Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

New Kitchen Almost Done!

Nancy in Mich
13 years ago

Hi all,

I have been telling about and showing pictures of our kitchen remodel on my thread, "Kitchen Remodel has Begun, LOTS of Pictures."

Because of all the pictures in the thread, it was getting very long. If anyone still has slow-loading internet, it could take forever! Since we are reaching the end of the project, I took the advice of one of my readers, and started a new thread so I may share the end with all of you.

The project started when I found a set of cabinets on the Green Demolitions site that was a good fit and a good price. I bought them and went from there. the link below takes you to today's photos on my pbase site. If you hit the "next" button, you see today's photos. If you click the "previous" button, you see the kitchen slowly fall apart! Or got to the gallery and start wherever you like. If you are on the thumbnails page, clicking on a photo will show you the captions, as well as the larger photo and titles.

We removed all of the cabinet doors and drawers last week when we decided to sand, re-stain, and polyurethane them. They shall return, hopefully sooner than later.

Here is a link that might be useful: 8-12-10 photos going forward, earlier backward.

Comments (38)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

wow. that island top and trim is really, really something! beautiful! you must be so thrilled and so proud to have done it.
    can't wait to see the whole kitchen done... you're almost there...

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

The island looks fantastic--I love the way you've placed the tiles to create 'movement.' I've been looking forward to seeing it finished, since I'd like to use large tiles on part of my counters. Now I'm awaiting pics of the backsplash. :)

BTW, I recently saw a pic of kitchen hardware, ORB, with rope detail, and immediately thought of you!

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

aw, thanks Steph and Mama. I became impatient when painting the trim. The original color given to me by the young man att the store came out quite green. I went back, but forgot to bring th leftover paint with me. The new young man wanted to add something more coppery, I knew I needed brown. So I bought a browny-bronze color and tried it half-and-half with what I had left. Still too green. Iadded more, thought it was still too green and then just dumped the whole jar in. I should have tried the not-as-green color with the black glaze, but the light was dimming (storms coming in) and I got impatient. So it came out a bit too dark, then got darker with the glaze. I like it okay, but it is not the color I envisioned.

as far as being almost done... We still have to put three coats of polyurethane on the cabs, including inside the three new ones. DH can do that, maybe even get two done this weekend (he is playing trombone at a funeral on Sunday). Then I have to touch-up four doors and four drawers and stain 16 drawers and 28 doors. some of the doors need to be sanded, some need tohave a little wood fill done. Then all 20 drawers and 32 doors need to be given three coats of polyurethane. I will probably put them all into service after the first poly and then poly them two more times in place. I will do the drawers first, so we can move into the kitchen.

The door for the bookshelf is also a priority because it needs to go to have glass installed.

Today I still have to figure out some source for LED bulbs for the 5 4" can lights. I have given up on the local people who have given me two sets of ones that don't work.

Then there is paint touch-up. I also have to install my stained/textured glass panel I use as a valance on the window.

Oh! We still need a floor. Decision on that may come tonight if the flooring store has late hours. We are thinking linoleum for the kitchen only and maybe engineered wood for the family room. I also still have to assemble two kitchen counter stools.

Mama, that backsplash will probably come in September or October! we go on vacation part of September

DH did dishes in the dishwasher last night. I got the dog dishes out this morning and barely had to bend to get the dog dishes out of the lower rack!

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Very nice. How much space is between the desk and the island? I love that entire wall with the desk, pony wall and dish washer.

I also love the way the rope turned out! It doesn't look like wood at all.

• User
    13 years ago

Nancy, you have really done a LOT. And I like the choice of countertop tiles, I'm a big fan of Italian porcelain, having at least two colors of it in our house at this time.

The brackets look very stylish and also quite strong. That is my concern, elbows leaning on the counter, and a bracket not able to hold its load. I was checking Lee Valley Tools for brackets/corbels, but I think now I'll check out YOUR source.

The rope molding is gorgeous. Substantial in size and fine in detail. The entire countertop trim is seamlessly stained and I do like ORB.

Having the HVAC vent going through the toekick of the cabinet is a really great touch. You are fortunate to have Jim as your contractor. So many nice details executed in a fine manner!

Your dishwasher elevated like that is marvelous, and it will be nicely available without interfering with your microwave above it. What countertops will you use adjacent to the sink?

Your aisles are all wide enough to have someone walk by even when another person is standing at the open fridge, or cooking at the stovetop. I like your desk on the opposite side where the stools are located. If needs be, someone could sit at the desk while others sit at the counter.

It all has a nice open feeling, which was a big improvement over your old kitchen. I do not recall seeing the little bench/seating area by the steps going down?

What flooring did you choose? I forgot that. Will you continue the wood floor, or do more porcelain tile?

Bravo, busy lady! I admire your persistence. At least the doors and drawers of the cabs are not a boundless task, and you'll be done with them in a couple of weeks. In time for your vacation, perhaps?

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lord, I hope so, ML!
    Flooring will be Forbo Linoleum in sheet form for the most waterproof natural flooring we could get. Color was going to be Shitake, because it was okay in the kitchen and great in the family room:

but since we think we will not be putting it in the adjoining Family room (due to cost), we may change it to the darker Tobbaco Leaf.

It provides contrast with the cabinets (which, when they have their fronts on will dominate the room with whitewashed oak) and is a fairly good match for the counters and the island.

We may go tonight and see what is a good choice for the family room floor. Linoleum is quite expensive.

The little "bench" going down the ramp is a part of a cabinet that is not going to be used. Jim is using it as a portable work table, I think.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

'Then I have to touch-up four doors and four drawers and stain 16 drawers and 28 doors. some of the doors need to be sanded, some need tohave a little wood fill done. Then all 20 drawers and 32 doors need to be given three coats of polyurethane.'

THUD!!

someone call 911 for me... nevermind, just call the coroner - I'd be dead!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Me too steph! Wow Nancy, you have been one busy woman, and it looks fantastic! I love the bar, both the tile and the trim. You did a great job on the paint. Aren't you sick and tired of painting yet? lol

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Oh, wow! I love the high dishwasher!

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

wowser judith, the island looks fabulous. I love the tiles and the moulding turned out gorgeous!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

yeah, I'm eyeing that DW. want to know down the road how you like it...

I could probably do that higher up install! I have more room on the back wall to my sink - about 24" - the space the dw would use on the left of the sink.

I'd lose the corner space use for my mw tho.

but I have a yr to figure it out...

• User
    13 years ago

Steph, the way that Nancy did her raised DW was to put the MW into the extra space above it. You don't have to raise it up completely, just enough to take the strain off your back, which even a foot would help there, right?

Having a builtin microwave is a good option, just so it isn't too high up or too low down. I cannot remember what buttons to punch, so being able to read them is the critical part. And having a place to set a hot container when it needs stirring and sticking back in the oven. Maybe a pull out shelf between the MWave and the DW would be a good idea?

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the microwave just is not in place yet. DH needs to poly the inside of the microwave space three times. Jim put new veneer in it. Tomorrow I will start back on the staining. Today Jim was here finishing the kitchen and DH and I went to the flooring store. We ended up getting the linoleum for both the kitchen and family room. The other flooring we considered - cork, bamboo and engineered hardwood - all turned out to be the same price. Se we got the Marmoleum for both rooms in the Shitake color. On the larger sample in the store, there was more color variation and I think we will really like it. Then we treated ourselves to a nice lunch at the first vegetarian restaurant in our area. An old standard. When we came back, Jim was still here, using the garage to make the last few cuts for the trim he was installing. So I puttered about till he was done. Around 4, a friend came by to see the kitchen. She is living in my house where our first kitchen was. She says that one is playful, and this one is all serious and grown up. While she was here, I tried touching up the molding on the island trim. I wanted to bring back more of the shiny metallic look that got overcome by the black glaze. So I took the metallic paint and mixed some with the glaze and went over the "belly" of each rope twist on the trim. I also re-coated the very top of the wood trim where it meets the tile, to give the wood on top more of a sealed, waterproof finish.

That was it for today. Tomorrow I plan to start staining. And I will get out the yardstick and get those measurements you asked for, Loretta.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

moccasin - I'm sure gonna measure it out in the new place! I don't have much counter space anyway (but MUCH more than I have where I am now!) - NOT counting the corner area I'll have about 3' to the left of the sink and 1' to the right of it plus about 1' to the right of the stove and 3.5-4' to the left of the stove.

I'd have to move the stove down (to it's left) to do that and you lose space by putting the corner on that angle.

I'll have to do a mock up of it with boxes!

a shelf like this - (my mw opens on the right)

nancy - when you get all done have dh take a pic of you putting something in the dw - bottom rack. or taking something out and post for me!

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    I had an easy-going weekend with just a little work here and there. It was a hard week at work last week, what with needing to take care of the last minute details at home and TRY to get work done, as well. Today I put a little more bronze back onto the rope edge molding of the island. The black glaze just overwhelmed the metallic paint.
    So now...

go to the link below and you can see today's photos that include the counter stools.

Loretta, I measured today, and there are 44" between the fridge and the island, 37" between the sink and the island, and 38" between the desk and the island.

ML and Steph, I may have the microwave set back into the cab a bit, making the counter in the cubbyhole the landing place for the hot dishes. In our other kitchen, we had a pull-out cutting board below the microwave that made an landing spot. DH designed that.

Marti, I must not be tired of painting after spending an hour today with a tiny artist paintbrush re-doing the rope molding! And I still have all those drawer fronts and doors to stain...

Here is a link that might be useful: Today's pics

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Nancy, I just love it! I like the way you rebronzed that trim too. I'm going to show your pix to dh when we get ready to start our redo.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I really like it with the rebronze also!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Looks great! I like the backless stools, especially for an island.

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all are so supportive! Thanks for taking the time to write each day. When I get overwhelmed, I just think about sending you Smaller Homers some new photos and I manage to get something accomplished.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

we're here cheering you on... so you can be done, relax, enjoy it - AND post more pics for us! lol!

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

It's looking lovely. it is exhausting but once it's all done, you'll have years of pleasure out of all your hard work.

• FlowerLady6
    13 years ago

It is looking great and you're getting near completion now. You will be so glad when this is all over, then you can relax and enjoy.

FlowerLady

• User
    13 years ago

Ahhh, I think my reply to your new pictures was lost during my week of computer problems!!

You are getting this huge project almost DONE. I love the way it is coming together. Your determination is amazing.

You go girl!!! Love all the stuff you are doing YOURSELF.
    Awesome.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

WOW Nancy I have been missing this post some how. Your kitchen is really turning out wonderful Love your island top and the bronze rope edge you have worked on. I also think the upside down upper cabinets on the end wall look great with out cabinets above them. It is so fun to see your dream come to life.

Chris

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Chris, it is fun to see. I am enjoying the process. DH did some polyurethaneing this weekend and I kept asking, "won't you feel proud when you use these cabinets to think that you worked so hard to make them nice?" He replied, "I am hoping I will forget how much work it was!" He just does not get the pride of workmanship thing!

I did almost nothing this weekend. I kept falling asleep while surfing the net for kitchen towels. I did find what I wanted and ordered them, finally. On Saturday I did move some stuff into the kitchen. My friend came and wiped out all the cabinets for me. I also put away a lot of junk/tools that were lying about. Sunday I worked two hours on the cab doors. I wanted to do that tonight, but my friend and I decluttered the family room in preparation for the flooring being delivered tomorrow. They can install any day after Wednesday. DH is checking his schedule to see when he can work from home. So, our flooring will be in this week!

Oh yeah, I found yet another product to use on the island edge. It is a glaze from Lowes that I bought when we moved in here. It gives an iridescent shine. it adds to the metallic look. I did a few areas, and will likely do the whole trim with it one day soon. Goodnight all!

• User
    13 years ago

Nancy sez:"ML and Steph, I may have the microwave set back into the cab a bit, making the counter in the cubbyhole the landing place for the hot dishes. In our other kitchen, we had a pull-out cutting board below the microwave that made an landing spot. DH designed that. "

And I think a cutting board would be a good solution too beside a fridge. I need a good counter height spot to set my glass when I want some milk. I hate to leave the fridge door open very long, and having even a pullout cutting board mounted inside a drawer (like they do double layer silverware pullouts) would be just fine for me. And something for Steph to consider too, instead of modifying a cabinet. Steph, do you have a drawer close by your microwave?

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

" He just does not get the pride of workmanship thing!"

Just wait until people come over and admire it, and you say a few times how dh did this.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

" I kept falling asleep while surfing the net for kitchen towels."

I do that also. and I fall asleep while reading emails or posts...

"And something for Steph to consider too, instead of modifying a cabinet. Steph, do you have a drawer close by your microwave?"

the way it is now, no. I plan to put it on the counter in the corner area. I usually can't reach to the back of that area anyway so I figured that's the place to have the mw occupy space. If/ when I get to redo it next yr I would have a drawer close to it.

• User
    13 years ago

Nancy, where does the kitchen job stand now?
    Hanging curtains and the dish towels?

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, but the kitchen towels I ordered did show up. I opened the box the night before we left for our New York vacation.
    We are at a beautiful inn on the Hudson. I got a great Swedish massage today and I get a hot stone massage tomorrow. Friday we check out and go to Manhattan, where we will see Promises, Promises.

We left a total mess of clean laundry and clutter at home. No cab doors or drawer fronts were finished since the last photos were done, as we spent our last week at home doing laundry.

We will get back to work staining and poly-ing next week!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

forgot about your vacation - enjoy it!

lucky you with those massages - I need a few of those myself!

we'll still be here when you get back...

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have made some progress! Last weekend I re-stained some of the big pantry doors and filled holes in the new drawers that Jim made and got a first coat of stain on them. I also sanded and stained the shelves for the bookshelf. Today I sanded the rest of the 20 drawers (about 18 of them) and stained 14 of them. One is already done and in service, so that leaves me with only 5 drawers left to stain. The 14 may need a little touch-up here and there, but for the most part, not. So maybe next week I will have all the drawers done. I have decided that we will put them into their places in the kitchen once the stain is dry, but not put things in them until we have gotten the three coats of polyurethane on them.

DH carefully cleaned the island today and put on a coat of sealer on the tiles and grout. He says he will do another coat tomorrow night. He also got two coats of polyurethane on the cabinets in the kitchen,though he inexplicably skipped the island and desk cabs.
    This weekend we got a lot of little things done, putting things away, hanging the valance in the family room, shortening and installing a piece of wood trim that was on the left side of the fireplace. DH picked up the ceiling hooks we need for hanging the plants on either side of the kitchen window, so we could install them one day soon.

That leaves us with 30 door fronts left to stain and poly (some are already sanded), the back of the island to stain and poly, baseboards in the kitchen to stain, poly and install, and baseboards in the family room to buy, stain, poly, and install. I also need to do a little touch-up painting.

And the backsplash needs to be installed, grouted, and sealed.

Okay, I am tired and going to bed! Tomorrow I am changing the name of this thread to "New Kitchen Will be Done Next Summer!"

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Aw Nancy you two are doing wonderful!!!!! Can not wait for updated pictures. Glad you are back from vacation. Hope you had a great time.

Chris

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

gee, that IS a lot of drawers and doors! sounds to me like you're doing great!

OTOH there's me... haven't passed inspection 1 yet. other than some measurements documented and getting the broken glass out of the sink and up from the kit floor, not much is done!

• Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am down to only 8 doors left to sand and stain! One good weekend, and I am done with them. All of the drawers are done. DH poly'd about 8-10 doors and shelves last weekend and we hung them one night this week, so the cabinets are starting to look complete. Two weeks and they will all be hung, I hope.

Then pics.

Then buy and stain and poly baseboards and toe molding. I don't care if I install it, but I need to have it stained before winter or it will wait until next spring.

Then the backsplash!

I have decorated. My friend sent away to a catalog and got me some metal painted botanical plaques I was admiring. I got a clock at English Gardens (half price) and hung them all on one wall. Our Van Gogh "Cafe Terrace at Night" giclee is on the one bare wall. DH chose it for our kitchen before we decided to remodel.

We have not moved in to the kitchen. I insisted that the staining and poly'ing be all done first, or we would have used the kitchen half done and would never have finished!

Be back in a week or two with pics!!!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

Great to hear about your progress. I am sure it is gorgeous. So satisfying to have done it all yourself.

• prairie-girl
    13 years ago

Wow, you've made some serious progress, Nancy! Congrats, it looks beautiful.
    ~Missy

• User
    13 years ago

Nancy, you are amazing. This is such a long and highly detailed project, and I am so proud of your dedication to finishing it before actually using the kitchen. You are right...we've begun using rooms before they were finished, and you get used to it being that way, so finishing is always down the road a ways.

Steph, you have a totally different set of circumstances, and getting approvals from the gummit always makes things a bit iffy. But it will happen.

DH went out on the roof today washing it down with bleach to kill the algae (?) before winter really arrives. Of course, the bleach fumes got to me and I about DIED gasping for breath. My case of strept throat has me a little woozy.
    Hopefully it will soon be over, since it peeled out last night.