Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Cottage Bliss--What Makes A House A Cottage

User
13 years ago

Folks, I rushed to share this before I even had my coffee.

In HOUZZ this morning is the blog subject as shown above, and it is illustrated with SEVENTEEN LOVELY COTTAGE HOMES that could well belong to several of YOU. Yeah, they had a very familiar look to them.

So do not hesitate to go visit and then imagine your place with a fresh eye. The blogger has cottage style down to a T, and I love it.

Maybe you can share some of the photos of YOUR home with her, and become part of her inspiration file. So many of you are inspirations to others on this forum, so share the wealth.

Here is a link that might be useful: HOUZZ blog--Cottage Bliss

Comments (14)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Those are great ML. There is one there I especially like.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

There are some really nice cottages there. Great link.

FlowerLady

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

I lOVE the first one, oooooooooooh the stunningness...

• traceee
    13 years ago

Those were beautiful - most of them older homes. I was glad to see the smaller ones towards the middle and end. Seems that location sorta defines cottage - as in near beach, or water - what do you think?

• leafy02
    13 years ago

Those are lovely, and make me sad that my current home is so un-cottagey in appearance (though I think we qualify, size-wise).

It's good inspiration for me to keep cute cottages in mind when we get to downsize further in a few years. Not that I'm in any hurry for my kids to move out...

• rafor
    13 years ago

When I relocated to the East Coast, I hated leaving my new little cottage behind! Someday I want to build another one just like it: all 920 sq ft of it. So easy to clean and the monthly utilities were soooo low. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath (next time I'll add a 2nd bath and a garage!) great floor plan. I think it's a Ross Chapin design according to what I found on the web. That's the house where I built my first glass house in the backyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: my cottage

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another feature from HOUZZ is the link below. I see several ideas in the gallery they put up, of interest to those of us with smaller bathrooms.

I can see a couple of things I might use. The stool to lay my things on...already have such a stool, so no cost. The train rack for towels, could not figure where to mount it, now realize of COURSE it will fit above the toilet in DH's first floor bath up north. I also like the folding tray for toiletries, but probably will opt for the plain tall storage towers but use baskets in the shelves. To make sure that works out, I better find the baskets before building the towers, don't you think? Don't want to paint myself into a corner.

And using a vintage plate/saucer for soap or whatever, I have the perfect plate for that, as I'm sure you have too.

Hope the link works. It looks very strange. But check out the photos, they are inspiring.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Simple Bathroom Styling Tips[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/simple-bathroom-styling-tips-stsetivw-vs~95094?utm_campaign=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery2)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Leafy, just keep thinking COTTAGE, and by doing so you will create that image of your home.

And Rafor, glad you are coming back for more here. I visited your photo album and left several comments there. You have done wonders with the house in those pictures. How sad if you had to leave such an inspirational place behind. You put so much of yourself into it. I think with our recent expansion of tub/closet bumpout, we might be closing in on 1000 square feet inside. I will have to check.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Rafor. Darling cottage. I will explore more later. Loving the pavers you did in your yard for walk way through the corner area. Going to take note of that.

ML need to get a move on here this morning. Can't wait to see those small baths.

Chris

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

What lovely homes! I had to laugh, because several times I tried to save them in my Ideabook, only to be told by Houzz that I'd already stored them. I guess you REALLY love them if you try to save them the second time around. I'm smitten with cottage number one.

Thanks for sharing!

While walking with DH last night, I started thinking about everyone here. Our town is littered with lovely little cottages, so I decided I'd make a point of taking my camera with me while walking one night. I know the SH folks will appreciate the cottages I frequent on my walks.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Rafor, I totally enjoyed visiting your cottage. I certainly think your living room kitchen dinning is considered a great room. We had an 864 SQ FT house and the living room kitchen dinning were all one room at 13 by 36. Worked perfect for us.

Chris

• animalnut
    13 years ago

ooohhh! such lovely cottages! Some day, some way, I will give my plain little rectangle of a house a more cottage feel.

rafor - I love those shed handles! They were originally double hooks, yes? May I ask where you got 'em?

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH and leafy we have a manufactured home. About as far from cottage as a person can get and yet I still consider it a cottage. All in my own head. LOL You can do it. Think light airy cottage and go for it.

Chris

• rafor
    13 years ago

animalnut: I think I got them at Joanne Fabrics a few years ago. I just hung on to them until I found the perfect use for them!! And then I had to leave them behind :(

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations