Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

What's the one place that you wish you had more room?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

For me, it's probably the kitchen. I would love to have room for a table and chairs and maybe a little wood stove in the corner. Country kitchens are so cozy and welcoming. If I ever remodel the old farmhouse....

Comments (24)

• ellendi
    13 years ago

A bigger entry foyer. Mine is the width of the front door (although 15 feet long) and it feels too small when welcoming guests or seeing people out.

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Either family room or kitchen. I would like room for a dining table in one of them! Our new island did away with our dining table.

• Shades_of_idaho
    13 years ago

The sewing guest room. But then it does work as it is. Just would be nicer to have a bit more space. Maybe even one foot wider.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Laundry- We currently have a laundry/pantry closet. It's not at all functional for either task.

• User
    13 years ago

I'd like a real entry, not just open the front door straight away into the living room. I wanted the entry to be from the sun porch, but with the parrots out there, keeping it deadbolted avoids any tragic escapes.

The other place is the new master bedroom. I want to extend the back (east) wall another 7 feet to match the back porch so we can have one complete roof put across that entire width of the house when we finally take the porch into the kitchen. Another 7' x 12' would give room for a really nice space for a chair and a spot to view the back garden. DH thinks it would not be required, so I am waiting him out. He eventually sees the light, and realizes that OF COURSE I AM RIGHT. hehehehe

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Closets. Bathrooms. Laundry room. Do I really have to pick just one?

• User
    13 years ago

Marti, true true! I am on the road to correcting the more room issue for the closets and bathroom. I don't really have issues with laundry, what with a stacking laundry center in the back porch. My ironing board is in the sewing area anyway, and besides, I believe in the "wrinkled look."

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Definitely the bathroom. My only bath is 5x8 and its a tight space. I would love to have a space about 8x8 so I could spread out a little.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I could use more space in just about every room but the bathroom for me too. mine is about the same size as yours idie and sometimes it almost feels claustrophobic in there.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

Inside: The foyer. Ours is slightly bigger than the front door.

Transition: The porch. I've never seen a porch that was too big.

Outside: The YARD!

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Master bedroom...I would LOVE to have room for a chair in there!

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I'd love to have a kitchen like "The Holiday" in the English Cottage. Actually I like to have the whole set in my house. This isn't going to happen so I would take a dining room and it could be very small, plus a foyer. Interesting how we all seem to lean toward the same. And interesting too is that we all could probably make changes, but my better judgement says our little homes are what they are and why we love them.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

I have a new one: The ceiling. We have 93.5" ceilings downstairs, and I'd love 9' ceilings. Upstairs, we have 4-foot knee-walls, and sloped ceilings--wish I could find a way to have more head space in the bedrooms.

We don't have a foyer--front entry is directly into LR, from a covered front porch. We have an 'airlock' mudroom in the back--most of our friends and family use that entrance, anyway, so I've never missed a foyer.

lavender_lass, we've had a couple of woodstoves, so my recommendation (for your dream kitchen) would be a pellet stove. The pellets are so much easier than cord-wood--no bugs, splinters or frozen debris falling in the floor. We used to put a bag of pellets in a 12-gallon crock beside the stove, and used a scoop for refills, very country! Now that our kids aren't around to carry in bags of pellets, I'm thankful to have the gas log--I'm getting lazy in my old age.

I remember 'The Holiday' kitchen from moccasinlanding's movie thread--it is so charming.

And, speaking of kitchens, I'll go off-topic:

Has anyone here read Ray Bradbury's 'Dandelion Wine'? The next-to-last chapter describes the main character's Grandmother's kitchen. Or, not so much the kitchen, as her method of cooking. I keep it marked and re-read that chapter when I miss my own grandmother. I love that book!

"Grandma, he had often wanted to say, Is this where the world began? For surely it had begun in no other than a place like this. The kitchen, without doubt, was the center of creation, all things revolved about it; it was the pediment that sustained the temple." Douglas Spaulding's character in DANDELION WINE.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Dandelion Wine is one of my all time favorite books. I highly recommend it. It's not the usual Bradbury science fiction.

In my small house I wish I had a laundry room on the main floor, an entrance hall, a second full bath and a private yard. And a swimming pool!

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I'd say entry too but - not many people enter. dbf or my sister or a friend. one at a time (not in a group). or a dog. so I guess it's big enough for 1 person...

the other rooms, while not that big, are fine. if I HAD to pick one it'd be the tv/computer room, it's 10x12. While making it bigger I'd make the outside wall mostly glass.

• User
    13 years ago

"Grandma, he had often wanted to say, Is this where the world began? For surely it had begun in no other than a place like this. The kitchen, without doubt, was the center of creation, all things revolved about it; it was the pediment that sustained the temple." Douglas Spaulding's character in DANDELION WINE.

MamaGoose and Dedtired, I thank you for giving a good review to the book. I am not that much into sci-fi, and would have thought it the usual Bradbury fare.

I also like to get books on Audible.com and listen to them being read as I do my long drives north and south. One of my favorites is ANGELA'S ASHES being read by the author, Frank McCort. I'll look for Dandelion Wine there too. Your quote has excellent rhythm to it.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"It was a big kitchen, old-fashioned but well enough planned...there was a cream-coloured Aga, nestling under the old mantelpiece as it it had been built with the house...opposite the fireplace was a tall dresser with rows of pretty plates in white and power-blue, with cups to match hanging along the fronts of the shelves. The new fashion for built-in kitchen units and "worktops" had not reached so far into the wilds it appeared. The big table in the middle of the room gave all the working space necessary, and there was another long table under the window..." Thornyhold, by Mary Stewart.

I've always loved this kitchen...good book, too :)

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

The floor.

I love my house. I love the small spaces. I wouldn't want another room added, but sometimes I wish...when DD and I want to dump the tub of Barbies all over the floor & play all day...that I could push a button and gain a temporary 10x10 spot of floor area for Barbie time. Push the button and all would be back to normal when we're done.
    Gayle

• johnmari
    13 years ago

Bathroom, no doubt about it. I can handle having a single full bathroom (I got spoiled on two at my last house, awfully nice to have my own bathroom) but this one is too small for a separate tub and shower and there's nowhere to scavenge any more room. At my last house the master bathroom was only 8x8, very small compared to a lot of people on the bathroom forum, but I was able to finagle a lovely clawfoot tub and sensibly sized shower stall in there along with a nice sized console sink and of course the necessary WC, and it didn't seem the slightest bit crowded. This one is a 5x9.5 "bowling alley" and I'd really love to have just an extra few feet to have both a good soaking tub (which I really need for helping chronic pain, and not one of those ugly modern-looking "ergonomic" things either!) and a nice shower for DH.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

lavender, what a wonderful description. When I was young and read books that mentioned "the old AGA", I had no idea what it meant. Now, with the internet, I love looking at pictures of those charming old work-horses.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

I'd like a wee bit more room for the dining table, but I crammed my desk into the corner next to the table, so that's my fault, not the house's fault. :)

Other than that, I'd like the hallways to be a little wider than the standard hallway because, in this small house, it's hard to maneuver an upright vaccum cleaner around the corners without bumping into something.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mama goose- Aga stoves always seem like the perfect piece for a country kitchen. I just don't know how much heat they would give off in the summer, but they'd be great in the winter :)

• gryane
    13 years ago

I would vote for a dining room and a laundry room for sure!

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

guest bedroom. Would love a full size bed in there instead of a daybed. and the powder room: I wish it had a shower so I'd have two bathrooms to bathe in. AND I wish my upstairs bedrooms, master bath didn't have such low ceilings that slope downwards.

but I still love my little cottage despite my "a girl can dream" list.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths