Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Calling MoccasinLanding

TxMarti
11 years ago

How is your construction going? Do you have that new range installed yet?

Comments (8)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

yeah, where are you?

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

My guess would be that they have gone to higher ground.........

• User
    11 years ago

Hey guys!
    Nothing installed yet. We are finishing up the house in MA to sell it. The flooring arrived here just Monday, 1000sq ft laid out in the Teahouse for safety, but of course now ISAAC is messing with us. It will be this winter before we get started, meanwhile I have the money in the bank for the work. And my lovely Bertazzoni range I admire just about every day.
    Even the kitchen will have the Bellawood 100 yr warranty Select Ash 3/4" x 5" wood. This style house can better use the wider boards. I know I got more than the floor required but I see it running up a wall somewhere. Like beadboard you know. And, I'm thinking should I buy a shallow depth tall fridge or not? It would make sense and then the french door fridge freezer could be sold somewhere. Maybe my friend who has rental homes would like it for one of her houses.

And, I found this link just now, which is why I headed over here. About Frank Lloyd Wright's attitude about small homes. He said we Americans just made homes larger to store our ever expanding STUFF. Think about it. Then cut the fat out of your space. You do not really NEED a lot of space. Not counting our bath and present two closets, our home will wind up being 950 sq feet max. Then I have the Teahouse for my studio work. The second bedroom has no bed, we presently use it as a study--I think "office" implies WORK and we do not WORK. STUDY fits the description much better due to all the books and reading we do there. Now, I'm thinking that the living room is the last room to require to pull its weight and function fully. The dining room will do that when it becomes an annex to the kitchen, with its nice window seat and cabs either side of that, and a bar on the opposite wall with seating for two right by the new range. And the back porch part of the kitchen will have 8' of sliders in the back wall so I can look out at my garden while sitting on the stool at the bar or while I cook. The slider will be wide enough to roll out bird cages to a new outdoor shower facing south, where the nosy neighbor cannot peep, and we'll have the deck extended just a few feet to make this possible. Like an open uncovered porch, but the gas water heater there, the power meter, and a small generator which is a necessity for places like ours subject to hurricanes and power outages. I wanted underground power, but not sure we can manage that with all the tree roots between us and the pole at the street. But we'll see. Then the living room. Well, I'll rehang the french doors across the opening to the dining room, where I can then locate our supposed "guest" facilities. For now, I have three parrot cages in there. It is 15' x 13 feet I think, largest room in the house, with a fireplace. A Murphy bed is a consideration. I now have just the love seat and 1 swivel rocking chair upholstered style in there, and a trio of chests to contain electronics, bird food, bird bowls etc. The TV is flat panel mounted above the mantle. My lovely daybed style sofa is on the sun porch, and we use it more there than we did in the living room. When I have a visitor that is where we always love to sit. It works very nicely for a 10 x 10 foot square room. It is now pulling its weight too.

Anyway, here is the Frank Lloyd Wright link. Enjoy. I've been gardening all summer. Hosta is a new passion. Hard to grow them in my climate, zone 9a

Here is a link that might be useful: Frank Lloyd Wright and SMALL HOMES

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

ML it all sounds so good. I love to have rooms function for more then one thing. I was picturing a guest wanting to sleep in the day bed on the porch. I fondly remember as a child going to my Grandmothers house in Long Beach CA and sleeping on her front porch. I just LOVED that. Joe and I almost bought a little house in Oregon several years ago because it was exactly my Grandmothers floor plan. Front porch included. I instantly felt at home when I walked in that front door and then realized why. I was at Grandmas again.

I am hoping that Bella Wood Flooring is save in the Tea House.

I kind of wish I could get one more use out of our guest room by adding a bookcase and making it a study. I am just our of room in there. LOL I might think on this harder.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

get whatever fridge makes the most sense for the 2 of you. if you're tall then a tall one should work.

glad to see ya back!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Hi, moccasinlanding, your hardwood floors sound beautiful--I like the wider boards. My fridge isn't counter depth, but recessed to look as if, and I really like the straight run.

My browser is hanging up on the link--I'll try again later.

Stay safe!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome back ML! If you can grow hostas there, I'm impressed. They will grow here, but the slugs eat them to nubs without constant care, and I'm more of a "let the strong survive" kind of gardener. lol

I guess Isaac didn't get too close to you then?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've looked at your link and while a 2 bedroom 1500 sq ft home is smaller than a lot out there today, it sounds pretty big to me. The rooms must be really big. No 10x10 bedrooms in that house!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz