Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacton1211

12x7 child's bedroom

cacton1211
9 years ago

We are considering purchasing this lovely 144 year old farmhouse but the third bedroom is holding us back. It's 12x7 and my husband is referring to it as a "bowling alley." My daughter, who is now 3, would be growing up in this room and as we know, girls tend to spend a lot of time in their rooms (at least I did.) Is this just too small? Does anyone have pictures of 12x7 bedrooms and the furniture in it?

Thanks so much!

Comments (12)

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I've seen smaller bedrooms in old city apartment buildings, but wow, that's small. I think much depends on the location of the door, closet, and window(s).

Is the 7' an actual 84 inches, or a bit larger or smaller?

• cacton1211
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure, her room now is 12x16 so it seems really small in looking at it. I didn't get out the tape measure. She's an obstinate little thing and I foresee a lot of "room time" in her future.

The room is being used as an office now.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

is there a closet?

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Yeah... I don't think you can really consider that a bedroom. That radiator takes up too much of your long wall!

Most beds are 7' long, so basically, you put a bed at the far end under the window, and then have a hallway and a dresser or a bookshelf along the "desk wall"...

It would be too small for me, if there wasn't another place for her to be/play/dress. This will be a sleep only type of room.

• cacton1211
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I relayed the info to our husband and the house is off of our list. It's a shame because it's just beautiful but we are not interested in additions and adding rooms.

• allen456
    9 years ago

Why not loft the bed in her room? Increased floor space (and coolness factor!).

• allen456
    9 years ago

oops, double posted.....now back to your regularly scheduled GardenWeb!

This post was edited by Allen456 on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 7:32

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Once had to share a 7X7 room, with bunk beds. Then graduated to a 12X7, solo. Worked fine for many years. There were other places to play.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

If there is a closet, fill it full of built-ins, including drawers. You might be able to do without a dresser.

Whether there is or isn't a closet, consider a bed with drawers underneath.

I agree the best place for the bed is probably across the far end of the room, under the window.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I had a room that was 11 by 8. I used it as my craft room and had a floor loom in there and a buffet and treadle sewing machine and a jelly cabinet and a HUGE gun cabinet. The gun cabinet does not show in this photo. You can barely see the end of the sewing machine, Closet was to the left and it was an 8 foot closet.

• cacton1211
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Stay tuned, no one mentioned that the attic was "finished" and we didn't look at it since it was later in the evening. I'm curious to see what their idea of finished is but they said it can be used as additional bedroom space. I know it doesn't have heat but they said baseboard heat can be added. At what cost though, we'll see!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

The picture you showed of the small room is so cute. So pretty around the window. Lots of character. You can buy base board heaters for a couple hundred. If there is electric up there you just plug them in. Or the oil filled heaters work really well too if you have good insulation in the roof.