Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertsteph

Master bath and counter top

desertsteph
13 years ago

I've been looking online at laminate counter tops. ugh, not finding much I like for the bathroom. they must have changed out some of their colors and patterns. don't think I found anything at formica, 1 at Wilsonart (egyptian sun) and 2 or 3 possiblilites at pionite. rhrome used that brand in her kitchen so I checked their site. It depends on what they look like in real - I'll be requesting samples next wk. I'll probably swing by HD to check small samples of Formica in case something there looks much better than it did online.

with a purple and green bathroom (and who knows in a few yrs) I want to go neutral. tho, I did see one in purple! I think I want light in color tho.

HD (or lowe's) has a vanity that would work for 530.00 and on ikea the parts to make a similar vanity would be as much or more. I still want to take my time and check out the restore tho. anything I can save will help toward a new sink, faucet and mirror.

Tomorrow I'll post the counter tops I found - just too tired tonight.

Comments (19)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

desertsteph, looking forward to seeing your countertops. The restore sounds good, and keep in mind that you can convert furniture pieces to bathroom vanities. We used an old oak sideboard in our guest bath, and I've seen dressers used, to.

We pulled the sideboard forward from the wall to accommodate the sink, and made a tiled countertop. We were going to use wood strips for fillers, but the gaps aren't noticeable, so we skipped the fillers, and I've used the space behind the sideboard to store an extra wall mirror. (Every little bit counts :)

• larke
    13 years ago

Wilsonart has formica that looks exactly like granite (I've used it) and you can't tell from a few feet away, plus I think some of it comes in a darker green.

• User
    13 years ago

Supposedly there are now countertops which simulate wood or stone. I haven't looked yet, because even if we went with Silestone in all three baths up north, I think it would be only a tiny cost to us. I'm thinking about a sparkly black called STAR GAZER for the two baths which combined make a nice duplexed master bath. The bath upstairs is a rather bland and tan thing, with marble tile floors, so I'd have to keep it sort of sandy up there.

I suggest the option of a wood look for the top because you could always paint the vanity the lavender, and keep the top neutral. From what I've seen of old Formica or Wilsonart, when they are dosed with sunlight regularly, especially as strong as the Arizona brand of light, they do a lot of fading. A multitoned sort of sandy beachy look would not show a fade as much, and maybe a driftwood top would be pretty too.

I really like the idea of going to Restore. I will have to check it out for the bath jobs up north. But also some of the used furniture places could yield good results too.

Keep on, Steph. You will enjoy the process of getting it the way you want it.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here's a few laminates I found online -

here's the purple -

here's another -

here's a tannish -

this would be ok if it's laminate, seemed to say it was but pic looks like solid surface -

I kind of like this but not for the bath room -

I'd like to have a bunch of shallow drawers for things like makeup, hair stuff, nail stuff etc.

like these at HD/Woodmark -

if I do or not will depend on what I find at the restore place.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Hi Steph,
    I found this in the Flagstaff Craigslist. I imagine you are not very near any big city, but do not know what you are closest to.

This guy has two bath vanities, each with 3 shallow drawers. If you have room for 6 ft of counter, this could give you what you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: used bath cabs

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nancy - Flag is many hrs from me. I'm SE of Phx. even Phx is like going to another state...lol!

BUT, it did jog my mind to look around here and I found this and will call tomorrow.

it's 48" wide leaving 8" but I do think a small waste basket would fit in that space. also, the drawers are slab so it wouldn't take much for a cabinet person to add to the right side of it, maybe with just a pullout. it'll need a new counter top but it's only 85.00 including the sink and faucet - and they look nice! the faucet is single lever like I want. tilt out under sink and below is a bottom slide out.

the location tho is even farther than phx but just to the NW of it - would need dbf to go get it and it's white. didn't really want white. we don't always get exactly what we want. it could be painted or I could put in that dark purple counter top for contrast.

{{!gwi}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

OH Me and purple I am loving that first purple counter top. The cabinet you found is also really nice.

Chris

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

I'm not sure about the colors but Wilsonart's HD laminate and Formica FX laminate feel amazing and look REALLY convincing because of the texture...we were going to use them for our kitchen before we landed on the butcher block.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Wait. I have texture on our kitchen counters and really HATE HATE HATE it. To the point of considering lightly sanding it off. It is a constant scrub job and always looks dirty.

It is not like the texture of the grout lines . This is a real pain kind of texture.

Chris

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't want texture on it either - I do think that'd be too hard to keep clean. I want it very plain too - there's pattern in my shower curtain, lotion bottle etc. I don't know where the curtain is right now but the bottle is still unpacked. if my camera will work tomorrow I'll post a pic of it. my camera hasn't been working for days and I'm hoping it just needs new batteries.

the bath will be in green and purple like Idie's bedroom!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Steph the green and purple will be lovely. My favorite colors.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thx shades! I loved idie's bdrm the minute i saw it - and since my comforter has both colors in it I said 'yahoo!' and figured I should carry it into the bathroom. maybe more the purplish in the bath with touches of green. not sure yet.

I didn't call about the cabinet today - I ended up at the vet learning how to give insulin shots. I took my boy in for tests last Sat. and got a call this morning from the doc saying boy was diabetic! that really changed my day. but boy was priority - he's been in bad shape for 4 or 5 days now and can hardly walk. Sometimes he can't walk at all. It about killed me to boost his behind into the car too. His backside is like lead!

Anyway, I'll call tomorrow - or another cab will come along. I like the simple lines of that one tho. I think it wouldn't be difficult for someone who works in wood to make it either.

I gave boy his first shot tonight and I'm beat - haven't even taken all my meds today. Tomorrow i'll work us out a schedule!

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Steph, sorry to hear about your Boy. My friend's dog is diabetic and gets shots twice a day. She is fine, even with her vision loss, too. I hope you have a better day tomorrow. I am up late, too. I went to a nursing home at midnight to give the night shift an in-service, got home about 1:45 eastern. Take care, and get some rest! (I know that it is not so late there, you are three hours behind me, I think.)

• User
    13 years ago

Oh hey there Nancy! You were really up late this time! But so glad to see you back here.

I mentioned dogs having diabetes when my doxie began losing her hair but it turns out her blood work was normal. And now it turns out that the stucco demo and spray job on the new bumpout at our house appears to be the culprit. She is taking Prednisone and clavimox I think it is, a steroid and an antibiotic, and the hair loss has slowed. Poor little girl, she doesn't have much to cover her lowslung body at best, and will get really cold when we get to Massachusetts. She loves to walk to the mailbox with her Papa, even in the snow, and I have some very funny pictures taken of some of her adventures to the mailbox.

Hope Boy adjusts to the treatment and soon feels better. It is absolutely no fun being diabetic for man nor beast!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry about your boy Nancy. I didn't know dogs could get diabetes, but I'm not surprised. They seem to get everything else people get.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what it feels like to be diabetic but from the looks of boy, it's horrible! he looks horrible! I stopped by my sister's on my way home yesterday and she was shocked at the site of his once beautiful coat. It's just gross now - I'd noticed it getting bad and kept telling myself to cook him up some eggs ... if I'd remembered, it wouldn't have helped. Also, with him lying in a mud pit daily I figured there was no use trying to beautify him again til the heat let up. He dumped his pool every day to make his mud (so much for a mud bath) - except friday... I noticed he didn't on Fri. and he couldn't get his backend up for a walk - that's when I called the vet.

He just got his 2nd shot and i'm hoping to see more of an improvement later today. Earlier he had his head up following us around (walking girl) and he was lying with all 4 legs out on one side of him instead of backside squatted down (flat as could be) to the ground with arms stretched out on either side of his head.

I'm ready for a nap now - it's 9.16 here.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Hi Steph,
    I hope Boy is better. Give it some time and you should see a real difference. My friend's Abbey was like a whole new dog once she was on insulin for a while. My friend thought that same thing, "I should have noticed." But the decline is so gradual that it is hard to see. Funny thing is that Abbey was having constant UTIs and peeing in the house. Nobody noticed that she was drinking a lot, too. I am not sure if the doc checked the blood sugar earlier, or if the first time he checked was when the diabetes was diagnosed. My friend thought that the dog just did not want to play anymore and had become a slug - not caring to do things. She was not that old when diagnosed - maybe 5 for a 20 lb dog. After the insulin took hold, she was her old self again. It was hard at first, but once they settled on a dosage that worked for her, she did well.

• desertsteph
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thx nancy! that gives me positive hope - not just my 'wishful' hope.

he was fine when we were doing the dirt pad out front - or seemed to be his regular 'ol self! we noticed a few changes when we moved his pen (now called 'man cave'). I attributed that to several things - the change, he was then away from his sister on her trips out to potty (they were within ft of each other before) and I was out there each time and walked over to give him hugs etc. and he was penned in so I thought he just didn't like that! after about 2 wks I started cabling him again on the outer side of the man cave - he could go in...or out. I did that for several hrs in the evening hoping it would help him adjust.

and of course, the heat here now! ugh! and he took to flipping his pool over so water would go all over the ground and then he'd lie in the mud. I didn't like that (he'd never been so dirty!) but figured if it cooled him I'd deal with it.

prior to the pen change he was as active and ornery as he was when he was a pup. my sister said the same thing last night - that she didn't think he was ever gonna age and then boom!

he is acting more alert today. not getting up tho. he did try to get up and bark at a worker - it was a sad sounding bark!

I'm gonna spend some time tonight raking some of the stones in there over to the sides so he doesn't have to sleep on a bed of stone.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Steph So sorry to hear about Boy. My friends have a kitty with diabetes. He has had it for years and been on the insulin shots daily. He does really well.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Chris

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES