireless router to the computers. The printer is in my studio and if I need to print something I take laptop to it.

Nothing wireless to TV and only satellite box from Dish Network. VCR is on old TV in guest room but about to leave from there.It has not been used in over a year.

We do have a GPS unit and my husband had a locator beacon he wears when riding his snowmobile in case of avalanche. We do not use the GPS but we did play with it a few years ago.

We have the most basic cell phone. There happens to be a camera in it but we have never used it.I do love my digital camera. And I also have an external CD burner in the studio all set with the printer and take my laptop to it when needed. This laptop has built in burner the older ones do not. But all that is tucked in under my table in the studio out of the way and one USB cord to a hub for all.

I guess we are mostly techno challenged here.

• idie2live
    13 years ago

I love kitchen gadgets! And they don't even have to be electronic. Every time I think about the bacon press (too much trouble) or low-pressure cooker (why bother), double sided crock pot (????) slicers, peelers..... But every time I come across a kitchen store I still go in to try and find a treasure!
    One thing I have been thinking about is a Kindle (electronic reader). I have a couple of friends who have them and really like them, but I wonder if you get the same feeling you get from holding a book in your hands.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I'm not big on gadgets, but I do like my electric appliances. I don't think I could cook without my KitchenAid Mixer. I don't see how women used to mix stuff, especially bread dough, without a mixer. I guess I'm a weakling.

Sometimes I try to talk myself out of my microwave and dishwasher, because it seems such a waste of space to use a micro just for making tea & popcorn.

But I also prefer hand operated can openers and just knives. I think more because of the space they take up than anything else.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

We have a few kitchen appliances that I really like. Like Marti, we have a KitchenAid mixer that's tough to beat (pun intended). That, and a good food processor. I start my bread dough in the mixer, but finish it by hand, so I can get a feel for it. We have a bread machine, but I'm not crazy about the results.

As you all probably know by now, neither of us is big on electronic gadgets. That being said, someone needs to make a splash-proof kitchen computer! It could mount under an overhead cabinet, and swing down for use. You could store all of your recipes in it, and check ingredients off as you add them, so you don't have to play 'Did I already put the salt in?' Of course, I'm so far behind the times, maybe everyone already has a kitchen computer!

• gryane
    13 years ago

I love my laptop and DVR and now we are signed up for streaming netflix which is very cool.

In the kitchen I tend to go old school. I don't have a mixer and rarely use my food processor even though I do a lot of canning and tons of cooking. I think I forget to use it sometimes. We haven't owned a microwave for almost 20 years and haven't missed it for one minute.

I probably should have a GPS but don't have one yet. I am about to jump into the 21st century and get a "smart phone" finally.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I can't imagine living without a microwave. We are fairly young so we've grown up in the microwave generation and we eat a lot of frozen dinners (stouffer's, etc.). I hate using the whole stove just for one thing like that. We don't have electric can openers though...I refuse to allow it in my house! It's kinda silly. No food processors either. Just the usual kitchen stuff.

Of course, being younger, we also usually jump into electronics earlier than other people. I've had a smartphone for a while now and can't imagine how I lived without it! It has GPS in it so no need to get a separate GPS unit (although I know the area very well so rarely need it). It also has a decent camera and camcorder in it, in addition to internet, email, etc. I use it for so much stuff.

I love computers/laptops too. Not that into TV but partner is so we have a decent TV.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Yep, put me on the KitchenAid list too. A crock pot, and an electric serving tray that only gets used for parties. That's about it. Everything else is basic, and even if I wanted another gadget, I'm unfortunately being brainwashed by Alton Brown from Good Eats. NO UNI-TASKERS! LOL

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

I forgot to add the kitchen gadgets. I do have a food processor and blender I have had both for 30 years or so.I do use them. Still work great. I also have a slow cooker on base.Microwave and old hand mixer.Toaster.Two coffee pots. One the old percolator and one a BUN. We use the bun.I love the percolator.I used to take coffee out to the guys in it when they would be out in the shop working or just visiting. And some times I get crazy and cook camp coffee out on the porch on the stove out there. Tastes different. No electric can opener. I also have the assorted canning kettles and jar lifters and wide funnels and all of that. Also a pressure cooker I do not use. Needs a pop off valve replaced.So I guess I might be a kitchen gadget junkie.

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

This thread is in an odd place, or at least it is on my monitor. Just bumping to see if it moves just this thread or the whole list.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gryane sez: "I love my laptop and DVR and now we are signed up for streaming netflix which is very cool. "

Gryane, I can do that too. I got a Vizio Blu-Ray disk player and it connects to the Internet and can get my Netflix list of streaming movies I want to watch. I see them on my really big HD TV, and love it. I can also stream Netflix to my computer and watch them on that, or even connect the computer to the RGB computer connector on the TV and view whatever is on my monitor on the TV too.

Sone of the smart phones are able to do the GPS thingy, but to get it to guide you on trips, your phone service sometimes charges about $10/month. ATT did that with MY phone, so I dropped it. Be sure if you take photos and upload them to your Facebook or Twitter accounts that you know whether the geotagging info is turned on or off. You might not want someone to know exactly where you live, or where you are at any specificc point in time.

I love my Garmin GPS Nuvi, because it can store and play books (Audible.com) and also music. I could connect it to my car radio, but that means if I am on the highway that cars near me will be receiving my BluTooth phone reception too, even though it can be used as a remote handsfree device for the phone. My Nuvi is also stereo, and I do not route it through the car radio.

Of late, I've created a couple of new "routes" for my trips to Iowa and onward to Massachusetts, or just from Alabama to Massachusetts. I did that on my computer. After I get all the routes I want to upload, I will connect the Nuvi to my laptop and upload all the routes to the GPS. I am forcing it to follow the route I prefer by interim "via" points, instead of a simple start and finish point.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

PHEW ML you are so far over my head on this technology. Amazing how it all can work together. Still remembering back when I first found out about the internet. LOL Our town is a bit behind the times. We just got fiber to the house a few months ago.

Chris

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

mocassin, on most new smartphones (not all of them though), especially Android smartphones, driving directions via GPS are provided through Google Maps. Sometimes the carriers lock this out though so they can nickel and dime you that $10, but I am not too sure if it's common or not.

A huge problem for people who travel a lot that use their phone as a GPS unit is that 99% of smart phone GPS programs are not able to work properly when there is no wireless signal, so when you go in a dead zone, say bye bye.

There is one phone that puts it all together by Tmobile, the Garmin Nuviphone, I believe, that is a smartphone based on Android PLUS it has a real GPS nuvi guidance system that doesn't depend on the carrier's wireless network.

It's all just so interesting! God, I'm such a nerd!

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

Here's where I stand. I'm 41 yrs old (born in 1969) if that factors into anything:

KITCHEN: I'm pretty old-school in the kitchen. I don't have a microwave by choice. I have a blender, toaster, crockpot, and bread maker. My hand utensils are simple. I own 4 cooking knives, some nice basic cookware, and baking pans I need & use regularly. Simple is easier for me...and I love to cook.

I was a pre-teen when the microwaves came out. My memories are of mom trying to cook beautiful browned roasts in 30 mins out of those fantastic pictured cookbooks that came with the microwave...with terrible results. To me, a microwave is nothing more than an oversized electric water-heater-upper and butter-melter. I prefer to heat & cook on the stove.

GPS: I travel a lot for work, so I LOVE mine & use it several times a week. For me, it simply saves time in prep (ie Mapquest printouts and/or phone calls to clients for directions). I still refer to my paper state map now & then because I still want to know where I am in the solid grand scheme of it all.

PHONE: I had the big data package & touchscreen phone the last couple years. It was fun for 6 months, then the magic was gone. I fulfilled my contract like a good girl, then scaled back to a plain phone with buttons, voice mail, and limited texting. I'm glad I tried it, but all the things available on those phones are better done on a computer with a screen I can see well. ALSO...with no landline at home, I never found an easy way to teach my 4 yr old (who can't read yet) to navigate thru touchscreen menus to dial 911.

TV & MUSIC: No interest whatsoever. Don't care about high-def and so forth. As long as it works & I can watch a DVD without accidentally taking the system down, I'm happy. I get advice when it's time to replace something to make sure I'm not making a bad choice for the future, but I don't make a point to keep up on the play-by-play changes in the equipment.

SUMMARY: I am very open to what's new out there, and not afraid to try things & learn more about what could improve my quality of life. I'm thankful I have the money to spend on things, but I will not throw away my money on something that's not contributing to the household & career in some measurable way.

Gayle

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gayle, presently my only oven is a microwave/convection Sharp. I plan to get a full gas stove including an oven at some point in the future, but for now only have a 2 burner electric hotplate.

But my DH loves the convection/mwave oven. He says it cooks the best turkey he's ever eaten. And he LOVES to do the turkeys at regular intervals during the year. Me, the last time I cooked one I found the giblet package still inside afterward. But his turkey always comes out perfect. I bought a second Sharp combo oven for his Cape up in Mass.

I was interested in getting the Motorola Droid phone, which is based on the same sort of technology you mentioned. But I fixed the rollerball on my Blackberry, and I continue to use it, even though it is now 3 years old.

I was very surprised to learn that my brother, who recently had two knee replacement operations and after Katrina had two operations to reattach his muscles to the rotator cuff (?) in his arms, is now the proud owner and operator of a Wii setup. It gives him some exercise, he says, without having to be out in the heat, rain, and mosquitos of swampy south Louisiana. He plays with his three granddaughters when they visit him. No generation gap in his house.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

We use our microwave every day! I have quick oatmeal every morning, and wouldn't have time for it if I had to heat the water on the stove. 2 minutes, and breakfast is ready!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jay, I like the quick oatmeal too. And the instant grits.
    But I don't microwave it. I have a "hot pot" which does the boiling water in less than a minute, even with the pot full. And then I pur it into the bowl. When I do the grits, I frequently break an egg and stir it up quickly, and it cooks it and the grits are really fluffy then. I'm sure I could also make those instant mashed potatos that way, but have not tried it.

My parrots love to eat oatmeal, and grits. I have to share.

• Beemer
    13 years ago

I'm moving into a tiny kitchen next year (9 x 9.5 with cabinets on only 2 sides). With storage space at a premium, I need to determine what is truly needed.

Kitchenaid mixer - will sit on counter all the time -- make bread twice a week. With arthritis in wrists and fingers, can't knead bread much anymore.

Microwave -- always thawing foods, reheating, etc...

Blender -- use it for fruit smoothies / shakes.

Imersion blender/whisk/chopper. This new item has really made life simple. It may replace the full size blender.

Rice cooker -- love it! Get perfect rice all the time with no scorching!

Ronco rotisserie -- use it at least weekly. Love it too-can put it outside to cook in summer and have no added heat in the house. Set it and forget it!

Cofee maker -- hubby makes his own drip. He also uses an electric grinder.

Toaster-in cabinet most of the time.

Waffle maker -- Also use this to make turtle cookies.

Food dehydrator -- half of my garden produce goes into this. I don't can. I freeze the rest.

Meat slicer -- use it once or twice a week. We make/cut our own lunch meats and slice our own cheeses because of food allegies.

Mouli -- old school, hand cranked grater/shredder. No need for food processor.

Don't use electic fry pans, deep fat fryers, bread machines, food processors, toaster ovens, juicers, pizza machines, pasta makers, salad shooters, yogurt makers, pressure cookers, electric knives, hot pots, or electric tea kettles.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beemer, you have it organized and know what you need. I think that is a requirement in our smaller homes.

I agree with the rice cooker, the immersion blender (now THAT is a handy gadjet kept in my silverware drawer), the m/wave, the coffee maker. I have a 4-slice toaster. But none of the others, except a covered electric fry pan which is what we use as a griddle for bacon and french toast, both specialties by DH. I do have a hot pot, because DH drinks (shudder) INSTANT coffee, something I choose NOT to do. I have an old orange blender from Sears but haven't used it in several years. Maybe one day before it goes kaput.

I have a mandoline, which I use cautiously, and would love to have a MOULI, because I like the sound of the word MOULI. :)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Have to keep the microwave! In my kitchen plans, I'm treating it like a 'red-headed stepchild'--trying to figure out how to get it off the counter and out of my way--my hubby wants it front and center, though.

I once read that birth-control and the microwave are the two inventions that have most shaped modern life, both allowing a woman to have more freedom and choice.

Back to appliances: I love my Kitchenaid mixer--it stays out. Occasionally use a blender, crock-pot, electric skillet, electric griddle and toaster. We didn't have a toaster for several years, until the kids came along and realized that Granny made a special thing called 'toast' for breakfast.

I love my 'old-fashioned' crank-style apple-peeler which I use this time of year to peel and core apples for the electric dehydrators (oops, more new gadgets), my crank-style pasta maker that used to belong to my neighbor, and my 10-cent, yard-sale mandolin/finger-shredder. My favorite old gadget is a double-wheeled coffee-grinder that we have used, although it's much easier to use the little electric Krupps.

I didn't have a cell phone until my daughters asked for them about 5 years ago, and we signed up for a family plan.

Until the digital TV shake-up last year, we rec'd only a couple of local channels and PBS--I would never have opted for satellite or cable. After watching HGTV, and wanting to check out their websites, I discovered the whole world of the internet, which led me to Gardenweb, and all you wonderful people :-D

It takes me a while to catch on to new innovations, but I can tell you that I DON'T want to carry wood for a stove anymore, or hang clothes on a line in freezing weather--I like the gas-log FP, and the electric washer and dryer.

I'm trying to take my kitchen back to a more vintage 'look'--but I want the modern conveniences in there, somewhere.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MamaGoose, until the cable company made it cheaper to get the three services for what it was previously costing me to just have the house phone, I was not into digital either. Now I'm cooking with cable, so to speak. Cable phone, cable internet, and cable TV with HDTV. When we drop all three services in our second house up north, it will be a really big savings. I

I still have my Blackberry with ATT, but do not do any texting or online stuff with it. However, it is now my primary address book, and a really fine alarm clock. I sort of use it like a PDA.

I'm glad you watch HGTV and thus found GWeb. We'd miss you if you were not around.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I could survive w/o a regular oven before the mw! I use it daily. haven't used my litte oven in months. of course, it's too hot here to use it in the summer since there's no a/c out there.

I think I'm gonna go back to just knives too. I have about 3 of those.

my sister gave me one of those airwave ovens and I'll try to use that when I get settled in the new place.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I have cooked with a pressure cooker my entire cooking life. Am on my 3rd and would never do without one. It is amazing to me that the new ones which have absolutely no electronics or look any different, cook in half the time now.

10 years ago I bought a double oven Maytag and won't be without this either. Got rid of my toaster because the stove toasts. It is as fast as a MW for reheating leftover pizza or food better off in the oven (frozen waffles,ect). And I can toast a dozen slices of anything all at once. Love having two options for ovens when a large dinner happens too. I also think using the smaller oven is a big savings on utilities....it is the one used for everything but big items.

Can't be without the MW.
    Can't be without the hot water dispenser on the sink, quick for canned soups, tea, etc.
    Waffle maker and electric grill get plenty of use to hang around.
    My old hand can opener will stay.

After paying for land line, sat TV and cell, I got tired of the increases in price. Now use the internet for everything and at a pitance (Just my Tivo for recording has to be paid for). Have found everything on Sat is also streaming on the net. So the living room TV is connected to the old computer. I even dumped Netflix because the movies are also on various websites. Local stations are hooked up to a flat panel ariel that sits by the TV, the size of a sheet of paper.

All this from someone who was in IT her whole life. We will see more options show up, but I'm gettin old, less apt at the computer and new things as time goes by. Or my patience is lacking for learning all the new.

My daughter has a Kindle and loves it. She is legally blind and I never considered what a blessing this was for her. Her whole life has been filled with books and reading. NOw she says she doesn't have to have a huge book laying on her chest to read...just the Kindle with the font size needed. And her laptop for recipes in large print...

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

"less apt at the computer and new things as time goes by"

I'm the same. didn't work in IT, but did take programming, operated a 34 and did input long before regular people did - even back on the old card punch machines. I also used to take my own computer apart to fix. got first home computer in '82.

now just trying to read instructions on hooking one up irritates me - lol! confuses me is probably a better description!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steph, a home computer in 1982? That was the very beginning when I remember the guys where I worked talking about getting their stock quotes ONLINE, and wondered what they meant. I forget when I got my first home computer, but it was an IBM with 3 gig of storage!!!! Whole hard drive.

I had a modem at the library where I worked, it took the phone handset and plugged into it, and I did searches on Chemical Abstracts and other scientific databases for the chemists and engineers that I served as the research librarian. I was really gung-ho for organizing inhouse technical documents too.

We took those punch cards and made Christmas wreaths with them, spray painted them gold.

Now I'm thinking I might have to get a KitchenAid mixer, maybe a pressure pan (not a big pressure canner). I've always felt smaller ovens were better than big ones. But I really learned how to figure my power consumption when I lived on the houseboat and had only 30 amps of power. You quickly learn that using a hairdryer means you must turn off the a/c and either the 110 stove or the water heater. And in the wintertime, one 15 amp space heater had to do, if you wanted to take a hot shower. And you had to make 100 gallons of water last for 2 weeks if the dock water lines burst too.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

beemer, moccasin - what rice cookers do you use?

I like to make it for my dogs too but it usually isn't that good. they don't mind, but I do!

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Steph, rice is so good for our dogs and a cheap alternative to the filling in dog food.

And both you/Moccasin....I felt really old talking about punch cards when my son reminded me he was taught programming on them too. I worked for Novell, one of first in internet. They only had 50 people then, grew to 2500. MS stomped them when they weren't looking. But the whole transition is a history book of it's own, my favorite memory is flinging wires from the top of one building to the other so we could talk to each other and share docs.

Never did I think High Tech would go this far. Just seeing the first icon or photo on email was shear enthusiam...what we do now is beyond my thinking at times.

What is a pressure pan? Now I have to go look it up.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Emagineer, when I think of pressure cookers, what comes to mind are the big containers used for canning, in jars. There is a real temp gauge on top, you clamp down the lid with latches all around the perimeter. I suppose there is a relief valve which blows out in an emergency, but don't recall seeing one.

A pressure pan has a relief valve for sure, and it has a weighted 5-10-15 pound stopper for the valve on the lid. There is a rubber gasket in the lid, and notches on the flange of the pot. Long handles made of a heat resistant material are on both lid and pan. You set the lid on the pan at an angle, and then lock it in place by turning it to mate with the pan handle. Then you set the stopper in place.
    I blew up one of these when I cooked lima beans in it. The beans plugged up the pressure vent and then the relief valve blew out. This sent beans flying in every direction in the kitchen, and our little hamster was near the disaster scene, so he jumped on his little squirrel cage and got out of town fast. He was not hurt, but I sure had a mess to clean up. In a pressure pan, you don't put food in glass jars. In a pressure cooker, you are canning in jars.
    Maybe my definition is too old for prime time these days?

And the brand of rice cooker that I use is the Aroma. It does the rice very quickly, and it is always perfect. Plus I don't have any mess on the stove to clean up.

My grandma always told me I had to wash the rice SEVEN TIMES. The directions for the cooker say to wash until the white starchy look is gone from the water. I count each wash and it is usually SEVEN TIMES that I do it. So my grandma was right. A specific number of washings is a better bet for novice cooks, than estimating when the water is clear enough.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Yes, what you have is what I call a pressure cooker. It is small though and would never hold more than 4 jars for canning, isn't meant for such. Perfect for roasts, chicken, etc. and a lot of soup in the winter. What I love is the broth still in them for gravies, etc.

I've never had one blow, this is usually due to something already stuck in there. Throw mine in the dishwasher after each use. My kids are afraid of mine and will never use one....they are 45+ yrs old.

Newer pressure cookers are easy and a dream. Definitely not our grandma's.

The last years that I canned I didn't even use a hot bath. I put the jars/lids in the dishwasher on sanitary/hot bath and used them immediately. They sealed as well as the pressure cooker. And some of my canning went to plastic freezer bags which was so much easier.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I remember my grandmother had both a pressure-cooker and a pressure-canner. The cooker had long handles, like a saucepan, and the canner had handles like a stockpot. I also remember something hitting the ceiling, hash/potatoes, maybe, so I don't use one, either.

I've canned with the water-bath canner, but I much prefer frozen fruits and veggies, if I can find room in the freezer. The down side to this is not only the energy required to run a freezer, but depending on nature, and the electric company's ability to get downed lines repaired in a timely manor.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

...timely MANNER! Who named their house 'Timely Manor?'

• emagineer
    13 years ago

"Timely Manor"....what a great name. I don't remember anyone using this or hearing such.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I found it! I had seen it in another 'Name Your House' thread in the Old House Forum.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A couple of comments are in order here:

First, I think my concept of a "pressure cooker" needs to be updated. I guess I was recalling the "pressure CANNER" that was my total experience with pressure pans of any sort, until I got a long handled pressure pan as a wedding present way back in 1958.

And the TIMELY MANOR....what a great name for a house! You caught it yourself, MamaGoose, and then you tracked it down in that other naming thread. It is a truly inspired name. With hints of British humor, much like Fawlty Arms. It could be a TV series.

Also, because of THIS THREAD, I cruised by the small appliances in my trip to the WalMart pharmacy yesterday. I saw the KitchenAid mixer, sitting there in all its glory. Everything else cost under a hundred bucks, but the KA cost $199.99 so they are still proud of it. Any thoughts I had of buying it must wait until I get the kitchen done. I sure did like the looks of the stainless bowl and the heavy duty blades. It is a design which has endured.

I also looked at other small appliances. You know, they make so many different shapes in SLOW COOKERS....what I used to call the CROCK POT is actually a BRAND NAME, like saying I want a COKE when I want a SODA POP. I have a "slow cooker" now which can bake cornbread or otherwise act as a tiny lidded oven. It really can get confusing if what you want to do is take all day to cook something and avoid burning it. Some things should not multitask, they should stay the same!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I've noticed qvc has a pressure cooker they say won't explode - new technology. I've never used one and don't think I need one either.

I do want to make some apricot butter this next yr. I got rid of my canner bath pan and tongs yrs ago - along with my stainer gizmo. will need a new one of those I think. While I used to make jelly etc in quart jars, now I'll have to get some itty bitty jars - a cup? half cup? for me and to give to my sister. I think I figured out I could freeze the pulp and make some up every few months. don't think I should have to water bath it that way.

my dogs love rice. I'll check the cookers out after I get settled in the new place. no sense getting one now, I'd probably lose it somewhere between here and 15' in front of here... then I can make up a big batch and share it with them!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steph, I much prefer rice to potatos.
    While I worked in south Louisiana on boats, it was a lot more common to have a big supply of rice than potatos on board.

The shrimpers who would go out for long periods of time could not take potatos in their larder because they would rot very quickly. Rice, however, would last. And it stored nicely too. So I realized after a while that the choice of rice made a lot of sense economically as well as nutritionally. So many of the fantastic Cajun recipes are based on rice.

It is very easy to fix rice and that is a plus too.
    And using left over rice is also not wasted.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I seldom eat potatoes anymore - unless at my sister's. my BIL makes them - reg and sweet potatoes. I bring home left over swt potatoes and the left over jackets of those we ate. the dogs love 'em and they're good for them.

I like rice - it's easier for me being single and I love it mixed with some veggies, mushrooms and sometimes a few bits of chicken. and it's good to share with the 'kids'. I think they must get tired of the 'ol dry food all of the time. since girl got sick i've added some canned food to hers (she has trouble keeping the kibbles in her mouth - it comes flying out). It wets down and weights down the kibbles some and her meds stick to it.

i've been chopping carrots for them too - they love that.

and barley, I make them barley (and make me barley veggie soup).

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

ML, I think I'm going to start referring to my home as 'Untimely Manor,' in honor of our stalled kitchen re-do.

My Kitchenaid mixer is about 25 years old, and with the exception of some unreachable grunge in the seams, and a small paint scuff, seems good as new. You might consider checking craigslist for one--if you're lucky you'll find a new one that some 'non-baking type' rec'd as a wedding gift, and doesn't have a clue what to do with! :0 I checked craigslist prices on Statewidelist for Ohio, and found a range of $35 (no attachments/white) to $600 (6qt/cobalt), depending size and condition (seller's word, of course.)

On the rice or potatoes issue, I love them both! I usually boil the whole 10 lbs of potatoes in their jackets, then peel and mash, or refrigerate and use later. I love to use barley and/or rice in soups. How about tapioca? I like to use it in fruit pies and puddings.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

...make that $300 for the 6qt/cobalt mixer--just in case anyone is interested :D

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MamaGoose, that is a good option, checking eBay....I'm leary of checking anything on CraigsList.

And I think they'd have to pay ME to put a BLUE ANYTHING in my house. I'm more into the white smaller appliances. :)

You have a lot more family coming to eat all those taters, and I gave up even buying them. I buy a premade mustard potato salad to satisfy my urge for potatos.

I remember the first time I made soup with barley. I started with a small pan, and had to keep scaling up UP UP as the pot grew larger and larger. I used to make what I called REFRIGERATOR VEGGIE SOUP. When it was time to clean out the fridge and go shopping, I did the soup from leftovers....just like my grandma taught me to do.....and of course a couple of cans of stewed tomatos for good measure. By the time it was ready, I'd messed up every pot in the kitchen, right up to the biggest stock pot I had.
    I do make good soup though.

And when I made chili with beans on the boat, I thought I'd make a huge pot of it to have some left over to freeze for those days we were in rough seas and could not cook. HUH!!!
    I made the beans, a whole package dried kidney beans, then 10 pounds of ground chili meat, about 3 onions big ones, and several cans of diced and stewed tomatos. The pot was brim full when it was cooked. And you know what? The crew of four people plus our dispatcher, ATE EVERY BITE OF IT?
    And I had nothing to freeze? It sure was fine chili!!!

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

Our KitchenAid is 28 years old, and considering I use it to handle my 4-1/2 lb. French Country Bread dough, it's proven it's worth. I've read on other forums that the newer ones aren't nearly as rugged. My SIL has a newer one, and it runs too fast- on the slowest setting, flour flies everywhere, and her bowl seems smaller. I plan to keep mine forever, replacing parts as needed. So far, it hasn't needed any.

We rarely eat 'white' starches anymore, but when we have rice, we use Basmati. It's worth it for the fragrance alone!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia