Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emagineer

Small kitchen design

emagineer
16 years ago

There are a bunch of small kitchen pics just posted on the Kitchen forum. Great ideas and wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Kitchen Pics

Comments (20)

• emagineer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The thread I posted has gotten huge with more great ideas. Plus another link they shared below. This one has more small kitchens and layouts with selections related to size, ceiling height, shape, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen options

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Great links ! Boy ....... I wish a pro could come in and re arrage my kitchen... it's so "set in stone" where things go ....( and so much wasted space ) I love looking at others people's kitchens !

• rachelrachel
    16 years ago

susulo - be still my beating heart! How lovely and dramatic. What inspired you, magazines, books? Did you design yourself?

My kitchen is 11 x 11.5. I borrowed countertop space from the laundry/utility room as I didn't want all the small appliances taking up the limited counter space. Looking back it was such a dynamic time replacing a 1948 starter home kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: 11 x 11.5 Kitchen

• happymary45
    16 years ago

Susulo, I agree. I LOVE that kitchen! Could you provide some details about the ingredients, the countertops and cabinets?
    Also, I couldn't quite tell what type of floors you had. Was it very very expensive? I really do love it.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

rachel, I love your new kitchen. I could have never cooked on that stove pushed up against the wall like that. When we moved into this house our kitchen, like all the houses in this neighborhood, was a tiny galley kitchen and the stove was right next to the refrigerator. Needless to say the kitchen was the first thing we tore down and enlarged. I don't need a large kitchen, just a functional one. Meaning when I wash dishes or cook, I like elbow room.

• shaynapup
    16 years ago

I'm totally new to this, so I hope these photos come out. Here is the little 8x8 kitchen in my 850 sf house. I'm remodeling the entire house, including building out the basement which was never done in the home's 53 years -- adding about 700 sf of living space (with pocket doors in the downstairs bathroom).

There is a whole wall of unused space because the window is about 4 inches below the counter height. So I'm ignoring the window and adding an L-shaped countertop straight across that wall (and the sink wall). I've ordered a 24-inch apron front sink, cabinets in almond glazed beadboard, and probably a Wilsonart laminate countertop (it's so much cheaper than granite!). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

[IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/shaynapup/Misc113.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj260/shaynapup/Misc108.jpg[/IMG]

• shaynapup
    16 years ago

Let's see if I can get these photos posted ...

• lucy
    16 years ago

I just replaced a horrible (seriously!) little countertop from maybe the middle ages with a new laminate one that looks EXACTLY like granite (it's in the name of the pattern) but payed 1/3 of what granite would have cost... and besides, I bet granite finally goes out of the style in the next few yrs anyhow, and I'm very happy with what I got (plus all things considered, it's one of the NICER things in this place now, and would be seen as an 'upgrade' compared to what's still left to do if I were to think about selling :-)!

• emagineer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love seeing changes being made. Do keep us posted while your going through the remodel. It always amazes me how similar these kitchens are before making the changes. Is that a milk box on the wall to the right?

• shaynapup
    16 years ago

Yes, that's a milk box. Pretty funny, huh? I just didn't have the heart to close it up during the remodel. All the cabinets are gone, so I will post photos of the new kitchen in a few weeks.
    Lucy: what kind of countertop did you get? Can you please share the name of the company and the pattern? Thank you!

• lucy
    16 years ago

Shayna - The counter is 'Formica', the choice has 'granite' in the name, but beyond that... I lost the chip and the store can't tell me, but I bet if you look at their choices online you'll find the line-up.

• willie_nunez
    16 years ago

Small house, small kitchen, but if it's properly designed it's amazing how well it works. The two of us can cook wonderfully in this one, we love it. This is my first shot at designing and laying out a kitchen. Of course, whenever you're doing it for your own use, you know what you want.

• hardin
    16 years ago

It seems when people talk about having a small kitchen, they really have no idea what a small kitchen really is. I look for ideas for decorating and it is very hard. I have a galley kitchen. Long and narrow. Wall to wall it is 7'9" wide. End to end it is 13 feet long. Ceilings are only 7'6" tall. Beside my fridge is a 30" deep by 5' long wall that has the central ac/h and water heater on the other side of it. In my kitchen is the usual stove, fridge, built-in dishwater AND the washer and dryer. If I ever learn how to post pictures, I will show you what I mean. We are getting ready to redo the kitchen, new floors, countertops, paint and what-not. I have the theme I want too. My problem comes from not knowing what changes I could make that would make it seem bigger. I don't know if I even have enough room to put in a microwave above the stove to clear more counter space. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• emagineer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hardin,
    There are dozens of pics for small galley kitchens on the links I first posted. The second link has one of my favorite below shown below.

Go to the links and click on the options you are interested in. You can also go to the owner's websites by selecting the title above the pics that show up. You could probably spend a couple hours going through the great ideas there.

For posting pics, my next post has a link for explaining the process. I'm sure a lot of us would love to give input if you do have some pics, or a layout, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 X 9 Galley kitchen

• emagineer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a link for posting pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post a photos

• glorybeme
    14 years ago

We are getting ready to move our kitchen. The people who lived in our home before switched the kitchen and living room. It just looks awful. I have counter high outlets in my living room. The old kitchen (now living room) is long and narrow, and makes much more sense as a kitchen. It is a small room so it is hard to decide where to put appliances, etc. Great pictures here, gives us some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Kitchen Designs

• User
    13 years ago

Ok, since this is back in the limelight, I will post another thread to a kitchen which I discovered today. I am in serious conflict with my previous redo ideas, and hope I can work out some way to use the beautiful glass tiles on her backsplash. It is carrying all of my white kitchen ideas through with a great deal of style and panache. See if you don't think so too.

Link below to Scottielee's white pearl NYC kitchen...small by definition I suppose.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Pearl NYC Kitchen by Scottielee

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH That is gorgeous. ML Somewhere I saw where a person can get those white tiles rather inexpensively too. I am pretty sure they are on paper fronts so you stick them to the wall and then wet the paper and peel off. Not positive on this but oh so pretty. I have considered these for my cabinets in the bathrooms to cover the icky fake bases. I did not have them re done when I did the kitchen.

These are not inexpensive but oh so pretty;
    http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/catalogs/milk-glass.html

Looking through my stash of links the ones I am looking for are escaping me. Will look more later dinner is calling.

Chris

• smith321
    10 years ago

The view of your kitchen is almost the same as ours. But difference is my kitchen is under construction and hopefully complete in 6 to 7 week. You shared links will help me for sure. Thanks for your support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Architecture Gold Coast

This post was edited by smith321 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 0:11

• Jenee.Vie
    9 years ago

The posted photos are nice. The are simple yet beautiful. I have seen same kitchen designs. You can view more designs there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Designs

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County