Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

LifeEdited features smaller homes

User
11 years ago

....and I mean REALLY SMALLER homes.

Plus, they have information on how to achieve an affordable dwelling.

I'm quoting from the first paragraph of the latest newsletter from them, and it is illustrated at the website too. So if you are interested, I suggest you follow he link and read the entire article. I previously gave a link to the Frank Lloyd Wright smaller homes article they presented.

Quote:

When the recession hit in 2008, the restaurant Hari and Karl Berzins started went under. A year later, they were forced to sell their 3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft house. They were broke, raising a couple kids and forced to take whatever jobs their then Florida home had to offer.

Thinking of ways out of their predicament, they came across the book "Mortgage Free" by Rob Roy; the book promotes the idea of�you guessed it�being mortgage free by buying the best piece of land you can find, setting up a temporary dwelling, then building the home you want on your timetable�all in cash. They found plans from the Tiny House Blog for what their temporary abode would look like.

Karl set about building their 320 sq ft home (a figure that includes a sleeping loft). Like most tiny homes, it began on a trailer bed to avoid building regulations. He started the project in Florida, then moved it to a 3 acre plot of land in the woods of the Blue Ridge Mountains about a year ago. The total cost of the home itself was $12K, greatly offset by scavenged materials.

Keep reading

...end quote

Here is a link that might be useful: Life Edited rural life

Comments (2)