Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Favorite exterior style for a small home?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Small homes are so charming, but I think my favorite has to be the little cottages with the brick/stone fireplaces. I love those little cottages, with one fireplace in the front (just to one side of the front door) and another one on the side of the house. Usually one if for the kithcen and the other fireplace is for the living room.

Throw in some different sized windows, possibly a big windowseat overlooking some old fashioned roses and a charming roof...and you've got my dream home! What would be your favorite exterior style for a small home?

Comments (7)

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Country cabin! I love the rustic charm of those little vacation cabins.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the closest thing I could find to the type of cottage I was thinking about...except the window on the right of the door should be a little larger (plenty of room for a window seat) with a fireplace on that end wall. I love these little cottages. Plenty of room for climbing roses, clematis and maybe some star jasmine :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotswold cottage

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I'd like a SW Adobe with arches, enclosed adobe garden areas.

Someway you will get your window seat. Keep visualizing, it will come true.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

It would depend upon location, but here in FL, I like a simple frame cottage with a tin roof. That's pretty close to what we are going to build in SC, too, but not quite as 'beachy'.

In New England, I'd have a snug little cape. In a city, it would be a tall, skinny Victorian. In the south west, I agree adobe would work well. In the woods, I like a log cabin, but it's too much maintenance for a place for us to retire.

• User
    13 years ago

I think the hearts desire of so many people is a simple cottage which says WELCOME when you pass it on the street.

Up north, the house manifests itself as a Cape Cod cottage. Add a porch to it all the way across the front, and it becomes Southern. Then raise that cottage with the wide front porch UP and put wide steps and use the cool shady space beneath it, and you have the Creole cottage. To me, that is the epitome of comfort and coziness.

The little house I'm working on now lacks that Creole style, but I can manage without it. By the time we are done making our changes to the strong stucco Craftsman style of this place, it will serve us well for what remains of our lives.

I think what I do with the derelict garage out back may satisfy my need for a typical Irish stone cottage, just no thatched roof.

• enigmaquandry
    13 years ago

moccasin, it's funny you mention that...my all-time house style is the most humble old, stone, Irish cottage, surrounded by fields and stone walls and the coast...ahhhhhhh
    {{!gwi}}From house

Be still my beating heart!

• emagineer
    13 years ago

Moccasin, What a great idea for your garage. It really does lend itself to creating an Irish Cottage. When did you think of this? I know you were talking about a green roof, but having a thatch roof sounds so charming.

In CA we had tree rats. They were huge, liked palm trees and orchards. We had a 5 acre avacodo grove. When I found out about these I hated going in there. I lived in CA for years and never saw them until I had a hunting dog that liked to bring presents on the lawn. Do you have these? A thatch roof possiblity would have to be eliminated with these things. Maybe there are fake thatch roofs.