Return to the Smaller Homes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cottage Neighborhood Trend

Posted by emagineer (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 17:25

This info came up in a news article from Cottage Living. It is rampant with ads and definitely a real estate site, so bear with me. I'm not selling anything. There are interesting stories about cottage size homes and locations.

What was most interesting to me is the town in CO being built from cottage homes which are moved from larger towns. Reading further are stories about living in smaller homes.

I looked at some of the prices and surprised at how high they are. But as written above, this is a real estate site. Although, maybe we are in a better place than those with large homes and our smaller living is the trend of tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Neighborhood

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cottage Neighborhood Trend

This is a link to a recent article from Yahoo with the same theme. Yeah, the prices are outrageous!

Here is a link that might be useful: New trends toward cottage living

o

Have you ever looked at a photograph of a quaint little village in Tuscany or some other european locale where the homes are modest and everything you need is within walking distance? Granted, the parcels are small but they still have courtyard gardens, etc. Why can't we duplicate that approach here more often? When the developers try with their "Planned Communities", they seem to fall short or are extrememly expensive. There must be a secret formula waiting to be rediscovered.

~Scott~

o

I don't think it's so much a secret formula as it is the fact that those homes in the quaint villages were built at a time when the medieval mindset led people to want to live very close to their neighbors and the cost of building a small home was well within reach for even a modestly successful merchant.

o

And, people don't usually like to live "that close" to a business, because of the noise, trucks, crowds, etc. City living is definitely different than country/suburban living!

o

I'm retired and know many in the same position I am who would love the possibility of living within an area like this. It becomes more difficult to manage traffic and get to areas for last minute items. Have never wanted to live in a retirement community. Mainly due to lack of "youth" around and prefer being part of a mixed group of people of all ages, activities. If there was a cottage neighborhood around, I would go for it. Only exception would be HOAs, which I abhor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Smaller Homes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here