Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Lavender Lass

ellendi
9 years ago

Haven't seen you in a while. How are you?

Comments (29)

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, where are you? Pop in to just say hi now and then at least so we know you are ok. : )

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Hi! I'm here...and okay. Just waiting to see what happens next. My husband is slowly recovering, but in the middle of all this, we were foreclosed on.

This happened last winter. We were going through a medical bankruptcy (even with the best insurance....eight to ten months in hospital and rehab and they quit paying) and we were supposedly restructuring our mortgage.

Long story....person left company, difficult to get anything in writing (despite my numerous attempts) and finally ended up with judicial foreclosure in the middle of our bankruptcy. Still not sure exactly how that happened....but the judge went along with it and we're out in April. At least we had a year to find a new place.

So....all my many house plans were for nothing. Well, maybe not, because I still want to buy an old farmhouse...and we have to have room for the horses. We're looking at a really great area with incredibly low prices. I'll let you know what happens, but the main thing is my husband is home and slowly getting better.

My mom still wants to move in with us, so that's something to look forward to...as she loves to cook, garden, and all things design. Plus, she and my husband get along great and I'm probably the only one wanting a larger home so we all have our own spaces! LOL

I haven't said anything about this, mainly because it happens to so many people, especially with medical problems. I am a VERY determined person, so I refuse to end up in a heap feeling sorry for myself. I will find a great place that probably needs some work (thank goodness for my multi-talented brother, who knows plumbing, electrical) and room for horses, kitties, etc.

I just keep telling myself...I'm one of the lucky ones. My husband came home and he's all in one piece. Between the situations I saw in the hospital, rehab and all the conflicts going on in the world...a lot of people can't say that.

So....I will let you all know how things go, but I'm sure we will find something that will work for all of us and our many flowers, shrubs, small trees, etc. Mom's got a bunch, as do we...and we need room for those, too.

I have to say, I think my grandmother would be proud...she always said Scottish women don't quit. They get up, dust themselves off and keep going. They're stubborn! And they know, they really don't have any other choice :)

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update. So sorry for all your troubles. wishing you the best.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Didn't expect this news, sorry about the house and all. But like you say, you'll get back up and dust yourself off. Take care.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Not too worried...I'm really excited to see if these opportunities work out. I'd love to have an old farmhouse and maybe a little town to go with it. Tired of driving 25 minutes to the store, but I will miss the view! But not walking up the hill...LOL

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Great attitude LL. You will come out of this. Hopefully better off then when you went in. So glad to hear your hubby is doing better.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that LL. And hate that you are losing your family homestead. Your attitude is amazing and yes, you are lucky that your dh recovered and you can start over. Good luck with the search. Find a place where cars won't crash through your front porch. ;)

• phoggie
    9 years ago

It is good to hear from one of my favorite posters...but sorry you are having financial problems...medical bills can certainly take a toll on money as well as emotions. I am so pleased to know your DH is getting better and pray he will continue to do so. You are such a positive person and I admire you for being able to be that way in your circumstances. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope for that perfect little farm house for you and your horses. Hugs!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

When I worked at a bank in credit dept, my boss was SVP loans. He told me he had more confidence in someone who had taken some hard knocks and made a recovery than he did someone who had never faced misfortune....You had no way of knowing HOW that person would handle adversity.
    So, Lav, keep your chin up and keep your eyes open , opportunity will come .

Good to hear DH is home, and your mom is on board for a new adventure.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Oh lavender_ lass, I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time, but sooner or later something good will happen. Hang in there.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the good thoughts! We're going to look at a place on Friday, but I don't want to say too much, until we get more details.

Marti- LOL! I have that on my list...far enough from road, so no trucks hitting the house :)

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

If I were closer I'd babysit your horses while you regroup. I don't suppose you'd want to relocate to the Midwest? There are acreages here. One a couple of miles from me that would probably be a negotiable price. The down side; a fair distance to a hospital. Still, not a long trip to Mayo Clinic.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thanks! No, too far to go to Midwest, although my mom is from that area. We're looking at a place about 1/2 an hour from hospitals, but with a good EMS. Hopefully, hospital visits are done...at least for a while :)

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Here's one home we really like, but too soon to tell if it will work out. Very charming, though :)
    {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Hi LL, so glad to see your post. I'm sorry about your place. You've definitely had more than your share, but they say everything happens for a reason, and with your resiliency and a little time, this will all work out, I know it will!

I love that house with its front porch.

• phoggie
    9 years ago

Hi LL~~ I try to read your posts from time to time to keep up with you a bit. You are such a positive person that I know you will be able to work things out.
    The house is charming, but oh my, all I can see is "steps"! You might need to think "handicap assessable"....and you are well aware of how I feel about that as we age.
    Take care and God be with you always!

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with phoggie. But, it looks like this home is large enough that you could live on one floor when needed.

My cousin is 74 married to a 91 year old man. They live in a townhouse, with three levels. She has been talking about getting a chair lift for ages, but he refuses. He was 70 when they moved in. I don't think I would buy a trilevel house at 70!

LL, I'm thinking this home meets all your needs. Room for your Mom and enough land for the horses.

And, it look farm house like, which suits you!

9 years ago

WANT those porches! Either or both. I keep thinking about it but I'm too close to the gravel road. It wouldn't be possible to sit in it.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses :)

No worries on the steps...the left side porch is almost level with the ground on the side, which is close to parking. If we get this home, I plan to screen that porch and make the smaller (right) porch the 'guest' area. This has a vestibule and is the main entry. The other porch leads into the family/kitchen area.

Still haven't actually gotten inside for a tour, but maybe this week. Complications (aren't there always?) but it looks like it might work out! I'll let you know, when I find out more info....

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

So....cute white house has been rented for at least a year. However, we're looking at a smaller home next weekend. It's been a rental for over 10 years and I have no idea what kind of shape it is in...but it has almost 10 acres, so who cares? LOL

Seriously, when you have horses, you tend to look at land first, then barns, then quality of pasture and water...oh, and then house. As it happens, the owner of the property bought the house sight unseen...because she had horses! :)

I promise...we will see the house before rushing into anything, but it's funny and a good sign, that horses did well on this property. The house is supposed to be 3 bedroom, one bath, large living room, sunny dining room, kitchen and back porch. I'm sure we can do something amazing with it, if everything works out.

Promise to give you all an update, after we see the house!

• phoggie
    9 years ago

Thinking good thoughts for you, LL....you are a "rock"!

9 years ago

I understand! When I bought this place for my horses it had everything I needed and there was a house with it, too! And the day I moved in I saw 1970 wall to wall to wall green shag carpet! How did I not see that before? Blinded by the barn and land, I guess. Back in the day, I bought a truck for my dog so it seemed logical to buy an acreage for my horse.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Phoggie- Thank you :)

Lov- LOL! So true...you take care of the 'kids' first.

So, we are hoping to see the place this weekend...and I'm getting a little nervous. So excited to move forward, but also hoping this place will work for us. My first worry is the barn...will it be in good enough shape for our horses AND the hay?

Also...what shape is the house in? It's been a rental for a long time (and they had many dogs) so I'm hoping there's nice flooring under the carpets. I have a feeling those may have to go...

Wouldn't it be great to walk in and find out there's a fireplace in the kitchen? There is a wood stove pipe in that area of the house, but I don't know if we'll be that lucky. But it could make it easier to add a small stove in one corner.

My dream little sitting area... {{gwi:1496748}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

The probable reality (LOL) {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

But, with a 'little' cleaning and some paint...hopefully anything is possible. And the cat seems to like it :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Good Luck Hope you find a fantastic house and land for your animals.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I changed computers (upgraded) and managed to mess up my picture albums....again. Sorry, but I do still have most of them if anyone wants a cottage pic.

As for the home search....we went to see the little blue house (finally) that comes with the acreage. We walked around the outside last weekend, but finally saw the inside.

It's going to need some work, but it does have potential. We couldn't move in 'as is' although people were living in it, up to a month ago. I think they left there dogs inside...a lot. Without letting them out, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, after YEARS of trying to come up with ideas for our old farmhouse (which is even in more need of repair) I think I can come up with some great ideas for this little house.

It does have some nice views and if we open up a few walls, I think it could be just right for us. The kitchen and bath need a lot of work (don't they always?) but there are some nice details and the layout is good. No bathroom in the middle of the house or awkward roof lines. That makes things much easier!

Still talking to owner about price, etc. but with a lot of work, this could be a very nice little home and have some of the charming details I've always wanted. I don't need a huge house, but I do like larger rooms with fireplaces. As most of you know....big kitchen, smaller work area, seating/table and some kind of fireplace/wood stove. So much cozier than separate spaces :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Sounds great I hope you find out soon. Did you get any pictures?

• User
    9 years ago

Shades beat me to it!

Yes indeed, did you get any pictures? I'm so glady you are getting your designing groove back, Lav! It's been a long and hard road to this point, and by dingo, I think I see a real smile and a bemused look on your face. I'm rooting for you, girl.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

LOL! Thanks to both of you :)

No pictures yet, but I'll try to take some this weekend. We are going back out with my brother (my electrical/plumbing expert) on Sunday. I'm hoping he gives me the thumbs up...and we can get the house.

We do need to find some place to live, while we're working on this home. There's a small (but cute) house a block away that would be a bit squished for all three of us, but would be wonderful for just my mom. Three lots and a single garage...plus all flat land with room for her gardens. Keeping my fingers crossed this all works out!

Off to drink another cup of tea...stop by and visit over on the other side, if you have a chance.

Also....this is a good day, so I've decided to share Mission Impossible Squirrel :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Impossible Squirrel

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 19:32