Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerlady6

Small home living

FlowerLady6
15 years ago

While searching on small homes I came across the following website. For more info read the whole article. I will just post a couple of paragraphs.

Report in Environmental Building News in 1999

The report provided a few simple graphs and tables. One showed the remarkable growth in U.S. house size from 1950-1999, and the simultaneous drop in people-per-house. It showed that Americans have quickly become the most housed people in the history of humanityÂon average, North Americans now have about 4 times more space per person in new houses than they did in 1950! Another graph compared energy efficiency with house size, showing that a small, poorly insulated house was considerably more efficient than a large, well-insulated house.

In other words, compare that little, 1,000 sq ft clapboard or brick bungalow in the older neighborhood near downtown with the new 2,400 sq ft "green" and "energy-efficient" house on the edge of town, and youÂll find the older house uses less energy. And, of course, the materials are already there. It begs the question: Can a tear-down ever be green?

Here is a link that might be useful: For more info

Comments (2)

• emagineer
    15 years ago

This is a great article/site. The comments from those interested in smaller homes was akin to the list of subjects we have discussed here. The links are well worth a read, will go back and do that later, each one is probably worth a discussion.

Tearing down is never green. Most of it ends up in land fills. I volunteer for Habitat Humanity Restore and if anyone is green, they are. We built two homes this year from our income of donations. It is amazing the amount of building items given to us, new from big box stores and contractor leftovers to used from remodelers. Besides profit made, a lot of the supplies are used in building the new little homes.

I love it Flower, am still searching too. One article I found said the real estate market was seeing a climb in selling/buying smaller homes. That buyers for such are going to be the larger percentage. Much to do with baby boomers, but also reality towards economy and value. Should have posted the article, but questioned it a bit since it was from a real estate news publication. They did mention that moving down to a smaller home was a difficult transition with it being the non conventional style an average home buyer hasn't caught up with or wrapped their heads around.

Fall is here, the cottonwoods are changing bright yellow. The rest is in a dormant state, yards are looking a bit tattered with half blooming or seeding plantings. I am going to take pics of a bunch of smaller homes around here and post the exteriors. From victorian to ranches exist. Will wait until fall really hits to get some better photos. A small start to having a gallery? Hoping this will be well of interest.

Gotta go, my day at Restore and am late.

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

In some cases a tear-down makes sense, but they are far and few between, My mother's house is in poor shape, has no insulation, and the furnace runs constantly to maintain 55 degrees during the winter. It probably makes sense to tear that house down and replace it, as long as it isn't a mcmansion. Hopefully, she'll be moving within the next year or so, and the realtors say it will undoubtedly be a tear-down. She has a gorgeous piece of property, though. If people would build the same size house, but much more energy efficient, tear-downs could almost be justified. But they won't....

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor